Mall of America (concept idea)

gLs3

I have a good idea for a story or what I believe to be a good idea but I wouldn’t say writing stories is my strong suit although I’m willing to try if no one picks it up. My idea would be a young slim girl gets an idea to do food reviews of every eatery in mall of America. There are over 90 different places. She would do the reviews on tik tok or a similar platform. She would start off as an unknown but become a viral sensation rather quickly with her reviews. She would make rule for herself where she needs to finish the whole meal plus a dessert each time. She would obviously gain weight during this time at a natural pace. She would carry the weight very well. Her series and herself would only grow more and more. What does anyone think? 

Great idea! I'd tackle it myself if I didn't have like fourteen unfinished stories of my own waiting for my attention. I've never been to Mall of America specifically but of course the writer could just make up a megamall of their own.

This inspired a similar idea: Have y'all seen the movie Julie & Julia? Well it's based on a true story: A writer named Julie Powell decided to cook every recipe in Julia Child's massive Mastering the Art of French Cooking — one recipe per day — and blog about it. She wound up collecting the blog posts into a book that became a bestseller and then the aforementioned movie.

So imagine a slim writer gets the same sort of assignment but it's a super-decadent dessert cookbook. It's a fun gig and she's psyched at first, but then she starts gaining weight and freaks out. Problem is, the series is a hit and her editor won't allow her to quit so she gives into it, figuring she'll lose the weight when she's done. Then somewhere along the way she becomes an accidental size positivity icon, something she discovers accidentally. She's mortified at first but then gets all kinds of offers and opportunities from it and so comes to embrace her size. By the end she's a world-famous celebrity SSBBW and it's onto the next cookbook....

11 hours ago, mal57 said:

Great idea! I'd tackle it myself if I didn't have like fourteen unfinished stories of my own waiting for my attention. I've never been to Mall of America specifically but of course the writer could just make up a megamall of their own.

This inspired a similar idea: Have y'all seen the movie Julie & Julia? Well it's based on a true story: A writer named Julie Powell decided to cook every recipe in Julia Child's massive Mastering the Art of French Cooking — one recipe per day — and blog about it. She wound up collecting the blog posts into a book that became a bestseller and then the aforementioned movie.

So imagine a slim writer gets the same sort of assignment but it's a super-decadent dessert cookbook. It's a fun gig and she's psyched at first, but then she starts gaining weight and freaks out. Problem is, the series is a hit and her editor won't allow her to quit so she gives into it, figuring she'll lose the weight when she's done. Then somewhere along the way she becomes an accidental size positivity icon, something she discovers accidentally. She's mortified at first but then gets all kinds of offers and opportunities from it and so comes to embrace her size. By the end she's a world-famous celebrity SSBBW and it's onto the next cookbook....

That’s a good idea too. I vaguely remember that movie. Hearing about it. I would read that. But hey if you get done with your other 14 have a crack at this 😂

10 hours ago, gLs3 said:

That’s a good idea too. I vaguely remember that movie. Hearing about it. I would read that. But hey if you get done with your other 14 have a crack at this 😂

I might just take you up on it — stay tuned!

14 hours ago, mal57 said:

I might just take you up on it — stay tuned!

I would be excited if you do. Heck this got me thinking what if several people start with the same idea but write their own version of it. Not just this idea but any others 

8 hours ago, gLs3 said:

I would be excited if you do. Heck this got me thinking what if several people start with the same idea but write their own version of it. Not just this idea but any others 

I was in a great writing group on DeviantArt where we did just that. A little friendly competition did wonders for my work. Unfortunately the group kinda fell apart during covid.