Writing Advice?

I used to write short pieces of fetish fiction several years ago, but fell off pretty hard; now I'm trying to get back into it, but it's been difficult. I have ideas, but they're not developing like I'd hoped. Online resources for writing in this kind of niche are fairly thin on the ground too.

Do any writers have good advice/resources for getting back into writing, or for writing WG/feederism content in general?

Here's some things that worked for me...

Have an actual story line, not just a few descriptive paragraphs. It helps if you compose a brief plot outline, before writing the actual story. One or two lines or bullet points for each chapter, describing what will happen.

Finish it. Helps if you write the last chapter early in the process. That way the preceding chapters will all lead the reader to the final destination. 

I use a spread sheet for the timeline/weight gain/dimensional changes. It helps with continuity. I also use one for a cast of characters. That reduces the chances of making mistakes; like changing date of birth or eye colour, in the middle of the story.

Hope this helps a bit?

3 hours ago, maltesefalcon said:

Here's some things that worked for me...

Have an actual story line, not just a few descriptive paragraphs. It helps if you compose a brief plot outline, before writing the actual story. One or two lines or bullet points for each chapter, describing what will happen.

Finish it. Helps if you write the last chapter early in the process. That way the preceding chapters will all lead the reader to the final destination. 

I use a spread sheet for the timeline/weight gain/dimensional changes. It helps with continuity. I also use one for a cast of characters. That reduces the chances of making mistakes; like changing date of birth or eye colour, in the middle of the story.

Hope this helps a bit?

Thanks so much for the advice! I don't have to worry too much about continuity or juggling characters right now since I tend to write short, but the point about breaking down the idea outlines into plot lines is well-observed. As for finishing, the starting's not much less challenging for me... Hopefully that passes though.

Thanks again!

8 hours ago, maltesefalcon said:

Can second this. Or, at the very least, write out a list of the characters and where they're going, then go back write out what each one wants. That way, you've got a basic idea of where things are headed, and even if you aren't sure what to do at a certain point, you can continue to move the story along based on what they would do based on their goals and how that conflicts with their reality/other characters/etc.

For getting back into writing in general, do what excites you and as you work on that, figure out what motivates you about the process. If that's internal, awesome - you win. If that's something external, put that out there and go for the likes or feedback or money or whatever makes you want to write that next story/chapter/whatever. If you start posting stuff here or on DA or anywhere people look for stories, you're going to get at least one fan that'll look forward to what you're going to do next, if that helps. And then, it's kind of a rinse and repeat process - you enjoy what you do enough to make the thing to get what you want, and when you get what you want, it's easier to stay motivated to make more of it. (And when you make more of it, you're going to get better at doing the thing, which hopefully gets you more of what you want.) Which is mostly not-writing-related, in that you have to know what you want and be honest with yourself about it, especially if it's external validation.

Specifically for WG fiction, use the genre restrictions to try stuff and see what works for you. Discord and DeviantArt are great for that - you can post little things and see how you and others feel about it instead of spending weeks trying to get everything right. Especially for short WG fiction - it's the clay ** thing: you're going to do better if you spend a month making 100 clay pots instead of using the whole month to perfect one clay **. (And since there's kind of an accepted "thing happens, person gets fat, ???, profit" structure, you're working with a safety net of sorts, because eventually the thing is going to happen, the person is going to get fat, you did what it said on the tin, and hooray, the end. It's your choice how complicated you want to make everything when a reader's expectations will primarily be "is this written in language I can easily understand?" and "does the person get fat?")

Worst case scenario: you pat yourself on the back for doing your best and go look at pictures of hot, fat people.
You got this, and good luck.

13 minutes ago, jarlewski said:

Can second this. Or, at the very least, write out a list of the characters and where they're going, then go back write out what each one wants. That way, you've got a basic idea of where things are headed, and even if you aren't sure what to do at a certain point, you can continue to move the story along based on what they would do based on their goals and how that conflicts with their reality/other characters/etc.

For getting back into writing in general, do what excites you and as you work on that, figure out what motivates you about the process. If that's internal, awesome - you win. If that's something external, put that out there and go for the likes or feedback or money or whatever makes you want to write that next story/chapter/whatever. If you start posting stuff here or on DA or anywhere people look for stories, you're going to get at least one fan that'll look forward to what you're going to do next, if that helps. And then, it's kind of a rinse and repeat process - you enjoy what you do enough to make the thing to get what you want, and when you get what you want, it's easier to stay motivated to make more of it. (And when you make more of it, you're going to get better at doing the thing, which hopefully gets you more of what you want.) Which is mostly not-writing-related, in that you have to know what you want and be honest with yourself about it, especially if it's external validation.

Specifically for WG fiction, use the genre restrictions to try stuff and see what works for you. Discord and DeviantArt are great for that - you can post little things and see how you and others feel about it instead of spending weeks trying to get everything right. Especially for short WG fiction - it's the clay ** thing: you're going to do better if you spend a month making 100 clay pots instead of using the whole month to perfect one clay **. (And since there's kind of an accepted "thing happens, person gets fat, ???, profit" structure, you're working with a safety net of sorts, because eventually the thing is going to happen, the person is going to get fat, you did what it said on the tin, and hooray, the end. It's your choice how complicated you want to make everything when a reader's expectations will primarily be "is this written in language I can easily understand?" and "does the person get fat?")

Worst case scenario: you pat yourself on the back for doing your best and go look at pictures of hot, fat people.
You got this, and good luck.

This was an excellent read and super helpful, thank you so much!

On 3/9/2021 at 8:21 PM, >_< 0_0 said:

I would like to read what you’ve got! Post it or link it and I will be able to see where you’re at and then I can dm you about what works

Sorry, I haven't written anything of significant length in a very long time. All I have currently are ideas ,bullet-points and ephemera. Something about making the leap to the first sentence brings me to a screeching halt creatively. Hopefully I can get something thrown together soon... Sorry again.

Thanks everyone for the advice!