Can we please get to the bottom of this? (miley cyrus triple negative)

S77

So in one of her newer songs she can be heard singing the words "don't take nothing from nobody"

hold on .. lets just look at that again. "DONT take NOTHING from NOBODY"

WHOAAAAAAAA.. a triple friggen negative. Holy crap!!

I am not even sure what that says about society when our highest paid, most popular and most revered artists can't even speak English well enough to avoid double negatives much less an egregious grammatical folly of triple negative; but that's neither here nor there.

Honestly though, I have been trying to break this down. WTF does that even mean?

So if you DONT take NOTHING then you DO take SOMETHING... ok so I got that much

but what effect does it have on the verbalized concept to tack that third negative on there? English majors here want to chime in?

One possible answer is that you DO take SOMETHING from NOBODY but that's not really possible or even logical.  could it be like saying "we take shit from nobody"?? 3 negatives turn back around into a positive?

Just my random thoughts. Reply if you feel like it.

The world is going to hell.

In 10 years English will be transformed to a version which consist mostly of internet speak (LOL, ROFLCOPTER, LMAO, AFK), meme talk (wow, much cake, such sponge, wow, so cream, IT'S OVER 9000) and text abbrevations (hi y u no respond 2 my txt).

So in one of her newer songs she can be heard singing the words "don't take nothing from nobody"

I am not even sure what that says about society when our highest paid, most popular and most revered artists can't even speak English well enough to avoid double negatives much less an egregious grammatical folly of triple negative; but that's neither here nor there.

Honestly though, I have been trying to break this down. WTF does that even mean?

but what effect does it have on the verbalized concept to tack that third negative on there? English majors here want to chime in?

One possible answer is that you DO take SOMETHING from NOBODY but that's not really possible or even logical.  could it be like saying "we take shit from nobody"?? 3 negatives turn back around into a positive?

LOLcat Leetspeak gets under my skin! I swear I am one of five people left in the world who not only uses consonants in texting, I use punctuation as well!

It drives me up a wall to see gratuitous shorthanded bastardization of the English language in media. Fifty years ago, any Journo worth his Pulitzer aspirations would much rather die than print anything with atrocious grammar. Now, we have spealchek to do the editing for us. Same with television or radio. Whether it was the calm voice of the DJ playing classical music, or that hip cat spinning fresh beats and talking jive, that voice sounded clear, educated, and had diction. Now our lives are so damn truncated, that we have an acronym for laughing. FUCKING LAUGHING! Sorry, I will say "haha" or "That's Funny" long before I post that igonorant Jibber-Jabber that might as well be Aramaic.

What Miley Cyrus is doing is a self-expression of her individuality. Come on now, licking a sledgehammer is art. ::) It doesn't matter how uneducated she sounds, her fans are impressionable teens that see that not only is ignorance perfectly fine, IT'S GLORIFIED!!!!

Passsss... I'll stick to my mass about of obscenities in everyday conversation, and commas in my text messages, thank you very much!

It drives me up a wall to see gratuitous shorthanded bastardization of the English language in media. Fifty years ago, any Journo worth his Pulitzer aspirations would much rather die than print anything with atrocious grammar.

Ahem, you've made a couple of slips there, KFD:

"It drives me up a wall [as a Brit, I would say 'up the wall'] to see gratuitous shorthanded bastardization of the English language in the media. Fifty years ago, any Journo worth his Pulitzer aspirations would much rather have died than printed anything with atrocious grammar."

Oh well, Miley for president then.

Not "everyone", "anyone".

"It drives me up a wall [as a Brit, I would say 'up the wall'] to see gratuitous shorthanded bastardization of the English language in the media. Fifty years ago, any Journo worth his Pulitzer aspirations would much rather have died than printed anything with atrocious grammar."

Also, shouldn't it be spelled "medias"? As in the plural form of medium? I'm not sure about the english handling of that.

As far as i know media is the plural...

Yes, media is the Latin plural form of medium.

Oh, ok, thanks. I just checked and it's slightly different in french.

You know exactly what she means to say, you're just being intentionally dull.

Language is, believe it or not, fluid, and there is not a single set "correct" English. There are standardized forms and customs for various types of conversation, oratory, and writing/publication, and some that are more widespread than others, but there are many formal differences between types (Americans "run" for office, Brits "stand"), many idioms that don't make literal sense anymore, pidgin forms, and dialects. What's considered the "black" American dialect (as used in this song) has its own fairly standard, easily observed rules of grammar and syntax that make certain types of double/triple negatives valid or common and others absurd. Thus the movement to teach ebonics in certain academic settings - it isn't that ebonics breaks the rules of English, it just operates under different rules.

The offense one takes against linguistic "lapses" that go against the ruling order is a great indicator of how ignorant one actually is. Railing against a preposition at the end of a sentence or some downward evolution of the language is going out of one's way to help inform knowledgeable people that one knows little about the history of the language, how it came to be, or why certain rules became standard.

Aaaand that's why I try not to be too bitchy over someone's grammar. From what I understand, English, in terms of other languages, is actually quite difficult and weird language for people to learn, with a lot of weird rules that makes it really easy to fuck up sometimes.

This isn't a defense of Miley, BTW. Before she was a shitty country/pop artist, and now she's a shitty wanna-be hip-hop/pop artist.

Aaaand that's why I try not to be too bitchy over someone's grammar. From what I understand, English, in terms of other languages, is actually quite difficult and weird language for people to learn, with a lot of weird rules that makes it really easy to fuck up sometimes.

This isn't a defense of Miley, BTW. Before she was a shitty country/pop artist, and now she's a shitty wanna-be hip-hop/pop artist.

English is easy compared to other languages ;D 

You know exactly what she means to say, you're just being intentionally dull.

Language is, believe it or not, fluid, and there is not a single set "correct" English. There are standardized forms and customs for various types of conversation, oratory, and writing/publication, and some that are more widespread than others, but there are many formal differences between types (Americans "run" for office, Brits "stand"), many idioms that don't make literal sense anymore, pidgin forms, and dialects. What's considered the "black" American dialect (as used in this song) has its own fairly standard, easily observed rules of grammar and syntax that make certain types of double/triple negatives valid or common and others absurd. Thus the movement to teach ebonics in certain academic settings - it isn't that ebonics breaks the rules of English, it just operates under different rules.

The offense one takes against linguistic "lapses" that go against the ruling order is a great indicator of how ignorant one actually is. Railing against a preposition at the end of a sentence or some downward evolution of the language is going out of one's way to help inform knowledgeable people that one knows little about the history of the language, how it came to be, or why certain rules became standard.

Hear, hear! ...Although, professionally speaking, there are many who fail at a languages proper uses for such settings. It's still important to ingrain proper grammar and spelling. However, perhaps there will be an evolution of dialects over the years. As long as there is a mutual understanding, I don't see anything wrong with it. It might irritate me, but when it specifically comes to lyrics, I think it can be rather innovative and quirky. I tend to separate pop culture/media and professionalism for this reason.

Gotta love the self-proclaimed queen of twerking.

mCdmqBz.gif