Is it me, or is it a little slow around here for now?

thadrou90

This is probably a stupid question, but things do feel pretty slow on this forum to me lately. Maybe it's just COVID, and maybe I'm spending too much of my time here. But even compared to the early days of the pandemic, I feel like there's less posting and less new activity than usual.

Maybe we're all just too damn tired these days. Maybe real-life work obligations are keeping people tied up. Maybe celebrities who frolicked outside in the summer are cooped up in the winter. But I wonder if you agree that, relatively speaking, there's not a lot to see around here these days.

Guest flyingcloth

These threads are always a bit dangerous (as far as creating self-fulfilling prophecies of negativity), but I do think I'd agree with you. I'm relatively new around here, but things do seem rather quiet lately. Hopefully that all changes for the better!

4 hours ago, extra_m13 said:

probably... but i do now know of a better place. dimensionsmagazine has been drying up for a while. ff is a bit difficult

It's just as you say--it could be much worse!

17 hours ago, flyingcloth said:

These threads are always a bit dangerous (as far as creating self-fulfilling prophecies of negativity), but I do think I'd agree with you. I'm relatively new around here, but things do seem rather quiet lately. Hopefully that all changes for the better!

Your comment actually led me to edit the title, just so it wouldn't be too self-fulfilling...

But yeah, I don't imagine it'll be slow forever. I just figure the state of the world makes it harder for things to be busy around here.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ahorsewithnoname

Been following the community since Yahoo groups. For 20 years, I've noticed there's like a peak and trough pattern. You'll go like a whole year where there's barely anything from anyone, just surviving the famine. Then, things will build over a year, and for like 6 months there'll be so much new content. Then, it'll plateau for like a year. New content will fall off a cliff, and then you're back in that first stage.

Some models keep on producing during this period and hang around for a long time. But most of the time it seems like gainers come and go in chunks (pun intended).

• 2 weeks later...