Curious to see how people think…lol

TheBigAssSSBBW

• Curvage Model
Just now, Martyndoc said:

See I’ve always said “bring it forward” and “push it back” so with that language the former means earlier in time and vice versa for the latter.

This is so interesting!! Lol in my head, bringing something forward would move it ahead. Like “come forward” you walk facing the front, not backwards. 😂😂🤯🤯

Guest Footballer95
52 minutes ago, TheBigAssSSBBW said:

If I say we have a meeting at midday and then I say can we move it forward two hours, what time is that? 

Let me know what you guys think the answer is lol 🧐

I think it as moving forward saying that they would like it to be earlier but I can also see it from both angles 

1 hour ago, Martyndoc said:

See I’ve always said “bring it forward” and “push it back” so with that language the former means earlier in time and vice versa for the latter.

Same - so if original meeting is at 12pm, move it forward 2 hours means move it forward to 10am and move it back 2 hours means move it back to 2pm.

Now that I analyze that more closely I could see where confusion may come in.  Oddly enough I've never thought of it any other way.

I've probably heard both, but I don't think I've ever heard a confusion so long as someone uses the right relative verb. 

If someone said (in reference to a noon meeting), "Let's bring it forward," I would interpret they wanted to hold the meeting sooner than it was scheduled as it is being brought closer to the present. 

If someone otherwise said, "Let's push it forward," I would interpret that they wanted to hold the meeting later than it was scheduled as it is being pushed further from the present.

Though, in the latter case, the use of the word "forward" is odd and doesn't quite fit.

9 hours ago, TheBigAssSSBBW said:

If I say we have a meeting at midday and then I say can we move it forward two hours, what time is that? 

“move it forward” = 2 p.m.

”push it back” = 2 p.m. also hahaha

“move it up” is 10 a.m. tho

11 hours ago, TheBigAssSSBBW said:

It would be 10 imo, forward to me has always been reversed, I’ll always say “ I’m busy rn let’s push it back till later” it’s kinda subjective so 🤷‍♂️ 

I guess the best way to explain it maybe to say if you “push it back” you “push it away”. If you want to “move it forward” you “bring it closer” so 10 am is closer than noon and 2 pm is farther than noon. Another analogy, directing someone to move a couch. You would say to push it back if you want it farther away and move it forward if you want it closer or moved up. 

On 5/23/2022 at 5:39 AM, TheBigAssSSBBW said:

On 5/23/2022 at 5:55 AM, TheBigAssSSBBW said:

That’s wild hahaha I see it as 2pm!! in my head- 12pm is mid day and moving it forward would be 2pm.

🧐Let me know what you guys think the answer is lol

What? It's 10am!

When we are referring to the future "forward" means earlier, closer to the present.

When we are referring to the past, forward will be later in the time-line, closer to the present. 

So "forward" means decreasing a time differential, converging an event towards the present. Whereas, "back" would be increasing the time differential, diverging the event from the present.