Body positivity and child obesity

Guest You have a belly

Guest You have a belly

Can't find the link right now, but I read an article by a female fat acceptance activist and academic where she basically advocated for stopping the fight on child obesity. She basically said children should be allowed to eat whatever they want, they shouldn't be weighed and they shouldn't be forced to exercize. Her thesis was that those measures are psychologically haurtful for the children and make them hate themselves, and she also argued that the health dangers of obesity have been exaggerated.

On one hand it makes sense to extend body positivity to children, since they're even more sensitive than adults to low self-esteem. On the other hand, with rising rates of child obesity and overweight, should we stop considering it a health hazard for the sake of the children's mental health? Isn't her position too extreme?

• Curvage Model

I have a very very firm position on this. I think it is absolutely the parents responsibility to make sure their child is healthy and off to a good start in life.  What they do with their bodies after they are adults is their choice.  Bottom line is that, physically, being overweight is unhealthy.  And yes, being underweight is as well- that isnt the argument. I am fat, obviously.  I eat horribly, obviously... but the kids in my life eat very well and are very healthy weight-wise.  Sure, body positivity is great at every age.  I couldnt agree more when it comes to mental health. However, body positivity is not setting your child with a bag of chips in front of the TV.  Body positivity is loving yourself no matter what.  Health, physically and health mentally are different topics and shouldnt be exchanged for one another.  I think its extremely possible to encourage healthy behaviors in a child while never ever messing with their mental health. Children dont need to think of their healthy eating habits and the habit of "exercise" (literally playing, running around for kids) as bad nor do they need to think of any adults body as bad or good.  Be your childs advocate and give them the best start to life that you possibly can and in all aspects of child rearing- theyll do what they want as an adult anyway.  

• Curvage Model

How controversial is the article, I'm curious?

The war on obesity has been pretty absurd through and through. In most cases, attempts to pressure and push fat children to be thin have completely backfired, most often by creating a longterm cycle of dieting that damages their metabolism.

Weight, imo, is also fairly irrelevant, and I can't think of any reason why children should be weighed at school. Unless you're overdoing it, there isn't anyone out there who seriously claims that exercise is harmful. It's generally pretty great for you. If you're forcing it on kids as an act of discipline, though, don't expect great results. It's better to show them how it can be an enjoyable part of life.

Lastly, when it comes to nutrition and diet: parents should focus on nourishing their children and making sure they're eating an abundance of healthful foods. It's a parent's right to run a no junk food, no sugar house. It's not what I would do personally. I grew up eating regular healthy meals, but I also wasn't restricted from sweets, junk and fast food. I grew up without any major disordered eating as well as indulged in fattening foods while nonetheless remaining healthy and slim. Sure I'm gaining weight now... but that's through intention. 😉

Without reading her article, I can't say if I find her positions too extreme. They may not necessarily be so. I should note, however, that I don't have children nor have any direct responsibility for children, so this topic is pretty far removed from my life.

• Curvage Model

Also, is this the article you're talking about?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/13/opinion/sunday/childhood-obesity-health.html?auth=link-dismiss-google1tap

I don't find her position too extreme. She's criticizing these campaigns for having little to do with health. Their primary drive is to induce weight loss as if its a panacea to poor health, akin to when fat adults visit their doctor for health issues completely unrelated to their size but their doctor just tells them to lose weight.

Her argument is more about shifting to being pro-health rather than anti-fat.

Guest You have a belly
43 minutes ago, sugarbutt said:

Also, is this the article you're talking about?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/13/opinion/sunday/childhood-obesity-health.html?auth=link-dismiss-google1tap

I don't find her position too extreme. She's criticizing these campaigns for having little to do with health. Their primary drive is to induce weight loss as if its a panacea to poor health, akin to when fat adults visit their doctor for health issues completely unrelated to their size but their doctor just tells them to lose weight.

Her argument is more about shifting to being pro-health rather than anti-fat.

Not the same precise article, or at least media outlet, but it might well be the same author, I don't know. The author of the article I read was Australian. In any case, yeah, it's basically the same thesis.

it is always a delicate line and it is easier to see other people on the extreme. personally i do promote my lady to have a balanced diet and life, but i do prefer to see her on the heavy side. how heavy is healthy? well, it depends how you feel first of all. if you really feel like crap and you get out of breath after a few steps and you are under 40 well, probably something should change. kids eating candy everyday it is not something i would be happy to live with but there are better and wiser ways to enforce that. education about food and making peace with it may help, not just focus on battling the bulge. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest You have a belly
56 minutes ago, vpprof said:

I'm curious what you all think of this very old video concerning childhood obesity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9uSxsFrMps

I like how everything seemed so simple back in the '60s :D

Man, the world has changed so much in 60 years. A girl who would be considered thin today studied as some sort of rare psychiatric case. I wonder what they'd think today if they time-traveled to today's America. Nothing but morbidly obese people everywhere. Obese to an extent they'd never even imagine a human could get.

I think he's right about the emotional root though.

Yes, it is very uplifting in a way. To see that these problems can be addressed and perhaps solved to a certain extent. I'm not saying that's the case with every overweight person, I'm just saying I like the optimism of the video :)  

I think we'd do well to wage wars on toxic styles of parenting or creating relationships instead of "obesity" as such, or — better yet — not wage a war but run an information campaign. Or even teach "practical psychology" in schools? 🤔 

Guest You have a belly
24 minutes ago, vpprof said:

Yes, it is very uplifting in a way. To see that these problems can be addressed and perhaps solved to a certain extent. I'm not saying that's the case with every overweight person, I'm just saying I like the optimism of the video :)  

I think we'd do well to wage wars on toxic styles of parenting or creating relationships instead of "obesity" as such, or — better yet — not wage a war but run an information campaign. Or even teach "practical psychology" in schools? 🤔 

Her mom seems like the textbook narcissistic mother and the father seems like the textbook harsh emotionally unavailable father. Note how they cut her down as soon as she started to express a semblance of self-esteem.

Teaching children to worry about their weight does not work. Statistically speaking, it backfires. Being mildly overweight is not a problem. Obesity is a risk factor that should be addressed in adulthood.

Everyone needs exercise, including children. Children should be able to eat as much as they want, but it should mostly be healthy food.

It doesn't make sense to focus on weight. The important thing is developing healthy habits. Some people are going to be fat, and that is fine, usually they can address associated chronic illnesses later in life.