On the Precipice

chrissy

“Finally going to get what you’re worth, huh?” 

It was a lazy Friday in late October—last week in fact.  Stephanie and I were coworkers at a smallish publisher; she did mostly marketing and some illustration, I did web development things. There were about a hundred of us at the company—enough to get to know everyone over time, pretty well. 

Part of me was kicking myself to see Steph leaving because, to be frank—and I know this is wrong—but I relished seeing her every day. She had what I would characterize as a  classic case of late 20s weight creep… her last bikini shots on Instagram were from 2017. Truthfully, she was barely even chubby on the day she left, but her large—D-ish chest didn’t come for free over the past two years or so, and all the frilly shirts she wore on top of her stretchy—maybe size 12?—jeans wasn’t completely a benign fashion statement.

And her face.  God. Gorgeous blonde hair to her shoulders, a sharp looker, standing about five ft eight. The best part though? Lest you think I was just trying to catch looks all day, she was just fun to be around. An amazing laugh and always full of hilarious references to the Office and such.

Steph raised her eyebrows, gripping her coffee in the break room. “Something like that. I’m a little nervous about it actually… it’s going to be weird being semi-anonymous in a company like, twenty times the size. But I bet there’ll be fun projects. And yeah, to be honest, can’t ignore the pay.”

“That’s good though—really happy for you. Cheers.” I held up my mug.

“Are we… cheers-ing over coffee?” Steph looked incredulous. My eyes wandered a bit in the moment and caught how her typically frilly red shirt looked a bit translucent today, revealing a tight shirt underneath, and I noticed how her sides began to spill over her jeans a bit. I quickly recovered as Steph began to smile—I wasn’t sure if she caught me.

“I ah… dunno, is that weird, or are you making it weird? I guess it’s usually an alcohol thing?”

“I mean, make do with what you got, right? You’re going to the going away party, right?”

“Oh uh, yeah of course. Was there an email invite?”

Steph shook her head, faking a tsk. “Always a bit behind aren’t we. It’s ah…” she checked her smartwatch—I noticed, a recent thing in the last two months, and always on a face that tracked her movement. Fitness tracking?—“um yeah, tonight. We’re going to the very creatively named Tavern. Probably for a beer called Beer and a bartender named Will Serve.”

“Sounds like a business that ran out of ideas and hadn’t tried anything.”

“Well, seriously I hope there’s a good IPA. There’s got to be a good IPA.” Steph smiled, adjusting her shirt and inadvertently—or, intentionally? Probably not—revealing a touch of cleavage. 

“Anyway, better wrap things up today huh? See you tonight.” Steph walked off, and I could smell a faint whiff of her signature vanilla-ish scent as she brushed by me and out of the break room, down the hall. She looked back for a moment and smiled, catching me looking at her behind—which wasn’t like, wildly big or anything, but I will say there was definitely no longer a thigh gap as of maybe a year ago. It was noticeable. I raised my mug innocently as a cheers, and Steph smiled and inaudibly laughed before turning back. 

This was her last day, and we’d been kind of flirting like that for years. Well, was it flirting? I would say so, if you add it all up—coworkers don’t brush by the colleagues like that. They don’t smile when they catch you checking them out. They don’t reveal a little cleavage in the break room. At least, not to my knowledge. And I couldn’t deny Steph was looking absolutely amazing. I have a weakness for the kind of decadent curves that she was wearing now—if I had to guess, who knows, maybe 190 pounds?—and if there was a move to make tonight, I was determined to make it…

I decided to dress up a little bit before heading out to Tavern (actually, it was called Valley Tavern, as I found out), donning a blazer and switching out into more comfortable jeans. It was going to be a fairly big gathering—Stephanie was popular in the company, affable. And at least in the beginning, I was pretty sure I wasn’t the only one giving double takes whenever she walked by. 

I came a bit early after taking the subway, at about 7:45. It was scheduled for 8, but it was one of those things where it was understood to be 8:30, I guess, because only Valerie was there. Val was 40ish, in senior management, and kept impressively good care of herself for her age and the fact that she had a kid. Still, she wasn’t immune— her arms were what you might call extra healthy, and her jeans could probably have used a sizing up by now. It only reminded me, to be honest, of how Steph was already another level above that, with her entire thirties ahead of her, too.

“Hey, so I guess we’re the cool kids huh,” I said, pulling up a chair a few spots away from Val, who was already nursing a beer. “Whatcha got there?”

“Oh hey! You’re in web dev, right? Nice work on our summer projects—the numbers look solid, engagement is up, as you know... I got the amber. Here to say bye to Steph huh? What a loss for us.”

“Oh I know,” I said, shaking my head. “Can’t believe she’s off to Penguin. Bet I’m going to see her work real soon in the big stores—but you know, the world deserves to see her style, right? Can’t keep it to ourselves.”

Val nodded. “I mean… we’d love to.  If we had known… anyway. It is what it is, and I wish her the best. Which is why I’m here.” I nodded in turn.

Soon enough, more employees came in and the tables filled up pretty fast. I knew them all, over the years—some more than others, and some I hadn’t seen in a while. Most of the women at the company were of a pretty average size, and it was hard to tell any change if at all with the way they dressed for the night—though I noticed Leah, who I hadn’t seen since the spring, was looking noticeably bigger as she settled in her seat—it was possible at this point Steph had leapfrogged them all over the years to become the biggest girl in the company, at least for tonight, which was impressive as she started somewhere in the middle.

Finally Stephanie arrived at about 8:40—everyone cheered; there were beers everywhere already. Lots of hugs. She wore, maybe surprisingly, the same thing she wore at work—loose red shirt, a bit translucent, the same ill-fitting jeans… Finally, she made her way to me, and I embraced her in a huge hug—god, it was amazing. That vanilla scent was intoxicating; she finally released and held me by the shoulders, smiling at me in makeup for a second, and my heart skipped a beat as I felt my hands grazing her waist a little, subtly confirming by touch that she was struggling to fit the dimensions of her jeans with her growing waistline.

“Good to see you here, mister,” Stephanie said as she looked me over; I felt the need to detach from the long embrace, feeling the eyes of my colleagues on us, but I didn’t necessarily want to. We stood and Steph fixed her shirt like she did at work, again revealing just a touch of cleavage in the process. 

“So. What beer do you recommend here? I love a good APA. And hey, reminder… no work stuff tonight. It’s over, haha. Just good times here.”

I nodded sagely. “Well I got the Tallulah and I can tell you it is dee-licious.” I nodded, pointing.

“Okay. I trust you. Don’t let me down, kay?”

“I would never.” I put my hand on my heart. I was nervous, thinking that was a dumb gesture I just did. But also, I reminded myself, who cares. Don’t overthink. You’ve got this…

Stephanie got her beer and proceeded to chat with some girlfriends at work; she didn’t necessarily look out of place, but even with the way she concealed it it was pretty obvious she was the biggest one there—as if someone pointed a remote at the scene and commanded her to add twenty pounds or so (and in reality, probably more). If you just looked at their faces, not so much difference at all. She took a selfie, and at that point I decided it was a little weird to just stare and observe, so I took to a few colleagues myself.

“So you finally going to make a move or what?” I turned to my right and found Matt, grinning.

“I uh…”

“Oh my god man, come on. So painfully obvious. I mean, good on ya to hesitate if she’s your coworker, right? But now she’s out, and available. And…” Matt leaned in, out of respect, “Her boobs, man. Even if it means she’s looking a little heavy lately. Anyway, sorry man, already two beers in. Forget what I said…”

I looked at him and nodded, not wanting to betray my intentions exactly, though it was intriguing to hear at least one guy also noticing the same thing. We chatted about other things—TV, news—and I glanced over to Steph from time to time, watching her laugh, growing even more ** as I made my way up to beer three.

The crowd began to thin a little by 10pm, and Steph came up to me. “Still here, huh? Warning, I am getting hella ** tonight and I’m not ‘xactly hard to tip.” I smiled, unsurely what to say… hell, I was blowing it, I thought.

“I uh… what beer are you on? Got a DD?”

“Aw, you’re way too sweet. Um… four. It’s OK, getting an Uber probably, or the subway… anyways, nice of you to stick around.”

“Yeah, of course. Steph…”

“Yeah?”

“Wanna… get a breather outside for a minute?”

“Mmm… no, so cold, and I’m halfway through my beer… Join me at the bar? Think I need to combat the booze with some fries…”

“Here, I’ll get it.” I went up to the bartender and ordered fries… and after skipping a beat, I added two shots. Why not?

We went up to the bar together with just a few other colleagues strewn about, pretty clearly on their way out. We said bye to them as they left; Matt left raising his eyebrows and giving a thumbs-up while Steph was focused on the bar. I could see as she was sitting, through the translucent red fabric, that all of the beers were having a further impact on her being able to control her figure; I noticed her jeans were tightly buttoned just above her navel, and above that her midriff was almost fighting to escape. She kept tugging down on her shirt even further, which only revealed more cleavage—clearly not problems a year ago, but now coming up.

“Oh my god, shots? Hahaha… you’re the best,” Steph said **, smiling an arresting smile right before downing it, slightly dishevelling her shoulder-length blonde hair. 

“So… now that it’s officially the end of my work tenure and next week I’m at Penguin, I’m on beer four with a shot, and I got my fries, it is time.” She looked at me intently, putting out her hand with her palm up. I instinctively put my palm up to mirror hers; the touch was electric. 

“Time…” I said.

“Time… to….” her face got closer and closer to mine; I smelled her vanilla once again. As she bent over, in my peripheral vision I saw the way her belly folded over her jeans, getting a bit bigger as she lost control of herself and focused on the moment. Remembering her flat stomach in a bikini merely five years ago, it was an incredible sight. Time stopped as my lips met Steph’s; my hands instinctively went to her sides again. She flinched a little in return, but ultimately let it happen. 

“Well that was a long time coming,” Steph finally said as we went back to our bar stools after a solid five seconds (or was it a minute?), as she idly grazed a hand on her cleavage and took another long sip of beer number four. 

Steph looked at me with a bit of a mischievous look in her eye. “Want to go dancing for a bit? Honestly I don’t feel tired at all… can’t believe it’s the end of an era… and the start of something new.”

I was still in a bit of a daze after the kiss, full of beer, but managed to agree. Steph finished her beer, I settled up, and we walked out together to an Uber. I noticed even her jacket was a bit ill-fitting—a puffy coat that stretched on her shoulders in a way it probably wasn’t quite designed to. I left my hand on her thigh as we quietly drove out the place Steph had in mind.

“Incidentally, it’s like… a couple blocks from my place. I like going from time to time. Guess you know my secret now, haha.”

I smiled. “What kind of stuff do they play?”

“Oh you know, like, typical… um, I think it’s 90s night tonight, maybe? Yeah, it’s Friday…”

We finally pulled up. It was dark—and packed. And loud. But I was game. Steph gave our coats to the coat check, and I was thrilled to see what happened next… she pulled her red frilly top off, revealing a tight, black, sleeveless number beneath, that also revealed a swath of smooth, round midriff. She was like an untouched vanilla or butterscotch pudding, smelling as she did… I tried to contain my excitement as Steph walked up to me, beaming.

“Hello,” she simply said before giving me another deep kiss. I noticed as my hands instinctively caressed her sides that there was a thick black material just above and around her hips, escaping her jeans—my thumbs hungrily pressed and plied into the material.

“Like my spanx do you? Haha…” I didn’t know what to say and Steph didn’t seem too concerned about the response, leading me further into the crowd. At this point I wasn’t hiding at all the fact that I was drinking her in—chubby arms, thick tummy, amazing chest, paired with a gorgeous face that almost seemed mismatched to the rest proportionally.  At one point Steph drew me in and we were face to face; she seemed to let even looser with her stomach as she seemed to notice a good half of my attention was going there. Maybe I was imagining it, but she seemed to know, and relished in toying with me a bit, never quit fully acknowledging it… or maybe it was all in my head. But I mean, come on, right?

Coming up to midnight, Steph shouted in my ear, “wanna go to my place?” And of course I nodded. We got our coats; Steph didn’t bother to put the red top back on. We stepped out into the refreshing night air against the heat of the dance floor. 

“So, having a good night?” Steph moved to put her hand in mine as we walked.

“Oh, you know. Not bad. Average I guess.” Steph smiled at my sarcasm.

“I see. How can I make it above average?”

“Haha, well… seriously, I’d love to see what Steph does with her place, decor-wise.”

“No gonna lie, it’s pretty neat actually. Makes sense I guess, you know, illustrator things.”

“Lovely. Just a block from here?”

“Yea. You know, I really am gonna miss our little repartees at lunch. You can’t put a price on that.”

“Mm.” I didn’t have a lot to say to that.

“But now I can kiss you…”

“Mm,” I said, upwardly inflected this time. Steph laughed.

“And you can even touch my butt.”

“Can I now?”

“Yup… although, maybe wait until we get to my place, haha.”

As soon as we entered her apartment, we were practically all over each other. I could only halfway take in her place—as promised, it was super nice with all kinds of colours and accoutrements you might expect someone who did visual art as a living to have. 

Stephanie grabbed her phone for a second. “Set the lights to 10%.” They obediently dimmed, and she took off her shirt, revealing a dark green bra and putting even more attention on her outgrown jeans and the pronounced lip of spanx that covered her hips and stomach above that—once a temporary measure, and now standard, I thought.

I tried to pry down her spanx, but she swatted my hands away. “Mmm… not tonight,” she said **, instead moving her hands under her bra and diverting attention to her chest—which, to be fair, was looking absolutely stunning. Notably, she stilled seemed to be sucking it in and controlling her midriff a little, even totally ** and in the middle of this show with an ex-colleague-turned-lover. 

“Mmmm, you need some relief though, don’t you, after all this excitement tonight,” Stephanie said, running a finger down my chest. Everything felt electric as Stephanie peeled the clothes off me as they were and she began to graze her fingers along my body. 

“Feels nice huh?” she whispered in my ear. At this point she had me wrapped on her finger—well, she always did—but now it was painfully obvious.

“Mmm… should I make coffee?” Stephanie suddenly turned away and started to rummage in the cupboards, leaving me throbbing. She knew exactly what she was doing as she turned around and flashed me a smile. 

“I um… uh… yeah, that sounds good,” I said, still drinking in the sight of her shirtless physique. All the challenges her body was making to her jeans was confirmed; her hips rolled seductively popping out and seemingly very nearly over the belt line, held in only by that rim of black, soft elastomer. 

“You just can’t even handle seeing me without a shirt, can you,” she said, laughing; her  boobs quivered empathetically. 

“I do like seeing exactly what I do to you… I think I might just miss that the most, teasing you during the day.”

So she was doing it intentionally. 

“Anyway… here we are… want to just hang for a bit?” I nodded, still nursing a throbbing member in my pants. I wanted Stephanie so badly, but I knew she was more interested in toying with me… it was a test, of sorts. Or so I told myself.

Steph threw her red shirt back on and we made small talk about the last week of work, tying things up.

“You know, I’m going to miss you, too. All of you,” I said, looking up from her chest to her face, catching myself staring too easily. 

Steph smiled. “Well I’ll be around.”

“When we kissed earlier, was that…” I started.

“… A bit of drunken fun.” Steph smiled again, this time a little unnervingly. I began to realize she wasn’t sure what she wanted exactly. 

“Well I enjoyed it.”

“Haha. I know…” Steph subconsciously tugged her jeans up a bit and pulled down her shirt, leaning over with her stomach with her hands in front. It seemed the coffee was kicking in and she felt a little more self-conscious again. 

About half an hour later, I began to see myself out, sensing things were strongly headed one way for the evening and now going quite another, as it seemed Stephanie had a change of heart, or something happened. The turnaround seemed to be right when I tried to get her to reveal her stomach, but it was hard to tell what exactly triggered it. 

I gave her a hug before leaving. “All the best on the new gig, huh?”

“Mmm, thank you… see you soon, okay?”

“Sounds good. Have a good night.”

“Night!” 

I walked down the hallway feeling like I didn’t blow it, and that was good. There was a chance, still…

We texted from time to time after that, but mostly it seemed after that evening Stephanie had all but ghosted me, oddly. I tried not to think too much of it, as I knew forcing the issue would do absolutely no good at all. 

Until about three weeks later.

Finally, in about late November Steph texted me out of the blue at the end of a work day. 

“Hey. I’m so sorry for being radio silent these past few weeks… wanna call?”

I called her immediately. 

“Hey stranger, haha,” I said, trying to keep it light.

“Hey, miss me yet? …. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to—that night got way out of hand and I ended up realizing I don’t know what I want. How are you?”

“Good! Good… they ended up hiring outside for your job apparently; she starts next week. Unfortunately now it’ll really hit home, haha. How are things at the new gig?”

“Good! Yeah, just… way more corporate, as expected, but it hits different from you’re actually there, you know? They have pretty great doughnuts on Fridays though, haha.”

“I bet. Did you um… want to still keep in touch? Um…” I didn’t know how to approach it without scaring her off.

“Um, yeah. I’d love to hang sometimes. As friends.”

“Of course!” I said, a little too loudly. “So anyway…” We continued on about the latest TV and news, and I was happy to be honest to have been able to keep Steph in my orbit, at least. 

“So I joined I gym,” Steph eventually brought up. This for some reason made my ears burn a little. The subject of her weight was possibly coming up.

“Yeah…” she continued, “I just, you know, I used to walk to work but now I’m having to drive, and I guess Starbucks doesn’t have zero consequences for me anymore, haha. And I want to fit in my bridesmaid dress for wedding season next year, hahaha.”

“Good goals,” I said, unsure what else to say.

“Don’t worry, I’ll still have curves, haha,” Steph said, seemingly unable to stop flirting despite also wanted to put up the friend zone. She was hard to read at times, to say the least.

“Yeah, I’m trying to find balance as well. Guess we’re considering the new years resolutions a bit early, huh?”

“Mm. Well take care of yourself, alright? And text me sometime. It does get boring here sometimes, to be honest. You know how it is.”

“Oh yeah. Take care, Steph; miss you.”

“Miss you too.”

We continued to text on and off for the next three weeks; I never wanted to push for a meeting or hangout, deciding to let Steph be the one to decide. It was getting close to the holiday parties in mid-late December, and about two months after I had last seen her.  I wondered how her new workout routine was going.

Finally, on a Saturday she texted me, “Hey… kinda random (or not really), but want to be my plus one at the holiday party next Friday? You know, schmooze with the big boys in publishing, haha, I know you don’t care about that, but it’d make me feel a bit less awk for sure.”

“Yeah, sounds good!” I waited five minutes for responding to try to keep my cool. Again, I hadn’t seen her for two months since the big tease she gave me…

The week went agonizingly slowly, but at least I got to meet Stephanie’s replacement in the art department—Kaitlin was similarly nice, and if I had to be honest, similarly beautiful, albeit more conventional weight-wise (not that it matters), and a brunette. She mostly kept to herself for the first couple of weeks, which was fair—there was a lot to do and learn, plus a couple of weeks to catch up on since the hiring process didn’t go as smoothly as anticipated. 

Finally the Friday came, and I got another text—“hey, wanna help me get ready? Be nice to actually chat in person a bit before going in.”

“See you at 6?”

“Mm, 5? I need a solid couple of hours haha, plus time to hang.”

“See you soon.”

I rang Steph’s buzzer and went up feeling a weird sense of anticipation. Steph opened the door; her vanilla scent was stronger than ever—but what hit me even more was the sight in front of me.

Despite apparently joining a gym and and talking about her concerns, Steph had on the same getup as two months ago—jeans, spanx, tighter top and a loose red translucent one on top of that—and let’s just say, there was no hiding the cleavage at this point. Whereas before it was sort of up to which way Steph tugged and adjusted her shirt, now—in what I estimated must have been fifteen pounds later—not only was there a tantalizing crest of softness up top, but her arms looked eminently squeezable too. And her stomach and hips… if before it was manageable, now it was obvious that her jeans were way too small. Like, think twice before going out in public in that small. 

She walked up to me. “Coffee’s made. I’m going to get to the point. As you can see, the gym didn’t really work out…” She turned and went to the couch; sitting, I could see even more cleavage and I noticed her stomach bunched up in a new way that she’d need more opaque, looser clothing to effectively hide. I was getting harder by the second. 

“But I suspect that doesn’t necessarily bother you, does it? I was thinking about that night…” I stood there, feeling nervous.

“Be straight with me. You like bigger girls. I don’t even have to ask… but what would it do to our friendship if we got together? Or what ever is this, what do you want it to be?”

I hesitated.

“Exactly… So I’m not going anywhere, but I want us to take this slow. This would be so much easier if I didn’t love a good tease… Anyway, I wanted to see what you thought of this dress. Hold on.” 

Stephanie walked out to her bedroom and closed the door, leaving me to process what the hell just happened.

• 10 months later...

It was an incredibly long few minutes as I sat in her apartment, wondering just what I had gotten myself into and what Steph had in store for me. It was now clear as day that not only was she aware of my noticing her curves over the years in her previous job, she was into it. And the job change, for whatever reason, accelerated the whole process. Maybe fifteen pounds would be a bit of an exaggeration, but she definitely looked different in the same outfit and was without a shadow of a doubt the heaviest she had ever been. 

“Okay, ready?” I head Stephanie from the bedroom. 

“As I’ll ever be,” I responded meekly, trying not to get overly excited. 

The door opened. Out came a vision from heaven, immaculately put together and clearly custom designed for the evening we were about to have out with industry people and colleagues. Steph’s red dress went down just past her knees and clung a bit to her hips, but it was clearly a new acquisition. A touch of cleavage was accentuated with a silver necklace; a jean jacket kept her arms under wraps. It was extremely apparent, having just seen her truer shape just a moment ago, that Steph was putting on Spanx—maybe doubling it up, even. By way of some miracle, she appeared to take off some twenty pounds or more, actually looking even more out together than when she left the previous job, somehow. 

At the same time, there were some clear signs she was struggling, bursting at the seams—the way the area between the top of her Spanx and towards the beginning of her bra continued its trend of bulging out conspicuously, cluing in the attentive viewer that Steph was practically pouring herself into her borderline-plus size outfits these days.

“You look amazing, Steph. I mean, you know that.”

“Why thank you. I guess I’ve learned how to keep it all together, I suppose. Haha.” She walked up to me and a faint perfume ** me as I observed the way her blonde, shoulder length locks swirled to the rhythm of her voice. 

“It’s a tough industry and it’ll be nice to have a familiar face nearby. Thanks for coming out.”

“They know I’m from your old job, yeah?” I suggested.

“Not necessarily. Don’t overthink it. You do want to come, right?”

“I mean, yeah, of course.”

“Mhm. Well we still have about half an hour to kill…. Just go to a coffee shop I guess? Or hang here, and stare at my boobs without worry of being caught?”

“Hahaha. Steph, come on, we’ve been friends for years…”

“…. So that gets you a free pass?” She smirked, teasing me, knowing full well what she was doing.

“Hey…” Steph continued, moving to sit on the couch again. Her dress really strained and her stomach bunched up a bit as she did, and she tried to twist herself a little to minimize the damage. “So I just want to know. Remember in grad school when I twisted my ankle, and I had to go on crutches for like six weeks?”

“Um yeah… still sorry that happened.”

“… And I put on like ten pounds?”

“Umm.”

“Yeah, I know you noticed. Hahaha. Of course I recovered since then, but in the years since then it’s been kind of a long, slow descent…”

“I uh… Steph, you do look good.”

“To you.”

“I mean, sure. I’m not going to lie.”

“You’re cute. These past couple of months in particular have been crazy.”

“I um… I can see that.”

“You know, new job, new people… a lot of stressors. An opportunity to change up the wardrobe and finally ditch those jeans you saw me in every Friday. That was getting untenable towards the end.” Steph got closer, clearing enjoying watching me squirm as she leaned in on the details of her recent, obvious weight gain. 

As she sat, Steph’s dress went up past her knees; from the spread of her thighs, I estimated she was sitting around a size fourteen at least. Definite plus size territory. I looked down and surveyed the way her dress gripped every curve, past her amazing chest, imagining the arms that filled out her jacket completely, and finally up to her completely misleading, thin face.

“Truthfully,” she continued, “I feel super conflicted about it… but I guess I like being bad often enough that here we are, huh?”

“I… Steph, you know I like you, and your body’s your choice.”

Steph raised her eyebrows. “Okay, I’m impressed. Okay, hot.” 

I laughed a little, caressing her arm through the sleeve. “Look, I think this could be really fun and I don’t want to ruin the great friendship we have either.”

“Yeah, no, same. But now I’m going to be thinking about ways to tease you even more than usual. Is that okay?”

“I mean… it sounds like I don’t have too much say here.”

“Mmm. Well let’s go, shall we?”

4 hours ago, chrissy said:

It was an incredibly long few minutes as I sat in her apartment, wondering just what I had gotten myself into and what Steph had in store for me. It was now clear as day that not only was she aware of my noticing her curves over the years in her previous job, she was into it. And the job change, for whatever reason, accelerated the whole process. Maybe fifteen pounds would be a bit of an exaggeration, but she definitely looked different in the same outfit and was without a shadow of a doubt the heaviest she had ever been. 

“Okay, ready?” I head Stephanie from the bedroom. 

“As I’ll ever be,” I responded meekly, trying not to get overly excited. 

The door opened. Out came a vision from heaven, immaculately put together and clearly custom designed for the evening we were about to have out with industry people and colleagues. Steph’s red dress went down just past her knees and clung a bit to her hips, but it was clearly a new acquisition. A touch of cleavage was accentuated with a silver necklace; a jean jacket kept her arms under wraps. It was extremely apparent, having just seen her truer shape just a moment ago, that Steph was putting on Spanx—maybe doubling it up, even. By way of some miracle, she appeared to take off some twenty pounds or more, actually looking even more out together than when she left the previous job, somehow. 

At the same time, there were some clear signs she was struggling, bursting at the seams—the way the area between the top of her Spanx and towards the beginning of her bra continued its trend of bulging out conspicuously, cluing in the attentive viewer that Steph was practically pouring herself into her borderline-plus size outfits these days.

“You look amazing, Steph. I mean, you know that.”

“Why thank you. I guess I’ve learned how to keep it all together, I suppose. Haha.” She walked up to me and a faint perfume ** me as I observed the way her blonde, shoulder length locks swirled to the rhythm of her voice. 

“It’s a tough industry and it’ll be nice to have a familiar face nearby. Thanks for coming out.”

“They know I’m from your old job, yeah?” I suggested.

“Not necessarily. Don’t overthink it. You do want to come, right?”

“I mean, yeah, of course.”

“Mhm. Well we still have about half an hour to kill…. Just go to a coffee shop I guess? Or hang here, and stare at my boobs without worry of being caught?”

“Hahaha. Steph, come on, we’ve been friends for years…”

“…. So that gets you a free pass?” She smirked, teasing me, knowing full well what she was doing.

“Hey…” Steph continued, moving to sit on the couch again. Her dress really strained and her stomach bunched up a bit as she did, and she tried to twist herself a little to minimize the damage. “So I just want to know. Remember in grad school when I twisted my ankle, and I had to go on crutches for like six weeks?”

“Um yeah… still sorry that happened.”

“… And I put on like ten pounds?”

“Umm.”

“Yeah, I know you noticed. Hahaha. Of course I recovered since then, but in the years since then it’s been kind of a long, slow descent…”

“I uh… Steph, you do look good.”

“To you.”

“I mean, sure. I’m not going to lie.”

“You’re cute. These past couple of months in particular have been crazy.”

“I um… I can see that.”

“You know, new job, new people… a lot of stressors. An opportunity to change up the wardrobe and finally ditch those jeans you saw me in every Friday. That was getting untenable towards the end.” Steph got closer, clearing enjoying watching me squirm as she leaned in on the details of her recent, obvious weight gain. 

As she sat, Steph’s dress went up past her knees; from the spread of her thighs, I estimated she was sitting around a size fourteen at least. Definite plus size territory. I looked down and surveyed the way her dress gripped every curve, past her amazing chest, imagining the arms that filled out her jacket completely, and finally up to her completely misleading, thin face.

“Truthfully,” she continued, “I feel super conflicted about it… but I guess I like being bad often enough that here we are, huh?”

“I… Steph, you know I like you, and your body’s your choice.”

Steph raised her eyebrows. “Okay, I’m impressed. Okay, hot.” 

I laughed a little, caressing her arm through the sleeve. “Look, I think this could be really fun and I don’t want to ruin the great friendship we have either.”

“Yeah, no, same. But now I’m going to be thinking about ways to tease you even more than usual. Is that okay?”

“I mean… it sounds like I don’t have too much say here.”

“Mmm. Well let’s go, shall we?”

Yay! Finally! Haha keep it going!

• 5 months later...

“… So the question, Stephanie, is how do we create that perennial bestseller, you know? Not that I expect you to just tell me here, but just something to think about,” who appeared to be Stephanie’s boss (or the CEO? I wasn’t sure), Michael, offered. He looked to be in his forties or thereabouts, and probably spent his whole career in the upper ranks of the organization. That was how it was sometimes with these family companies. 

Steph swirled the beer in her glass. “Yeah no, I hear you. It’s tricky because you don’t want to chase the puck, you want to go where it’s going, you know? Yet at the same time bestsellers are bestsellers because they’re bestsellers. So it’s kind of a chicken and egg thing I guess. You know what I think… I think, this could be the alcohol talking, but we could do to take more risk. Just saying, I don’t know. Let’s see how I feel tomorrow, haha.”

Michael nodded. He clearly respected what Stephanie had to say, even it was a bit demurring. “Hmm, yeah. Let’s sleep on it. Well it’s great to have you on board, again. It’s only been a few months but it feels like longer!”

“Haha, well thank you. Cheers to that.” 

Steph turned to me, her blonde locks swirling around her well defined face in turn. She smiled. “Holding up? I know it’s a lot of names and stuff. Sorry that you have to tell people you’re in telecom; it would be slightly awk to have someone from the competitor at the holiday party, to say the least. Maybe even not allowed, not sure. Anyway.”

“Yeah no, just happy to be here,” I said, trying not to spend all my time taking in Stephanie’s incredible form. The relationship dynamic had changed, whether we wanted it to or not—the friendship was there, but no longer colleagues, and we both knew I was mainly there for one thing and one thing only—to be utterly teased, which for better or worse only emboldened Stephanie to go even further down the garden path. I noticed throughout the evening she drank a lot more than I remembered from even a couple of months ago—if I had it right, she was on her fourth, held in somehow by her doubled Spanx and leggings underneath her dress. I also noticed Stephanie was getting more looks in general from the men in the room—maybe because I was looking for it myself—but probably because the cleavage she has on display was borderline indecent for a corporate event. And yet, there I was, generally enjoying myself for being at a relevant spot for my career, but mostly, let’s be honest, for Steph. 

“Well… you’ve been on your best behaviour all night. Thank you for accompanying me like a gentleman,” Steph turned and said to me as we inched closer to 10pm. “Will you get an Uber for us to share back?”

“Um yeah, for sure…” I put in both addresses, hers and mine. I didn’t want to assume anything, as much as I wanted to.

As we got in the car, Steph simply smiled as I glanced over at her form. Her rear really filled the seat; you could tell the Spanx was almost cinching her to the limit. Yet she smiled. She knew. You could tell she was used to it… almost relishing it. 

Too soon, we reached Steph’s place. I watched as she got out and got the best view of her bottom I’d seen… possibly ever. 

“Well don’t be a stranger, huh? I’ll let you know if I need a date for another event, haha. It was super fun hanging with you again.” Steph smiled, knowing exactly what she was doing.

“Um… yeah, any time. Likewise!” I weakly offered, feeling absolutely smitten.

While we would text from time to time after that, that was it with Stephanie for a while. She kept a low profile on social media, too—if she posted, it was other people, street photos, maybe a croissant—that kind of thing. And once in a while, a selfie, where she looked much the same—but I knew that was not necessarily the case just underneath. 

Finally, in May, I got a text that was quite different in tone than the usual industry and media habits texts we’d been volleying back and forth.

“I have to say, I am so extremely impressed with how so, so patient you’ve been and the self control you’ve exerted,” Steph texted. “Like truly, I’m in awe. And I’ll be honest, I’ve been on a few first dates over the past five months, but I never quite stopped thinking about our ‘date’ in December. Or you. So… maybe this is crazy, but do you just want to like, have a date? See how it goes? I don’t want to ruin our friendship but I’m just too curious haha.”

Before I could respond, an addendum:

“… and yes, I know you’re wondering, I’ve gotten bigger 😇

• 4 weeks later...

“Not necessarily complaining over here,” I finally managed, knowing full well that Steph knew exactly what she was doing, making me flustered and unsure of exactly what to say. I’d actually been on a number of first dates myself, and I tried to get image of her out of my system—but I simply couldn’t. And to find out she felt similarly…

“Sooo not to rush, but it is Friday… Did you have plans?” Steph texted back.

“I suppose I do now, haha. Where to?”

“Honestly just thinking of drinks at like, 10pm somewhere? Just catch up properly, it has been a while :) there’s this place called Pocket Bar I went to a few weeks ago that was actually pretty cute”

“See you soon!”

“:)”

Not wanting to somehow change her mind or mess something up, I kept it short and tried—and somewhat, kind of, succeeded—to focus on work for the rest of the afternoon.

“Well you seem happy,” my colleague Kaitlin said as I made my way past her part of the office. Kaitlin was now a good 6-8 months in to her new role and, as far as I could tell, thriving. She was still looking on the thin side, but I could swear maybe ten pounds had stuck to her frame, maybe as a result of the new stresses of the job—not that it mattered. She was every bit as stunning as Steph though, just brunette instead of blonde, and had the good humour to match.

“Yeah… yeah, catching up with a friend tonight,” I said.

“Just a friend huh?” Kaitlin said, swivelling in her chair and smiling incredulously.

“I uh—yeah, well, kind of a date,” I admitted.

“Well have fun out there for me, good luck. I think I’m just gonna catch up on a couple of work things and rewatch The Bear as I’m a little boring, but I’m okay with it.”

“Not a bad plan actually.”

“Mhm. Well see you Monday and don’t go too hard tonight, haha.”

I nodded and headed out, deciding to walk home and make the most of my evening by catching up on a couple of work things myself.

Around 8pm I got another text.

“Two hours. You excited?” Steph texted.

I was at a coffee shop. I decided to look up her Instagram—nothing but high angle selfies dating up to last November, and then nothing for the past five months that included her. I wouldn’t know what she looked like now even if I wanted to. Not that it was any of my business. But I’d seen such behaviour before…

“Honestly? Just really happy to see you again and catch up,” I texted. It was true. Even if there was a strong and ever building undercurrent of teasing and attraction, it was still true that I loved her personality, which only made things more exciting.

“Well, cya soon :)”

Finally I arrived at Pocket Bar—a little early, 9:45pm; I wanted to make sure we got a table so we could face each other—it was cute, as promised, with imaginative decor everywhere. I tried not to go on my phone in the dim light and not let my heightened emotions betray me, but in honestly after five months I was almost moving with anticipation, after having given up on the idea of seeing Steph again—at least in this way.

Finally, I saw Steph’s familiar neck-length blonde hair pass through the entrance. I got up and walked to the front to meet her—she must have been giving a huge smile seeing my reaction, a mix of excitement and maybe mild humiliation, because Jesus Christ.

I immediately saw why Steph seemed to want to drop off the edge of the world on social media for a while, if the goal was, as it was up to this point, at least trying to keep up appearances. And granted, she did it miraculously well right up to last December. But now that bubble, so to speak, had burst.

The first thing I noticed was that under her blazer, she’d opted for the same loose, translucent top she’d work since we were colleagues last October—but now, it wasn’t even loose. It gripped every corner of the tight black shirt she had on underneath; her chest must have been an F cup at this point; there was a distinct bulge at her midriff that could no longer be tamed, and her jeans—graduating another size—held in quite a bit, sitting at or just above her navel, in what looked like an elaborate arrangement of five buttons, in stretchy denim meant to accommodate her apparently persistent and perhaps even growing habits. I did my best not to stare, but I’m sure I failed at least a bit. The most amazing part was that her face hadn’t changed at all—on zoom calls, I bet she got away with it just fine. But her body now told an inarguably different story. Stephanie had crossed the line.

“Oh my god, hi, so nice to see you!” She went in for a hug, and I could immediately feel her softness and largeness compared to just five months ago. She looked at me mischievously, already being able to tell she was having the intended effect on me. “So? I see you got us a table, thank you.” It was at that point I notice the weight had even begun to impact her voice—there’s an undercurrent of honey that plus sized woman have when they speak, and it had now made its way to Steph.

I watched her walk over to the table, and I had a flashback to the Uber we shared in December—there was now a perceptible jiggle in every step Steph took. Sitting down, the sliver of cleavage that now appears due to her red top’s newfound tightness made itself known. I joined her.

“So what are we feeling?” Steph said across from me. I drank her in, a vision of heaven, the same Steph I knew from days as colleagues, now completely given in to her worst habits and impulses… a full blown BBW, and as she would probably say, she didn’t exactly hate it…

She smiled, staring me down a little.

Finally she added, before I could collect myself—

“in toxicated and you haven’t even had one drink.”