Thread Follows Spam Mail

pacco

Hi, just a thought. Every time you go to follow a thread the default setting is to get an email every day with updates about the thread. Why?

This is really old-fashioned and incredibly spammy. I think it would be better to have the default being no email alerts. We have alerts and our own personal activity feeds anyway. Email is outdated.

I'm not even sure it's legal to have that as the default setting for users in the EU & UK under GDPR, under which presumed or pre-checked consent to send email, physical mail or phone calls is not allowed.

That looks good, but it still seems like the default when I follow a thread is for one email per day. 

Is this overridden by the global setting in my account? 

Even if it is, I still think it's the wrong way around. Following is one level of notifications, an email is another.

It's not like we are one time visitors to an e-commerce website. We're all members here, why do we need to be automatically spammed for something we are already interested in?