Good Things Come to Those Who Wait

chrissy

Somewhere towards the tail end (well, was it the tail end? But anyway) of the pandemic, I took up a job tending bar. I figured a bit of simple and easy—punctuated with some busyness—would be a good antidote as my work was a bit slow to get out of the work from home policy, and I mean, I actually wanted to get out more. 

I mostly saw new folks and new regulars in the neighbourhood (Queens, if you were wondering), but once in a while an old friend might pop in. One Sunday, it ended up being just myself and Mark as I perused my Instagram between sips of an end-of-shift IPA.

“So you seeing anyone?” Mark asked.

“Not really. I mean, still pretty hard to these days. People gauging their own risk and all, right?”

“True, true. Hey, you remember Amber from college?”

“Um, yeah. That was what, eight years ago now? What, did she get married?”

“No, no. I just remember you had a thing for her. Well I saw her the other day. Here.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah. Wednesday. Anyway, I dunno.”

After a bit more conversation I couldn’t help but admit to myself that I was curious. I looked her up on Instagram. She seemed about the same, more or less… maybe a bit bigger. It was hard to tell with the looser clothes and higher angles. Or maybe, at least in my experience, that was a pretty big tell. 

“She usually in on Wednesdays?”

“Haha, I dunno man. What, you thinking of going in?”

“I mean, that’s why you’re telling me, yeah?”

“Sure. Good luck my friend.”

--

And so , against my better judgement, I decided to go in myself next Wednesday out of curiosity. It was a little weird entering the bar not as the person behind it, but in front; I hoped Charlie wouldn’t acknowledge me as staff. Sure enough he didn’t—or didn’t notice me (even better).

I hadn’t seen Amber in eight years. Would she recognize me? Would she find it weird that I was suddenly there? No. Play it cool—it’s all a chance encounter. I composed myself and perused my phone, sipping cooly at my beer. 

Every time the door opened I instinctively inspected whoever walked in. Nope. Nope. Nothing. An hour passed. 9pm. Still nothing.

Just as I was finishing my beer and about to give up, around 9:30, the door opened once more—it was Amber. And immediately, I could see why those Instagram angles were played up so much. 

Amber was the classic embodiment of a woman entering her early thirties on the precipice of being considered fat. Having been with women of a similar size before, she checked all the boxes—size 14 jeggings stretched to the max; the top half of her tummy pushing out over her jeans button, its contour outlined only vaguely and in passing by her loose shirt. The contour of a woman being slowly transformed by endless bar nights, telling herself that “just this once” and “just one more” is fine—such as tonight. The fact that her face—a svelte impression not unlike Scarlet Johannsson, in all seriousness—was so deceiving only made her all the more alluring, and I wondered if it tripped of Mark in thinking not too much had changed about Amber at all (besides some extra decolletage, I’d assume). 

I hoped she would notice me before I had to “notice” her. She was with a couple of friends, both smaller than her—but not by a lot.

I continued to hang, sitting and sipping closer to the end of the bar as the scene grew more and more packed. There was no game plan—and I probably would have been at least a bit awkward had Amber noticed me, I surmised. 

Finally, after about an hour of this I decided to just go for it, DMing her on Instagram, where against all odds we’d kept at least a (tenuous, theoretical) connection over the years.

“To your left.”

I watched her pick up her phone and dutifully sway her head to the left. To my relief, she seemed happy about it, getting off the bar stool and venturing towards me, her shoulder-length auburn hair bouncing (and her fairly constrictive wear otherwise keeping things pretty tame).

“Oh shit hey! Wow, guys look who’s here; I haven’t seen you in what…”

“Eight years.” So far I was electing to play it cool, a counterpart to Amber’s enthusiasm.

“Um ya wow. So like… what have you been up to?”

“Well for starters I work here—for fun—keep a day job in cloud stuff.”

“Hey that’s amazing, congrats! Remember when you wanted to be a teacher?”

That was a mildly sore spot—we went to school for teaching together—but I quickly let it pass.

“Haha, indeed I do. Maybe someday yet. And you, what’s new?”

“Mmm well I’ve got a bit of that office life doing on myself. Well not really. Real estate. Get to see so many interesting places and show em off to people. Keeps me busy!”

“Haha, I bet. I see you’ve got some friends here—I hope I’m not pulling you away from them—“

“Oh no no, not at all. Yeah, Jess and Ally. Are you alone? Come on over, sit. We we planning to stay for at least one more and we have some catching up to do mister, haha.”

“So I work in real estate with Amber,” Jess said. “We collaborate. Give each other leads, tips, all that. You don’t think about that but it’s really important, like any industry, to have friends…” Jess took a sip of her amber and casually held an arm at the bar of the bar chair. As I’m mentioned, she seemed to be just a size smaller than Amber, but nonetheless pretty obviously captured in the midst of recent indulgence—she was confident enough to wear a sleeveless shirt, but her arms were beginning to look decidedly conspicuous; her apparent decision to show off more than a smidge of cleavage was testing me and my three-drink self—I estimated very full C cups. But the most mesmerizing things to me—well they were three things—her sweet voice, a reminder of her past, slimmer self—secondly, the sliver of double chin which would arrive from time to time to betray her (she probably still had a super flattering headshot, a bit older, but still accurate under just the right lighting and angle)—and third, the way Jess would clearly remind herself to suck it in from time to time. Ally was honestly little different, but far less talkative—observing, on her phone; fair enough.

“Well I’ll definitely have to keep you in mind should I be looking, for sure,” I offered to Jess. “Do you have a card?”

“Oh—yeah, sure; here—“ she offered it to me. Jess Whiterock, real estate. “Super; thanks.”

“Well we really should catch up again sometime, this was lovely!” Amber offered, but not quite coming in for a hug. “Maybe next time you’ll be behind the bar, haha.”

“Yeah maybe! Great seeing you. Great meeting you Jess, Ally.” Jess smiled at me warmly, her pony tail flipping as she turned to face me. I came for Amber… but there was something about Jess that struck me. 

Amber and I began to DM on Instagram a bit more after that, but nothing really progressed—just casual TV show stuff, news, all of that. Which, fine. Maybe she was waiting for me, but I didn’t want to come off as overbearing. And it was more than possible she just didn’t see it that way. 

Months passed; the spring and summer flew since that bar encounter in April. By November, I’d found myself wanting to relocate a little closer to work; moreover, I was waiting for the right time to buy in, and real estate was finally looking for a brief moment to be decent, if not palatable. I remember Jess’ card and fished it out of my bifold. I remembered that night. Part of me honestly just wanted to go with anyone I remotely knew—a friend of Amber can’t be so bad—and a part of me, selfishly and wrongly, was curious just to see her again. 

I wrote an email. I got a fairly prompt reply—an offer for an initial meeting at the same bar we met at, in April, and a personal number. I decided to try to text it.

“Hey—what, no coffee shop meeting?”

“Haha, we can do that if you prefer.”

“Fair enough—I’m good—see you then”

So I found myself in a bit of deja vu, waiting on (as it turns out) a Wednesday evening, this time for Jess.

As I sat waiting, I decided to check out her website. Jess Whiterock, realtor… she was downright skinny whenever she had this headshot done, I thought. Years ago. Pre-Covid, certainly. 

Another fifteen minutes later, I saw her enter, stylishly late. Even with her winter coat on, I could immediate tell she’d graduate at least a size… the way her bottom swayed suggested a full size sixteen—at least.  My heart quickened—would I even be able to take the reveal when she takes off her coat, I thought? 

“Well hey, been a while,” she said, almost as if you move for a hug, but hesitant. I decided not to go for it, unsure myself. 

“Indeed it has. How’s Amber?”

“Oh um, great—doing well. So… I actually had a new place that opened up around Hell’s Kitchen; I could even just take you there, if you wanted? They just left today for the open house this weekend. Sorry for the last minute offer; I just thought of it now. Totally understand if you just wanted to chat today.”

“Oh—yeah no, actually that would be really cool. Is it hopefully the loft style I’d written about, maybe?”

“Actually it is! That’s why I thought I’d tell you now—you know how fast these things come and ago.”

“Indeed—thank you so much. I was going to get a beer but good things don’t wait, huh?”

Jess shifted back on one foot; I noticed how tightly it hugged her frame. “Well—I mean—I would not be totally against dropped by the liquor store for a second if you really wanted to, haha.”

“Hey, you’re the professional. Let’s do it.”

I followed Jess out. Despite the coat obscuring much, I had the fullest view of her backside I’d ever had—April included—and it was incredible. Was I really about to have a beer with her practically in private?

I volunteered to go into the store. “More of an IPA person or?”

“Oh, um… like a grapefruit wheat thing would be delicious right now.”

“Ya, no worries. Hold on.” I got out. Did I dare go for a six pack? I eyed it. Not thinking too hard, I went for it.

I got back in. “Six? Someone’s thirsty, haha.”

“Oh… yeah, we can save a few for later,” I demurred. “So do you take all your clients for beers?” I decided to press a little.

“Not all my clients know Amber,” Jess innocently suggested. 

Finally, we made it. It was a cute, six-floor building on a somewhat busy intersection—enough to be interesting, in my estimation, without it interfering with sleep. 

Jess began to unzip her coat a bit in the elevator.

Jess unzipped her coat slowly, tentatively as the elevator went up, actually stopping just as it hit her cleavage. It looked like she was wearing a black top underneath; like her bottom half, from what I could remember of her versus April it seemed from the little I saw like she’d gone up a full cup size. I saw the way the extra amount rested on her face; she still had it, to be sure—but the curves everywhere had ratcheted up from tentative and suggestive to undeniable. She’d crossed multiple lines this summer—I imagined whether or not she’d opted for any swimwear—

The elevator stopped. “Just at the end of this hall,” Jess said, leading the way and offering me yet another opportunity to see her swaying rear in close quarters. Again, it was hard to tell because of the coat, but it seemed that she’d possibly developed from ** love handles—her jeans turned inwards and not so much hugged as resolutely constrained her hips in a way I’d seen before on women her size, suggesting a losing battle. 

Jess turned to me. “Ready?”

“As I’ll ever be,” I smiled, trying not to glance at the sliver of cleavage. 

Jess opened the door. It was beautiful—a loft-style place with exposed brick.

“I wasn’t sure if this was exactly your thing but I thought it really fit your description you’d emailed me—and your budget,” Jess said, walking through the space. There was a big white couch with blankets on it by a huge television. Beautiful lighting everywhere. Open concept kitchen. Tall ceilings. And, again, I was alone in close quarters with a truly beautiful lady… It was getting harder to focus on the task at hand. 

“Well then. Beer? Might help me make a decision,” I teased, taking off my jacket and sitting down at the kitchen island as I kept surveying the space.

“Um ya, hold on.” Jess hit a button and the lights dimmed everywhere. “Isn’t it amazing? And a little more bar-like, haha.” 

“Always wanted a bar-like home. You’re good at this.” Jess laughed, a little embarrassed possibly.

“Only the best…” She still hadn’t taken off her jacket, standing nearby as I sat.

“Well I mean, do you have any other showings today? When to the folks here get back?”

“Oh well, they’re actually gone for the weekend, and no, this is it for today. Easy evening.”

“Well I’m loving the place so far. I guess we might as well hang, huh? I mean… I didn’t have dinner, did you?”

“Oh um… this is really bending the rules a bit, hopefully there’s no cameras here. But no, I did not actually.”

“Well let me take care of it. Are you cold?” I asked, eyeing Jess’ jacket.

“Um ya, a bit…”

“Yeah it is a bit chilly in here. I wonder if there’s a thermostat… but I don’t want to mess with the place too too much…”

“No no, it’s ok… I’m just being silly…” Jess began to unzip her jacket all the way. All my suspicions came true before my eyes—although her black top was frillier than ever, she had clearly moved from clearly curvy to borderline BBW over the past six months or so. This time she was hiding her arms, opting instead to wear an impressive amount of cleavage—an amount that was clearly, at least in my estimation, professionally inappropriate in most cases. And despite continuing to minimize it every which way she could, Jess’ stomach was clearly, from the experience I’ve had with girls her size, getting truly big, with the bottom half tucked in and the top forming a distinct curve that showed itself even through her loose top. You know what I mean. Hers was fast becoming a belly that might begin to hang if left in just a bra and panties. But I was getting way ahead of myself in my fantasizing…

I contemplated complementing Jess on her outfit but I’m still not sure what the vibe is yet. “Beer?” I said, simply. 

“Yes please,” Jess sweetly said, maybe reading the way my eyes are reading her. “Couch?”

“Yes please,” I reciprocated.

“So…” Jess started as she gingerly sat on the couch. As one would expect, sitting only  made the various wardrobe battles Jess was facing that much more apparent—her upper stomach roll grew and pressed defiantly against her shirt, which she tried to inconspicuously pick at to let it billow out a little more, to little avail. Holding one hand in front of her midriff subconsciously, she took a sip of a new beer.

“So we both know Amber. I think we also both know Lauren, is that right? News anchor Lauren?”

I paused. She knew my ex from 2018? She had blamed me for putting on 20-30 pounds over the course of the relationship we had had over three years—but no one exactly forced her to indulge the way she did. She knew my preferences and begrudgingly tolerated it, is how I would put it at best. Lauren, still on TV, had only gotten a bit bigger during the pandemic too. 

“I um… yeah, we dated.”

“Haha, not to be weird about it, but yeah I know. Sorry. Just thought I’d um, let you know I guess. Lauren’s great… sorry it didn’t work out.”

“Um, yeah, well thank you.” An awkward pause. In truth I was trying not to let Jess’ body get the better of em and cause me to have to hide the evidence of her effect.

“So anyway. Did you want to see the other rooms of this place? Do a little tour? I have loads of time if you do.”

“Um, yeah, no, let’s see the bed and bath and whatnot.”

As we got up,  Jess straightened out her top and courteously looked behind me as she looked to hike up her jeggings to more fully cover her stomach again. When I looked back I noticed her sleeves were inadvertently rolled up a little; her arms were getting so thick. I found myself following the sway of her rear once again as we went down the hall to the bathroom.

“So I really like what they have going on in this bathroom—there’s actually 1.5 baths here; one closer to the kitchen. A deep tub is a must in my books, don’t you agree?” Jess turned to face me; I didn’t realize I was so close to her in the bathroom—I was facing her inches away. She looked up at me almost expectantly; at 5 ft 7, she was a few inches shorter. She smelled like an intoxicating vanilla.

“I…” before I could answer, took my hands and looked into my eyes.

“I’m going to be bold for a second. I saw the way you’ve been looking me straight up and down all evening. And in April. Lauren told me what you like.” Jess smiled as I clearly looked a little flustered.

“To be honest. I’ve had an eye on you for a while, and I knew you might call at some point. Decided to wait. I’m glad I did. And another thing… I don’t think you’d be mad. This isn’t a listing; this is Amber’s place. She’s in LA this weekend so we have it all to ourselves.”

Jess waited a bit as I clearly needed to get my bearing. “Aw hon, don’t worry, we’ll get you that nice place too. I’m still actually a real estate agent, haha. Back to the couch?”

A bit distraught and beside myself, I let Jess take my hand as we headed back.

I was a bit beside myself still taking in this new information; Jess looked suitably amused—confident—in full control of the situation, apparently. She knew me. She had me right where she wanted me. All I wanted to do at this point was quite frankly basically accost her, to feel those hips and arms she was so teasing about, but I fought every urge in order to remain civil. 

“Mmmm… poor guy,” Jess said seeing the way I eyed her with even less tact than before. “So, dinner? What if we went out and I wore something different? We could go back here after, we’ll see—do you have time?”

I pretended to check my calendar. Tomorrow was Saturday morning. Of course I had time for this.

“I mean… obviously,” I said, still trying to play it cool and very much failing. 

“I wouldn’t be against wearing the same shirt you met me in in April if you want,” Jess suggested, taking out the low-sleeved floral print from her bag. 

“I…”

“I thought so. Close your eyes and turn around.”

I dutifully did so as I heard a bit of shuffling of clothes. It felt like an eternity.

“Okay. Turn around…. ta-dah! Hahaha.”

I literally gaped at Jess, unwillingly. If before she was sort of keeping it together in that outfit, now she was…. well this was another situation entirely. A borderline unreasonable amount of cleavage sat contained in her conspicuous bra; her arms looked particularly big, warm, inviting. Tucked deep into her jeans, I could see how she could still, maybe, barely pull it off for an Instagram photo, sucking it in deep and at just the right angle… but she was just as likely these days to be caught in the reality she was in. If she was maybe 175-180 before on her 5 ft 7 frame, I wouldn’t been surprised at all if she’d broken 200 recently. Perhaps even 210.

“You like it? It’s a bit.. illusory,” Jess admitted, gesturing to her reined in midriff, “but I hear you’re into it. What? No one ever call you out on your preferences? Haha.”

“Jess…” I stood up and walking up to her.

“Ah—only look. No touching… yet.” She leaned up to my ear. “I’m very hungry by the way, you know.”

I was determined not to blow it and to play it cool tonight, trying my best to think of… anything not sexy. Work. My morning commute. And yet there was this tantalizing vision right in front of me, who not only knew exactly what I wanted, but apparently got off on teasing me about it… it was a dangerous, enticing, addictive proposition for both of us.

“Well then, let’s go get dinner?” I said as casually as I could. I ordered an Uber and followed Jess’ swaying bottom one more time, out of Amber’s apartment and at the start of something… bigger.

“So then I said, why WOULDN’T I want to go see Benedict Cumberbatch doing random shit? Always a good time,” Jess laughed. We were opposite each other in a new steakhouse we found a few streets down from the bar we’d been meeting at; dinner was on the way. So far I was succeeding at thinking about literally anything other than Jess’ body—and discovering she was an even better conversationalist than I’d thought. 

“Any good books lately?”

“Oh man… Totally depends on what you’re going for. Etymological entertainment? Susie Dent’s ‘Word Perfect’.  Did you know that checking—like money—comes from the Middle Ages when they made count by using chequered cloth? Crazy, right? Connections that are totally lost to time.”

“Huh—I mean I’m a fan of that too, information that—“

“Is totally useless but fascinating nonetheless?” Jess looked at me, beaming.

“I mean, yeah.”

“Mm.” 

Jess had since changed out of the floral shirt, as we agreed it was actually too much—but she still looked amazing nonetheless in a dark red number that flowed and draped across her body, with a mild accentuation around her bosom. 

“So did you see many people during the pandemic?” Jess asked.

“Oh, um… it’s been a while, haha,” I said, looking away. She reached out a hand and put it in mine.

“Good. Tonight’s special for both of us.” She looked at me with a disarming smile. 

“Just enjoy tonight…” she continued, glancing out the window. I noticed the way her cheek and jawline bunched out just a bit more in doing so. Jess really was a vision of beauty cranked to 11.. or a size 14/16. Her ponytail was a stunning contrast and accent to the way her eyes just slightly belied her age, with the beautiful markings of a woman entering her early thirties. I was growing a little more infatuated by the second, and getting ever more desperate to see and feel the rest of her—especially her stomach, that forbidden area she was so expert at keeping hidden and tucked away from the world, as most women her age do…

Two (three?) beers in and more than sufficiently full, we decided to uber back to Amber’s, seeing as the place was gorgeous and eminently available. 

“So, mister…” Jess said, sashaying back into Amber’s apartment, full of beer and dessert, “flower shirt? Or something else? Amber and I actually share a lot of clothes…”

“I um…” I said, almost afraid to ruin a perfect thing, capping off a delightful meal and conversation with this dream come true.

“It’s okay, I think at this point we’ve established you can be honest, haha. This is about having fun and being unashamed of who we are, yeah?”

“I… couldn’t agree more.”

“So? Maybe we’ll start with you, hehe…” Jess walked up to me and placed a hand on my chest, and started to unbutton my shirt. Her actions were slow and then quick as each button came loose. 

“Unbuttoning is super fun… maybe we need something like that for me…. hold. That. Thought…. sit.” 

Jess directed me to a kitchen island stool and sauntered off to Amber’s bedroom, jiggling in ways I hadn’t yet seen from her before. 

About ten minutes later, Jess emerged from Amber’s bedroom. Her jeans, impossibly, were even smaller than the ones she’d just had on—and then I realized, looking at the slight fade and pattern to them, that they were the ones Amber wore back in April, most likely. And it proved definitively that Jess has handily Amber’s size, at least back then. 

“Do you like? She keeps a lot of these jeans ‘just in case’ she can fit into them again at some point, which, sure,” Jess said, laughing. Her top was even looser than before, as if to compensate—I couldn’t see much of anything around her midriff area this time. It was an effective disguise, actually. 

“Okay, so.” Jess went up to me once more and took my hands. We were both still feeling tipsy and it was getting late. “Are you ready for dessert?”

My hands instinctively went under Jess’ shirt, feeling under the ruffles and frills at the bottom and working their way up, feeling and not yet exposing. My hand felt out taut and tight the front of Jess’ jeans were; I noticed not one, but three top buttons straining extra hard. Moving a bit higher, I finally felt the bare skin of Jess’ upper stomach bulge. It felt soft, huge, thick; the contrast between that I felt with my own hands and the still innocent, Instagram-worthy face in front of me was mesmerizing. 

“Mmm, I had a lot of fun with you tonight,” Jess said, leaning into my ear. Jess took off her loose, shirt, revealing a tiny t-shirt underneath for Daft Punk from their 2013 tour. “This looked a little different in 2013… haha.” Jess’ arms and chest practically exploded from it; I was worried it might rip. Every crevice and seam from her black bra showed through the stretched grey fabric. 

My hands ran up and down Jess’ love handles and front tummy bulge as I moved in to kiss her, which she reciprocated deeply; I felt her tongue hungrily indulge in me. “Jess… you’re amazing,” I said, simply. She smiled mischievously in response. 

“I know.”

My hands made their way to the top button of her jeans. It took all of my effort to get it undone; Jess had to somehow suck it in even more than she was doing to get it done. When I finally did it, another inch of her stomach surged forward, only encouraging me to do the next button. Jess was inflating before my eyes, no longer constrained or concealed by fabric. Finally the bottom button was undone, and I folded down the sides of her jeans like a present. 

“My God,” I said out loud. 

“That bad, huh?” Jess said, clearly enjoying how ravenous I was getting. Her belly sat like a soft, perilously doughy monument to her own indulgences over the past decade, now paying in full for all her crimes. I wanted to revise my estimate—I thought she was now more like 225, and 200 before; she was that very rare instance of a woman whose face hardly ever reveals what’s going on beneath the jawline. Her navel looked cavernously deep; it looked like it had always been deep and inviting, and yet no one had seen it. I felt privy to a great, dark, delicious secret that Jess had let no one know for the longest time. I had questions, but for now I was just enjoying the moment. 

“Mmm… I still don’t know if I love it, but I’m certain you do,” Jess said, reaching out her hand to my completely stiffened jeans leg. “Shall we take care of that pesky thing in your pants?”

Jess unzipped my pants and when her hands grazed me, it was electric. My hands moved to help her out of the jeans completely; her ass emerged with black panties cutting into her sides. I moved to take off her top as well; my hands began to explore. 

“Did you always want me this badly, or was it Amber?” Jess casually said between all of the viewing and grazing. 

“You definitely caught my eye,” I simply replied.

“Amber was bigger.”

“Well frankly… you’re more beautiful, then and now. Between us.”

“Haha, I’ll take it…”

I could tell she wasn’t used to having her body displayed like this in front of another; she was sucking it in hard. I decided to be a bit bolder. 

“When’s the last time you wore a swimsuit? Bikini?”

“Um…. maybe… three years ago? Even then I remember being a little embarrassed…”

“You could wear one now, as far as I’m concerned.”

“Of course you’d say that.”

“Just the truth, ma’am.” 

Jess laughed; her upper arms quivered in a way I hadn’t seen before, fully exposed as they were; her cleavage also responded in kind. My hands greedily went for her arms and grabbed them a little, moving down again to her waist and belly. My thumb plied her sides and explored the developing underside of her tummy, which was just beginning to threaten to overhang. 

“You really do want me, don’t you,” Jess said, smiling a little. “I would say your new condo search is off to a great start, huh? It might take a little wining and dining… but eventually you might have roomier quarters to move into. I take it you prefer something cozy… plush…” 

I kissed Jess even more deeply, leading her back onto the couch, sitting her down. The way her belly surged and sat on her panties was something I’d wanted to see since I first saw her in April; I wasn’t disappointed. Maybe the best part of it, odd to say, was how free Jess apparently looked and evidently felt. 

At that point, she had me under her thumb and she absolutely knew it.

You’d think that night between Jess and I would have been the beginning of something incredible, but just as soon as she decided to bare all, the very next day she practically ghosted me. It was strange behaviour, to be sure—vexing. I began to wonder if I had somehow had a bad drink and hallucinated the whole ordeal. Between the day job and by bartending gig I decided to lay out a bit and relax, but I couldn’t stop thinking about Jess. 

It was a full four months before I ran into here again—in March, at a Starbucks while I was in the middle of a work meeting. A total fluke. She clearly looked smaller—a total u-turn from her practical pledge of indulgence—but still pretty full, with C-cups and her size 14 (12?) jeans looking like they fit well again. She clearly didn’t want much of anything to do with me, seeing as she saw me and chose to ignore me completely… Still, I wondered if I should text or DM her. 

“Saw you at Starbucks today; don’t know if you noticed me—looking well! I know you probably don’t want to talk, but I thought I might reach out anyway—I think we should be friends,” I suggested, remembering how much I genuinely enjoyed my conversations with Jess that night in November in addition to the rest of it. 

A few minutes later, to my surprise, she responded.

“Hey. I’m sorry for the ghosting and everything, I just needed some time (OK, a lot of time) to do my own thing, and I just… wanted to distance myself from that evening. I’m OK to hang but we can’t talk about any of that stuff, okay?”

“Yeah, no—totally—Jess, thank you. I’m genuinely interested in getting to know you better, all that stuff is your business entirely, whatever you want to do. I want you to be healthy and happy.”

“That’s actually so sweet.” 

A full hour passed; I didn’t dare push her on it. She followed up sooner than anticipated.

“Movie on Friday, I guess?”

“Sounds amazing. See you there.”

I was beside myself with how well the conversation went. And that it was truthful—well, my experience with yo-yo dieters is that they invariably end up even bigger than they were anyway, but that’s neither here nor there, and I was just happy to see Jess again. 

We met at the same Starbucks on Friday before the movie. She was looking better than ever, in a way—more on that “threatening-to-look-fat” boundary line that initially attracted me to her in the first place, Jess still had quite a few little signals of indulgence to her.

“Hey, long time no see… dunno what I was thinking to be honest. How’ve you been? Ever end up getting that condo?”

“Oh, haha, right… I kind of dropped it after, you know.”

“Right. Answer honestly, were you actually intending to move at all, or?”

“Um… 50-50. I would still look—I’m still looking. Anyway. Haha.”

Jess crossed her arms in mock disapproval. “Uh-huh. Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing this one, actually. One of Benedict Cumberbatch’s artier forays, isn’t it?”

“You mean something non-MCU,” I said, jokingly.

“Right, right. Like the power of the dog.” 

Jess took off her jacket once we got in the theatre; it was a bit dark, but I could tell right away she was wearing the same floral shirt she teased me to mercilessly in back on that fateful evening. Of course, it fit way better—and yet, the way her arms protruded and the way her still-** chest filled it out still did an admirable job getting my mind racing a little. If anything, she did an even better job, knowing as we both knew exactly the effect she had on me, and hoping against hope that there might be an off chance that she might just eventually have a change of heart about the whole getting in shape thing… 

As the movie went on I decided to put my arm around her; she felt so soft—and smelled good to boot; a faint vanilla aroma filled me. Jess leaned over and whispered in my ear.

“I really did miss you. I don’t know what I was thinking… it was weird to just quit on the idea of you so quickly like that. I’m sorry. I just wanted to run in the opposite direction from… what happened. You understand?”

“Don’t worry, I understand,” I said, gently squeezing her arm a little, feeling how soft it still was. “I want to get to know you better… let’s watch the movie.” 

Jess leaned over and pecked me on the cheek. 

At this point Jess and I were going pretty steady and I was actually quite happy, even if Jess has since managed to drop yet another size—her dedication was incredible. But just like I was happy with my apartment but always looking around, it was (or so I told myself) human nature to think about what could have been—and the entire time, I was thinking from time to time about Amber, but it never really got to the point where I felt bold enough to do something about it.

It was hard to tell on Instagram, but I suspected Amber had at least not dropped the weight the same way Jess was so dedicated to doing. It had been a full year since I saw Amber on that bar visit, April again, when completely by chance I saw her walk in again in the middle of one of my Saturday night shifts. It was busy, but here I was about to serve her… and whatever had retreated from Jess’ form had obviously found its way to her. 

“Hey there, long time no see!” Amber shouted to me in the din of the crowd. There was a game going on on the television. I glanced over and pretended that I’d noticed her for the first time. I had to admit she was absolutely stunning—her cleavage was insane. I’d have guessed Amber was easily holding F cups in her black top at this point. (I wouldn’t been been shocked if they were actually Gs.)

“Taking care of Jess for me?”

“Of course—how are you? It’s been quite a while,” I said, matter of fact. 

“Um yeah that’s true… you know, keeping busy… I have two real estate deals to close this week. You still looking?”

“Eh?”

“Jess told me a while ago you were looking. Anyway, you know I’m a realtor, right? Any time, call me, DM, whatever.”

“Yeah for sure. I really appreciate it,” I said, handing her a beer.

Amber simply smiled back. “Just a second.” She got up—that must have been new jeans too, I thought—a size up, at least. 

I did think it was a little odd for her to be soliciting me directly about buying a condo, especially when she knew I was dating a fellow real estate agent, but I decided to think nothing of it at first. Then it kept bothering me.

“So you know I was shopping around for a condo with Jess earlier, right?”

Amber nodded. Made sense—they were friends and coworkers. “I know. And look where that got you… in a relationship. Unexpected, but hey?”

I shrugged and smiled. “Yeah, haha, it is a little funny I guess.”

“Well I’m happy for you… Jess is lucky.” 

At that very moment, Amber caught me staring a split second too long at her cleavage. She simply smiled. “I don’t blame you,” she said, looking down at her chest. Usually she was still good at not having a double chin, but one inevitably formed as she did so.

“You look amazing tonight. When I first came here a year ago, it was to see you,” I admitted.

“You’re too generous, haha. Could I get another beer?”

“Of course… on the house.”

“Ah—no wonder Jess likes you.”

I kept glancing at Amber as the evening wore on. She looked incredible—while Jess has gotten herself down to something halfway resembling conventionally attractive, Amber had no such convictions, looking from the neck down like a BBW goddess. Jess texted me. 

“All good tonight?” Did I tell her?

“Yeah. Amber’s here—trying to take over the condo sale. Wondering if you knew?”

Jess left me on the typing indicator for a minute so I had to tend to some customers. By the time I got back she’d left me a longer message.

“Ugh… yeah, okay. Confession time. I told her she could pursue it if you I hadn’t sold a house without in a few months. It’s a thing we do, try with one agent if it doesn’t work with the other. Sorry. I’m guessing you don’t actually want to buy right now, yeah?”

“No worries! I mean no, but I can be polite haha” I replied. I looked at Amber again and felt myself a little overcome with how good she was looking. She reminded me of a minor television personality from back when I lived in Canada—I think her name was Jamey Ordolis—just was bigger than she probably ever imagined she would end up being, and from what I could tell, really owning it. And yet she also retained a bit of that Scarlett Johannssohn-style verve, if you will—it was a scintillating combination. I wanted her to sell me a house, and she knew it.

“You finishing work late or?” Amber asked me as she got back, sitting down. Her chest swayed and jiggled with every little motion; her stomach was pretty much beyond hiding at this point, resting in a mound between her boobs and where her jeans sat precariously done buttoned up to the brink. 

“Um, about 11—were you thinking of showing me a condo like, right away? Because honestly, sure, why not.” I couldn’t stop eyeing her up and down. She was clearly loving it… 

“Well since you mentioned it, there is a place. I think you may have seen it before. It’s a bit indulgent but I think you could stretch your budget, or at least it’s worth considering for a minute. You curious?”

“I am.”

“Okay. I think I need one more beer to ride me out the last half hour, if that’s okay…”

“Of course.” I almost rushed to it, eager to please Amber. Her curves were intoxicating.

“Hahaha, don’t trip over yourself… mmmm, thank you. Cheers… to house hunting.”

Upon wrapping up my shift, I left with Amber in tow. It felt familiar, like when I’d left with Jess some time ago. Little did I know how familiar it would end up being.

As Amber drove up to the place, I realized it was her apartment. I decided not to say anything.

As we entered her place, Amber dropped her bag and turned to face me. “Well? What do you think?”

“I ah… it’s gorgeous.”

“Familiar?”

“Ah… not sure why it would be.”

Amber stepped up to me and put her hands on mine. “It’s okay. Jess told me. Months ago… she was ** as a skunk. She said you like bigger girls, ring a bell?”

“I…” my face flushed red. Amber laughed.

“So cute. I know that’s why you suddenly appeared a year ago in the first place. Checking me out. Seeing if I’d finally… outgrown my university jeans. I’m not stupid, you know. You could have tried a little harder not to stare at my chest… what would Jess think? Haha…”

I backed up as Amber walked towards me in the kitchen, backing me into a corner of cabinets.

“Guess you’re lucky I like to indulge. Go ahead… touch my cleavage. Soft and slow.”

I dutifully complied, getting painfully hard in the process.

“Mmmm… and I have it on good authority you like tummies, hehe. Don’t worry, I’m not telling Jess about tonight….”

Stuck in a moment and seemingly without a choice, I begin to curl my fingers around the bottom edge of Amber’s black top.

• 3 weeks later...