Do you guys remember history differently?

KFD

So the subject of Tiananiman Square came up today, and I swear to Fred Roger's Sweatervest I remember as a child seeing the student on the news getting flattened by that tank. I know what I had seen, but it seems, I had vivid memories of something that didn't happen...

Then, the conversation turned to people remembering things differently... I could've sworn that Billy Graham died in the early 2000s. I know Jerry Fallwell died around that time too... I remember callers on the Art Bell Show on the AM waves saying they remembered Nelson Mandella dying in prison as well. So, am I having the early onset of Alzhiemer's, or am did I put too much X-Files sauce in my beer? I know some of sci-if hooligans know what I am talking about...

• Moderators

Memory is a strange thing that distorts over time. Even in experiencing something firsthand, I often "mis-remember" what actually occurred. Did I merely remember a dream that altered the event in my mind's eye? You can always start writing a daily journal to help in gathering your thoughts. I find my most blurriest memories are those which have no artifacts to enhance the process of recollection.

Guest WJonesy

I swear, I thought that dude was flattened!

To answer your question:

Nobody knows the fate of the Tienanmen Tank Man. Seriously, nobody knows; as was said in the chat Billy Graham is still alive and well at the age of 94, Jerry Falwell died in 2007 (six years on May 15th), and lastly Nelson Mandela is alive.

I should start keeping a journal. I'm not sure what it is, but since I've been younger I haven't really had luck in terms of cementing things into long term memories. :/ it definitely would be nice to have as a reminder of what happens, even If its a particularly boring day. Good idea GTA. :)

People can have different memories of something they all saw 10 minutes ago if they are different distances away from the incident. It's to do with light distorting things and time taking for the incident to reach the retinas.

Now, that seems like it is some rift in a time-paradox continuum that the conspiracy theorists keep rambling about. Who remembers thanksgiving on the third Tuesday? The wierd part is I was born Thanksgiving day. Nov 27, 1982, but I swear my birthday has only hit on T-day once of twice since then. So nobody else remembers Tank Man being flattened!?!

Well, you know here in So-Cal are the self-righteous cyclists that think they own the roads. I have had close calls on a blind corner in the canyons with some idiot in his spandexed glory a time or two, but I haven't flattened any yet...

So the subject of Tiananiman Square came up today, and I swear to Fred Roger's Sweatervest I remember as a child seeing the student on the news getting flattened by that tank. I know what I had seen, but it seems, I had vivid memories of something that didn't happen...

Then, the conversation turned to people remembering things differently... I could've sworn that Billy Graham died in the early 2000s. I know Jerry Fallwell died around that time too... I remember callers on the Art Bell Show on the AM waves saying they remembered Nelson Mandella dying in prison as well. So, am I having the early onset of Alzhiemer's, or am did I put too much X-Files sauce in my beer? I know some of sci-if hooligans know what I am talking about...

Whenever you recall a memory, it will be saved again, probably slightly differently (trauma therapy works with this effect). Maybe the information wasn't important enough for you to save it correctly at that time and you mixed it up with other stuff.

chronic marijuana use doesn't help at all  :'(

You must have forgotten what I do for a living, and I didn't like the stuff enough to regularly use it in the first place. Blow and Shrooms? That's another story! :P

Guest Skellington

You must have forgotten what I do for a living, and I didn't like the stuff enough to regularly use it in the first place. Blow and Shrooms? That's another story! :P

actually I never knew what you did for a living in order to be able to forget it. sate my curiosity please, tell me!

actually I never knew what you did for a living in order to be able to forget it. sate my curiosity please, tell me!

If you kids didn't know, my real job isn't locking threads and interjecting sarcasm on here. I am in the Navy's construction force, the Seabees.

So ya, no smokey smokey for me...

Guest Skellington

Hell ya well at least you still get to party sometimes! It's a shame you live in So Cal and you can't even fuckin smoke, but honestly, it's not that big a deal. I can live with or without it.

The thing I would hate the most is just not having the fucking option to, if I wanted to... that would kill me.

But a navy construction guy? That would make a LOT of sense why you're always posting like plane and car engines and mechanical parts and shit