• Curvage Model

So I’ve been in the community for about a year now, with a supportive network of people I care about to talk through issues I come across. 

However since really diving in and finding articles on body positivity, fat positivity, fat acceptance, and fat bias, I’ve noticed a lot of the way my friends and family talk is fat phobic. 

I’m a confident fat girl! And I feel like my friends who can be really supportive still refer to people as fat in a derogatory way, but not me. I guess in the reclamation sense it’s still a great way to identify yourself and I feel that the word holds all the power you give it. 

In this path to wokeness our society is engaging in more discourse around fat bias and I’m wondering what has been helpful when bringing up others’ fat bias? 

would love to hear your thoughts! 

7A56B9A0-DFEE-4856-B306-FC511FDFD91B.jpeg

• Curvage Model

I feel you. I have gained a lot of weight, very fast, and the reactions are various. But I have indeed noticed that some people close to me tend to make "funny remarks"(which to me are not funny at all), about how huge this and that person looks, and avoiding to use the word FAT as it was some offense or something. Saying shit like "fat people stuff", warning people not to eat that much dessert so you wont get fat.... 

To me, as a gainer, its a bit of a turn on all this "attention" my weight gain gets but I would really prefer for this kind of sayings to stay in the bedroom for the right purposes and people understanding that not saying the word fat wont change shit, but minding their own business will. 

My way to try and change my inner circle is pronoucing the word fat as a simple characteristic of mine and not something I should feel ashamed of saying or being, but also letting them know that fatphobic remarks are not welcome at my house or around me and I will become that insistent person if I have to

Guest DWilliams1
7 minutes ago, Thatfatguineapig said:

I feel you. I have gained a lot of weight, very fast, and the reactions are various. But I have indeed noticed that some people close to me tend to make "funny remarks"(which to me are not funny at all), about how huge this and that person looks, and avoiding to use the word FAT as it was some offense or something. Saying shit like "fat people stuff", warning people not to eat that much dessert so you wont get fat.... 

To me, as a gainer, its a bit of a turn on all this "attention" my weight gain gets but I would really prefer for this kind of sayings to stay in the bedroom for the right purposes and people understanding that not saying the word fat wont change shit, but minding their own business will. 

My way to try and change my inner circle is pronoucing the word fat as a simple characteristic of mine and not something I should feel ashamed of saying or being, but also letting them know that fatphobic remarks are not welcome at my house or around me and I will become that insistent person if I have to

I fully agree with this!

I have loved the foodie/gainer lifestyle since as far back as I remember. But While fat, on myself and others, is a huge turn on...I can’t stand the negative, deliberately hurtful, fat phobic remarks.

i dealt with it for my entire life from my negative family and close inner circle...and because of it, it took me a long time to be comfortable in my own skin, and to actively pursue this part of myself that I always desired. Namely, to embrace my love of food, gaining, and to become fully comfortable in my own skin...to be who I wanted to be.

At the end of the day, we have to be right for ourselves and do what makes us happy. 

• Curvage Model
42 minutes ago, Thatfatguineapig said:

yes exactly, referring to myself as fat, just as a descriptive and taking away the stigma is a great way to exemplify how its not a bad or offensive word. it does get so tiring pointing out fat bias over and over aye?

We are leading by example I guess!

• Curvage Model
1 hour ago, Jersey Ghoul 666 said:

yes exactly, referring to myself as fat, just as a descriptive and taking away the stigma is a great way to exemplify how its not a bad or offensive word. it does get so tiring pointing out fat bias over and over aye?

Another thing I like doing, is to answer with a "thank you!" If someone points out or comment on my weight gain. If nothing, im introducing a new point of view

Guest DWilliams1
1 hour ago, Jersey Ghoul 666 said:

Truer words never spoken!! Perfectly said. 

• Curvage Model
On 4/13/2021 at 12:51 AM, Jersey Ghoul 666 said:

That's such an easy and important way to tackle fat bias and speech!