Candids Section - Should It Be Gone?

thatguest

I love this forum. I love the community on here, the assorted chats to be had in this section of the forum, and the diverse range of bodies and attitudes that it showcases. 

I know that there's a dark side to this forum, and it's getting harder to sit by and ignore it. At the top of that list is the presence of the candids section.

Does anyone else find it difficult to reconcile the good of this forum with the fact that we have an entire section dedicated to such creepy behaviour; dedicated to people going out into public places and taking photos of people without their knowledge to post online?

I'd love to see this part of curvage removed from existence. It's just wrong.  Thoughts?

It's an uncomfortable discussion but I agree. If Curvage wants to be a serious platform and a feedism community, it needs to move away from allowing people to post stalker-style pictures of girls without their consent.

The way I see it, there are two sorts of kink websites in today's age.

One is a community - it attracts people who want to chat, meet, and be involved themselves. This is a site where both men and women can engage and feel comfortable putting themselves out there. It's a site where models can feel safe and encouraged to post content. It's a place where people feel that their privacy and consent are being considered, because they know they will be respected in general. This is the "good" kink site.

Then, there's the p*rn sharing kink site. Here, people just share whatever content they find, whether it's meant to be shared or not. It's an anonymous site, so no one is responsible for stolen content or unkind discussions. It's where you post pictures of your friend who's getting fat and you want the world to oggle the same thing you see. There's no community, just objectification. It's the kind of site you go for p*rn, and then leave. This is the "bad" kink site.

Curvage can't be both. I know it started as a fat celebs site, but today, it's primary selling point is a hub for models. Those models want to feel safe sharing their content and personal story on Curvage. But how can they ever reconcile that when just a few forums down people are sharing pictures of random girls in compromising positions? 

Look, I know this isn't easy to discuss. This is a kink site. At the end of the day, we're all here because we share a sexual preference, and that can create conflicting interests. But I think Curvage has grown to the point where those conflicts can't be reconciled anymore, and we need to let go of the seedier parts of this site's past.

Guest Carcer89
On 9/8/2023 at 1:40 PM, thatguest said:

I love this forum. I love the community on here, the assorted chats to be had in this section of the forum, and the diverse range of bodies and attitudes that it showcases. 

I know that there's a dark side to this forum, and it's getting harder to sit by and ignore it. At the top of that list is the presence of the candids section.

Does anyone else find it difficult to reconcile the good of this forum with the fact that we have an entire section dedicated to such creepy behaviour; dedicated to people going out into public places and taking photos of people without their knowledge to post online?

I'd love to see this part of curvage removed from existence. It's just wrong.  Thoughts?

I confess I've never been entirely comfortable with the Candids section. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see (and indeed support) people with bodies of any size and weight, as long as they themselves are happy. But sharing pictures taken in public without permission from the person in question? I find that slightly uncomfortable.

But I suppose if I'm not keen, I can choose not to browse that section 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Carcer89 said:

I confess I've never been entirely comfortable with the Candids section. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see (and indeed support) people with bodies of any size and weight, as long as they themselves are happy. But sharing pictures taken in public without permission from the person in question? I find that slightly uncomfortable.

But I suppose if I'm not keen, I can choose not to browse that section 🤷‍♂️

But by simply ignoring it without doing anything about it, are we being indirectly complicit?

20 hours ago, ES-Draws said:

It's an uncomfortable discussion but I agree. If Curvage wants to be a serious platform and a feedism community, it needs to move away from allowing people to post stalker-style pictures of girls without their consent.

The way I see it, there are two sorts of kink websites in today's age.

One is a community - it attracts people who want to chat, meet, and be involved themselves. This is a site where both men and women can engage and feel comfortable putting themselves out there. It's a site where models can feel safe and encouraged to post content. It's a place where people feel that their privacy and consent are being considered, because they know they will be respected in general. This is the "good" kink site.

Then, there's the p*rn sharing kink site. Here, people just share whatever content they find, whether it's meant to be shared or not. It's an anonymous site, so no one is responsible for stolen content or unkind discussions. It's where you post pictures of your friend who's getting fat and you want the world to oggle the same thing you see. There's no community, just objectification. It's the kind of site you go for p*rn, and then leave. This is the "bad" kink site.

Curvage can't be both. I know it started as a fat celebs site, but today, it's primary selling point is a hub for models. Those models want to feel safe sharing their content and personal story on Curvage. But how can they ever reconcile that when just a few forums down people are sharing pictures of random girls in compromising positions? 

Look, I know this isn't easy to discuss. This is a kink site. At the end of the day, we're all here because we share a sexual preference, and that can create conflicting interests. But I think Curvage has grown to the point where those conflicts can't be reconciled anymore, and we need to let go of the seedier parts of this site's past.

Brilliantly said. Mods, what's your stance on this?

Guest Carcer89
5 hours ago, thatguest said:

But by simply ignoring it without doing anything about it, are we being indirectly complicit?

That is true, I get what you're saying.

I'd definitely rather see it gone.

Guest Carcer89
9 hours ago, anonanonm said:

am I the only one that doesn’t see the candids section on the site?

I think you need a certain amount of reputation before it displays. Not sure how much though.

12 hours ago, thatguest said:

@vennie @S77 Where do the mods stands on this issue? I can't think of any good or ethical reason for the candids section to remain. If it does remain, I think a lot of us would want to know why. 

Edit: At first I thought to lock this thread as we have had this conversation repeatedly ad nauseam.

However, Curvage is maturing as a website. In truth we are one of the largest websites in our niche. We aren't the small forum we once were, perhaps this conversation should play out. 

It's worth noting that the section in question was created at the behest of this community, following numerous requests and comments, as illustrated by the quote below:

i'd prefer if they were all in one section so it would be easier for me to not see that shit.

Thank you

• S77 locked and unlocked this topic
Guest Carcer89
11 hours ago, S77 said:

Edit: At first I thought to lock this thread as we have had this conversation repeatedly ad nauseam.

However, Curvage is maturing as a website. In truth we are one of the largest websites in our niche. We aren't the small forum we once were, perhaps this conversation should play out. 

It's worth noting that the section in question was created at the behest of this community, following numerous requests and comments, as illustrated by the quote below:

Thank you

Appreciate that you mods see the same things over and over again, but thank you for your patience and the work you do to keep the site going 👍

On 9/8/2023 at 2:40 PM, thatguest said:

First of all, excuse my bad english. I want to respect all kind of views. But I think, the candid section is not wrong. 

So in the Curvy Women Picture Compilation you can also threads(girls in nightclubs, fat angel) and some others, where you can also sending in the candid section, it has the same charakters. Or is situation in a nightclub différent by a trainstation. Did they ask the girls, when they took the pictures. Yes, it is a problem, when you made pictures of other persons(mostly girls), you don,t ask them, if they agreed. 

When I send pictures in candid section, I have changed their faces and their clothes. 

If the staff decide, to retire the candid section, it would be sad. But I also think, this décision is very complicated. 

So I like girls, Who are only fat or obese. I don,t man these girls, when you are google the net. 

So, I hope, you I have decleare my view. 

The content expressed in the candids forum will exist regardless of what people feel is ethical or OK. Might as well be on a site such as this which is aptly regulated and moderated to protect the identity of individuals seen within the content. Do we really want to force this type of activity onto 4chan and the dark web? I doubt those mediums will entail any sort of meaningful content moderation or identity protection.

Just my 2 cents

The knee jerk reaction is that yes candids are creepy, disrespectful and invade peoples privacy, but I have a few deeper thoughts:

1) These people are in public spaces, they know they’re being recorded by various security cameras at all times,  when I’m in certain touristy places in my city I’m appearing in many peoples photos albeit not usually as the subject of the photo but I’m being photographed nonetheless and anyone in public these days knows and accepts it  

2) The candids I’ve seen here aren’t upskirt nor focusing on young women or anything unsavoury of that nature, they’re just anonymous photos  of adult women that walk past in public spaces and any minors or anything which might give away their identity such as name badges are blurred out from what I’ve seen 

3) Is there really such a difference between eye fucking someone and snapping a photo of them? Women know many men will instinctively ogle them (it’s part of the reason many ladies try to look cute even if it’s just a Sunday trip to the grocery store and that’s undeniable) just as many women ogle men they find sexy. If they don’t know that someone has snapped a photo of them because it’s discreet which is the case 99% of the time then it seems like No harm no foul

4) More to the point it can’t be understated how many of these women would sadly have zero self esteem (most women I know who are even slightly overweight are extremely critical on themselves even in this era of so called body acceptance ) so I would contend that some of these women would actually be flattered on some level to know that there are guys out there who find them so attractive that they felt compelled to take a photo of them as they walked by (although admittedly they would probably prefer the guy went over and introduced himself rather than post their photos on a fetish site, but approaching in public is getting frowned upon too these days) - there’s also  a  sad phenomenon where women who don’t consider themselves attractive misattribute any attraction they receive to fetishism when really it’s often just regular sexual preference but that’s another topic

5) Ultimately it’s a bit rich to inveigh against candids when the brutal truth is that this community isn’t exactly healthy , which might sound like a truism at first thought but I’m referring to the psychological aspect - it’s awash with mental illness, self-loathing, exploitation, objectification, deception, egotism, enabling -  I’ve had deep conversations with many gainers and feedees over the years and  the underlying motivations for engaging are rarely as sexy and liberating as it seems on the surface, many just want to make fast money, many are doing it as a form of self flagellation , some have attracted unwanted attention in the past and are trying to uglify themselves, some just have untreated mental illness and body dysmorphia, and many men are here for perverse reasons - they don’t even have a kink but think overweight women will be easy and therefore they will hold the power (plus think they won’t be at risk of cheating on them), or love the idea of controlling someone who’s dependent upon them which is most often the foundation of feeding to immobility or SSBBW status, or in any case they’re just putting their own gratification ahead of the wellbeing of other people and dehumanising them which is the definition of sexual objectification - I would have to conclude that only the minority of folks are here for what I would call the right reason, which is a carefully deliberated decision to indulge in a fetish whilst maintaining respect and consideration for oneself and others 

Of course two wrongs don’t make a right but I think it’s a bit hypocritical to demonise candids when in many ways they’re categorically less harmful than much of what is going on in this community under the guise of body positivity and sexual liberation 

It should stay.

Yes some of it is creepy AF, and should be monitored, like some guy taking secret photos of a friend something. 

But most of us visit the candid section just to see the women that we enjoy looking at anyway in public spaces. Gals at the beach, in the walmart, etc. They're not bathroom creep shots, or dressing room hidden cameras.. just pretty ladies seen in public. 

Anyway thats what I think candids should represent. 

Why don't we wait for some of the models on the site to voice complaints, instead of just some random dudes feeling uncomfortable or trying to virtue signal. 

To add a bit more detail...

The problem isn't strictly the forum itself, especially where posting non-OC content is concerned. To be bothered about that is to be bothered after the horse has already bolted. My problem is the candid photography aspect itself. As others have said, it is creepy and disrespectful. I believe the existance of the candid section encourages people to take photos inappropriately, and also signals that it is okay to do so. Of course, street photography is legal in many places, but ethically, I think there's a difference between wandering around with a DSLR and being open about what you're doing, and trying to be discreet and take creepy photos on your phone.

It is a complicated issue with no clear cut answer because it is so subjective.

• S77 locked this topic