I run an insta...for bugs

Cakes In Cambridge

So, we all know what it's like, right? You snap the perfect photo: the lighting is 🔥, the pose is 👌, and you know the exact right filter...and then you realise that there's an antenna in the way!

That's right folks: Bugs need some love too! And I know a lot of people don't like getting too close to them IRL, so I take photos of them in jungles and in the UK, and run a bug instagram account. 

It looks a little something like this:

I'm really hoping to find other chub-loving, camera-toting, bug-nerds. They must exist. Right, folks? Folks?      🦗🦗🦗

(ps. I can also tell you why your favourite bug is better than everyone else's. Just name the bug).

Instagrambles.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 11:55 PM, SwedishButterball said:

Dungbeetle. I would fight a bitch trying to tell me that the dungbeetle is not the baddest bug out there. 

Their life revolves around poop.

You're right for three reasons:

1 - The reason you listed - They're really into poop, and who are we to kink-shame?

2 - They're the only invertebrates known to navigate using the stars.

3 - They include the strongest insect (relative to its size) which can haul about 1100x its own weight in...you guessed it...poop. 

On February 25, 2021 at 6:55 PM, SwedishButterball said:

Dungbeetle. I would fight a bitch trying to tell me that the dungbeetle is not the baddest bug out there. 

Their life revolves around poop.

I don't know.  Have you had close encounters with the House Centipede?. It's like if Tim Burton could create an insect.  @Cakes In Cambridge Do you have house centipedes to photograph in the UK?

13 hours ago, ShoeshineBoy said:

I don't know.  Have you had close encounters with the House Centipede?. It's like if Tim Burton could create an insect.  @Cakes In Cambridge Do you have house centipedes to photograph in the UK?

You mean Mr Nightmare? No, we don't have them in the UK. I have come across them when working in the US though. Pretty cool creatures. Favourite fact: They like to inject SO MUCH VENOM when they bite prey animals (moths, spiders, etc.) that their jaws weren't big enough to hold their venom glands, so instead they just sharpened up their first pair of legs to be biting spikes. 

I once had a 10inch jungle centipede run out from under the mat I was sleeping on when I lived in Cameroon. That scared the ever-loving bejesus out of me. Did not sleep well. Would not recommend. 

I have a hard time even looking at that photo.  How someone can hold that lightning fast critter baffles me.  I want to say that house centipedes disturb me more than a 10 inch long jungle centipede, but I haven't encountered one of those...yet.  I'll say one good thing about them, they keep the house pretty much clean of other insects.  

• 1 month later...