The Future of Obesity

Belly worshipper

So you know how you would read these supposed statistics of "50% of the global population will be obese in 10 years" or whatever it is. Is it wrong that it excites me? Does it ever get you thinking what the world would be like if more people would be obese? Like wouldn't that definitely help change the public perception of fat people to the point where it would potential cause more and more people to be attracted to it? The more relaxed stance on obesity would do wonders. Like remember the movie WALL-E where every human being was fat? Imagine that IRL. 

An interesting prospect, to be sure; it would be an FA or FFA's heaven. Part of me would love to see the tell-tale signs of an obese culture - the broken and then reinforced, wider furniture, the ill-fitting outgrown clothes and subsequent prominence of stylish bigger fashions in store windows. It would be wonderful to see the fatter body as mainstream.  

I had a very pleasant "private simulation" of such a scenario. A long time ago, I spent a month in Myanmar, one of the poorest countries in Asia. There were few tourists back then, and the typical figure of the locals was between very thin and emaciated. Coming back to Europe was a shock (a good one, though). When just walking on the street and looking at people, I thought "OMG they are fat here". Our chubby girls where whales in comparison.

The BMI evaluates only the weight and does not consider the muscles. However, I believe that the new generations are much less athletic than the previous ones. Both because young people play less sport and because the number of people who do hard physical work has greatly decreased. So the increase in overweight people is even more significant

Its definitely gratifying to read these news articles discussing how prevalent obesity is becoming and its got to be a reason why body-positivity is growing since more people becoming plus size should also result in more people who are inclined to support the movement due to their personal relation to it.

But I'm torn for my own selfish reasons. On the one hand, a fatter society interests me as an appreciator of bigger bodies, but on the other hand I wonder if being plus-size will remain taboo after the majority of people are obese, because if so then the hotness of being a weight you "shouldn't" weigh or being with someone who "shouldn't" weigh what they weigh may diminish.

Guest Is that a belly?
6 hours ago, Wingus-Tingus said:

Its definitely gratifying to read these news articles discussing how prevalent obesity is becoming and its got to be a reason why body-positivity is growing since more people becoming plus size should also result in more people who are inclined to support the movement due to their personal relation to it.

But I'm torn for my own selfish reasons. On the one hand, a fatter society interests me as an appreciator of bigger bodies, but on the other hand I wonder if being plus-size will remain taboo after the majority of people are obese, because if so then the hotness of being a weight you "shouldn't" weigh or being with someone who "shouldn't" weigh what they weigh may diminish.

That's why I love going to the US. It's like a dystopia. Being fat is so normalised most women you see are fat, but I have the privilege of seeing it with fresh outsider eyes.

• Curvage Model
On 2/28/2023 at 2:47 AM, M93 said:

Both because young people play less sport and because the number of people who do hard physical work has greatly decreased.

It's definitely true that civilization/survival demands less physical exertion of us. Though I also think there's a growing movement toward physical activity for enjoyment and better health beyond weight loss, which is a huge positive trend imo. Plus food is much more available than ever before. The factors that influence body weight are so many and complex, however, that I don't think people's heavier weight on average is 100% accounted for by these two trends alone. I would say that acute stressors are fewer today but that we've exchanged them for a more or less chronic level of stress/anxiety that probably also has something to do with people gaining weight. On top of that, I genuinely believe that, ironically, diet culture has probably led to huge amounts of weight gain at the population level due to the stress and other effects on our body and metabolism that it induces. So, funnily enough, I think if diet culture shriveled up and disappeared, people would actually be thinner overall!

13 hours ago, Wingus-Tingus said:

On the one hand, a fatter society interests me as an appreciator of bigger bodies, but on the other hand I wonder if being plus-size will remain taboo after the majority of people are obese, because if so then the hotness of being a weight you "shouldn't" weigh or being with someone who "shouldn't" weigh what they weigh may diminish.

As a feedist and someone attracted to fat bodies, I've never quite understood the whole "taboo" aspect. I mean, I can get why it would be hot to some, but it just doesn't do anything for me. I'd prefer to see less stigma and taboo-ness around weight.

6 hours ago, Is that a belly? said:

That's why I love going to the US. It's like a dystopia. Being fat is so normalised most women you see are fat, but I have the privilege of seeing it with fresh outsider eyes.

The U.S. is certainly dystopian in more than one regard, but I wouldn't say our size is one of them... 😕

Edited by MaisieMuffin

6 hours ago, MaisieMuffin said:

It's definitely true that civilization/survival demands less physical exertion of us. Though I also think there's a growing movement toward physical activity for enjoyment and better health beyond weight loss, which is a huge positive trend imo. Plus food is much more available than ever before. The factors that influence body weight are so many and complex, however, that I don't think people's heavier weight on average is 100% accounted for by these two trends alone. I would say that acute stressors are fewer today but that we've exchanged them for a more or less chronic level of stress/anxiety that probably also has something to do with people gaining weight. On top of that, I genuinely believe that, ironically, diet culture has probably led to huge amounts of weight gain at the population level due to the stress and other effects on our body and metabolism that it induces. So, funnily enough, I think if diet culture shriveled up and disappeared, people would actually be thinner overall!

Maybe it depends on where you live. I notice a general disinterest in sport and physical activity.
I agree with the great willingness to buy food, often even cheap, which is perhaps of poorer quality and therefore even more fattening.
I also agree with the talk of anxiety and wanting to lose weight the wrong way. We often do wrong diets that we can't sustain and when we stop we get fatter than before

This is for sure fascinating and exciting to contemplate!  My hope has to do with medical advances and obesity.   If we can develop better and better ways of treating diabetes, etc there will be even less motivation to not be obese.  We just have to hope that medicine doesn't make any progress on a really good weight loss drug or treatment.  Hopefully this proves more difficult than managing obesity related health problems.I

Also, can you imagine the snowball effect & group think that would take over for the general population?  If soon there are so few thin people around, no one would even register that being thin is somehow "better" as there's no one to be jealous of.

• Curvage Model
16 hours ago, hgee said:

My hope has to do with medical advances and obesity.   If we can develop better and better ways of treating diabetes, etc there will be even less motivation to not be obese.  We just have to hope that medicine doesn't make any progress on a really good weight loss drug or treatment.  Hopefully this proves more difficult than managing obesity related health problems.

I mean, think of what might have been achieved if all the time, money and resources that have been dedicated to eradicating fatness had instead been put toward treating health conditions regardless of weight. The huge portion of society that has been committed to making people thin has pretty much failed across the board. They like to pretend that fat people are a historical anomaly- that they didn't really exist in the past and shouldn't exist in the future. And while there are correlations between higher weights and health complications, this isn't really the root of their concern: their fatphobia is rooted more deeply in aesthetic, moral and status concerns.

As far as medical interventions for weight-loss, bariatric surgery is usually pretty effective, but also requires lifelong side effects/consequences. Pills, etc. that induce weight-loss, well... you'd pretty much have to stay on them indefinitely or regain the weight. Who knows what sort of side effects they'll come with, as artificially manipulating metabolism has traditionally not gone so well. But again, why not take the resources put toward weight-loss drugs and try to design medicines that, I don't know, provide some of the same positive health benefits of exercise, for example? It's pretty obvious that, as a whole, if there's less need for movement, we're going to move less. I don't quite see the point in trying to fight super common, innate tendencies of humanity.

Edited by MaisieMuffin

1 hour ago, MaisieMuffin said:

I mean, think of what might have been achieved if all the time, money and resources that have been dedicated to eradicating fatness had instead been put toward treating health conditions regardless of weight. The huge portion of society that has been committed to making people thin has pretty much failed across the board. They like to pretend that fat people are a historical anomaly- that they didn't really exist in the past and shouldn't exist in the future. And while there are correlations between higher weights and health complications, this isn't really the root of their concern: their fatphobia is rooted more deeply in aesthetic, moral and status concerns.

As far as medical interventions for weight-loss, bariatric surgery is usually pretty effective, but also requires lifelong side effects/consequences. Pills, etc. that induce weight-loss, well... you'd pretty much have to stay on them indefinitely or regain the weight. Who knows what sort of side effects they'll come with, as artificially manipulating metabolism has traditionally not gone so well. But again, why not take the resources put toward weight-loss drugs and try to design medicines that, I don't know, provide some of the same positive health benefits of exercise, for example? It's pretty obvious that, as a whole, if there's less need for movement, we're going to move less. I don't quite see the point in trying to fight super common, innate tendencies of humanity.

Beautifully said, thanks for posting. Great points, the science has definitely been corrupted by fat phobia and it has to stop!

3 hours ago, MaisieMuffin said:

I think this is an extreme take on the Healthcare field. People on here have to remember that being fat is a major part of our identities here, but it's mostly exclusive to this community. Most people in society don't really think much or have strong feeling about fat people from my experience. I also highly doubt there's many people going into the medical field because they're "fatphobic." I mean, it takes longer to get a career in this field than any other I can think of. You have to be truly dedicated to make it in this career, and I think the vast majority of people going into this field just care about the health of people. There are no I'll intentions. I also feel like the health risks associated with obesity are being undermined here. Osteoarthritis, strokes, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, gallbladder diseases, and plenty more. These are life-changing health risks. This is all a fetish and part of my identity, but that's it. Our desire to be overweight and obese is an instinctual sexual desire, and it's perfectly fine to work towards our goals of becoming such or appreciating such. The thing is it comes at a cost, and that's okay. Most people here are willing to take the risks of their health to fulfill their desires. That doesn't make it right for us to villainize people who are dedicating their lives to better the health of others. Keep in mind, obesity is just one of many aspects of the health field. It's probably nowhere close to as big of a deal to anyone else because it isn't so closely tied to their identity like us.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is let others live their life and don't assume the worst of them. Let's just live our lives, and keep it at that. It doesn't need to be a big deal. Relax, everyone.

7 hours ago, Deviant said:

The thing is it comes at a cost, and that's okay. Most people here are willing to take the risks of their health to fulfill their desires. That doesn't make it right for us to villainize people who are dedicating their lives to better the health of others. Keep in mind, obesity is just one of many aspects of the health field. It's probably nowhere close to as big of a deal to anyone else because it isn't so closely tied to their identity like us.

To re-enter the fray, I think this is important. Civility should remain front of mind as we remain true to what we believe and what we desire when we consider others. 'Fatphobia' does exist, namely, and as we know too well, in the social media sphere where it is simple to toss a salvo over the bows and then ignore the consequences. Memes and hurtful commentary follow. Fatphobia exists in the medical profession, as well. From the experience of others - friends, family and colleagues - they tell of doctors or nurses making comments about their weight while under examination, that it complicates procedures and scans, and that to them it was said with malice. There's no need to be unkind of course, but I believe most in the profession say things like this in the way they tell someone who's put a pencil up their nose (or Mr Bean with his hand stuck in a kettle) 'that was clever now, wasn't it? Let's get you mended then'. Emotional intelligence and empathy are hard things to cultivate for many. 

I think we all know that obesity leads to health problems. As well as excessive thinness. Or at least an unhealthy diet. But also other things like the consumption of alcohol and drugs or smoking cigarettes. By now we are all well informed but we still make choices that may seem wrong and harmful. For example, I'm of average weight but have been a smoker for years. I know smoking cigarettes is not good for my health but I do it anyway because it feels good. I truly believe that indulging our pleasures, even if it exposes us to the risk of disease and perhaps will make us live a few years less, is necessary to live happily.

Returning to the speech of the doctors, they are obviously obliged to warn us of the risks we run. But then everyone can choose

Guest Is that a belly?
13 hours ago, Deviant said:

I think this is an extreme take on the Healthcare field. People on here have to remember that being fat is a major part of our identities here, but it's mostly exclusive to this community. Most people in society don't really think much or have strong feeling about fat people from my experience. I also highly doubt there's many people going into the medical field because they're "fatphobic." I mean, it takes longer to get a career in this field than any other I can think of. You have to be truly dedicated to make it in this career, and I think the vast majority of people going into this field just care about the health of people. There are no I'll intentions. I also feel like the health risks associated with obesity are being undermined here. Osteoarthritis, strokes, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, gallbladder diseases, and plenty more. These are life-changing health risks. This is all a fetish and part of my identity, but that's it. Our desire to be overweight and obese is an instinctual sexual desire, and it's perfectly fine to work towards our goals of becoming such or appreciating such. The thing is it comes at a cost, and that's okay. Most people here are willing to take the risks of their health to fulfill their desires. That doesn't make it right for us to villainize people who are dedicating their lives to better the health of others. Keep in mind, obesity is just one of many aspects of the health field. It's probably nowhere close to as big of a deal to anyone else because it isn't so closely tied to their identity like us.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is let others live their life and don't assume the worst of them. Let's just live our lives, and keep it at that. It doesn't need to be a big deal. Relax, everyone.

Thank you. Some times this place feels like being in a cult.

• Curvage Model
20 hours ago, Deviant said:

I wasn't really talking of the healthcare field as a whole so much as the anti-obesity sectors of healthcare and beyond. And certainly, no one is going into healthcare because of their fatphobia.

I've also acknowledged health risks and correlations, and am not attempting to dismiss or undermine them.

Also, desired or not, every fat person takes at least some part of their identity from their size. It's impossible not to. Navigating and interacting with the world is different when your fat versus thin. The way people act toward you is different, accessibility is different.

You mention that anti-fatness is probably nowhere as as big a deal to anyone else who isn't a feedist? Excuse me? Have you talked with your non-feedist fat friends about their experiences, particularly when navigating healthcare?

Yes, I consider myself a feedist, but most of the information and beliefs I'm bringing here come from beyond this community. How aware and versed are in fat liberation, fat activism, etc.? Outside of your kink, do you have a clear fat-politic? Outside of faps and f**ks, what kind of ally are you?

Truly one of the most frustrating aspects of the feedism community is how ironically rife fatphobia still is here, at times more so than in many other non-feedist spaces and communities.

"Basically, what I'm trying to say is let others live their life and don't assume the worst of them."  - The exact advice that should be adopted by more people regarding their opinions and treatment of fat people.

Edited by MaisieMuffin

42 minutes ago, MaisieMuffin said:

Yes, I consider myself a feedist, but most of the information and beliefs I'm bringing here come from beyond this community. How aware and versed are in fat liberation, fat activism, etc.? Outside of your kink, do you have a clear fat-politic? Outside of faps and f**ks, what kind of ally are you?

Truly one of the most frustrating aspects of the feedism community is how ironically rife fatphobia still is here, at times more so than in many other non-feedist spaces and communities.

"Basically, what I'm trying to say is let others live their life and don't assume the worst of them."  - The exact advice that should be adopted by more people regarding their opinions and treatment of fat people.

In what way was anything I said "fat-phobic?" I don't need to be well-versed in fat liberation or whatever. I don't need to make this whole fat thing a huge part of myself. It's just a kink, and that's that. I said things that you didn't like to hear, and now you're trying to play this victim card. Fat people, such as myself, go through problems just like everyone else in every society. You're only a victim if you choose to be. Sure, I'm treated differently for my size every once in a while, but I just shrug it off and enjoy life. The unbelievably vast majority of people do not care at all that I'm big. No matter who you are, there's going to be people that will find something to criticize you over. That's just a part of life, and it isn't a big deal if you don't let it be. Just get some thick skin, man. I see this whole fat acceptance movement everywhere by the way. At every mall and most clothing stores, there's pictures of BBWs on the walls and bigger mannequins. You hear about it on the news every once in a while. You see it on places like Instagram, and there's a huge amount of support for it. That's fine. That's great. Good for the movement. I don't really care about it. I'm living fine as a fat guy. It seems like you need to relax, man. Not everyone needs to be as obsessed about this stuff as you. It's probably for the best. I'm not known as the fat guy. I'm known as the comic and musician to my friends and family because I worked on skills to improve myself. 

• Curvage Model
4 minutes ago, Deviant said:

In what way was anything I said "fat-phobic?" I don't need to be well-versed in fat liberation or whatever. I don't need to make this whole fat thing a huge part of myself. It's just a kink, and that's that. I said things that you didn't like to hear, and now you're trying to play this victim card. Fat people, such as myself, go through problems just like everyone else in every society. You're only a victim if you choose to be. Sure, I'm treated differently for my size every once in a while, but I just shrug it off and enjoy life. The unbelievably vast majority of people do not care at all that I'm big. No matter who you are, there's going to be people that will find something to criticize you over. That's just a part of life, and it isn't a big deal if you don't let it be. Just get some thick skin, man. I see this whole fat acceptance movement everywhere by the way. At every mall and most clothing stores, there's pictures of BBWs on the walls and bigger mannequins. You hear about it on the news every once in a while. You see it on places like Instagram, and there's a huge amount of support for it. That's fine. That's great. Good for the movement. I don't really care about it. I'm living fine as a fat guy. It seems like you need to relax, man. Not everyone needs to be as obsessed about this stuff as you. It's probably for the best. I'm not known as the fat guy. I'm known as the comic and musician to my friends and family because I worked on skills to improve myself. 

None of it was really fat-phobic, save maybe what seemed like a dismissal of weight discrimination being an issue outside of the feedist community.

Whoa whoa, not a victim, no victim cards. Just disagreement and discussion. Though I have friends who've gotten a fair amount of shit, etc. because of their weight. It may be relevant or not, but women I know seem to get the worst of it.

Do I come off as obsessed? I'm just expressing relevant ideas in a thread on the subject. It's not like this is my entire waking life. Though I have been listening to Maintenance Phase (100% recommend!) podcast on my work commutes for the last few weeks, so a lot of this is more on my mind than usual.

I'm cool, though, lol. (Maybe not 'calmer than you are' 🙃)  But I relish a good debate, so please excuse me for coming in hot.  🤝

18 hours ago, MaisieMuffin said:

It may be relevant or not, but women I know seem to get the worst of it.

This is a really important point that I think often gets forgotten about in these kinds of discussions - while guys do face some aspects of fatphobia, it's definitely more widely accepted for them to be fat (and to be seen as more than their weight) than it is for women. I think to say "well I'm fat and people don't care, so it must be like that for everyone" is a bit naive.

• 4 weeks later...

I think most in our community find the idea exciting. However for those who live in the USA I feel you guys are almost at your fat ceiling :p same goes for a lot of other very fat countries. And some others who are thinner likely won't see too much change.

Will make all the difference in the world for future FAs from countries such as India, Nigeria, Indonesia, etc though!