I dislike how the new look for the site in 2023 wastes like 30% of my screen at all times.

namad

image.thumb.png.43334305f2b3db41e31cd92870a7d954.png
It'd be nice if that 30% of the screen didn't have to be wasted on a sidebar always. I guess the best of both worlds is to let people hide the sidebar?

Alternatively is there a hide sidebar button and I'm just too dense to notice where it is?

It's likely the forum software from invision community that S77 updated to has a mobile first design, since more people these days tend to browse the web on their phone than desktop.  I'm too lazy to check right now, but if you were to browse here through a phone, everything would probably fit to screen leaving no empty space at the sides.  Maybe there's a "responsive design" setting he can change so that the site detects desktop browsing, but idk.

He's talking about the new Topic Summary that is included for "some" threads. It's not "all times" as the title suggests, but some threads do look like this

image.png

It only shows when the When the number of pages is at least 3 or more.

And correct, this is a desktop view. it's not the same look on mobile as desktop.

The topic summary now appears under the first post in it's respective thread. This allows the full width of the thread to remain. However, I personally think this looks worse. I find the topic summary on the side to look elegant and I also find it useful. Being able to go right to the newest images in a thread using the topic summary is really handy.  Now the summary in it's new location will need to be expanded. This adds a click that isn't needed when it's on the side.

However, we are open to feedback, so give this new placement a try and see what you think

• 2 weeks later...

I would've said at all times because I was opening bookmarks to my favorite threads, all of which are gigantic. (So they would've met the criteria you described.)

Also if everyone but me prefers it one way, feel free to leave it that way. I had just been hoping it was a profile option I could toggle.

For my part, why did I hate it? Well, I never trust that sort of summary, so I still have to go check the newest page of the thread. But maybe others liked it?