Threat to future of our desires?

ThickNewLook

• Moderators
10 hours ago, G21 said:

Love how obesity is considered a disease by these people lol

I can't be one of those people that look the other way on links between obesity and potential health issues. Obesity and health problems are not guaranteed to go hand-in-hand, but it is naïve and dangerous to completely ignore it. Putting one's physical attraction aside, there are real life consequences to unchecked/unmitigated health problems related to poor diet and excess weight. A family member of mine did not bother to keep his type 2 diabetes in check for many years. He would still eat whatever he wanted, did not exercise, and was obese. Over the last seven years, he's now lost both of his legs up to the knee, and his kidneys have completely failed. Instead of enjoying his golden years, he now spends his days in an assisted living community, getting dialysis several times a week, and learning how to walk again on prosthetics. He's trying to get in better shape now, but the damage is done - he's not getting his limbs back, and his kidneys will never recover.

If you're fat and healthy, more power to you. But if you start having serious health problems and the medical advice is to lose some weight, I'd hope you think very long and hard about life priorities.

Constipation was another side effect, which in some some participants lasted as long as 27 days.

😵😵😵😵

🥴

“I can’t think of any other medical condition where we blame people for their disease,” Kushner said.

Personality and many other psychological disorders? Lol.

it really highlights the whole idea that their obesity is biologically driven and it’s not a problem of willpower or moral failing," Kushner said.

No, it's not a problem of willpower, it's a problem of the psyche.

“We really need to think about (obesity) in the context of a chronic disease model.”

True. But a drug can't change your patterns of behavior. (Well, it can certainly make it erratic and chaotic.) Jeez, the stupidity of some people.

17 hours ago, G21 said:

Love how obesity is considered a disease by these people lol

Look, if you're obese and you don't want to be obese and nothing you do changes it, then it's a disease. Also, if you're ill because of obesity, that's a disease. That someone else's obesity turns you on, doesn't change any of this.

Also, the title of this thread is weird. Like, what are "your desires"? To make the world's population fat?

Health and wellness obvious connect to weight in many various and complicated ways. But I agree that it's not helpful to think of how fat someone is as itself the disease. Having a certain BMI shouldn't be enough to call someone "ill." Other health conditions are correlated with height, too, but nobody says that people who are 6'6" have an illness.