Gaining While Exercising?

Col.Sanders

I know this topic may be taboo for this community but wanted to give it a shot.

Has anyone ever tried gaining while maintaining an active lifestyle?

As much as I admire the physical form of a growing body I would not want to lose all of my fitness gains and would never consider completely stopping my cardio routine.

Curious to know if any current or former fitness addicts have ever engaged in a "dirty bulk" purposefully and how that went.

To be clear, I'm not putting down anyone who threw fitness to the wind and gained uncontrollably. I'm just trying to see if anyone went about it in a more controlled manner.

Guest Celandine

Absolutely; it's the sensible thing to do if you don't happen to have a kink for the accompanying health issues. Loads of people stay active whilst also overindulging.

iOn here, @ChonkandBean come to mind -- they live more outdoors than in, I think! :)Walking in the forest, hiking in the mountains, doing yoga...

As for the former fitness addicts, you might find this thread interesting -- seems it's also not unknown by any means --

On 12/27/2021 at 2:42 AM, Col.Sanders said:

I know this topic may be taboo for this community but wanted to give it a shot.

Has anyone ever tried gaining while maintaining an active lifestyle?

As much as I admire the physical form of a growing body I would not want to lose all of my fitness gains and would never consider completely stopping my cardio routine.

Curious to know if any current or former fitness addicts have ever engaged in a "dirty bulk" purposefully and how that went.

To be clear, I'm not putting down anyone who threw fitness to the wind and gained uncontrollably. I'm just trying to see if anyone went about it in a more controlled manner.

I don't know if it counts but I had a similar experience. But it was caused by a "starvation" that I had done during the first quarantine because I was afraid of gaining. When I started working  out again, I also started to eat whatever and as much as I wanted because I was used to my fast metabolism and intense workouts but because of the starvation of the quarantine my metabolism had slowed down extremely. As a result I went from 100 pounds (very skinny but fit due to doing track and specifically long distances) to 133 (average looking with signs of weight gain)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 6:16 PM, AGirlWhoLikesToEat said:

Oh yes you can definitely be fit and have weight...in fact it would allow you to eat even more🤩 Also the strongest people on earth have belly XD Just looks at all the strong men competitions! They are super strong anddd got squishy bellies!

Actually, fun fact those bellies aren't as squishy as they look! They usually average around 15-18% body fat which is pretty average for men. The reason the abdomen look so round and belly like, is an insane amount of muscle packed in there that it stops being flat. Then add the average body fat on top (unlike body builders) and it looks like a belly instead of abs. If you watch closes, those giants don't jiggle much

13 hours ago, double-Big-C said:

Actually, fun fact those bellies aren't as squishy as they look! They usually average around 15-18% body fat which is pretty average for men. The reason the abdomen look so round and belly like, is an insane amount of muscle packed in there that it stops being flat. Then add the average body fat on top (unlike body builders) and it looks like a belly instead of abs. If you watch closes, those giants don't jiggle much

That's really interesting. I've seen shredded guys with incredibly well-defined abs that really project outward. It makes sense that those strong men have even huger abs that you just can't see. I never really thought about it. Thanks for the cool info.