Scary Movie Recommendations?

LaurenLush

• Curvage Model

I’ve never seen OG fright night! 

I’ll be watching that tonight!

The past few nights I watched a few odd scary movies that didn’t do much for me

House of darkness: YAWWWWN

The devils candy: decent movie just felt like it was missing some things

We need to do something: what the actual FRICK. weird movie lol

Edited by LaurenLush

Check out 

Dr. Giggles - fun movie, lot of good scares, a few laughs. Well written

Urban Legend - if you like it, there are sequels, serial killer whodunit with an urban legend MO

Final Destination - this is a series of films, I liked 2 & 3 the best

It Follows - a creeping menace relentlessly pursues it's victims

Sleepy Hollow - the Johnny Depp version.  Tale well-told with a few details Irving left out of the original.

The Raven - Edgar Allan Poe is engaged to consult on the investigation of a series of grizzly deaths that mimic Poe's tales of woe

Stitches - ghost of a clown seeks revenge, funny as well as scary

Someone mentioned Ginger Snaps, good recommendation.

Wolf Cop - another horror comedy, genuinely funny AND scary

Willard - the remake starring Crispin Glover with R. Lee Ermy, gripping story, intense tension

Fido - in what seems like an alternate universe, instead of WW2 the US fought off a Zombie apocalypse, and found ways to survive, cope, and eventually thrive in the aftermath, living a new "golden age" in the 1950's by "domesticating" the undead.  A really quirky and original film!

Trick 'r Treat - four scarily interwoven tales play out on Halloween night in an otherwise pleasant little town. Fun film!

The Mortuary Collection - stories related to a new apprentice by a mortician (Netflix original I think)

Frankenhooker - hilarious, over-the top film.  Oddball electrician harvests spare parts from the local red light district to re-assemble his dismembered fiance.

Special shout-out to Shudder's "Creepshow" series.  This is an anthology series, short, unrelated stories.  Great production values and superb stories, each tale just 15 minutes long so it's easy to pick up and put down... or if a certain story is not to your liking, easy to click on to the next.  Fourth season just dropped!  AMC owns Shudder now, so you might be able get this via AMC.

To find films streaming (a lot are free or on services you already use) 

IMDB

ROKU search

JustWatch.com

JustWatch has become my go-to.  You can tell it what services you already use so it prioritizes those results.  It will call out free services you may never have heard of, and it will take note of your favorites to make suggestions based on the sorts of films you've liked.  IMDB has been co-opted by Amazon and not surprisingly ignores a lot of free content online and prioritizes Amazon rental films now.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Few more forgotten gems:

Dawn of the Dead (either, but the 2003 version rocks)

Zombieland (Woody Harrelson as "Talahasse", unforgettable, funny)

Shawn of the Dead (fantastic comedic pay on the Z motif)

The Ring (alternately, "Ringu")
Let the Right One In

What We Do In The Shadows

Return of the Living Dead

I Know What You Did Last Summer

The "Scream" television series... cut off too soon, but great while it lasted.

I highly recommend “Drag Me To Hell” too!

It’s kinda a ridiculous sorta goofy horror movie lol, but it’s pretty entertaining throughout. I saw it back in theaters when it first came out and it was intense! 😱 Then watching it over I found it mostly funny with some creepy scenes and jump scares. I haven’t seen it in awhile, but oooh it’s a good one!

Plus there’s a little something kinda related to feedism in it that of course I enjoyed 😂😂😂

• Curvage Model
1 hour ago, Whatsup1234 said:

I highly recommend “Drag Me To Hell” too!

It’s kinda a ridiculous sorta goofy horror movie lol, but it’s pretty entertaining throughout. I saw it back in theaters when it first came out and it was intense! 😱 Then watching it over I found it mostly funny with some creepy scenes and jump scares. I haven’t seen it in awhile, but oooh it’s a good one!

Plus there’s a little something kinda related to feedism in it that of course I enjoyed 😂😂😂

Yesss! Seen it! So good!

I finally purchase netflix so I don’t have to beg everyone I know to get their code 😂

about to have a gooooood scary movie marathon! 

• Curvage Model
On 10/15/2023 at 11:22 AM, flake113 said:

Check out 

Dr. Giggles - fun movie, lot of good scares, a few laughs. Well written

Urban Legend - if you like it, there are sequels, serial killer whodunit with an urban legend MO

Final Destination - this is a series of films, I liked 2 & 3 the best

It Follows - a creeping menace relentlessly pursues it's victims

Sleepy Hollow - the Johnny Depp version.  Tale well-told with a few details Irving left out of the original.

The Raven - Edgar Allan Poe is engaged to consult on the investigation of a series of grizzly deaths that mimic Poe's tales of woe

Stitches - ghost of a clown seeks revenge, funny as well as scary

Someone mentioned Ginger Snaps, good recommendation.

Wolf Cop - another horror comedy, genuinely funny AND scary

Willard - the remake starring Crispin Glover with R. Lee Ermy, gripping story, intense tension

Fido - in what seems like an alternate universe, instead of WW2 the US fought off a Zombie apocalypse, and found ways to survive, cope, and eventually thrive in the aftermath, living a new "golden age" in the 1950's by "domesticating" the undead.  A really quirky and original film!

Trick 'r Treat - four scarily interwoven tales play out on Halloween night in an otherwise pleasant little town. Fun film!

The Mortuary Collection - stories related to a new apprentice by a mortician (Netflix original I think)

Frankenhooker - hilarious, over-the top film.  Oddball electrician harvests spare parts from the local red light district to re-assemble his dismembered fiance.

Special shout-out to Shudder's "Creepshow" series.  This is an anthology series, short, unrelated stories.  Great production values and superb stories, each tale just 15 minutes long so it's easy to pick up and put down... or if a certain story is not to your liking, easy to click on to the next.  Fourth season just dropped!  AMC owns Shudder now, so you might be able get this via AMC.

To find films streaming (a lot are free or on services you already use) 

IMDB

ROKU search

JustWatch.com

JustWatch has become my go-to.  You can tell it what services you already use so it prioritizes those results.  It will call out free services you may never have heard of, and it will take note of your favorites to make suggestions based on the sorts of films you've liked.  IMDB has been co-opted by Amazon and not surprisingly ignores a lot of free content online and prioritizes Amazon rental films now.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Great list!!

If you're into films spoofing the genre, check out

Behind the Mask (faux documentary of a serial killer)

The Final Girls

Both are funny and intense in places.

Also:

Happy Death Day

Happy Death Day 2U

Kind of a "Groundhog Day" scenario where a college student tries to discover who it is that keeps killing her at the end of each day, and how to break the loop and prevent her death.

2 hours ago, LaurenLush said:

Ooh yes I’ve seen a lot of these!

But now I have quite the list to get through! I am so excited! I’ll report back!

I started watching one the other night that was foreign and about werewolves but I was dead tired and didn’t finish

See a great scary movie doesn't put you to sleep.. even with being a parent lol... I remember i watched It (the original ) and i was like yeah let's see if my kid wants to play that shoots n ladders game she was bugging about b4 she went to bed..   😅😅😅😅

Apologies for if I am repeating anything already recommended, but what about The Fog (1980)? 

Dead of Night (1945) was the inspiration for several horror tropes that we still cower from today! Ventriloquist dummies, anyone?

And for a laugh - well, you might be needing one after so many frightful films - Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 is unique

Try them. . . if you dare! Or if you're short of things to watch. Either works.