Acclaimed new novel out that’s basically just erotic lesbian weight gain

Siodmak

There’s this new book out, Milk Fed, by Melissa Broder, that’s basically just a piece of lesbian weight gain erotic literature. The summary is thus:

“Rachel is twenty-four, a lapsed Jew who has made calorie restriction her religion. By day, she maintains an illusion of existential control, by way of obsessive food rituals, while working as an underling at a Los Angeles talent management agency. At night, she pedals nowhere on the elliptical machine. Rachel is content to carry on subsisting—until her therapist encourages her to take a ninety-day communication detox from her mother, who raised her in the tradition of calorie counting.”

“Early in the detox, Rachel meets Miriam, a zaftig young Orthodox Jewish woman who works at her favorite frozen yogurt shop and is intent upon feeding her. Rachel is suddenly and powerfully entranced by Miriam—by her sundaes and her body, her faith and her family—and as the two grow closer, Rachel embarks on a journey marked by mirrors, mysticism, mothers, milk, and honey.”

It’s been acclaimed by publications like The New York Times, Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, the Oprah Magazine, Publisher’s Weekly, New York Magazine, and Kirkus Reviews. In other words, it’s a big fucking deal. I picked up the ebook and in other hands this would be the plot of half the stuff on Deviantart, Fantasy Feeder, Dimensions, or here, yet it’s definitely a really literary novel, full of graphic descriptions of eating disorders, thoughtful reflections on Jewishness, and satire of Hollywood and diet culture, but at it’s heart it’s celebrating female weight gain and the sensual lusty pleasures of eating, getting fat, and having a fat girlfriend. I’d recommend it even to those outside the feederism community, it’s a good read. 

Some professional reviews copied from the Amazon listing:

A delicious new novel that ravishes with sex and food... Broder has a rare ability to ground her fantasy in reality without undermining her imaginative vision, making it feel personal and raw and relatable... with humanity, sardonic wit, and erotic scenes so potent that the heat of my blushing face made my NYC-apartment radiator’s seem tepid,  Milk-Fed vividly evokes the lives of each woman, so that we’re fully invested in them." 
—Kera Bolonik, Boston Globe 

"A romp... a pageant of bodily juices and exploratory fingers and moan after moan of delight... [from] a wild, wicked mind." 
—Hillary Kelly, The Los Angeles Times 

"Explores hunger in all its permutations through the eyes of Rachel, who begins a romance with a woman who works at the frozen yogurt shop she frequents. As their relationship deepens, so does Rachel’s capacity for nourishment and pleasure, bodily and spiritually."  
The New York Times 

“A revelation...Melissa Broder has produced one of the strangest and sexiest novels of the new year...exhilarating.” 
—Leah Greenblatt, Entertainment Weekly  

“Deeply hilarious and embarrassingly relatable.” 
—Samantha Irby, author of Wow, No Thank You 

"Milk Fed hits that sweet spot where pleasure and tension intersect, where the sumptuous exploration of sexuality and spirit meets the rigidities of culture and society. Strange and surreal, Broder's writing is a marvel of wit, heart, and thoughtful curiosity about the body and mind and how these things can overflow their boundaries to become utterly new." 
—Alexandra Kleeman, author of You Too Could Have a Body Like Mine 

Milk Fed is a novel of appetites; a luscious, heartbreaking story of self-discovery through the relentless pursuit of desire. I couldn’t get enough of this devastating and extremely sexy book.”  
—Carmen Maria Machado,  author of In the Dream House 

Broder's funny, semi-sweet writing will leave you ravenous for more." 
—The Week 

"Only Melissa Broder could dig into our obsessions, the ways our parents have ruined us, and blossoming queer love with such a bold panache." 
—Lit Hub 

"Few writers so innately understand or better capture the endless, palpable hunger that so many people carry around with them, day after day. This hunger is for food, for sex, for love, for compassion, for understanding, and it is this kind of ravenous appetite that Broder explores in her exultant new novel... riotously funny and perfectly profane."  
—Refinery 29 

"A dizzily compelling story of love, lust, addiction, faith, maternal longing, and...frozen yogurt... Broder’s sex writing is, as always, first-rate, but perhaps even more striking is her ability to lay bare the frantic interior calculus of disordered eating alongside the hypnotic pull of spirituality." 
—Vogue  

"A sensuous and delightfully delirious tale... Filled with an unadulterated filthiness that would make Philip Roth blush, Broder's latest is a devour-it-in-one-sitting wonder.” 
—O, The Oprah Magazine 

"Bold, wry, and delightfully dirty... Broder is a formidable writer. She captures all the sticky sweetness, the pleasurable tensions between yearning and satiation...  a sad, funny romp about learning to let yourself want what you want." 
—Kirkus 

"Spell-caster Broder guides readers through this seriously tender tale of transformation with seamless humor and staggering smarts: it contains multitudes. An empathic, enrapturing, unputdownable novel of faith, sex, love, and nurture." 
Booklist, starred review 

"With luscious descriptions of delectable foods and fantastical romps through imagination,  Milk Fed oscillates between serious and playful, obsessive and free, and explores the difficulties of loving oneself in a world that prizes thinness above all else. This poignant exploration of desire, religion, and daughterhood is hard to resist.” 
Publishers Weekly 

So yeah, this is mainstream now. 

• 1 year later...

So I actually listened to this and in my humble opinion you’re going to find wg stories that are leagues better than this (and free) in the places where we already read them. SpoileR alert if you ever read this but I think the main character only mentions a thirteen pound gain. There are some ok steamy scene descriptions but those were heavily overshadowed by hit or miss jokes, lots of unexpected dialogue about the Israel-Palestine conflict, and the main character mentioning her desire to eat her partners shit. I’d say stick to curvage and  deviantart for your wg stories…

On 7/3/2022 at 5:57 PM, 69dudebro said:

So I actually listened to this and in my humble opinion you’re going to find wg stories that are leagues better than this (and free) in the places where we already read them. SpoileR alert if you ever read this but I think the main character only mentions a thirteen pound gain. There are some ok steamy scene descriptions but those were heavily overshadowed by hit or miss jokes, lots of unexpected dialogue about the Israel-Palestine conflict, and the main character mentioning her desire to eat her partners shit. I’d say stick to curvage and  deviantart for your wg stories…

Small steps usually proceed the giant leap into a subculture. The good news is things are much more palatable and streamlined in the movie version of novel.. which I think is the next expected move for the publishers.  A thirteen pound gain is hard to show on screen; it'll probably have to be at least 30 lbs.

I'd cast either Aya Cash or Natalie Portman as the thin (at first) girl and then get Jonah Hill's sister for the feeder chick.

On 7/3/2022 at 6:57 PM, 69dudebro said:

I mean, it’s a piece of comic literature about an unlikeable mentally ill character first and foremost.