zachi

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 4/18/2023 at 10:52 AM, thadrou90 said:

I do think this is true, but also that the “establishment” backlash against fat liberation has strengthened. So even though there are more voices pushing back against the thin ideal and diet culture, those invested in the status who have become even more aggressive and punitive in trying to stamp out that challenge. Where that leaves society as a whole is hard to measure, but I do feel like Bebe is a great example of where it leaves individual people on a psychological level—deeply conflicted, almost to the point of incoherence.

Definitely. I'm a regular consumer of "redpill media". They consistently have this need to throw fatties under the bus like its some end-all, be-all threat to civilization as we know it. There could be a scourge of human sacrifices happening in broad daylight and they'd still go out of their way to finger-wag fat women (never the men). I saw a video where the host boosted a Tweet about how chicks buy in to fatness more so than dudes... more so than dudes! Does this woman not have a TV.. or eyeballs?

At this point, one would think they might realize that fatshaming doesn't work - if anything, it probably makes people fatter. I'm not gonna name the show's host but, she's unlikeable on the mainstream. I can see why. But her reputation could ironically be a great asset in her campaign to fight obesity. Maybe if she were fat, it may actually inspire fat people to lose weight as a means to differentiate themselves from her.

I may have to flesh that idea out as a story pretty soon.

• maybejames changed the title to Bebe Rexha