Have you been on exercise dates?

Tegass

Guest They keep getting fatter

We've been out jogging together, but it always ended up in her stopping after a short time and panting, so we know walk instead. Victory for me, I guess. The funny thing is she played basketball up to college level. Some athlete she is.

I have been on a few involving walks through parks; always nice scenery. One in particular sticks in my mind. We misjudged how far we'd end up walking, and also how unfit my girlfriend was, so found ourselves several hours late returning to campus for a lecture. I remember thinking, as we started off on the walk, how she was not dressed for the occasion, wearing flip flops. I need not have worried though, as by the first ten minutes or so of our 'date', she was red in the face, her breaths laboured, and she was sort of probing along with heavy strides. We spent most of the time setting 'destinations' - park benches, picnic tables - for us to reach, where we'd stop and watch the weather or birdlife. Neither of us mentioned the stop-start nature of our date. She liked the challenge, while I liked being outdoors with someone else. And, perhaps as we enjoyed ourselves so much, we continued to meet like this, even if it seemed she was making life harder for herself as she gained more weight as our studies progressed. 

• 2 weeks later...