Weight gain over 40 years old

hinari

Recently I have started to notice a lot of women I know around Perimenopause and menopause age experience weight gain around their bellies. Have also heard conversations regarding this with some people struggling to dress for there new shape.

Has anyone else had experience with weight gain in middle aged women.

It is interesting to observe the changes that only time can effect - from the subtle quirks of personality to the more overt physical refinements. And this change plays out like a well-written novel, with the various chapters of life, the adventures and drama therein, seen perhaps in a newly carefree approach to diet that only some years ago was the stuff of nightmares or, like the OP wrote, a thicker waistline and plump belly resultant of many bigger meals by middle age. Suffice it to say, it - weight gain in a woman's forties - happens, and is quite common.  

But it does not occur of nothing. In most cases, at least in the lives of the few women I know of this age, it was a delightful, cumulative weight gain that followed three changes: 

1. Each quit smoking in their late thirties;
2. Each, at least to my knowledge, did not exercise; and
3. Their diets - strict but not comprehensive - ended at some point in their early thirties. 

Each of these women are quite 'heavy'; you know, big around the middle, waistbands buttoned (if that) awkwardly underneath firm bellies with quite some visceral fat, but wide-hipped and flat-bottomed. Each seems to talk more and more about food whenever I see them too and, maybe as a corollary of their relaxed diet, each has a winning personality I don't remember much from their twenties. In some ways, the contrast from their waifish selves of the past to today is surprising, yet when I consider the various responsibilities they have now in life - families, long working hours and so on - I realise it was probably always going to happen. And seeing them only a few times a year means I can witness the changes as they come; and on occasion, listen to their complaints about changing wardrobe more frequently as they mill around the buffet table. 

Sorry to not have more to say. 

I have heard this before women giving up smoking around perimenopause and it leading to weight gain around the belly and larger breasts.

Earlier this year a collegue in her late 40s was having a hot flush and said she gained 2 stone (28 pounds) over 12 months. Going from a uk size 12 to a 14/16 ( id say more size 16). She also said her boobs has grown from a 34DD to 36H. She said the weight gain became noticable when her periods stopped and peri menopause symptoms began such as the flushes.

I also remember as a young man in my early 20s seeing my friends mums become more curvier and softer as they progressed from their 40s into their 50s. With muffin tops on show more often and bigger boobs and extra cleavge on show. I also remember the fans or menus being used for the flushes.

My kids' former teacher is in her fourties. She was slim back then, and I have lost track of her. The last news I heard of her was that she had joined some weightloss club and has lost 18 kilos already. She must have gained all this, and maybe more, after the last time I saw her. I can only fantasize how she must have looked with the extra weight.

On 1/4/2023 at 9:40 AM, stuckage_fan said:

My kids' former teacher is in her fourties. She was slim back then, and I have lost track of her. The last news I heard of her was that she had joined some weightloss club and has lost 18 kilos already. She must have gained all this, and maybe more, after the last time I saw her. I can only fantasize how she must have looked with the extra weight.

Teaching is a profession where they tend to plump up in their late 30s / early 40s after having kids