Women Who Delete Their Older (Thinner) Pictures from Social Media

Little Miss Cake

There's something I've noticed happen again and again on social media.

It's always a thrill to scroll backward in time down a girl's social media page and see the weight melt off; thrilling because of what it means in reverse. Whenever I do come across the profile of someone who's gained weight, I bookmark it.

Thing is, sometimes when I come back their page, all the older photos from when they were thin have been deleted, leaving behind only their current, larger selves.

And it makes me wonder about their reasoning... Is it less shameful to have always been fat than to have been thin and become fat? The body positive and fat acceptance movement has made great strides in recent years toward dismantling fatphobia but I guess weight gain phobia is harder to shake off. Nevertheless, 2020, with its quarantines and lockdowns, has led to many bloggers, activists and influencers to begin working on destigmatizing and normalizing weight gain.

there is some of that... social media is becoming so big that there is a bit of everything as well. i love of course the proud bbws, ssbbw if possible, liberated and flaunting their curves and how freely they eat whatever they want. i like as well the healthy gains, from super skinny to fit or chubby but normal curves. and i am somewhat impressed by how many people think they are defined by their bodies and are really proud about having losing 'x' amount of curves. it is something a bit difficult to comprehend but there are so many people out there that i am sure it is not something about media celebrating thin bodies. big digital world we have 

I think there is the unferlying narrative that being fat and then losing weight is a sign of good character because you "got your shit together". People get congratulated a lot for that. On the ohter hand being thin and getting fat is seen as losing control and a going on a downwards spiral, so on top of the possible humiliation they face for being fat they face the additional humiliation of the whole "Oh my God, she used to be so hot, what happened to her? She got huge. It's like she stopped trying. She must be depressed or something". And let's face it, a lot of people love a hot girl getting fat from a schadenfreude angle.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gorJESS
On 12/27/2020 at 8:24 AM, You have a gut said:

a lot of people love a hot girl getting fat from a schadenfreude angle

Unwell people. 🙃