Automotive repair/advice thread

gta

• Moderators

I figured since there's some automotive enthusiasts on Curvage, why not start a thread for advice and discussion on said topic? I have a question and was wondering if anyone around here would have an opinion.

I found a screw in my left rear tire today, so I removed it expecting to have to plug the hole. As it turns out, the screw was quite short (3/8 - 1/2 inch max), and it went in at an angle near the top of the tread pattern. I did the typical soap/spit test and didn't notice any air leaking. So I'm wondering whether or not a plug is really necessary for this situation. The tire didn't get punctured enough to leak air, but it was punctured enough to, well, get punctured. Is the tire going to be weak there? Should I try to plug it anyways, essentially finishing what the screw started?

I attached pictures for reference. I'm really hoping I can just leave the tire alone, I'd hate to puncture it myself to plug it, or drop $400 on a new pair of 235/50-18s... stupid performance tires. I'm going to monitor the tire pressure in the mean time, any advice would be appreciated!

post-1314-14513363412815_thumb.jpg

post-1314-14513363424752_thumb.jpg

patch it, its easy, won't hurt the tire. bad example but i patched the sidewall of a 35" General Grabber on my truck that had a puncture that i could put the tip of my pinky in and it has had that patch in it for a couple months and holds air no problem. Your situation is more than optimal to patch it yourself. save the money for tires when you really need them

I figured since there's some automotive enthusiasts on Curvage, why not start a thread for advice and discussion on said topic? I have a question and was wondering if anyone around here would have an opinion.

I found a screw in my left rear tire today, so I removed it expecting to have to plug the hole. As it turns out, the screw was quite short (3/8 - 1/2 inch max), and it went in at an angle near the top of the tread pattern. I did the typical soap/spit test and didn't notice any air leaking. So I'm wondering whether or not a plug is really necessary for this situation. The tire didn't get punctured enough to leak air, but it was punctured enough to, well, get punctured. Is the tire going to be weak there? Should I try to plug it anyways, essentially finishing what the screw started?

I attached pictures for reference. I'm really hoping I can just leave the tire alone, I'd hate to puncture it myself to plug it, or drop $400 on a new pair of 235/50-18s... stupid performance tires. I'm going to monitor the tire pressure in the mean time, any advice would be appreciated!

In your case, if the hole is that small and didn't really "puncture" anything- I mean, it's up to you, but a patch really isn't needed.  This is assuming it only hit the tread, and that channel/ tread is deep enough.  In that part of the tire it's not really...load bearing, per se, so most likely you're in good shape so long as it's not leaking air.  The meat of the tire is meant to take a little punishment  :)

patch it, its easy, won't hurt the tire. bad example but i patched the sidewall of a 35" General Grabber on my truck that had a puncture that i could put the tip of my pinky in and it has had that patch in it for a couple months and holds air no problem. Your situation is more than optimal to patch it yourself. save the money for tires when you really need them

Why you decided to patch a hole that was on/ in your sidewall is beyond me.  The sidewall is a significant load bearing part of the tire.  So any hole(s) to that area (especially if it's large) shouldn't be patched; tire needs to be replaced.

Yay for an automotive thread!  Curvage Petrolheads, unite! 

Taking at look at the pictures of your tire the one thing I notice is your tread wear. It looks like it's getting low, and you'll soon be looking at traction issues, especially with winter coming. A patch is much cheaper than new tires, but with your wear getting so low those tires shouldn't be lasting very long anyway. I would start saving up as soon as possible for new ones. Get price quotes from different places, and sometimes different places can offer different rebates and for different tire manufacturers.

• Moderators

Replace your car

I've considered it... When it rains, it pours. Somehow my left fog lamp assembly got smashed this weekend as well. Luckily I can get a replacement for about $80 and fix it myself.

In your case, if the hole is that small and didn't really "puncture" anything- I mean, it's up to you, but a patch really isn't needed.  This is assuming it only hit the tread, and that channel/ tread is deep enough.  In that part of the tire it's not really...load bearing, per se, so most likely you're in good shape so long as it's not leaking air.  The meat of the tire is meant to take a little punishment  :)

Why you decided to patch a hole that was on/ in your sidewall is beyond me.  The sidewall is a significant load bearing part of the tire.  So any hole(s) to that area (especially if it's large) shouldn't be patched; tire needs to be replaced.

Yay for an automotive thread!  Curvage Petrolheads, unite! 

Yeah, I'm assuming it just punctured the tread pattern without actually going through. The PSI in the tire held all day, so it's a most minuscule leak if there is one.

Taking at look at the pictures of your tire the one thing I notice is your tread wear. It looks like it's getting low, and you'll soon be looking at traction issues, especially with winter coming. A patch is much cheaper than new tires, but with your wear getting so low those tires shouldn't be lasting very long anyway. I would start saving up as soon as possible for new ones. Get price quotes from different places, and sometimes different places can offer different rebates and for different tire manufacturers.

Yeah, I know the tread is getting low. I don't run the car in the winter, save for a few 15-20 minute runs in nice weather so I don't have to winterize it. I am going to replace the tires next year regardless, these tires are burning up fast - only 21K on these tires... I have it in the budget, I just don't want to spend that money now.

I'm going to try something other than the Pirelli P Zero Neros and hopefully get more mileage out of them. Those Pirellis are the stock tires for the V6 Mustang with the Pony Package. The Bridgestone Turanzas look nice...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+Serenity+Plus&partnum=35WR8TSP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

post-1314-14513363908751_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I always wanted to know, gta: does your name have anything to do with Grand Theft Auto?

Yes, it stands for Grand Theft Auto - can't wait for GTA V! But I honestly like Vennie's acronym better.

Looks pretty fucking mad to me. Just wish it was PC....

Rockstar can't fucking program games, they all run so crappily (not just on pc).

I just found this thread! GTA, you should be able to put a plug in that yourself. If the screw has not punctured the tire, pull it out and carry on smartly. When you get a puncture in your sidewall is when you replace the tire.

• Moderators

I just found this thread! GTA, you should be able to put a plug in that yourself. If the screw has not punctured the tire, pull it out and carry on smartly. When you get a puncture in your sidewall is when you replace the tire.

Good advice - thanks! The screw did not puncture the tire, it's been maintaining proper inflation all week. I guess I got lucky on that one. The fog lamp was easy to replace, I did that a couple of nights ago. I didn't realize how much plastic-on-plastic exists on front bumpers though. Hopefully I didn't strip anything out, fingers crossed.