Pride Goeth After a Fall-by Maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon

Author’s note:  We meet Wendy Morgan, a 27 year old employee on the Queen of the Sea, a luxury cruise ship. We meet her preparing to teach her aerobics class. Follow the adventures of our main character, who is not exactly delighted at the prospect of becoming a BBW.

Pride Goeth After a Fall

Preface

Wendy tied her jogging shoe and as per her habit, took stock of her appearance before heading up to the second deck.  The spandex outfit was not forgiving; but so far she was as fit and trim as her college days. In high school she had stopped growing at 4-9”, and her slim 90-pound frame made her an ideal gymnast. In fact, she actually could have passed for a new version of Cathy Rigby. She remembered fondly her victory on the uneven parallel bars in the NCAA final, in ’02. It was her fifteen minutes of fame, as she hadn’t qualified for Athens. 

Peering carefully into the mirror, she could see the tiniest wrinkles at the corner of her eyes. Miss Clairol made sure any hint of gray in her short blond hair would not see the light of day. Vanity satisfied for now, she sprinted down the corridor. She needn’t have hurried. The class was empty. Again. She sighed and waited the required 15 minutes, in case there was a late arrival.

After sitting in silence for the prescribed period, she decided to do a workout on her own. A fitness instructor needs to stay in shape; and three days without a class was too long. It was a nice day, so she decided to do some stair climbing. Not the machine. Real stairs. It was harder, and more fun.

Putting on her MP3 player, she started her circuit. Getting into the rhythm, she moved faster and faster through the countless gangways and corridors of the lower decks. Nearly done, she turned to wave at one of the SCrews, as she slowed to descend the stairs to deck two. The phones from the player got tangled in her hair and distracted her gaze from the staircase for a second. Just a second. An eternity.

It meant she didn’t see the small pat of butter that a careless steward had dropped on the second stair. Her left foot found it, though. There was a brief instant of panic, as both feet shot out in front of her. Then, a searing pain and sickening crunch; as she flat-backed onto the metal risers. A wave of darkness followed; a blessing as she bumped her way to the deck below.

Chapter 1

Wendy opened her eyes and looked around. The smell, the beeping sound, the white room, immediately clued her in that she was in a hospital room. But not onboard ship. She knew what the Queen of the Sea’s infirmarylooked like.

A strange voice confirmed it. Female. “She’s coming around now, Doctor. Wendy...can you hear me, honey?” Then she took her hand and added. “Don’t speak. Just squeeze my hand, if you understand.” A squeeze in compliance. “Wendy you are in Miami-Dade General. You’ve had a bad fall, so don’t try to move. You will have trouble talking for a bit. We just took the breathing tube out of your throat. Okay?” Another squeeze in compliance.

A male face peered at her and smiled. He began. “I’m Doctor Phelan. You scared us, young lady. For awhile, we thought we’d lost you. Just take a minute or two to get your bearings, and we’ll see if we can make you more comfortable.”

Wendy relaxed a bit and tried to sit up. Then, she realized she couldn’t move. The nurse noticed her movements and rushed over. “Relax honey. You are in restraints. We can undo some. I’m Adele, by the way.”

Adele busied herself undoing the straps on her arms. Wendy used her new found freedom to explore herself. She seemed to be encased in some kind of metal frame that ran from her hips to the top of her head. She suspected what it was and fearing the worst tried to move her legs. Nothing happened. She began to cry and then wail.

The nurse soothed her. “Come on Wendy, this isn’t helping. Calm down, and we’ll bring you up to speed.”

Doctor Phelan’s voice now. “You had a bad fall aboard ship. As I said, you are lucky to be alive. Thank God the ship was only 2 days from returning to port. That, and the efforts of your Doctor Rashanti. She knows her stuff and minimized the extent of your injuries.”

Wendy croaked “Ho-how bah?”, being rewarded with a searing pain in her throat.

Adele held her hand as the Doctor continued. “Skull fracture –two places. Concussion as a result. Subdural hematoma. Dislocated shoulder. Fractured pelvis. Two cracked vertebrae, four broken ribs, numerous cuts and bruises. I’ve seen people hit by a truck with less injuries than this. Like I said, you are lucky to be alive.”

It was the third time the Doctor had emphasized she’d nearly died. They were trying to emphasize the upside of that. That meant there would be a downside, they were trying to downplay. Wendy was alert enough to understand, focussing on the “Two cracked vertebrae…” She felt the apparatus once again and tried to move her legs. Nothing. Tears welled up as she panicked and squeaked out “Oh Gah pharalize.” Then she began to shake.

Adele shushed her and said “Come on girl-be strong.”

The doctor continued. “Wendy, you can’t move your legs because they’re in traction. I won’t lie to you. You’ll have a long healing process, but as far as we know there was no cord damage. You passed all the reaction tests. Here.” Taking a small needle, he jabbed the soles of both feet. The pain reassured her that at least she could still feel something.

Feel that Adele asked. She squeezed her hand.

The doctor added. “Don’t worry that you barely felt it. We have you on some pain meds. As Adele wiped the tears from her eyes, he continued. “You are going to be fine, so let me finish my report, and we can get you on the road to recovery. Please don’t talk, it will be better for you. Deal?” This time he took her hand and she squeezed in agreement.

“Okay. Here’s, what you need to know for now. To help you get over the worst without too much pain, we kept you in an induced coma. Your body heals faster that way. We needed to bring you out because you were getting too thin on the tube feeding. Understand so far?” Another squeeze.

Her throat was burning. Must have been the tube.  Adele must have been reading her mind.

She said “I’m going to raise you up a bit to give you a drink. You will see a lot of tubes and wires. It’s normal dear. Promise not to freak out on us?” No squeeze, instead a raised hand in the okay sign.

Realizing she was gaining her confidence, Adele raised her to a semi seated position and placed a straw in her mouth. “Small sips at first.” The cool water soothed her throat, and she drank a bit more, then spit out the straw. Adele stood back and she surveyed her situation. There were the usual IV tubes and electronic monitoring devices. She had expected to see the usual counterweights for the aftermentioned “traction”. Not there! Feeling down she realized her legs were encased in heavy braces which in turn were strapped down to the bed. Coupled with the structure on her upper story, she felt like the Frankenstein monster.

Time for a more thorough evaluation. She made a gesture to Adele for paper and pen. Glancing over for guidance she saw Doctor Phelan nod his approval. Once in hand, she only wrote one word. Mirror. Again, Doctor Phelan nodded in assent.

Wendy used the mirror to quickly inspect the cage imprisoning her. Curiosity satisfied, she did a more thorough analysis of herself, in particular her face. Although grateful there appeared to be no facial scars or disfiguring injuries; she was appalled at her ashen complexion and the skeletal features which stared back at her. The young woman was not a medical expert, but she was no fool either. She had lost weight, a considerable amount by the look of it. More than an overnight stay would account for.

Placing the mirror on the bed, Wendy wrote “How long?”

Her medical team stared at each other, wondering what to say and who would say it. Finally an exasperated Adele blurted out. “You’ve been here three months. Like Doctor Phelan said before, you are getting better; but we need to get you back on solid food. You will get your strength back and we can send you home.”

Doctor Phelan sighed and added “Now that you are up to speed, I will leave you in Adele’s hands. She will look after you.” Before she could protest, he was gone.

Adele gave her another sip of water. Then she said “I need to get you something. Be right back.”

In two or three minutes, she returned with a pint of milk. With a bit of coaxing, she got most of it into her patient. Then, she hand fed her a bowl of strawberry Jello. The classic dessert had never tasted better.

Adele smiled and patted her hand. “That will do for now. We’ll see if it stays down. In the meantime, we can start getting rid of this stuff.”

Warning her not to move, she disconnected and removed the braces from her legs and the waist belt holding her to the bed. There she said. That’s the best I can do for now. You have a catheter, but now we can get a bedpan under you too. I’ll see if I can get something else for you.”

In a moment she returned with a bowl of strawberry ice cream. It was good and soothed her throat, enough that she managed to croak out a request for more. The request was granted and now sated ,she lay there, wondering what was to come, before she drifted off to sleep again.

Chapter 2

When she awoke, it was morning and she had company. Doctor Phelan was there and said “We are going to remove the cage today, but you will still need a brace for a while. Just till you get fully healed.” They expertly removed the steel bracing, replacing it with a hard plastic shell, complete with neck brace. It was held together with a series of Velcro straps and reminded her somewhat of a bulletproof vest.

“There” he said. “This will allow you to get out of bed and we can bathe you with it on. It’s adjustable if you need to, but don’t take it off. Just move 1 or 2 straps as you need. You will have more freedom now, but just remember, your pelvis is still not fully healed.  You can stand, but walking will be painful until that happens. You’ll need wheelchair to get around, but it temporary. Want to give it a try?”

Everything went okay and Doctor Phelan said, “Looks like you are good to go. They are picking you up in an hour, so we better hurry.”

Her throat now feeling better she asked “Who? Where? Is my family here?” Her parents and sister lived in New York. Had they come to pick her up?

Adele explained “No your folks were here for a week, right after your accident. They went home once you were out of danger. I’ve already called them and told them you are up and around. Sorry you’ll be gone, before they can get here.”

“Where are you sending me then?” asked Wendy. “I don’t have my own place on shore anymore. I live on the ship. It’s cheaper.”

“We know. Doctor Rashanti is coming for you. Ship’s here now and they sail in two days. She is going to take over, until you are ready to go back to work. You’ll recover faster among friends, in your own environment.”

And that was it. The good doctor wheeled her on board and she was surprised when they passed the infirmary and kept going. She explained, “Infirmary’s for sick people. You need your own space.” Paradoxically, they didn’t return to her cabin either.

“What’s this?” she said. She was on deck 6, normally a passenger area. First class passengers, at that.

Rashanti elaborated. “Well, you’ve been through a lot. Everyone missed you and wanted you back. But seriously, you didn’t think we were going to put you back to work yet, did you? Get well and enjoy yourself.  It’s nicer and quieter here. More important, there is an elevator stop on this floor and handicap access in the washroom. Crew cubes don’t have either.” Made sense she thought. They didn’t need it on the employee floors. Ship wouldn’t hire people who had mobility issues. It wasn’t really discrimination. A ship could be a dangerous place, and in an emergency, the crew needed to help to passengers escape, not the other way around.

Rashanti added “We have already moved all your stuff up. Make yourself at home.”

Wendy wiped a tear and nodded. “I already am home. Thank you.”

The doctor helped her into bed and handed her a radio. “This for room service. You have an emergency, you push the panic button. Now sleep a bit. I’ll check on you in an hour or so.”

Wendy stopped her. “Wait. Come here please.” She reached out her arms for a hug. As Rashanti held her, she began to sob gently. “Thank you for saving my life. I’ll never be able to repay you...”

The good doctor replied. “You lived. That’s payment en.....” She was afraid to say any more. Doctors are supposed to be professionally detached, but she was crying too.

The next 2 weeks, Wendy stayed in the room, only getting out of bed to use the bathroom. She was getting stronger, but still found walking difficult and painful. During this time she didn’t want for company. Throughout the day, she had a host of friends stop by for a visit. Nearly every visitor brought her a little snack, which she ate greedily.

The staff had been told of her weakened state and without any formal agreement, they were jointly combining their efforts, to fatten her up a bit. Once they discovered her likes and dislikes, she got into her stride. The patient had little to do for a while, but eat and watch TV anyway. By the end of this period, she was back to her original weight of 90 pounds. This was just the beginning.

Chapter 3

The doctor looked her over and said “Well, at least your color is returning.” Then feeling her arms and legs she commented. “You are so thin though. It takes a lot of energy to recuperate from this, you know. If you want to get better, you need to start eating a lot better. Now that you can go to the dining room, I expect you to take that into account.”

Her physical assessment complete, Doctor Rashanti helped her patient into a nice house dress. The baggy garment slipped over her easily, thus disguising somewhat the bracing apparatus. Wendy hated it, already dubbing it the Iron Maiden.

“Okay we’re ready.” Next thing she knew they were wheeling into the first class dining room for breakfast. Wendy felt a bit self-conscious in her wheelchair. Then she noticed she was not unique in her situation. An elderly woman was sitting in the corner eating her lunch in quiet solitude.

Like her, Wendy was unable to work the buffet on her own. Only options were to cruise the tables with a helper who loaded her plate or get table service from a steward. Wendy chose the former while the other woman took the latter option.

Sick of eating in bed, Wendy prolonged her stay and ate quite a bit more than she should have. Of course the doctor was pleased and praised her for her efforts, adding that perhaps she could try a little more next time. Then the good doctor wheeled her out to the elevator and back to her room.

There she remained until lunch, when one of the stewards arrived to take her up again. This time she was resigned to sitting alone, when she noticed the older woman sitting there quietly waiting for service. “Take me over there” she requested. When they got close enough, Wendy broke the ice. “I don’t like to eat by myself. Feel like some company?  Besides, it will make his job easier. He can wait on us both.”

Her tentative companion smiled broadly and her eyes sparkled. “Yes dear, I would like that very much.”

Once the steward took their orders and left, they started to get to know one another. Wendy deferred to the older woman, Marjory Tisdale, who told her story. She was 77 years old, a retired schoolteacher from Vermont.Widow, three grown children, six grandchildren etc.  She had broken her hip two years ago and it was healing slowly. She could stand and walked with difficulty, so the chair was easier. She sighed and said. “Think it’s permanent too. How ‘bout you dear. Do you work?”

“Yes, I work here on the boat actually.” She patted the arm of her wheelchair. “Until this.”

“Oh? I’ve not seen you before?”

“Good reason. Only people usually allowed on this deck are 1st class and SCrews on duty.”

The older women shook her  head. “What are screws?”

“Oh sorry. It’s short for Ship’s Crew. Picture a cruise ship as a floating hotel. I work for the hotel portion-as a contractor. I was hired by the cruise line and can work on any vessel they send me to, short term. The people that run the ship and senior management are Ship’s Crew-the Captain has to approve any new members, because they usually stay on one ship for years at a time. They’re the ones in the white uniforms. By the way, don’t let them hear you call them by that term. It’s not complimentary and they don’t like it.”

Margery nodded. “Then perhaps you won’t use it anymore? At least while I’m around?”

“That’s me told, I guess.”Wendy related her side, then finished by saying “I’m getting better, so this is just temporary.” During their visit Wendy lost track of time. Until it was over she didn’t realize that they had been talking and eating for two hours.

Marjory suggested they go out to the main deck for some air. Wendy blanched. “Alone?”

“Don’t worry dear, I know how to get around in this. I’ll teach you.” They were irked that it took three attempts to get an elevator ride to fit them in. Then they spent an enjoyable afternoon until Wendy got tired. “Think I will lie down for a bit.”

Marjory asked. “You are such a delight. Meet me for dinner?  I don’t like to eat alone, either.”

“You’re on.” A wonderful friendship had begun.

Chapter 4

Supper was much the same. Wendy found out that Margery was not a casual guest. She actually lived on the boat, because it was cheaper and more fun than a retirement home. They enjoyed each other’s company, spending most of their free time together from then on. Despite the age difference, the two were inseparable. With little else to do, they spent most of the time in the dining lounge or sitting in the sun, lapping up drinks.

Wendy was not used to this life, so began to pamper herself. Each day, the meals got just a little richer and she was not keeping track of what she was putting in to herself. Looking in the mirror, she noticed that the wan look had all but disappeared and the parts she could see were filling out a bit. Doctor Rashanti looked her over on occasion, saying she was making progress but to keep up the regime.

The doctor advised. “You had a lot of bone damage. Make sure you get enough calcium. Are you drinking milk?”

Wendy snorted. “Milk’s for kids. I don’t like the taste of milk on its own.”

The doctor took her chin. “Well tough. You seemed to like the shakes I gave you. I’m going to tell the steward to make sure he gets one into you every meal.”

“Hmmm” Wendy frowned. “Lot of calories in those. Suppose I don’t drink them? They gonna fire me?”

“Nope. They’ll fire him.  Want that on your conscience?”

Wendy knew they really wouldn’t, but Rashanti pulled a secret weapon out. “You said you could never repay me for saving your life. It’s time to collect. Please do as I ask. Eat what they give you. Enjoy your time with your new friend, but make sure you get your rest.”

Wendy nodded, but the doctor figured that she would need an accomplice to make an impact. And she knew just who to call.

That evening Margery heard a knock on the door. “Who is it?” she asked.  

“It’s Doctor Rashanti. I need to talk to you. It’s important. Please.”

Margery paused. “I don’t need anything right now, but thank you.”

The doctor persisted. “It’s not your health that concerns me. Sorry I didn’t mean that to come that way. it’s about Wendy.”

The older lady was now concerned. “Oh. Is she sick?” Perhaps her young friend had been less than candid at her condition.

Rashanti sighed. “This is not the sort of conversation I can have in the gangway. May I enter?”

“Um. Door’s locked and I’m in bed. May take a few minutes.”

“I have a passkey. Is it okay.

“Please. Come in.”

The doctor started the conversation. “Doctors need to think of the patient’s well being before their own. Patient confidentiality so important, I could lose my licence for what I’m about to tell you, but I’m out of ideas. It’s about Wendy.”

Margery nodded. “I see. Well go on. Anything you share will be our secret.”

“Well you see she was our aerobics instructor and she’s had a bad accident. She’s not accepted how bad yet.”

Margery blanched. “She told me the wheelchair was temporary.”

Rashanti nodded. “It is. Or at least that is the plan. I’m worried that once she is mobile, she’ll be back to her old routine. It could cripple her for life. Even kill her.”

Margery gasped. “Oh, dear. You need to tell her.”

The good doctor nodded. “I’ve tried, but she won’t listen to me.”

Margery nodded. “I get it. You want me to talk to her?”

“No. Please.  That would ruin everything. She probably won’t listen to you either.  I have a better idea. Suppose we make it so she can’t teach classes.”

Margery nodded. “Alright, but where do I fit in to this?”

Rashanti patted her hand. “I’m glad you asked. Here’s the plan....”

The pair had a conversation and as a result Rashanti had her helper and Wendy would not know what hit her.

Chapter 5

Next morning Margery was already in the dining room when Wendy arrived. She had waited for her before eating however. After eating much more than usual, Wendy sighed in contentment. “Oh I am so stuffed.”

Margery pouted. “Oh. I’m so sorry to hear that. I was hoping to have a drink or two up on the sun deck.”

Wendy nodded. “I’m supposed to have a nap, but alright.” This time it took nearly a half-hour to find a free elevator.

One up top they were greeted by a half dozen people all around Margery’s age. All were either in wheelchairs or used walkers for mobility.

Wendy looked at the crowd and back to Margery. “I’m getting the impression I’ve been Shanghaied here.”

One of the other ladies smiled. “Not at all, but we were hoping to talk to you.”

The conversation started with some introductions but Wendy actually recognized a couple. This group was the equivalent of a frequent flier program. They were all well to do seniors with money to spend and time on their hands.

But they were not happy. Wendy began to jot down a list of recommendations based on their conversations. After a few she smiled back and said. “Okay I’m on your side but this is not going to help. I don’t have much pull on board but I can do up a detailed report and submit it to my boss. Rest is up to him. And sorry to say I’ll need to get a broader focus group.” More people over some weeks at least. Everyone agreed that would be fine.

She did manage to get one item off the punch list immediately. The central port elevator was reserved strictly for those with mobility issues. The Captain even assigned a junior crew member to ride along to see that the rule was obeyed.

The little social club became a habit and eventually Wendy looked forward to the sessions as her report neared completion. One other habit had a more profound impact. Most of these seniors were on medication of some kind, as was Wendy. Alcohol was more or less verboten, so they improvised by meeting in the soda parlour. By the time the meeting had ended the former fitness leader had consumed 3 or 4 of the calorie-laden shakes she had supposedly sworn off.

Margery clucked in satisfaction. The plan had worked. The report and conversations had kept Wendy’s mind distracted from her intake. The results would be evident very soon. Too bad she would not be here herself to see the results of her labours.

Chapter 6

Six weeks have passed. Wendy had completed her report and submitted to management for study. Meanwhile, Margery had left the ship. Her great-granddaughter in California had a new baby, so she went out to stay for awhile to visit. Wendy had waited for this day. No need for either wheelchair or walker. It was time to free her of the ridiculous brace, to let her start back to her normal life.

The doctor slowly unfastened all the straps and buckles to the portable prison and helped her patient into the shower. That chore complete, Wendy took inventory before re-dressing herself. She stared in the mirror and did a quick 360. Then she sat on the edge of the bed and began to cry. “Oh my God. Look at me! I look like a freak.”

Doctor Rashanti put her arm on her shoulder and said. “It will be alright. If you grow your hair out a bit more, the scars on your neck won’t show. The ones on your back will only show in a bikini. That’s not so bad.”

Her young patient wailed. “What are you talking about. Scars? That’s the least of my worries. There’s no danger I’ll be seen in a bikini, any time soon. Look at this!” She poked the burgeoning pot belly that had somehow developed during her recovery.

She patted her thickened waist and said “Where’s the scale?” She knew anyway and hopped on.

The doctor helped her with it and the reading settled on…115. “See” she said. “That’s not so bad. Quite normal-in fact, I weigh 125 myself.”

In fact, it was not normal. The good doctor was being deceptive, as she had disregarded her patient’s diminutive stature. 115 pounds was at the extreme end of the BMI scale for someone only 57” tall. One more pound and she really would be overweight.

Wendy had gained back the 10 pounds she lost on her ordeal, plus 25 more for good measure. Not only that, the aforementioned loss had been mostly muscle tissue; and its replacement mostly fat. The doctor said, “Look, you are a bit heavier, but look at the results. Most women would kill for curves like that.”

Wendy was already taking a second look. She could not see her expanded rear but a quick knead of the plumpened butt cheeks was all she needed to verify their growth. Up top, she was intrigued by her now enhanced  bustline. She cupped each one gently and shook them slightly, stifling a chuckle in spite of herself. The doctor saw this and jumped in. “Look dear, like it or not, you are going to need some new clothes. Maybe I could help measure you up?”

“Uh sure thanks” she said. “Sorry for the hissy fit.  With all the gear I had on, I couldn’t see what was happening to me. This is all a bit of a shock.”

S’okay. You’ve had a lot to deal with lately”, her friend assured. Grabbing a tape she said “Okay, let’s see now. Waist…25. Hips...41 Bust...38.” Ribcage...34 makes you a D-cup. You’ll need a bra upgrade at least.”

“Yes-upgrade. Of course.” Wendy reddened at that realization as she pondered the implication. With no breasts to speak of before, she usually went braless. Well that was over, for now at least.

The spell was broken by the good Doctor’s final words. “Captain wants you back on the job. Far as I’m concerned, you’re good to go. Physically, at least. Mentally is your department, but I’m not going to push you. I can sign a release form if you like…?”

Wendy said “No, I guess this is as good a time as any.” She pinched her side and pulled a love handle up and down. “Good thing spandex stretches. I’ll fit into most of my old outfits, I think. Be back to my old self in no time, once I get into my program again.”

Chapter 7

The doctor was going to add something to burst that bubble. Then, thinking better of it, she chickened out. The Captain would bring her down to earth. She added “This is for you.” It was quick note from the captain inviting her to a lunch meeting, in the executive dining room. “Now if you like, I will go up and pick up a few personal items for you. I have something that you can wear to the meeting as well.”

She returned to the room and looked in the closet. Even if she had something dressy, it would not have fit anyway. The pink sweater and skirt combo the good doctor lent her fit her pretty well.

Moving down to Deck 1, she had to consult one of the maps posted on the wall. She had spent little time on this level and it took a few minutes to get her bearings. Once arrived, she entered and looked around at, what amounted to the closest thing the vessel had to an officer’s mess.  It was nearly empty, only the stewards on duty kept the pair from being alone.  The Captain pulled rank to ensure their meeting would be undisturbed by prying or boisterous behaviour.

He smiled and offered her a chair, both pulling it out for her and helping her to seat. They chatted idly for a moment and the Captain asked. “Would you like some wine?”

Now off her meds she nodded, “Sure that would be nice.” The Captain motioned, the waiter took her request and came out with a carafe of a delicious white Reisling and a single glass. He handed the Captain a glass and a diet cola. She asked “Not joining me?”

The Captain sighed. “Against regulations. Not allowed on duty, and when we are at sea, the crew is always considered on duty.”

Wendy giggled. “Even the Captain?”

“Especially the Captain. Never know if there will be an emergency, you know. Anyway enjoy your wine. It may be your last for a while.”

Wendy gulped. “Come again?”

“All in good time. I hope you like seafood? I ordered for you already.” As if on cue the first course arrived, a delicious salad. Next, was a generous helping of poached salmon, with cheddar potatoes and asparagus with Mornaysauce.

The piece de resistance was a lobster. Wendy looked at the giant crustacean and said “I can’t eat all that. Look at it. I think I saw it fight Godzilla when I was a little girl.”

The Captain smiled and said “Just do your best. It’s already cooked. Try the sauce.”

Shrugging, she began to break it up and dip it into the magical butter sauce chef had created. It was divine and before she realized it the entire lobster had disappeared into her already plumpened belly. Swallowing the last, she was about to wipe her mouth and toss the napkin onto the table in defeat.

But as the steward came to take her plate; in the same motion he dropped a huge helping of Devil’s Food cake. Aghast, she did her best and finally waved off the offer of seconds, but refilled her glass for the third time. Her companion noted “Looks like you enjoyed that!”

“Boy did I” she assured, resisting the impulse to belch. “Good thing I don’t eat like that every day. I would weigh a thousand pounds in no time.” Noticing her tummy was sticking out even further, she patted it and confided “I’ve been getting a bit fat lately, as it is. Lucky I’m going back to work. Once I start with my classes again, I will be back to my old self in no time.”

The Captain stared blankly at her, suddenly realizing  the good Doctor had not told her everything about her fitness report. Coward. He would deal with her later.

Chapter 8

Clearing his throat, he motioned with his eyes and the stewards all left. Rising to lock the door, he returned, pulled a file he had from the briefcase on the floor behind him and sat. He began “Ms. Morgan, I thought you already knew why you were here. My apologies. We need to discuss your future.”

The request for privacy and the serious tone in his voice alarmed Wendy. Trying to make light of the situation she quipped “Sounds serious. Call me Wendy, please.”

He smiled. “Alright...Wendy, I have the final report from the Doctor here. Once you sift through the legalese and medical mumbo-jumbo it boils down to this: The recovery process from your injuries is pretty well over. By that I mean it’s likely you have healed as much as you ever will. For the most part you will lead a happy, full and productive life….”

She interrupted “I sense a big but coming here.” Then she winced at her choice of words as she instinctively placed her hand on her own posterior. She compounded it by asking “So-what’s the bottom line?”

He continued “Bottom line is you have two weakened vertebrae, with some loss of flexibility and mobility.  The damage is most likely permanent, so it won’t get better. But you can make it worse. If you don’t want to re-injure yourself there is no way you can even take aerobics classes now. Teaching them would be completely out of the question.”

He waited for that to sink in. “But...that’s my job here. If I can’t do that....” Then, she looked down grimly, adding “So this is the reason for the fancy dinner-the big kiss-off? Go ahead-get it over with.”

“Whoa. Relax.” The Captain shook his head “Let me finish. You aren’t being fired. No way we would have let you loaf around here for this long just to do that.  You are well liked and from what I can deduce a very capable and qualified young woman. Who else writes a report, while they are in a wheelchair? I have read your report and you have a lot of very good points here. So good in fact I am able to offer you a promotion.”

Intrigued she asked. “Promotion. To what?”

“As you know, Ed Jeffries has been our Cruise Director for over 20 years. Now he’s ready to retire. You two know each other, and he thinks you have all the requirements we need to take over from him. He can break you in on this run. After that, you are on your own. It would mean a substantial raise. Interested?”

“Uh...sure” she said. “It’s just a surprise.”

“A pleasant one I hope? You would now be part of the ship’s crew. As such, you’ll need to wear uniform from now on. Don’t worry, it’s supplied.” He handed her a brochure, which explained what they were expected to wear, under given circumstances.

He also wrote out some figures. “This will be your new pay level, starting today.”

“ Whew” she whistled.

“Don’t worry you will earn it. So-do we have a deal?”

She smiled. “Are you kidding? Do we ever!”

“I’d like you to start immediately. Now, before I let you go to get fitted, there is something else. This is off the record and I am not speaking as your Captain; just one crew  member to another. The offer I made to you is based on your initiative, and talent; not as a way to mitigate any legal issues that may arise from your accident. In fact head office knows nothing about this yet.”

“But the company is very concerned about their liability in this matter. Eventually, they will have to make a settlement, but they will do everything in their power to mitigate the circumstances. You need to make sure that you do the same. Be careful what you do and say and don’t sign anything yet. Most importantly do not re-injure yourself on your own time. That means taking it easy and keeping all your Doctor appointments. Understand? By the way, this conversation never took place”

She nodded, wondering how she would get her figure back now. He upped the ante, asking  I have a favor to ask you… It’s not really part of your new job, but I need your help.”

Wendy nooded “Sure. I’ll do what I can. What is it?”

He explained. “Part of my job is to mingle with the passengers and make small talk at the captain’s table. The passengers consider it an honor, but I’m not really very good at it.”

Wendy nodded. “Well you are right on that one.”

He frowned. “What’s that supposed to mean? You hardly know me.”

Wendy corrected. “Actually sir, I don’t know you at all. I’ve worked on this ship for years and this is the first time we’ve met. I don’t even know your name.”

She expected him to be angry at the outburst. Instead, a chuckle. “Sorry about that. We all had name tags in the Navy. I forget sometimes I’m back in the real world.” He offered his hand “Greg Hanson-pleased to meet you.”

She shook his hand and smiled. “See...Greg....that’s how it’s done. Just takes practice.”

“But see what I meant? You are well liked and work well with people. I would consider it a great favor, if you would sit in at these dinners, and act as a buffer for me. I’ll promise to follow your lead. Please?”

Wendy gulped, as she realized what this meant.  A formal dinner every night would make it much more difficult to stick to her diet. She agreed, but rubbed her stomach, wondering what was to come. The Captain rose as a hint that the meeting was over. “Welcome to the team.”

Chapter 9

She went down to the laundry and filled out the forms for her uniforms. She settled on the standard white blouse and knee length skirt worn by the bulk of the female officers. They were not exactly stylish, but comfortably loose, therefore disguising some of her recently acquired bulges. Picking up enough to last a few days, she went up to the boutique on deck 4. There, she bought three bras and six more panties. No point in going nuts she thought, this extra weight is just temporary. No sense wasting money on clothes that won’t fit shortly. Little did she know that soon she would be right, but for the wrong reason.

Next morning, a knock at the door. Good Lord it was 6:30 am and she hadn’t even showered yet. Wrapping herself in a bathrobe, she opened the door, revealing Ed Jeffries, already dressed for work. “Good” he exclaimed You’re up.  We usually meet around 7, for breakfast. Ship’s a busy place, so it’s the only time we really can sit down together and chat. Can we count on you?”

She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and yawned. “Uh-sure. Where?”

“Executive lounge. I understand you already know where that is?”

Not knowing whether he was pressing her for more information she replied. “I’m not exactly a new hire after all. But I’m not dressed yet, so you will have to excuse me.” He nodded politely and turned away as she shut the door.

She arrived just as the meeting was to begin. “Ah you’re here.” said Ed. “Grab a plate and we can start.”

Oh great. Another meal is all I need, she thought; but she went through the motions anyway. Wendy looked around and despite the fact she’d worked on board for some time, only recognized one or two faces. Ed introduced her formally and explained “We have these meetings every morning to discuss common issues. It’s really the only time in the day when we can get a group this large all at once.”

The meeting proceeded, with Wendy having little to offer on her first day. After it adjourned, Ed suggested she stay and they spent the next few hours reviewing her duties and schedule. During that time, she absentmindedly munched away on the tray of Danish that was left, eventually consuming all six.  Then, they reviewed the personnel roster, specifically her staff. The newest entry was Leanne Simpson, a 20-year-old from Baton Rouge.

As Leanne was actually her replacement; Wendy made it a priority to meet her first. Ed said “That’s a good idea. So good in fact, I’ve already made the arrangements. You and I are on the same wave length, we should get along fine. Too bad it’s my last trip, I would have enjoyed spending more time with you.”

Off they went and they arrived just in time to catch her doing the last 15 minutes of her morning aerobics class. Once the three attendees left, Ed introduced them. Wendy looked her over. Tall, thin, looked like a Barbie doll. She held out her hand and offered “Wendy Morgan. Pleased to meet you.”

“Leanne Simpson” was the reply from her understudy. “I heard you were coming up, and was worried you were here to take your old job back. I can see now that isn’t likely.”

Wendy reddened as Leanne gasped at her own gaffe.

Ohmigod. I meant I see you are in uniform-you’re a Scr...crew member. I’m so sorry.”

Wendy chuckled. “Don’t worry Leanne I know you meant no harm. You come highly recommended and I look forward to working with you.”

Ed cleared his throat. “There’s another reason I came up. Captain asked me to relay an instruction to both of you. Ms. Morgan is here to supervise and is not to take part in any classes, nor use any of the workout equipment. She is still recovering from a serious injury. We all clear on what disobedience means?” The pair nodded, as Wendy sighed. I guess I could walk the promenade, that would at least give me some exercise.

The day progressed and that night it was time for the first dinner. Because they were at the captain’s table, they did not need to go to the buffet. Instead, a cart was wheeled in and everyone took what they wanted. Wendy tried to eat light; but each time she emptied her plate, the steward would place another. She really had no way of keeping track of what she ate either, as the passengers held most of her attention in conversation.

Within a week, she settled into her new routine. Daily breakfast meeting, then rounds to ensure all the activities were going as planned. At first, she spent lunch in her office to do reports, but found that she needed to eat a little something anyway. Instead she would sit in a quiet corner of the dining hall. During that time, she would absentmindedly munch on whatever the stewards would offer. Walking the promenade became a forgotten goal very quickly.

Chapter 10

The pattern continued . After a month, she gained 5 pounds, the next month 7 more, bringing her to 127. The former size 0 was now up to size 8 in clothing, as she was now taping out at 40DD-28-43. Getting ready for work one day, she pinched the layer of fat that had swollen her belly out and sighed. No longer able to fool herself, she had consulted a BMI chart putting her firmly into the overweight range for her age. More importantly, she was only 13 pounds from being clinically obese. The thought made her shudder and she wondered what would happen if she got there. She wouldn’t have long to wait.

The Christmas season was approaching, so the ship was alive with festivity. The month of December was one long party after another. It took its toll. By the 23rd of December, she was up to 141. She had to shell out for some civvies to go home. She was now wearing size 10, but decided on a loose fit size 12 in an attempt to disguise the 31 inch belly and 45 inch hips she now sported. Try as she might, she could not hide the 42E boobs she now carried up top. She had caught many of the men on board staring at them in fascination, but did not see what all the fuss was about. Tits were just more fat, in this case 5 pounds each.  The last thing she needed with her back was a lot of weight to carry around and upset her posture.

The good part was she was going home for a few days. Ed had been gone awhile and she’d done a great job of filling his shoes. Captain Hanson actually had to force her take two weeks off, suspecting she was avoiding being seen like this. In fact, Wendy looked forward to seeing her mother father and sister for the first time since the accident. She could also take a break from the buffet and maybe lose a few pounds.

It wasn’t until the taxi stopped in front of the house that Wendy wondered if everyone would tease her about her weight gain. Her mother was so happy to see her she said nothing at all. She just hugged her and sobbed softly finally saying “It’s so good to see you again. We thought we’d lost you.”

Wiping his own tears, her father hugged her too adding. “You are my Christmas gift-what more could anyone ask for?”

Mom smiled. “You’re just in time dear. I made favourite for dinner.”

Wendy offered a week smile. “Uh mom. Everything is my favourite these days.” She patted her belly in emphasis.

“Perfect. You were always such a picky eater before. I’ll look forward to feeding you up some, over the holidays, and I won’t take no for an answer.” Wendy sighed as she made her way to the dining room. That makes one of us. At least this will keep the peace.

The atmosphere didn’t last long. Her younger sister arrived the next morning. Carrie and her husband had married four years earlier. The pair were on a quest to double the population of the Earth on their own. Her first child was born three months after the wedding. She had a set of twins a year later, followed by child number four 10 months after that. Little David was still in diapers and it was apparent from her belly that another was on its way.

Carrie smiled and kissed her, saying “You scared us for a bit, but now you look…different... healthy.” Carrie wouldn’t dare call her fat. The child bearing process had taken its toll and despite Wendy’s increased size, her sister still had at least 50 pounds on her. Now hovering around the 200 pound mark, the girls shared one other trait. Carrie had always been busty, but this was ridiculous. The extra weight and pregnancy hormones had expanded her mams to 54” H-cups. They took up so much room on her chest, that they competed for space with her pregnant belly. In fact, when she sat; her belly pushed them up so far, she could actually rest her chin on them. She needed industrial underwire bras now, though.

Wendy took it in stride. Without causing an argument, she responded by adding “You look...the same.” The niceties done with, they got down to visiting. After dinner on Christmas Eve, Carrie dropped David in her lap, asking “Watch him for a minute will you? I need to put the twins to bed.”

Wendy loved kids so she tickled his little cheek and sang songs to him. He giggled and smiled up at her. When her sister came down the little boy was pawing at her breast and making sucking noises.

Carrie came in, picked him up and remarked. “You have away with b**s. Now that you’ve got a pair to feed them with, maybe you should think about getting one of your own.”

Wendy was going to offer a comeback but her mom beat her to it.  Mom scowled and said “Hopefully you will find a husband first.”  Then thought...”Oh my. Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that, dear.”

That was enough. Wendy began to cry, ran upstairs to her old room and slammed the door. It opened a few minutes later. Mom stood there with a glass of milk and a few cookies. She came in and sat down. “I’m sorry dear, I didn’t mean to strike a nerve.”

Wiping her face she said. “It’s okay mom. Just that I do want to get married again, some day. But now... look at me.” She lifted her blouse and poked the belly now sticking out several inches past her waistband. “Before the accident I used to be able to eat anything, because I just burned it off. In fact, I actually lost weight if I wasn’t careful. Now that I’m not working out anymore, I get fatter every day!”

Her mother rubbed her back and said  “It’s part of getting older dear, and besides you are my daughter” She was referring to her own struggle. Her mother had been fat as long as Wendy could remember. Rubbing her belly she said. “I was bigger than you when I got married. Bigger than Carrie, in fact. Didn’t stop me from finding a good man. You will too. You’ll see.”

“But I think something else is bothering you. Even before your accident you really kind of shut yourself away. Don’t blame yourself for what happened with Corey. It wasn’t meant to be. Your real soul mate is out there somewhere waiting for you.”

Drying her eyes Wendy said “You think so?”

Her mom said “I know so. Now come down. Have a drink and relax.”

Carrie was crying too when she came down. The pair hugged and the rest of the holiday came and went without incident. For the most part....

Chapter 11

Wendy’s mom had been true to her promise of feeding her up. One unwanted side effect from the visit, was the eleven extra pounds she brought back aboard ship. Now at 152 and 44-33-47, she was officially the fattest officer on board. Her size 12 uniforms fit like a sausage casing now and she’d need to upgrade to an EE bra. Wendy hoped she was so fat to begin with that no one would notice. Wrong. Behind her back, some were already calling her the Sinkable Molly Brown.

But the trend continued. Every day she got bigger and bigger. One night, she had had enough. She had overindulged a little and decided to walk the promenade. It was dark and no one would recognize her, she hoped. The process was harder than she had hoped for. Of course she was carrying a lot more weight, but it was how it was distributed that made it worse. By now her belly and boobs were so big, that they wiggled both sideways and up and down. Her thighs were so fat, she had to walk with a unnaturally wide stance. Even then, they still either rubbed or flopped together every so often. The result was, everything moved in counter rhythm, slowing her down and upsetting her normal gait.

It only took a single trip around the deck before she plopped into a deck chair, exhausted and hurting. The former athlete was shocked at how out of shape she’d gotten. She’d try for two laps tomorrow and a quick whirlpool would soothe her aching back.

The spa area was officially closed for the night, but as a supervisor she had a key. Wendy weighed herself first and was not surprised when the scale flipped to 169 pounds. The extra weight really was evident, as she’d had to upgrade another size in uniforms. Again.  Now, she would need size 16. At this rate, the company would be going broke replacing her wardrobe like this.

The F-cup bra she had on would not fit either, trying to contain her 47-37-50 figure. Looking at her breasts, she noticed that they were starting to sag under their own weight and she was getting stretch marks here and on her belly. She’s look like Carrie soon, but with no kids to blame for her trouble. She really needed to get into an exercise routine again, but a little at a time. For now, the whirlpool was so inviting. She disrobed and climbed in.

Meanwhile the captain strode down the corridor, peeved. Unknown to Wendy, he had received reports of couples breaking into the hot tub area for midnight sexual escapades. He had had security install motion detectors and was on his way to catch the culprits himself. Muttering he said if it’s passengers they will be fined. If it’s employees, they are finished.

Therefore he was surprised to find the door locked, with no evidence of tampering. He unlocked it quietly and crept in, hoping to catch the culprits in the act. He turned the corner and bellowed “All right I caught you…” and the words died off.

Wendy had just stepped out and was walking to her towel. She froze, giving the captain an eyeful of her in all her glory. Finally he stammered “Ms. Morgan. Um-um sorry. I thought you were an intruder.”

She recovered her senses and jiggled over to the towel. Holding it in front of her she just screamed “Get out! Get out!” He did exactly that, mumbling something unintelligible as the embarrassed young woman regained her composure and dressed to leave.

Next day was awkward. The two avoided contact with each other until dinner, where it was inevitable. Through the meal, they averted their eyes every time they met. Finally, the ordeal was over; so Wendy rushed to leave. The Captain grabbed her arm and said “Ms. Morgan we need to talk about last night’s…occurrence.”

Wendy blushed a bit and began to blurt out. “Sorry sir…”

He held up his hand and said “Not here. My office…fifteen minutes.”

She met him as scheduled and sitting down he handed her an official document. “Read this and sign it, please.”

Expecting a formal reprimand she instead saw it was a safety notice. The captain started by asking “Ms. Morgan, I am pretty sure Ed banned you from using the workout room.”

Wendy stepped carefully. “Actually sir, he banned me from using the workout equipment and from fitness classes. I was just using the whirlpool. I still get a lot of pain these days.” She crossed her fingers hoping he wouldn’t know about the promenade walk.

The Captain nodded. “You got me on a technicality I guess. I’d forgotten you have a key to the gym too; but don’t abuse your privilege. If you want to go in there after hours, please notify security. Also, no one is allowed in the hot tub alone-safety issues. I forgot to give you this memo-sorry. Please read and sign  it.”

Now blushing Wendy looked down and offered. “It won’t happen again. Sorry for the trouble and sorry for the shock of seeing all this. You must have had nightmares last night.”

As he stuck the newly signed document in her file, he chuckled, “Well I didn’t sleep much last night, but it wasn’t a nightmare. I just couldn’t get the image of you from my head.”

She snorted briefly and then looking at his hurt expression, realized he was serious. “Wait a moment. Let’s forget for a moment that you’re my boss and this is completely inappropriate. Are...you saying you’re attracted to me. Like this?”

Chapter 12

He blushed. “I am. Have been, since our first lunch together. I have to confess, I’d been doing fine with the guests, before you came along. They’re only on board a week, not like we have to make a lifelong friendship.  I just made up an excuse; so I’d be able to spend time with you, without anyone suspecting.”

“Including me, it seems. Why didn’t you say something.

“ I’m your boss. It really is inappropriate. I hope you understand Ms. Morgan.”

“I’m trying to.” She stood and pirouetted for him asking “Are you sure you don’t need glasses? Look at me-I feel like a brontosaurus.”

He shook his head adding, “I think you are delightfully well rounded.”

“All those dinners with you- I just kept putting on the pounds.” She squinted into his eyes. “If I didn’t know better I’d think a few people on board conspired to put us together.”

The Captain cleared his throat. “What exactly does that mean?”

She put her hand on his and offered. “Well for starters, you’ve seen me stark naked. I think you can stop calling me Ms. Morgan....Greg.”

“I’d like that actually...Wendy.”

Tentatively she said. “I was hoping for another whirlpool tonight, but guess I’ll need to hire a lifeguard. Care to apply for the job?”

He hesitated for a moment cautioning, “This is against ship’s policy. We could both be fired if anyone finds out.”

She strolled to the door and wiggled provocatively. “That’s only if we get caught. I won’t tell anyone if you don’t. Besides, I think everyone on this ship already knew about this, except me.” And that was it.

Next day was a lunch meeting in the mess. Private.  Greg started. “So-how come a beautiful woman like you is not married yet?”

She laughed as they ate. “Did that once. His name was Corey. We got married right after college. Only lasted a year.”

“Oh” said the Captain. “What happened?”

Wendy pondered and said “He was too much of a frat boy. Long as his laundry was done and there was food in the fridge, he could care less about me. I left him and he didn’t even realize it for three days.”

Then, she looked at him “What about you? Is there anyone special?” Should have asked that question last night, she thought.

He replied “I was married. 7 years, in fact. No kids though. I guess my fish can’t swim.”

That required further explanation. This job could be hell on couples, especially if they were trying to conceive. “She leave you?”

He nodded. “In a matter of speaking.”  He paused for a while; then cleared his throat. “She.....died, actually.”

Wendy gasped and was going to leave. “Oh my God. I’m so sorry-me and my big mouth!”

S’okay” he said. “I’m over it now, but MS is terrible.  I quit the Navy to be with her, for her last year. Just didn’t have the stomach for it after. So I ended up here.”

She probed deeper, “Your wife, was she ...like me?”

He teased her, “What you mean blonde, short. No, she was a redhead and she was 5’-7”.”

Wendy tossed an olive at him and pressed. “You know exactly what I mean. Was she like me?” Then she stood and patted her now sated belly, eliciting a small belch.

“Oh” he said, “she was curvy, but not as curvy as I would have liked. Not like you at all.”

She reached for a piece of shortcake and asked again. “Would you like me to be curvier than this?”

He nodded. “If you like. I’m not asking you to fatten yourself up for me.”

She laughed. “Well it’s probably going to happen, whether we like it or not. I got fat genes, and just fooled them for a while,  I think. When you meet my mom, you’ll see.”

He laughed at that. “One date and you already want me to meet your family? You move fast.”

He was rewarded with another olive toss. This time, the missile struck him right in the forehead. She scolded him “I’m not sure exactly what to call what happened last night. I think it was a lot more than just a date.”

The two became close and spent as much time together as they could without appearing obvious. The dinners especially were becoming more enjoyable and Wendy would linger over her meal to try to draw out their time together. Needless to say, the extra calories had an effect on her figure. Soon, she surpassed the 180 mark. At 181 she was now heavier than her boyfriend, who stood 5’-11”.

She was not making a conscious effort to get fatter, but not really trying to prevent it either. Distracted by her duties aboard ship and her extracurricular love affair, she continued to eat with abandon.

Eventually she reached another milestone, size 20 XXL. Looking at the chart for her 192 pound weight,  she realized her BMI put her into the morbidly obese category. Getting dressed for work she knew it was not just a number. The tape showed her newest statistics at 49FF-42-53. Her face was now getting puffy and round. The plumpness of her cheeks had erased any evidence of cheekbones long before and her neck had swollen to nearly the size of her head.  Each upper arm had ballooned with fat, so that they wiggled with her every motion and gave her the dreaded wattle when she extended them.  Her belly was sinking southward in its quest for growth. Now it had two creases, so if her breasts were not so large it would have appeared that she had 4 sets. Said breasts, no longer defying gravity, were now bigger than her mom’s. Again, she focussed on her butt; which would not fit into her latest wardrobe. The tailor shop had already ordered a few in the next larger sizes, just in case.

The plan was warranted, for in two more months she crossed another threshold. Wendy had told the uniform fitter she was up to 199, but the 200 mark had been crossed the week before. At 203 lbs. she was getting alarmed, her BMI indicating she was now over 60% body fat. But she admitted that she just couldn’t stop eating. Even at night now she would get overwhelming hunger pangs, which she satisfied on junk food. Maybe the doctor could help.

After her visit she asked to see the captain. “What’s up?” Greg  asked.

“Well” she said “I think you are going to need a new cruise director.” She handed him letter of resignation.

Epilog

Alarmed he said “No. Please. Whatever it is, let me fix this.”

Wendy kissed his cheek. “Don’t worry I’m not leaving you too. But for one thing, I need to get away from all this food for a while. Another six months here and I’ll sink the boat. My belly is getting so big; they can’t find uniforms big enough as it is.”

He began to stroke it gently and said “I don’t mind. We can find someone to custom outfit you if that is all…”

Then she took his hand and held it a bit lower.  Pressing harder she said “There’s something else. Feel it. I think your fish swim a lot better than you bargained for.”

He thought a moment and then the lights came on. “Are you.. I mean…”

“Yes. Doctor Rashanti says about 4 months. Didn’t show, cause I was growing anyway. Ship is no place to raise a baby. I need to get off.”

Delighted, Greg hugged her and said. “Look I was going to do this anyway, but now… Wendy I love you more than you will ever know. Would you do me the great honor of being my wife.

No answer. Just a nod while she wiped the tears of joy from her plump cheeks. Once the shock had died down they got down to business. The wedding arrangements were easy. They could marry aboard ship, but decided on a land ceremony.

Then, they needed to sort out a replacement for Wendy. “Let’s talk to Leanne Simpson, she has little to do, now that the aerobics classes are cancelled.  She seems bright and eager. “

Wendy met her for lunch. Leanne watched as she loaded her tray with as much food as she could carry but said nothing.

Wendy began to gorge herself at first, then realized her lunch companion was staring. “What?”

“Nothing” was the reply. Then she added “Can I offer just a friend…” She paused as if summoning up the courage to proceed. “It’s just well, you’re getting so…big lately. Maybe you could slow down a bit. I mean no offence.”

Smiling Wendy added. “None taken. Actually that’s why you are here. Part of the reason for my appetite is I’m eating for two now. I’ll be leaving after this cruise.”

Leanne looked genuinely sad. “I’m happy for you of course. But I’ll miss you. I really liked working for you. Now who will I work for?”

Wendy smiled. “Captain,  just like me. I’ve recommended you as my replacement.”

Despite herself Leanne jumped up and gave Wendy a hug. “Oh this is amazing. Some days I felt useless. Nothing to do most days. You were right. People on vacation don’t really want to exercise. They want to be pampered. This calls for a celebration. Dessert?”

Wendy had not finished half her meal yet but said “Sure. Cherry pie looks good.”

“Sounds good to me. Then tomorrow, back to the old diet. I’m trying to hide it but I put on a bit of weight myself. I need to drop 5 or 10 pounds.”

Wendy nodded. “Diet…sure.” She took a hard look at her future replacement. The cancelled classes had had an effect on Leanne’s figure as well. Now no more than a sedentary room monitor, she had gained nearly 35 pounds herself. Her days of skimpy spandex outfits had come to an end. Now it was loose sweats, but they did not conceal the bulging belly or enlarged rump.

Leanne brought back an entire pie. “Might as well celebrate in style. She wolfed down the first piece and went back to get a bowl of whipped cream. The whole time she was walking the jiggle in her rump was attracting the men of the room.

Wendy trusted her husband, but no point in bucking the odds. He noticed one of the stewards, Tom Bryce, staring at Leanne as well. Come to think of it, he had been her own steward most of the time too. Hmmm. Time for action.

She waved the young man over and whispered. “I’m on to you.”

He blushed. “You are? I mean what are you talking about?”

She shushed him. “No time for denial. She’ll be back in a moment. You know that fellow crew members are off limits. In theory.” She winked and he nodded in understanding.

“Well, I’ll square it with the Captain. If she’ll go out with you, he’ll turn a blind eye.”

Tom smiled as she pulled him closer. “As for fattening her up, you leave that to her. If she’s not so inclined, you respect  that. We good?”

Tom nodded and looked over. Leanne looked happy to see him. Tom smiled back. He was even happier to see that she was carrying a whole pie. He was pretty sure she intended to eat the whole thing herself.

Tom looked at Wendy and both whispered at the same time. I think this will work out just fine.

The end