Gaining the Weight for Saving the World

Batman76

3 hours ago, CyrilFiggus said:

Oh man, looks like this is becoming an epidemic!  Hopefully our heroines can rise up and fight back against Circe and Dr. Cale; it'd be a shame to see another downer ending like 'Willpowerless'.

Are you referencing "Wonder Woman: Willpowerless" by @maxymumspyder? Not to take this thread off-topic, and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't think the "downer" ending of that story made it a disappointment, much less "a shame."

Disempowerment through the subverting effects of weight gain is a big turn on for a nontrivial subset of readers (myself included). Applying that to a superhero icon is an easy way to amplify the reversal fantasy. Based on my familiarity with @maxymumspyder, I'd say playing up the destructive aspects of weight gain as progressive, uncontrollable, humiliating, unwanted, and irreversible was kind of the whole point of that story. If at the end somehow it all got undone, or it didn't wind up having much effect on the character, or it did but for some reason she didn't really mind--that, I think, actually might have made the ending a disappointment by virtue of undercutting the story's own theme.

Of course, @Batman76's story, while also involving superheroes and weight gain, has its own notably different tone and feel. I think that there already is (and definitely should be) plenty of creative room and audience appreciation here at Curvage for authors to feel not merely allowed, but encouraged, to share both stories that have "happy endings" and stories that don't.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, Batman76 said:

5 hours ago, Hotline_Dave said:

He also did that great mass effect story about Miranda a few years back. Still wish that one was continued. 

I should, but Mass effect is deaaaaaadddddd

Hey now, Bioware may have whiffed with maintaining the brand, but that hasn't prevented Miranda's seam-straining proportions from occasionally popping up (and out) elsewhere. XCOM 2, for example...

2019-04-12 (8).jpg