Rise of the Sigma Male

KFD

Sigma Male síğmã male (N): A man within the socio sexual hierarchy who chooses to live his life outside of the normal social dominance hierarchy structures of society. ... The archetypal sigma male is defined above all else by his tendency to forsake the traditional social dominance hierarchies of modern society.

I was speaking with Casey not too long ago about a disgraced user with an agenda hell-bent on doxxing SJ, and my response was "Hell, if he wants an address, maybe he would like mine!". Some would say posting 1832 E. Alcove Way, Anaheim CA would be a boss move, others would say it's foolish. Either end of the spectrum, you can't deny there is a zero fucks given attitude. 

If anything you users have gleaned about me, I'm hoping it's a salty covfefe drinking, cigar chomping asshole. It is by design to a fault. Shut your suck, I'll punt you in the box for two nights for walking on the grass sort of thing. I've upheld this persona for a reason, maybe it's false bravado. Maybe the whispers around Internetfatgirlworld are true or false, but those are to be damned. 

This is an interesting perspective for me, I'm a little stalwart when it comes to the pangendered toilet toaster being on the spectrum of gender and sexuality, so something besides alpha and beta male? What the French toast?

We've always had leaders and followers. Admiral Farragut's "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead"? Courageous, and a vestige of masculinity from times gone by. Don Draper, in Mad Men. He takes what he wants, holds no quarter, and gives zero fucks about permission. 

Do I need to go into what a beta is? We toss that word around flippantly like a slur. We see it all the time as a political attack. I'm not one to condone lapdog soyboyism, but I'm also going to say we need to Make Toxic Masculinity Great Again.

So what's a sigma in all this? Is it the pangendered toilet toaster of social constructs? Possibly.  If you guys are high fiving your forties like I am, you might remember watching 12 Angry Men in high school. That black and white movie about jurors? Yeah that one. You want to see a perfect example of a Sigma, even in pre-Technicolor 1957? Henry Fonda's portrayal of Juror Number Eight. Strong persuader, not having the amount of braggadocio Juror 3 does, an obvious Alpha. Number 8 doesn't raise his voice, show a lot of emotion, but concisely shows how being calm and persuasive can cause a jury to really look at something that isn't so obvious.

Another great example of a Sigma, is John Wick. Keanu Reeves portrays this character that is a lone wolf, another trait. This concept of alpha beta and all these other Greek alphabet names started from the idea of a wolf pack hierarchy, which has actually been debunked, yet somehow it seems to be pop culture lexicon.

So well I might grumble into my whiskey about the B in LBGT defying the gender spectrum thing, it does give rise to the concept that a societal definition of a male's role is not just black and white anymore, well we might call someone a beta soyboy cuck, and I'll light a stogie to that insult, this is also showing that in society a term isn't really as definable as it once was. 

Thanks for attending my KFD talk.

You know, whenever I read about this "social sexual hierarchy" thing I keep being reminded of the cargo cults. From Wikipedia, 

These cults were first described in Melanesia in the wake of contact with allied military forces during the Second World War.

Isolated and pre-industrial island cultures that were lacking technology found soldiers and supplies arriving in large numbers, often by airdrop. The soldiers would trade with the islanders. After the war, the soldiers departed. Cargo cults arose, attempting to imitate the behaviors of the soldiers, thinking that this would cause the soldiers and their cargo to return. Some cult behaviors involved mimicking the day-to-day activities and dress styles of soldiers, such as performing parade ground drills with wooden or salvaged rifles.

…or bamboo "radios", "headphones" and "antennae". The comparison is a bit humiliating perhaps but it underlines the lack of insight that both the manosphere and these unfortunate folks are characterized by. They see the show but are clueless as to what's going on behind the scenes. The manosphere social teachings is something like the cargo cult of psychology.

I don't think there's anyone to blame here but it is a fact that only you can gain this insight for yourself. The world is getting difficult for some men to maneuver in because while we put much effort into making women aware of their rights, and rightly so, such as the right not to be involved in a sexual contact if they don't want to, literally no efforts are made to enlighten men about their rights and what they can and can't do in situations in which they don't feel comfortable. Even the phrase "men's rights" has come to mean some anti-women propaganda. The mainstream is completely flooded with this Social Justice narrative in which men only have privileges they need to stripped of. The narrative, which, incidentally, bears many resemblances with the resentful theories of the manosphere, only the sexes are reversed. But that's an aside.

And that's why I "advertise" psychotherapy so much. Not because everyone is a freak that warrants treatment, but rather, because it gives insight that is all but unobtainable normally. When I was doing group therapy for my anxiety, I would be meeting women and men of all ages for a few months, talking for hours everyday about their problems, under a guidance from a few therapists of different schools (CBT, psychodynamic, …) and a psychiatrist (a medical professional in case anyone had suicidal thoughts or other strictly medical problems) — the thing is, almost all group members would consistently remark that they share information they never ever shared with anyone before, even their partner, let alone a group of strangers. In such a controlled, non-judgmental environment all sorts of stuff came out of people :D 

When I'm reading about these 'hierarchies', 'female privileges' etc. what I see is people who have been damaged, who have been repeatedly shown they don't mean a thing — or, as a variation on the theme, don't mean a thing unless they're a world champion in something, a CEO of some company, or have three PhD-s. In other words, they don't mean a thing if they can't impress others. Then these people try to achieve all these achievements, which kinda has the reverse effect because it chases people away from them, and that's how paradoxically by trying to be accepted and mean something to others, they become rejected and isolated, and feel like they don't mean a thing even more strongly.

Then they come to associate all that negative stuff with not having a romantic partner — and baaam, they become incels in the blink of an eye. So to make sense of the world around them, they construct these concepts. One could almost make a lexicon of incel speech, for instance

• He's an alpha male / chad translates into: I see a moderately happy man and I envy him for that happiness. Why do I feel so miserable when he doesn't?
  • Women mistreat me translates into: I feel fear when in social situations because I might do something which others will not like and will find me less appealing afterwards. I think that me not having a partner testifies to how worthless I am in people's eyes therefore I place great emphasis on getting one, so as not to look stupid. This doubles my anxiety when talking to women, and makes it impossible to make friendships.
  • All women are like that translates into: I feel like a perpetual victim of society and I don't want anyone, least of all a woman, to show me any affection, because that would mean I am loveable after all — and somehow that would make me responsible for my failings in social contexts.

Etc. etc. etc. Give me an incel webpage and I will translate it for you like the Google Translator.

So while there is much truth to the observations that lie at the core of these manosphere beliefs, they are not to be taken at face value without an interpretation. And of course they don't constitute any science.

On 6/15/2021 at 6:08 PM, KFD said:

I've upheld this persona for a reason, maybe it's false bravado.

Or it might be that if anyone should ever tell you "You're an A-hole KFD!", you can just point to your profile badge and retort: "Not the smartest under the sun, are we? I just said I'm an A-hole Mod, haven't I, or 嫌い司会者 if you're English-impaired too!" It's the same purpose that my "intellectualism" serves — "you can call me all sorts of names but stupid ain't one of them" — it's a ready-made shield. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

• Moderators

I can't wait for modern tech to get to the point where I can have a Social Enhancer like Jensen in Deus Ex. It'll make things sooo much easier. "Yep, this is a Chad, attempt reverse psychology".

So, pardon my ignorance, but is a sigma personality akin to alpha, but more introverted (i.e. does not need to rely on the "pack" to feed their feeling of superiority/dominance)?

Use CASIE on the Neon Chemist (Neon Nights) Deus Ex Mankind Divided -  YouTube

Social Enhancer, that's a clever idea! :D

As I said, these "sex dominance hierarchy" theories are pseudoscience. They are important and interesting not because they describe the reality but because they give hints about the mindset of people who created them.

To know whether sigma is more introverted than alpha, you have to consult the manosphere's holy scriptures:

https://incels.wiki/w/Vox_Day

• 2 weeks later...

We were robbed of one of the greatest sigma males when John McAfee was suicided.

He certainly blazed his own trail!

• Moderators
On 7/1/2021 at 11:44 AM, Batman76 said:

Wolf packs don't have alphas and betas or anything else. They're just made out of the parents, off spring that haven't left the family yet and puppies. The entire alpha/beta/gamma concept was a misunderstanding of non-related wolves kept in captivity in an unnaturally small enclosure.

Okay, then explain this one away for gorillas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla#Social_structure

I'd argue human social interactions are more closely related to apes than canines, and I've never heard of a "lone gorilla" 🤷‍♂️

On 7/3/2021 at 8:44 AM, gta said:

Okay, then explain this one away for gorillas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla#Social_structure

I'd argue human social interactions are more closely related to apes than canines, and I've never heard of a "lone gorilla" 🤷‍♂️

The gorilla social structure of a silver back, multiple females and children isn't like most human ones either. The closest human relatives are chimps and bonobos. Chimp hierarchies are hyper patriarchal ones with a dominant male and several younger males who are over all females and frequently engage in inter group warfare, while Bonobos are a dominant female and then a mixture of sex and status with females greeting each other by scissoring.

This should tell us that animal social hierarchies have very little to tell us about human behavior.

I have no idea why we're discussing wolves and other animals, are we really that much of zoology aficionados? :D I mean, whatever life they lead, it is not immediately obvious how this should translate to humans and — more importantly — to each of us.

What I suppose is happening is people have some personal thoughts, like, "I feel like I'm on the bottom of some hierarchy" (aka 'loser'), and then because they're too uncomfortable with sharing this directly they'll invent "sex dominance hierarchies" and argue about those. Now sometimes people don't want to share stuff, because they're facing an army of guys with similar problems and similar eagerness to ridicule others, so I'm not judging anyone here. And by 'problems' I don't mean 'being a loser' but rather 'feeling like one'.

I think we have two extreme viewpoints: one, that there's this "sex dominance hierarchy", whereby the most aggressive guys get all the girls they want and therefore have a high status — and another, that there are no hierarchies in the world whatsoever. The truth is that of course there exist some hierarchies in every society but being on a high place in one of them doesn't correlate with feeling like you mean something. Bill Gates might be wealthy but he's having marital problems. Magnus Carlsen is World Chess Champion but says "women hate me, I repel them". Kim Jong Un is a god in his country but he's shrinking in the presence of Dennis Rodman. Or Trump. Whose wife incidentally was rumored to want to file for divorce. Etc etc etc. And if you're looking for those who are most successful sexually, you have Mormons in the USA who have many wives and proportionately more children. The question is, though, is that what you're really after? :D 

EDIT: I felt like I'm the most beta male you can imagine for years. And envied anyone (of any gender) around me. So I kinda understand where people are coming from. The remedy for me was to stop comparing myself to others and not to take people who want to put me down seriously.

Mormons haven’t practiced polygamy since 1895 😑 it was part of a bargain to make Utah a state.

Sex has surprisingly little to do with social hierarchy, else hookers would be Alphas.

So 🤔 what makes someone have a high social status? That’s a harder question than it looks. Warren Buffet is renowned for his amazing investing skills, but he would absolutely suck at Twitch streaming. Pokimane is the most popular Twitch streamer, but her tweets about Dogecoin and stocks make me snicker to myself.

Personal experience has shown me that social status is probably based on three things: what others want from you, what they expect of you, and whether they fear you at all. It’s entirely based on public opinion and each and every person will rank you differently.

19 hours ago, >_< 0_0 said:

Mormons haven’t practiced polygamy since 1895 😑 it was part of a bargain to make Utah a state.

Yes but… :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Pm5092a0c

Sex has surprisingly little to do with social hierarchy, else hookers would be Alphas.

👍🏻

So 🤔 what makes someone have a high social status? That’s a harder question than it looks. Warren Buffet is renowned for his amazing investing skills, but he would absolutely suck at Twitch streaming. Pokimane is the most popular Twitch streamer, but her tweets about Dogecoin and stocks make me snicker to myself.

Personal experience has shown me that social status is probably based on three things: what others want from you, what they expect of you, and whether they fear you at all. It’s entirely based on public opinion and each and every person will rank you differently.

I think what counts the most is how you rank yourself. Because that's what you actually feel, you don't feel other people's opinions, unless you kinda agree with them to some extent.

Kim Jong Un ticks all the three boxes but as I say, when you look at how he acts when sitting next to a Western star, like Rodman, you kinda see that his confidence and pride only extends so far… Social status is more of a feeling one has than other people's opinions.

• 2 weeks later...

Just piping I here to say that the Alpha Male Theory has been SUPERDEBUNKED. In fact, the guy who first proposed it became one of the biggest proponents of correcting his past assertions. 

https://okk9s.co.nz/alpha-dog-fallacy/

TLDR: The alpha/beta idea was floated after watching random wolves in a zoo in the 1940’s, but it turns out that in the wild adult wolves don’t have an alpha hierarchy at all. Our whole concept on this is based on total bullshit. 

On the other hand, I don't want people to feel invalidated just because wolves behave in one or another way. So if anyone is feeling like they're on the bottom of some social hierarchy or like they're unloveable or like people around them are terrible — these are by all means legitimate feelings (not facts though).