Dungeons and Dragons

Madilyn Mars

• Curvage Model

I started playing D&D when I was 25. That was when I started hanging out with people who enjoyed fantasy as much as I did. While I haven't played for the majority of my life (as many others' have) I really really really love to play! I've had a few different parties of people to play with, and each one has either been 'herding distracted cats' or 'by the book, OG, no room for fun, only tactics' folks. Unfortunately I stepped away from my last party for the latter. I miss playing! I guess I just want to connect with other D&D'ers and hear some stories about your campaigns! This extends to World of Darkness, Pathfinder, etc players as well!

I usually go for an elf-race character...I don't know what it is about them. I like being Rangers, Druids and other nature/magic/animal associated classes.

I'd love to know about your games, favorite characters and more! Let's chat about Dungeons and Dragons, and it doesn't have to be fat focused campaigns!

Edited by Madilyn Mars

Hey! Thank you so much for starting this topic!

So I actually didn’t get into D&D until last year, after I randomly saw some Critical Role gifs that made me chuckle and then I looked up the hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of content that is CR and discovered that I liked it. 

I’m in my first campaign now with some people from my work, and I play a variant human (partially elven, but not quite a half elf) rogue because this is my first character and magic is confusing but daggers are easy 😅. Our party is definitely in the “herding cats” category lol. 

I also listen to the podcast Dames and Dragons, because CR is a massive and daunting time commitment, but Dames episodes are shorter, so it’s easier to keep up with them. 

• Curvage Model

Awesome! I don't have the patience for "play with me"s, even tabletop. I wanna be in the action! haha

I used to be mostly hack and slash, but magic makes it fun, and I'm comfortable with 3.5 and 5th edition versions, so I have to mix it up to play in order to challenge myself. Yay for elves! Rogues are fun to play too!

Edited by Madilyn Mars

• Curvage Model
13 minutes ago, hamazon said:

Hey! Thank you so much for starting this topic!

So I actually didn’t get into D&D until last year, after I randomly saw some Critical Role gifs that made me chuckle and then I looked up the hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of content that is CR and discovered that I liked it. 

I’m in my first campaign now with some people from my work, and I play a variant human (partially elven, but not quite a half elf) rogue because this is my first character and magic is confusing but daggers are easy 😅. Our party is definitely in the “herding cats” category lol. 

I also listen to the podcast Dames and Dragons, because CR is a massive and daunting time commitment, but Dames episodes are shorter, so it’s easier to keep up with them. 

Awesome! I don't have the patience for "play with me"s, even tabletop. I wanna be in the action! haha

I used to be mostly hack and slash, but magic makes it fun, and I'm comfortable with 3.5 and 5th edition versions so I had to challenge myself with magic. Yay for elves! Rogues are fun to play too!

Edited by Madilyn Mars

• Curvage Model

So I played in high school but recently picked it up again. My dm is a feeder I met through another site, but we have a blast. I usually play a elf rogue but have been killed off so at the moment I have a halfling rogue/sorcerer. I have NEVER played a magic user before so it's new but I'm loving my new character so far. I just really love fantasy in games and going on adventures/ questing 

• Curvage Model
5 hours ago, rachhole said:

So I played in high school but recently picked it up again. My dm is a feeder I met through another site, but we have a blast. I usually play a elf rogue but have been killed off so at the moment I have a halfling rogue/sorcerer. I have NEVER played a magic user before so it's new but I'm loving my new character so far. I just really love fantasy in games and going on adventures/ questing 

Imagine doing a model campaign!

Feeder nerds are the best.

9 hours ago, rachhole said:

I’ve also not played a magic user, and I was thinking of multiclassing with a wizard or something. Do you find that the rogue/magic thing works well? Was it easy to pick up/build? 

• Curvage Model
12 hours ago, hamazon said:

I’ve also not played a magic user, and I was thinking of multiclassing with a wizard or something. Do you find that the rogue/magic thing works well? Was it easy to pick up/build? 

Well I'm enjoying it so far with my puny level one spells but I'm gonna build toward am arcane trickster which will be bad ass. I have to have 6 level sorcerer to a level 3 rogue to have it.  But to answer your question yes. I'm small qnd do my sneaky shit but I also have magic and a familiar to back me up 🥰

5 hours ago, rachhole said:

Well I'm enjoying it so far with my puny level one spells but I'm gonna build toward am arcane trickster which will be bad ass. I have to have 6 level sorcerer to a level 3 rogue to have it.  But to answer your question yes. I'm small qnd do my sneaky shit but I also have magic and a familiar to back me up 🥰

Oooh that sounds nice. I’d love to have some magic to back myself up. What’s your familiar? 

Been into d&d since my late teens. I’ve played a trickster cleric recently which was cool, played out as a little bit punchy, little bit sneaky and a side order of support, although we did have to deal with a murderhobo in the group which partly led to that game going on hold. I also really want to play a straight martial class next having seen the visualised way Liam O’Brien (of CR and voice artist fame) rp’s what basically is tanking and hack and slash.

Actually just about to run a new game and I’m already half expecting one of the party to play a horse having shown them the list of new/updated races in the Monsters of the Multiverse book 😬

On 6/5/2022 at 5:47 AM, hamazon said:

If you’re interested in watching CR there’s a few things that might help a bit in covering the huge amount of content and time commitment, if you haven’t done any of these before.

Probs the best tip if you want to watch it all is to play the streams at around 1.25x to 1.5x speed, doesn’t really affect the show but across C1 & C2 it’ll probs save over a hundred hours of play time at this point and there’s got to be closing in on a thousand hours or something ridiculous.

You could also check out Legend of Vox Machina S1 on Amazon Prime if you’ve got it, which basically gives you a really good animated and abridged version of C1’s first story arc, plus a bit of the start of the campaign before it went live online. That could probably shave off a good 30 or so episodes of the streams, which would be around hundred odd hours of live play, without losing too much of the good stuff.

As for C2, I think on their YouTube they have most (if not all by now) of an animated recap series for that campaign. Each one usually covers a few episodes in a few minutes, so you could get the general plot lines for the whole thing in like a couple of hours and then look into the arcs/episodes you like the sound of!

27 minutes ago, Expanditor said:

If you’re interested in watching CR there’s a few things that might help a bit in covering the huge amount of content and time commitment, if you haven’t done any of these before.

Probs the best tip if you want to watch it all is to play the streams at around 1.25x to 1.5x speed, doesn’t really affect the show but across C1 & C2 it’ll probs save over a hundred hours of play time at this point and there’s got to be closing in on a thousand hours or something ridiculous.

You could also check out Legend of Vox Machina S1 on Amazon Prime if you’ve got it, which basically gives you a really good animated and abridged version of C1’s first story arc, plus a bit of the start of the campaign before it went live online. That could probably shave off a good 30 or so episodes of the streams, which would be around hundred odd hours of live play, without losing too much of the good stuff.

As for C2, I think on their YouTube they have most (if not all by now) of an animated recap series for that campaign. Each one usually covers a few episodes in a few minutes, so you could get the general plot lines for the whole thing in like a couple of hours and then look into the arcs/episodes you like the sound of!

Thanks! I’ll have to do that!

• 3 weeks later...

What a good topic! I used to play a lot of 3.0 and 3.5, and occasional 2E, but haven't played DnD for a long time now... More recently I've played Call of Cthulhu and Traveller. Currently, I'm only in the WG RPG that you may or may not have seen in the Stories forum... 

My last, and perhaps best ever DnD character was a human cleric in a long campaign through most of the World's Largest Dungeon (a big boxed set). We played with original 3.0 rules, and it turned out I was the only person who could keep a spellcaster alive (and be bothered to track spells), so I was prevailed upon to go the (highly sub-optimal) Cleric-Wizard-Mystic Theurge route... Happily I was able to remember enough of the spell exploits, so we just about survived the campaign, though one or two generous adjudications were involved. Anyway, I'd designed my cleric to a pompous academic type - partly because, absent a wizard, it was essential to have certain cleric domains, which included Knowledge...

Therefore I created "Maximus Cuisinius, devoted Cleric of Gortvor, the God of Feasting, Formal Dining, and Knowledge." He had a familiar named Fattus Rattus, who enjoyed sampling potions - casting Identify on any consumable would involve Fattus Rattus tasting some of the item, to discern what it was. For extra laughs, the World's Largest Dungeon lasts for months of game time, and kind of assumes you will be using "Create Food and Water", but we ruled that the spell was heretical to the God of Feasting and Knowledge, because the food was sinfully bland. Instead, we had to be constantly on the lookout to use Cuisinius' mandatory religious skill - Profession (gourmet chef) - to turn the various monsters we defeated into delicious meals! Alas, I may have lost the character sheet that said what we ate. I know Hellhound grillsteaks were one, and I think there was Dragon sausage, and eventually we found and underground sea full of tasty fish.

• Curvage Model

I love d&d!

I'm currently playing a 5e campaign with some other fun kinky folk, dm'd by @tryathingortwo ! My current character is an outlawed Fey, she's 2 feet tall and almost 50 pounds 🥴 her name is Nectar and she's a Circle of the Shephard Druid! I find I almost always play casters, in d&d and other games.

I've had some bad d&d experiences too though, with people who take themselves too seriously or sap fun... but I find if you play with the right people it's lots of fun!

I'm so into the idea of a feedism campaign though... but thats because i want a feedism version of everything!

22 hours ago, FeedistDani said:

I'm so into the idea of a feedism campaign though... but thats because i want a feedism version of everything!

Well, you could have a look at D&D Style WG Story - Page 14 - Your Stories - CurvageWG-RPG-story season 2: Rolling in the deep - Your Stories - Curvage, or Weight Gain Roleplay rules - Your Stories - Curvage 

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered if there was a topic like this out there after I was remembering a curvage character I never got to play but totally would have in the right group. Figure I’ll write it down before I forget about him again. He would be a warlock half-elf fusion chef (he wanted to cook fey/material plane fusion cuisine) who got mixed up with 3 hags while visiting the fey side of his family and was about to sign a pact with them in a shadowy bar to learn the secrets of feywild cooking (and the eldrich powers that go with it :)when a fey woman (basically a Seelie Court version of a goddess of revelry and partying) ** showed up and said she’d give him that knowledge for free because it’d be funny to piss the hags off. He says he needs to repay her and she just waves it away and says he can cook her a good meal and make her a great drink and then she goes back to partying with some dryads and pixies.

The twist was sorta a sleeping beauty thing where since the hags had missed out on the deal with him they actually put curses on her. One that any non-fey food would only make her hungrier. One that any non-fey drink would only make her thirstier. And one that she would experience the effects of it all when not in the Feywild. He makes her a meal with some ingredients from both realms and a drink of half beer and half fey ambrosia. She downs them both and says she is already thinking of having the meal again. You can imagine where it goes. 

I imagined a scenario where she might send fey creatures with requests for meals and foods from the material plane from wherever the party was adventuring because she couldn’t get enough once she tried them. In the Feywild she’d be a svelte elf who just couldn’t get enough of this food and drink, but if she was really impatient or he didn’t respond to requests fast enough she might come to the material plane to get it in person or to threaten to take away his powers and each time she did the effects of her increasing appetite for food from this plane would be evident. His powers would grow along with her waistline ;)

Maybe someday I’ll get to play him or if someone has an FA group and likes the idea, take it. The world needs more fat elves.

• 1 month later...

I see I've been trying to get into campaign RPG so I bought the trails of cold steel 1 & 4 on steam sale because I was thinking of Blazblue which is probably harder guess what I beat 4 the worst thing is I had a fluke on the final boss you first have to get him half hp then drain him out of hp just to have to beat him a 3rd time with less assistance I have half my team selection since then he is now powerful for the secret ending word of advice, I did this on either easy mode or very easy there is normal hard & brutal like mode but you know what is the most fun is any games full of stealth just try playing Dark Souls it is enjoyable when you fail its why I uninstalled fable 1 they have a mission if your caught they shut your path you have to wait for a bar to fill out of range to reset. :)