Guitar!!

Guest laurenlush

Guest laurenlush

Thinking of picking up the guitar again...

I wasn’t incredible when I played years ago but I think it’d be amazing to get back into it and potentially take lessons!

who plays?
Any tips for a not-so beginner that’s beginning again? Haha!  

4 hours ago, laurenlush said:

I wasn’t incredible when I played years ago but I think it’d be amazing to get back into it and potentially take lessons!

who plays?
Any tips for a not-so beginner that’s beginning again? Haha!  

You definitely should pick it up again!!! It’s always good to add something to your list of hobbies!

I played a little guitar in the Rockband/Guitar Hero games back in the day lol, but unfortunately I don’t know how to play a real one 😬

Guest laurenlush
4 hours ago, Whatsup1234 said:

You definitely should pick it up again!!! It’s always good to add something to your list of hobbies!

I played a little guitar in the Rockband/Guitar Hero games back in the day lol, but unfortunately I don’t know how to play a real one 😬

Learn with me! 
we can make our own band! Lol

oh my god, I used to be OBSESSED with Rockband.... 

I think throughout all the years of my playing, if anybody asked me for any tips, the most important one to start off with would be playing slowly when learning a new riff or chord. If you can play it slowly you can play it fast and that's a popular motto. Get a teacher if possible, I myself learnt the guitar from ear and by myself, even though I persevered, it took way longer than it would've taken with a teacher helping me out with a bespoke learning experience. I'm not kidding if you can get access to Rocksmith, that also counts as a teacher and is a severely underrated game/tool.

The priority lessons you'll need to learn are your scales, basic chords and strumming patterns. Get those out of the way and you're able to play a majority of songs that are out there. Never regret picking up the guitar myself as it's just a fun, therapeutic and creative outlet, even play bass guitar too as it only has the same fundamental principles as the acoustic or electric guitar.

Also low key the best part about playing guitars is the guitar collecting, shamelessly sharing some of mine over the years!

marauder.thumb.jpg.14c9b462feaad8df3207a5067456830b.jpg

epiphone.thumb.jpg.2be97f9e23f32804651f55e098e328e0.jpg

gibson.thumb.jpg.b82b11993980b7cd93cec0c4c8b7ed3b.jpg

gretsch.thumb.jpg.647212e336e52060ac79cceba3ccf397.jpg

telly.thumb.jpg.c3c229edfdcc91b91710625c86dd87bf.jpg

Guest laurenlush
8 minutes ago, Synthesis said:

I think throughout all the years of my playing, if anybody asked me for any tips, the most important one to start off with would be playing slowly when learning a new riff or chord. If you can play it slowly you can play it fast and that's a popular motto. Get a teacher if possible, I myself learnt the guitar from ear and by myself, even though I persevered, it took way longer than it would've taken with a teacher helping me out with a bespoke learning experience. I'm not kidding if you can get access to Rocksmith, that also counts as a teacher and is a severely underrated game/tool.

The priority lessons you'll need to learn are your scales, basic chords and strumming patterns. Get those out of the way and you're able to play a majority of songs that are out there. Never regret picking up the guitar myself as it's just a fun, therapeutic and creative outlet, even play bass guitar too as it only has the same fundamental principles as the acoustic or electric guitar.

Also low key the best part about playing guitars is the guitar collecting, shamelessly sharing some of mine over the years!

marauder.thumb.jpg.14c9b462feaad8df3207a5067456830b.jpg

epiphone.thumb.jpg.2be97f9e23f32804651f55e098e328e0.jpg

gibson.thumb.jpg.b82b11993980b7cd93cec0c4c8b7ed3b.jpg

gretsch.thumb.jpg.647212e336e52060ac79cceba3ccf397.jpg

telly.thumb.jpg.c3c229edfdcc91b91710625c86dd87bf.jpg

Holy smokes!

that is a BEAUTIFUL COLLECTION!

😍😍😍😍

thank you for taking the time to give me pointers! 

• Curvage Model
16 hours ago, laurenlush said:

I'm kind of in a similar boat!  I've picked mine up and put it down a few times over the years.  My goal is to be able to at least get good enough at rhythm that I can accompany myself when singing.

5 hours ago, Synthesis said:

Ooh, what's Rocksmith?

Guest laurenlush
7 minutes ago, Miss September said:

I'm kind of in a similar boat!  I've picked mine up and put it down a few times over the years.  My goal is to be able to at least get good enough at rhythm that I can accompany myself when singing.

Ooh, what's Rocksmith?

Agreed! That was my downfall. I could play well but the moment I tried to sing along I couldn’t keep proper rhythm and it done me nuts!!

Guest laurenlush
15 minutes ago, Miss September said:

We'll just have to team up and accompany each other, lol.

Oh my Gosh, YES! I would love to. 
I love hearing others sing and play! 
what do you like to play? 

• Curvage Model

Well I'm definitely still more on the learning end than the playing end.  Have you seen the movie Once?  I want to be the female version of Glen Hansard, haha.  Just bleeding everywhere through song. That's the best way I can think to put it. 
Here's a kind of shitty clip:

Watch to the end 😊

I've used a metronome to help cover up my occasional lack of an internal sense of rhythm or timing if you will. A lot of vocalists or instrumentalists swear by them for when they're getting a little aggravated by their rhythm that's all over the place. Never really had the motivation for singing sadly despite friends who've for years tried egging me on, grew up with a close group of really good friends in a band back during school days, they've taken it a lot more seriously and have all gone into the music industry while I just consider mine a creative hobby or mind therapy.

6 minutes ago, Gaelic Steve said:

I play a bit of guitar and sing. 

High Five The Office GIF

58 minutes ago, Miss September said:

Ooh, what's Rocksmith?

Simply put it's a much more sophisticated Guitar Hero which acts as a virtual tutor, it comes with a guitar jack to USB converter allowing you to play with your own personal guitar. Comes with a huge library of popular songs rated by difficulty, songs are broken down too so you're not being rushed to learn the entire song in one sitting. Comes on all the consoles as well as the PC and I've seen a lot of people who I've suggested it to have great success with it 😁

• Curvage Model
27 minutes ago, Synthesis said:

Simply put it's a much more sophisticated Guitar Hero which acts as a virtual tutor, it comes with a guitar jack to USB converter allowing you to play with your own personal guitar. Comes with a huge library of popular songs rated by difficulty, songs are broken down too so you're not being rushed to learn the entire song in one sitting. Comes on all the consoles as well as the PC and I've seen a lot of people who I've suggested it to have great success with it 😁

I can learn guitar AND play a video game?? 😭 I'm so happy.

I play.  I took lessons for somewhere around five years and I recommend lessons for two reasons.  First, it will help force you to pick up a bit of theory.  Second, you will have someone to play guitar with who can immediately correct any issues.  The lessons can be short, but they help provide direction.  You still mostly learn independently.

So, if I were to guess, you are interested in learning to play rhythm guitar on an acoustic while singing.  Am I correct?  I think one of the best songs to start with is Glycerine by Bush.  The guitar part is very simple and, other than the singing, it drives the song...it's distinct.  I am curious to know what songs you use to play.

As for buying a guitar, personally, I would buy a Craigslist or yard sale guitar to learn on for a few months, then spend a little more money on a better guitar later once you know you are going to stick with it.

Currently, I am learning again.  I am newly trying to learn to play flamenco style on a flamenco guitar, and I am starting over with basics.

I play and while I apreciate the great wealth of information available for teching yourself I think that the biggest advantage to having a teacher is learning how to play with other people. While it is satisfying to be able to acompany yourself or even to learn fingerstyle and truely be able to play solo arangements there is very little that can compare with the experience of creating music with other human beings. 

With that said I think that there is also a lot to be said for the solo journey you take with your intrument, getting to know the sounds that it makes just by playing around in ignorance. The most important thing is to just sit and play in a way that brings you joy and satisfaction. Dont worry about "sucking" at first. Toddlers dont get embrassed aboit not being able to run, we all have to start at the beginning.

• Curvage Model
14 hours ago, ShoeshineBoy said:

So, if I were to guess, you are interested in learning to play rhythm guitar on an acoustic while singing.  Am I correct?  I think one of the best songs to start with is Glycerine by Bush.  The guitar part is very simple and, other than the singing, it drives the song...it's distinct.  I am curious to know what songs you use to play.

That does seem like a great song to learn with!  I've never heard it on acoustic, I'm very intrigued.

34 minutes ago, boss frond said:

I play and while I apreciate the great wealth of information available for teching yourself I think that the biggest advantage to having a teacher is learning how to play with other people. While it is satisfying to be able to acompany yourself or even to learn fingerstyle and truely be able to play solo arangements there is very little that can compare with the experience of creating music with other human beings. 

100% agree. In my hometown I sang with a few other musical friends playing torch covers at random bar gigs. (Our pianist was named Bill and we were all born on holidays, so we called ourselves Billy and the Holidays😋) Performing together was incredible every time, even though I have terrible stage nerves.  I really miss it!  Not sure how to replicate such a thing in my new town. 😞 Partially why I want to learn guitar so I can start solo and get myself into the scene again.

Edited by Miss September

• 3 weeks later...
Guest laurenlush

I’m officially looking into buying a new acoustic! 
mom so excited to get back into it! 
(I also think I’m going to try the ukulele and see how I like it as well!)

wish me luck! 

• 1 year later...

Hey! Professional guitarist here! My answer whenever I see someone on the fence about picking up guitar is always YES! as far as tips go, a great practice strategy is (at least for me in the beginning and for those I've given lessons to) was to use a metronome and go all the way back to the basics, picking chord shapes and picking patterns and starting slow, increasing the metronome by 10 to 20 bpm every few measures. It's super simple, but it's fantastic for building muscle memory and picking accuracy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks all for sharing the helpful content , I am also "rebeginner" and this time is the time! I have taken it up as a new years resolution and have been getting some good practice every day.
I've started to play finger-style jazz and blues on the electric guitar having played acoustic guitar. I've read a bunch on compressor pedals here, and still don't know if I need one. Kindly suggest me.