Hey, y'know that miracle weight gain drug everyone asks about on here...

Garlic

... Well it turns out that it has been in disguise all along as a migraine drug...

Here's a post I've ripped from http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/563758-pizotifen-has-anyone-managed-to-stop-taking-this-for-migraine/AllOnOnePage

Just did a quick search on Pizotifen as I've been having a nightmare.

I've been on it for 7 weeks now and gained 17 pounds. Really p*ed off, too, because I'd lost over 5 stone with Slimming World but in the last couple of months I found my 'willpower' just disappeared and I was hungry all the time. Then I got into the guilt cycle of kicking myself because I wasn't succeeding anymore.

Anyway, did a search on Pizotifen and found this quote here : http://multinationalmonitor.org/hyper/issues/1984/10/marketing.html

^"The active ingredient in the Sandoz range of appetite stimulants is a drug called pizotifen (U.S.: pizotyline). Though Sandoz sells pizotifen in many Third World countries under the brand name Mosegor (for weight gain), in other countries, Sandoz sells the same drug under the name Sanomigran, as a treatment for migraine. The contrast in the promotion of these two products is striking.

In promoting pizotifen for weight gain, Sandoz trumpets patients' "highly effective" response, with "very good" stimulation of appetite in nearly 8 out of 10 cases, and claims significant weight gain for 9 patients out of 10.

When Sandoz promotes pizotifen for the treatment of migraine, however, all references to weight gain and appetite stimulation appear in small print, under the heading "side effects." One Sandoz publication on Sanomigran observes only that "a slight increase in body weight is observed in some patients. This is due to increased appetite."^.

Needless to say I'm not a happy bunny and marched off to get an appointment to see my doctor about an alternative. Why would a GP who told me I needed to lose weight in the first place prescribe me this? I used to take Maxalt Melt which were fab. I wanna go back

My mother in law has just started talking it in December and has already gained 9 pounds. Her colleague from work took it for a year and gained 4 stone. Went from size 8 to size 20-22. Now she's going to the doctor to contain.

Any way if you can't be bothered to read it all, here's the short story, the same drug being proscribed for migraines in western world, is being proscribed in Africa to combat malnutrition and clinical anorexia. I think I read that 80-90% chance of gaining 3 stone in a year.

... Well it turns out that it has been in disguise all along as a migraine drug...

Here's a post I've ripped from http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/563758-pizotifen-has-anyone-managed-to-stop-taking-this-for-migraine/AllOnOnePage

My mother in law has just started talking it in December and has already gained 9 pounds. Her colleague from work took it for a year and gained 4 stone. Went from size 8 to size 20-22. Now she's going to the doctor to contain.

Any way if you can't be bothered to read it all, here's the short story, the same drug being proscribed for migraines in western world, is being proscribed in Africa to combat malnutrition and clinical anorexia. I think I read that 80-90% chance of gaining 3 stone in a year.

I think the idea of taking drugs to induce weight gain is pretty weird, but I'm also confused as to why they'd prescribe it for malnutrition in Africa. It makes people gain weight because it enhances appetite; how on earth can giving it to people who don't have enough food do anything but increase their sense of starvation? I don't think it's a lack of appetite that makes Africans starve...

I think the idea of taking drugs to induce weight gain is pretty weird, but I'm also confused as to why they'd prescribe it for malnutrition in Africa. It makes people gain weight because it enhances appetite; how on earth can giving it to people who don't have enough food do anything but increase their sense of starvation? I don't think it's a lack of appetite that makes Africans starve...

It increases appetite in almost every case but it also stimulates weight gain independently of calorie intake. But with westerners having infinite supply of of calorific food and then aptitude stimulates PLUS weight gain anyway, that's a recipe for.... Fat? Yeah. I'm gonna go with recipe for fat.

And here I was thinking someone said something nice about my post... Thank you wilan for pointing out the shortcomings of my mobile device.  :P

Well, you realise that having posted this in Serious Discussion, you must be rigorous in your thinking and in how you communicate your thoughts.

Too bad I'm not malnutritioned or suffer from migraines lol.

Anyways, Birth Control pills are also known to stimulate weight gain as well... Most of the time either because the appetite is greater, or the way the body stores weight may be a bit different as well.

Too bad I'm not malnutritioned or suffer from migraines lol.

Anyways, Birth Control pills are also known to stimulate weight gain as well... Most of the time either because the appetite is greater, or the way the body stores weight may be a bit different as well.

You could lie about the migraines.... Weight gain and increased appetite are pretty much the only 'negative' side effects. I think tiredness happens less often.

Guest pockets

Question, is this avaliable at any pharmacy?

Would kind of like to give it to my coworker and see what happens to her

CREEP ALERT. Jesus.

Question, is this avaliable at any pharmacy?

Would kind of like to give it to my coworker and see what happens to her

These drugs are prescription only in UK and USA. Don't know for sure about anywhere else but I'd confidently guess that they're prescription only everywhere. They could do brain damage if used incorrectly. They effect the body neurologically.

Please allow me to say, for the record, that, although I'm the OP, I don't condone the use of this drug for recreational purposes. I was just looking up the side effects for someone and thought certain people on this board would enjoy reading about as it is a subject which comes up about 4 times per year. However, while I don't particularly agree with the potential illicit uses of this drug, you'll find no judgemental eyes from this direction. I believe Curvage is a bit of a safe haven to talk about stuff like this.

Guest deepfried

My advice would be screw the tablets, go straight for the illicit and roll a joint.

As for weight gaining on prescription drugs, I dated a girl who gained a good 60 pounds or so in a year and reckoned it was the antihistermines she was taking. Not that I was complaining, of course.

If it's prescription, the doctor referring it would no doubt discuss the matter with the patient.

GP didn't discuss it with my mother in law or her friend. But even if they did, is it still ok? Is it still a side effect when it is pretty much guaranteed to happen?

Guest CurvesAhead

He must be joking...right?

Given the sheer number of creeps who love to mix dangerous homebrewed anaesthetics into womens drinks to rape them while they're unconscious, this really shouldn't come as a surprise... it actually almost seems mild in comparison :P