The Fishery Awards

swahilimonkfish

Hi guys, just a little thing I've been doing elsewhere. An award 'ceremony' for the best pieces of WG art and WG stories in various categories across the internet.

For this year, the nominees were announced 27/02, and the winners will be announced 27/03 (Going head-to-head with the Oscars XD). Below are all the nominees and, at the bottom, a link to a playlist of all the nominated works as well as a link to a Google Forms doc where you can vote for which one deserves to win. Please vote before the ones most deserving, but please check out the other nominees first, it's only fair on them that they have just as much chance as more established works. This isn't the Oscars after all...

The Fishery Awards 2022

The Nominees

Welcome to the nominees for this year’s Fishery Awards. I’m your host, Fishy McFishface, and I’m here to run through the best that this year has had to offer in terms of people and their accompanying blubber.

But before we go too far, I would like to mention this ceremony’s sponsor - Sadness. Sadness is an emotion that can be felt, and it can be yours for free. Yes, for free! Just use the discount code: WHYISTHEWORLDLIKETHIS and get free Sadness with same-day delivery. That’s Sadness: because when life gets you down, stay down, it’s easier that way!

Over the coming weeks, as we head towards the ceremony on 27th March 2022, we will hear more from the writers as they talk to Fishy Kimmell and Conan Roe’Brien, because that somehow makes you more likely to win awards apparently? Not how good it is or anything like that, oh no, but the capacity to schmooze. And when it is released also has a bearing for some reason. Awards suck balls, come to think of it.

Also note, these are nominated by you. So, if you’re wondering why x or y didn’t make it, it probably wasn’t nominated, unfortunately. Also, limited category size meant a lot of great work missed the cut in a lot of categories. I hoped this award would be a chance to celebrate your work, but I have spent most of my time worrying about the ones that didn’t get nominated. Awards really do suck balls.

Now, to the nominees, in order of interestingness or lack thereof:

Best Galactic Feature
The best story not set on Earth: often fantasy or sci-fi based.

The Covetous Priestess by TheCyrilFiggis
The Weasel of Malgoren by SilverPathfinder
Gaze Into The Obese by Westmetal
Ameyalli by ophion8118
Lyra’s Last Climb by AdiposeAdorer

There are a lot of people we expected here on this list; a veritable who’s who of fantasy WG experts. If it were based on name alone though, then it would be Westmetal’s to lose. As it is, it looks like a wide open race. Almost as wide open as the mouth of a… umm… fat person! Yeah!

Best International Feature
The best story partially or entirely set in a country where English is not a native language. Such as Germany. Or Canada.

F*ck America by Dania201
Double Date by SpartacusDA
Lady Luck by Marlow0

Okay, this category was shorter than most, but it is a clear case of quality over quantity. Watch out for Lady Luck by Marlow, who is expected to do well in a number of categories. However, never overlook F*ck America, as a sentiment or a potential Best International Feature.

Sexiest Weight Gain
The one with the sexiest weight gain. Funnily enough.

Lady Luck by Marlow0
The Weasel of Malgoren by SilverPathfinder
Gaze into the Obese by Westmetal
A Little Last Night Snack by bob123456789123
Perfectus in Mundo by BoboTheHoboWrites

Interestingly, this category has a large amount of overlap with the fantasy category. People just really love it when people gain weight in Mediaeval taverns or something, I guess. Fat wenches must be a popular thing; I guess you live and you learn.

Two nominees for Lady Luck already, and Silv and Westmetal picking up their second noms of the night too. And we all love noms here. Because of the whole, yaknow, fat thing. Nom? As in omnomnom? Feel free to laugh, don’t feel like you need to repress it or anything.

My personal nominee didn’t make the cut, unfortunately. Sunny’s New Normal has been robbed here. Robbed, I tell you.

Best Short
The best Short is Martin, but that’s not what this is. This is the best WG story with a solitary instalment. And speaking of solitary, don’t forget our sponsors: Sadness! Because feeling Sad means at least you feel something. Available every time you check Twitter. Or watch the news. Or think about where your life is heading.

Making a Point by Skinnybitch500
CFJK7: Amanda Won’t Gain Weight by TheCyrilFiggis
Meatier by ShrubberyLogistic
Wendy’s Weigh-In by AdiposeAdorer
An Over-Extended Summer by firewarrior121

One of my favourite categories, this one. Every one of these is a doozy. Cyril gets his second of the night, for the wonderful Amanda Won’t Gain Weight. Also, Skinnybitch500 gets her first, though unlikely to be her last. An Over-Extended Summer is perhaps the shock nominee here, a late release that has shot into the nomination slot. Whether that is recency bias or not, we can only find out.

Best Multimedia Story-telling
The story to feature more than one story-telling medium, be it writing, visual, gaming, or Derek Acorah (very niche British joke there).

Week of the Werefatty by Seeker9043
The Weit-Gainberg series by Westmetal ft. SilverPathfinder
Welcome to the Fat Parade by firedog98 and PeachPeachPlumb
Stories With Siren by SirensLair
Fed Up by Polarisdreamer and piengoo

This category is wonderfully eclectic. A game for Seeker9043 and an audio-thingy for Sirenslair make for a very interesting category. But the collabs are probably the big hitters, with the same names popping up, here as elsewhere. First nom for Polaris too, but one to watch for the future.

Best Animated Story-telling
Weight gain story-telling in a visual format, for those that believe that a picture tells a thousand calories.

Losing Control by Better-With-Salt
Nina and Lin by piengoo
a digital quickie by berserker1133
Moving Back Home by magmaman
Mandy by SIZE-SURPRISE

A few surprises here, but no surprise who the front-runner is. Better-with-salt has been the favourite here since the beginning. Magmaman has also had a good year and SIZE-SURPRISE has a strong following too. But I’ll eat my hat if it’s anything other than the Losing Control series. And, even though we like eating here, rarely do we endorse the eating of hats.

+-+-+-+-+-+-

Now: another quick word from our sponsors.
Do you often look out the window, see what’s outside and think…. F*ck.
Do you often look in through the window, see what’s inside and think… F*ck
Do you ever look at yourself in the mirror and think… F*ck.
Then Sadness might be just the thing for you!
But don’t take our word from it, listen to what our customers had to say about Sadness:
“Like, what’s the point in… any of it?” Sandra, 41, Sales Executive from Coventry
“I used to have hope, but now I realise hope is a delusion to deflect us from the pain of our real lives” Sandra, 41, single mum from Coventry
“Everything will die, but there will be nothing left alive to mourn all that has been lost” Sandra, 41, part-time Twitter troll from Coventry.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Best Picture
No, not like the one at the Oscars. This is literally the best picture. One-off visual depiction of lovely squishy plumpness.

Nicole and Ashton by CSMKynes and TheCyrilFiggis
Bathing in Bliss - Sarya and Lucy by SilverPathfinder
Revenge 100 by Annonnxyz
Matilda Nolasco by firewarrior121
The Big Bellied Dancer by fatty-writes and WartimeSweets

SilverPathfinder will perhaps be low-key disappointed at just the one nomination here, and Annonnxyz will be a touch relieved to get a nomination here after harshly missing out in the previous category. Their Revenge series is great, but Revenge 100 is possibly the front-runner here. Also, watch out for Nicole and Ashton, there’s a real buzz about the Nicole series this year.

Best Ensemble
Some stories have a great character or two. This rewards stories with a whole host of great characters

Weighty Matters by skinnybitch500
The Big Bend by MrWrong1 and Monk001
Nicole by TheCyrilFiggis
Gradual Gains by fatty-writes
Megababe by Katie-KTL-Lunalia

And this is where things start to get serious, and some of the favourites for the top gong raise their heads. Weighty Matters, The Big Bend and Nicole will be glad to get some momentum for the later categories. But watch out for dark horses Megababe and Gradual Gains, two stories with a wonderful group of characters. This one really is a five-horse race.

Best Adapted Story
The best story inspired by real life or pre-existing works

What Both Of Us Wanted by Charisawriter
The Sorceress Stress Snacking by Westmetal
Keeping Katie Safe by SpartacusDA
Jill’s Swelling Stay at House Beneviento by Borin23
Step Into My Candy Store by VenusDeRubens

Westmetal is probably the king of the adapted story, but this is for one-off works and not cumulative efforts over a career. Charisawriter and VenusDeRubens will both consider this their best chance of an award, so expect fireworks. Not as in drama, but actual fireworks. And not by me, I’m skint, but by somebody, possibly at New Year. Yeah, at New Year, expect there to be fireworks, that’s what I’m saying.

Best Original Story
Best story not based on real-life or pre-existing IP. Not necessarily original in terms of ideas though. Because the plots are all the same: Person = fat = yum = more fat. Lazy hacks.

Army Wives by STC9892
Weighty Matters by Skinnybitch500

And here we go, our closest look yet at who will be in the running for the top prize. First nomination for Army Wives, but they are probably the one to beat in this competition. A shock absence for Nicole, which is another one of the favourites for the big trophy, sees FDU mainstay Megababe arrive on the scene. Arriving on the scene ** and hungover, somehow, but arriving on the scene nonetheless. And Meatier, which narrowly lost out in the pre-cursor award ceremony run by SilverPathfinder here, gets a shock nomination.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Now, because this is an American award show, we need to cram in way too many adverts, so here is another word from our sponsor: Sadness.

Here at Sadness factories, we work hard to make sure you feel Sad. And working hard makes us feel Sad, because it impacts on our time with our loved ones and families.

And we do this because we know that everyone deserves the right to be Sad. Apart from the billionaires who are destroying the planet. Shucks Zucks, but you don’t get to feel Sad! But everyone else, they sure deserve to feel so very Sad. So get Sad today. Available at all good retailers, employers, homes, relationships, social interactions and lives.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Best Supporting Male
Not the best ‘supportive’ male, because there is no such thing. No, this award celebrates the men who don’t have to be the centre of attention, who don’t think the world revolves around them and don’t think we should check out the Joe Rogan Podcast “cuz it’s quite good actually”.

Will Goodwinn from 5 Little Piggies by TheCyrilFiggis
Darkwolf from The Flabtastic Pigwoman by Firedog98
George from Gradual Gains by fatty-writes
Scott from Fed Up by polarisdreamer and piengoo
Keith from Fed Up by polarisdreamer and piengoo

A lean category - literally as well as figuratively - with an unsurprising dearth of interesting male characters. It’s somewhat endearing to see that in this corner of the internet, it’s the men who get 2D characters and tropish roles, and the women who get agency and complexity and depth. And breadth. And width.

The first double-nom of the night for Fed Up, and the nice sight of Cyril celebrated for something beyond Nicole. But it is probably a George vs. Darkwolf toss-up, because nice guys don’t always finish last.

Best Supporting Female
This category celebrates those women who know their place… at award ceremonies!

Ashton Michaels from Nicole by TheCyrilFiggis
Stabigail from Tests by Skinnybitch500
Cowgirl from Pigwoman vs Cowgirl by Firedog98
Summer from Fed Up by Polarisdreamer and piengoo
Helena from BIG by Katie-KTL-Lunalia

Here is possibly the biggest upset of the night, as Zephyra from Lady Luck loses out to something called [checks notes, squints at it a little, checks with producer, shrugs] BIG. Despite BIG being seen as less mainstream than most nominees, the character clearly could not be contained. It’s worth noting that Fed Up have done well in the supporting categories here, but it does look like a clash between the old and the new. Ashton Michaels has been the favourite all year, but can jonny-cum-lately Stabigail overtake her at the final furlong? Both are fighters, so it should be exciting. And lesbians. But I don’t know why I mentioned that last part.

Best Lead Male
This category doffs its cap in the direction of the gentlemen who have at least as much screen time as Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs.

Nathan Nixon/Feederman from Capes and Cuisines by TheCyrilFiggis
Shiva Shapiro from The Big Bend by MrWrong1 and Monk001
Max McWendy from To Become a Feeder by fatty-writes
Sam from Whatever the Cost by jentera
Captain Benedict Muir, RN from Lady Luck by Marlow0

This category seems to be bringing familiar writers with unfamiliar works to the fore, with fatty-writes and TheCyrilFiggis having a third story nominated. That shows real talent. Imagine being able to write more than one story within the space of a year instead of dragging your story about a truck driver out to nearly two years despite no discernible plot. Umm… yeah, sorry about that, don’t know where that rant came from.

Best Lead Female
We all like a female that takes the lead (ed. There’s a time and place man, and this ain’t it!), and this category celebrates the main characters who also happen to have boobies.

AE from Weighty Matters by Skinnybitch500
Sinead from Army Wives by STC9892
Nicole Valdez from Nicole by TheCyrilFiggis
Unnamed Protagonist from F*ck America by Dania201
Megababe from Megababe by Katie-KTL-Lunalia

This category was, hands down, the most competitive of the lot. Sunny from Sunny’s New Normal, Fallon Leslie from Breakdown, Adelaide from Lady Luck all would have got nominated in any other year. And I have genuinely no idea which of these will prevail. As far as I’m concerned, they all deserve it. And my opinion can be trusted, for I am a fish and fish never lie.

Best Writing
This celebrates the best writing. I feel like you coulda worked that one out without this explainer here, but it’s too late now, I’ve committed.

Army Wives by STC9892
Quality without Compromise by Sonic-Purity
Amusement and Adipose by n.o.p.e.2525
Lady Luck by Marlow0

Some expected and some unexpected names here. Despite not having a nomination so far, both n.o.p.e.2525 and Sonic-Purity storm into this category with two wonderfully idiosyncratic stories. Here, they rub shoulders with yet another nomination for the other three candidates, a real mix of Davids and Goliaths.

Best Story
And here it is, the big one. That’s how every weight gain story opens, but it also applies as a description for the shenanigans neath us. These are the ten (10) greatest WG and WG-adjacent stories told over the past 12 months. 12 months that have seen a plague, have seen prices spiral beyond most’s means, have seen the sovereign democratic nation of Ukraine invaded by a bloodthirsty psychopath. During these 12 horrific, gruelling, near-excruciating months these stories have not kept us going, because they’re just kink writing after all. But I reckon they’re pretty decent, all things considered.

Army Wives by STC9892
Lady Luck by Marlow0
Nicole by TheCyrilFiggis
What We Do For Likes by Faertraveler
Sunny’s New Normal by JakeMcDuck and sunshinefeedee
Fed Up by polarisdreamer and piengoo
Weighty Matters by skinnybitch500

A huge thank you to everyone nominated! You wouldn’t believe the number of wonderful stories and artworks that missed out on categories despite being wonderful. If your work missed out, just presume yours was one of those unlucky ones I was referencing, and not one of the terrible ones that nobody liked XD.

Every person who has a nomination is allowed (downright encouraged) to brand their works with Fishery Award Nominee, Fishery Award 2022 Nominee, X Time Fishery Award nominee or Fishery-Award Nominated. Over the next month, you will have to try and rope your followers into voting below and raising the profile of your work, so as to become an award winner. If you succeed, you will be the proud owner of some Self-Esteem. It’s a bit like Sadness, but even better. I’m sorry I can’t actually deliver actual prizes, but I’m skint and disorganised and this whole thing was arranged on a whim. But you deserve all the prizes in the world, you’ve all been chest-swellingly(BE) excellent.

Now, who wins? Well, down below is a link to a Google Forms doc where you can fill in the survey, and literally vote for who wins! How cool is that? All you have to do is be a member of the Fishery Academy! I’m just kidding, there’s no such thing. Anyone can vote, just click the link and choose your favourites. However, please read/engage with every nomination first before voting. It’s only fair on the people here, especially those without a huge number of watchers, if you give each story a fair crack of the whip. You never know, a story you’ve never heard of, from a writer whose name you can’t pronounce, might just turn out to be the best thing for any given category.

LIST OF NOMINEES https://www.deviantart.com/swahilimonkfish/favourites/90617191/the-fishery-awards-nominees-2022

VOTE https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1xew8kTZ_xJRLFcgEt3xOlOJ-xbKifObuv0088X_45lg/edit?usp=drivesdk

And now you have voted, please hear a final word from our sponsor for the day: Sadness.

Have you ever watched the news? Are you sentient? Do you have feelings? Then you are probably drowning in Sadness. Well, good news, fellow Sad fans because Sadness 2.0 is out, with brand new features such as:
Existential dread.
Sense of guilt for something that happened a long time ago but appears in your head for some reason when you’re trying to go to sleep.
Insecurity.
Sense of guilt for feeling all of the above things.
Oh god I’m worthless.
Everything is worthless.

So check out Sadness 2.0 today! Trust us, you will regret it. And feel guilty about it. That’s one of the features. ;)