Medications and weight gain

Fapoleonboneuparse

Might get a lot of flack for this, but I'm wondering... if a girl is taking medications such as antipsychotics, how likely is it that she will gain a lot of weight?

Personally I'd be excited despite her mental illness. It makes something positive out of a negative. Anyone have any stories about medicine and gaining?

I know someone who took antidepressants at one point which made her lethargic and increased her appetite. Both of these things made her gain 5stone in 1 year and she now has some rather gorgeous stretch marks down her side. They're literally like straight lines.

I say gorgeous because not only is she curvy yet beautiful (yeah she lost the weight) but those marks show a story a part of her life. Which to me is fascinating.

Unfortunately I didn't know her whilst she was near suicidally depressed.

Nor would I post the photo's of her as she's an amazing friend and I love her to bits. It would be a massive betrayal of trust to do that without asking her first. Anyway nope no photo's of her during that journey.

Unfortunately I didn't know her whilst she was near suicidally depressed.

Nor would I post the photo's of her as she's an amazing friend and I love her to bits. It would be a massive betrayal of trust to do that without asking her first. Anyway nope no photo's of her during that journey.

Totally understandable , wasnt expecting any post :)

I had to take antidepressants. I started off at 73kg and after a year I gained 20kg.

I'd say it's pretty likely someone will gain when they're on antidepressants...

I remember feeling like a bottomless pit when I was on them, lol...

There were days that I could just eat and eat and not feel full.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antidepressants-and-weight-gain/AN01396

I thought this link would help explain why people gain weight during antidepressants. It also shows which antidepressants are more or less likely to put on weight. Also, here are a few of the factors that contribute to the weight gain:

Overeating as a result of depression can cause weight gain.

Some people lose weight as part of their depression. In turn, an improved appetite associated with improved mood may result in increased weight.

Adults generally tend to gain weight each year, regardless of the medications they take. Getting regular exercise and watching what you eat will help you maintain a healthy weight whether you take an antidepressant or not.

Would an imbalance of hormones also be the cause of gaining weight while taking an antidepressant/anti-psychotic?

Guest Model 1887

I was depressed for a while following a near-death experience (I was hospitalized with encephalitis a few years back). After it happened, I became convinced that I'd developed some kind of incurable dementia, and that spiraled downwards into depression. I took some antidepressants and they actually caused me to lose my appetite almost entirely -- I wound up dropping about 20lbs there for a while. Pity I couldn't keep it off in the long term!

Anyhoo, the meds didn't seem to do much, so I only stayed on them about a month. For me, recovery only came when I went back to college and, ultimately, when I moved out of the horrible place I was living at the time. Since then, after listening to other people's stories about depression, I've become convinced that, while the disease is absolutely crippling, 90% of it is situational. IE, if you can make significant changes to what's going on, you might just be able to get out of it. The key is taking control, however.

Guest lucytheginger

I take medicine for my thyroid that actually caused me to gain weight when it's suppose to help speed up my thyroid. I've had a few friends gain from anti-depressants, and birth control as well. It depends on what you're taking.

I take medicine for my thyroid that actually caused me to gain weight when it's suppose to help speed up my thyroid. I've had a few friends gain from anti-depressants, and birth control as well. It depends on what you're taking.

Take more of that medicine of yours :D

Guest lucytheginger

Lol. Vennie, you have a mission to accomplish, eh?

Not necessarily, my wife takes it (Levothyroxine) for a thyroid nodule to suppress it.

She's a BBW.

Lol. Vennie, you have a mission to accomplish, eh?

Very much so ;)

Admit it, you were actually smoking weed.

I don't do drugs.

Admit it, you were actually smoking weed.

I don't do drugs.

Just alcohol and coffee, right? ;)