Cyberpunk 2077; Playing as a fat girl in video games

Guest Verlorener

Guest Verlorener

This is mostly a topic for people who are ONLY attracted to fat/very chubby girls (I know I’m not the only one)

Cyberpunk 2077 is coming out soon and I’m really excited for it, but they’ve been super vague about whether you can customize your actual body shape, i.e. whether you can be fat. I always like to play as a girl in games, and obviously I want them to be at least somewhat attractive to me. They don’t have to gorgeous, but in the same way that average men aren’t lining up to see movies where all the actresses are fat, I don’t feel sensually intrigued by a story where all the women are thin. And in a game about sex, drugs and vice, that can be a real buzzkill. So I’m really worried about my ability to enjoy this gaming being hindered by this one detail. 

SO, my question to you guys is this; do you feel alienated when big, narrative-heavy games with hundreds of characters don’t include any fat women? Are you able to get into the story despite the fact that you are basically rendered asexual in that game’s world?  Do you think the game will accommodate people like us?

7CD38806-F4C9-4B7D-A68A-4E1B0A5E8E51.jpeg

Guest Verlorener
7 hours ago, Batman76 said:

to me? No. Although I like if there's options, Saints Row had the best ones for it, and if there's NPCs of different sizes (i.e. yennifer in the witcher should have been big)

Fair enough, but how do you cope with it? For me it’s not just about any one game. It’s about the fact that I NEVER see a woman I find at all appealing in any game, except maybe a couple of nameless fat civilians in GTA and Hitman.

And saints row was decent, but the character still has a weirdly flat stomach and thigh gap no matter how fat you are. No back rolls, big hips, spare tire- nothin. They always censor out the stuff that I actually like about fat women and instead make them look like inflated versions of thin women. 

I'm not only attracted to fat women but I will admit that the extreme thinness of women in popular entertainment means that very little that is supposed to be titillating in entertainment really does anything for me and a lot of it is patently unpleasant. I have always found written stories to be the most fulfilling form of entertainment and in those I usually edit character descriptions in my mind.  Plus you're more likely to get a straight up plump female character in a novel. I don't have a lot of free time for reading anymore so that kind of sucks. Hopefully someday I'll be able to read as much as I used to.

As for video games... I'm not a big gamer (again, not much free time and I didn't really grow up with it the way most people my age did). I'm pretty sure I'll never play a game that I enjoyed more than Majora's Mask on N64. But I have friends in the AAA game industry and the amount of work that goes into these things is staggering (which I am sure you know). I don't think that the people who run things are willing to spend more time and more money on adding things that will have limited appeal. In fact I think that the people who run things are mostly tech industry types who abhor and fear fatness. So you end being able to "inflate" the basic model, but they aren't going to develop a whole new model to appeal to this community.

I'm not saying that what you hope for will never happen but, I wouldn't get my hopes up for the near future. At least there are studios out there that leave their games wide open for modding because they know that over time passionate and talented people will make the game better than they ever could have in a reasonable development period. 

I do hope I'm wrong!

Guest Verlorener
1 hour ago, boss frond said:

I'm not only attracted to fat women but I will admit that the extreme thinness of women in popular entertainment means that very little that is supposed to be titillating in entertainment really does anything for me and a lot of it is patently unpleasant. I have always found written stories to be the most fulfilling form of entertainment and in those I usually edit character descriptions in my mind.  Plus you're more likely to get a straight up plump female character in a novel. I don't have a lot of free time for reading anymore so that kind of sucks. Hopefully someday I'll be able to read as much as I used to.

As for video games... I'm not a big gamer (again, not much free time and I didn't really grow up with it the way most people my age did). I'm pretty sure I'll never play a game that I enjoyed more than Majora's Mask on N64. But I have friends in the AAA game industry and the amount of work that goes into these things is staggering (which I am sure you know). I don't think that the people who run things are willing to spend more time and more money on adding things that will have limited appeal. In fact I think that the people who run things are mostly tech industry types who abhor and fear fatness. So you end being able to "inflate" the basic model, but they aren't going to develop a whole new model to appeal to this community.

I'm not saying that what you hope for will never happen but, I wouldn't get my hopes up for the near future. At least there are studios out there that leave their games wide open for modding because they know that over time passionate and talented people will make the game better than they ever could have in a reasonable development period. 

I do hope I'm wrong!

I’m in graduate school now so I’m slammed with tons of reading every day, ironically. But before that, I spent a year trying to get a job as a concept artist and couldn’t get hired. But now that I’ve totally abandoned that life path, it’s easier for me to be honest with myself and say that, because my favorite thing to draw is fat women, I probably would not have been happy in that industry. I wouldn’t have been able to put my “heart and soul” into my characters, so to speak. 
So why do you think tech industry types are fatphobic? I’ve never heard that before and I’d be interested to know what you’re referring to. 

22 minutes ago, Verlorener said:

I’m in graduate school now so I’m slammed with tons of reading every day, ironically. But before that, I spent a year trying to get a job as a concept artist and couldn’t get hired. But now that I’ve totally abandoned that life path, it’s easier for me to be honest with myself and say that, because my favorite thing to draw is fat women, I probably would not have been happy in that industry. I wouldn’t have been able to put my “heart and soul” into my characters, so to speak. 
So why do you think tech industry types are fatphobic? I’ve never heard that before and I’d be interested to know what you’re referring to. 

Well I used to live in LA and I've had a lot of contact with those types. But I want to be clear, the people that I am friends with are cool and I think would be open to and understand these things. The people I am painting as being fatphobic are the people who actually make the money decisions.

Eating disorders and exercise addiction are treated as paths to enlightenment among a lot of these people. I'm painting with broad strokes here but I think I'm being fairly accurate. It's not the main thing preventing fat characters in video games but it's another stumbling block. I think that the main thing is that it is viewed as requiring a not insignificant amount of money for very little added profit. The work hours on these kinds of games is huge, and to make a fat body look as good as a thin or muscular one would require a significant amount of work. That's why the best you get is just the thinner models with weird proportions. They just don't really believe that many people would want to play as a fat character.

I'm probably being a little bit too broad, but I think it is a factor. At the end of the day if they spend a portion of their budget on something like that eventually they are going to have to answer to some guy who thinks it's disgusting and weird that anyone would even be interested in playing as a character like that.

Guest Verlorener
44 minutes ago, boss frond said:

I'm probably being a little bit too broad, but I think it is a factor. At the end of the day if they spend a portion of their budget on something like that eventually they are going to have to answer to some guy who thinks it's disgusting and weird that anyone would even be interested in playing as a character like that.

Ugh, that’s what irks me the most. Half the population of the USA is overweight and a third are obese, yet the people with the final say in media still think it’s disgusting and weird to like people like that. If people didn’t like fat girls, I would have found a girlfriend by now. There would be a LOT more fat girls available and desperate for men, but that’s not the reality. I’m always trying to explain to people why the lack of fat women in media made me feel like disgusting and weird as a kid, and people don’t get it. But it’s true. They ignore or make fun of fat and they make you feel totally embarrassed for what you like. It’s the reason I can never stop getting on my soapbox about this. 

Guest Verlorener
On 10/6/2020 at 3:20 PM, Batman76 said:

to me? No. Although I like if there's options, Saints Row had the best ones for it, and if there's NPCs of different sizes (i.e. yennifer in the witcher should have been big)

I wish I knew what it was like to find the romance option characters attractive below the neck. Must feel really different. Just imagine a TV show or a game where they all happened to be fat, but it wasn’t the main point of the show. That’s would be crazy. 

• Curvage Model

I can sympathize with and relate to all of this. After putting on some weight recently, especially after having been fairly slim all my life, I've become ever conscious of the size of other people around me, in real life and in media. Due to my insecurities, I've been feeling reassured and comforted by the presence of fatter people and more self-conscious and uncomfortable around thin people.

Besides all that, I've been on the lookout for some new games to play and.... yeah, finding myself a little put off by the endless supply of ultra-slim, super-fit physiques. Sadly, I think the video game industry is going to be the last place we're going to see much fat representation, and it's not going to happen until there are more women working within the industry.

I would be thrilled to get to play as a cute, fat girl. I'm sure the majority of developers and designers right now would find that laughable and "unrealistic," as video games tend to be mostly action and movement oriented and thus, in their minds, the realm of thin people. 

Guest Verlorener
7 hours ago, sugarbutt said:

I can sympathize with and relate to all of this. After putting on some weight recently, especially after having been fairly slim all my life, I've become ever conscious of the size of other people around me, in real life and in media. Due to my insecurities, I've been feeling reassured and comforted by the presence of fatter people and more self-conscious and uncomfortable around thin people.

Besides all that, I've been on the lookout for some new games to play and.... yeah, finding myself a little put off by the endless supply of ultra-slim, super-fit physiques. Sadly, I think the video game industry is going to be the last place we're going to see much fat representation, and it's not going to happen until there are more women working within the industry.

I would be thrilled to get to play as a cute, fat girl. I'm sure the majority of developers and designers right now would find that laughable and "unrealistic," as video games tend to be mostly action and movement oriented and thus, in their minds, the realm of thin people. 

I dealt with insane pressure to be thin as a kid. And as a man, I’ve started to cope with it by using my taste in women to my advantage. I try to just think about how much I like soft, fat women and then apply it to my own not-especially-skinny, not-especially-toned body in an abstract way. My profile pic is of Rose Quartz, a cute fat woman from Steven universe, and actually it was that show‘s positive portrayal of her that helped me start feeling better about myself and reject the pressure to be thinner. 

Ever since that show triggered something inside my head, something really strange happens to me when I look at thin, toned men. I still feel insecure and intimidated because I know how I will be judged compared to them- inferior, lazy, less deserving of love, and so on. But somehow, I no longer wish I looked like them. 2 years ago, gaining 20 lbs would have made me suicidal, whereas today I am still afraid of it, but also excited and tempted by the thought of it. In that sense I think I’m very lucky that I only like fat women. It must be tough for a fat woman to accept her own body if she still prefers athletic men. 

Edit; you know they say „nothing tastes as good as skinny feels“, but I many of us have figured out that’s bullshit. Staying at my thinnest weight was way more miserable than any insecurity I have felt prior to or since then. 

• Curvage Model
On 10/9/2020 at 1:10 AM, Verlorener said:

My profile pic is of Rose Quartz, a cute fat woman from Steven universe, and actually it was that show‘s positive portrayal of her that helped me start feeling better about myself and reject the pressure to be thinner. 

Steven Universe is one of my very favorite shows! And yeah, it does better than almost any other show at representing diverse body types.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 5:01 PM, sugarbutt said:

Some of it too is probably graphics. Like....you'd want to make it look real without it being insulting which is harder to do if you're all about running and action oriented games. I'm sure someone will but for AAA games it'll be a LONG time. 

Guest Verlorener
10 hours ago, podracer2 said:

Some of it too is probably graphics. Like....you'd want to make it look real without it being insulting which is harder to do if you're all about running and action oriented games. I'm sure someone will but for AAA games it'll be a LONG time. 

It’s about priorities and incentives; throughout history, this kind of technological innovation was always designed primarily for the people who are center stage in the media, and everybody else has to wait 10 to 15 years for their turn. “Dark skin? Sorry, that doesn’t photograph well. Female game protagonist? Too hard to animate. Realistic fat people? Maybe we’ll have the technology by next gen”. 
Just imagine, if the default protagonist in most video games was a fat black woman instead of a muscular white man, how insanely different would our technology be right now? The technological problem of jiggling fat would have been addressed far earlier. 

• 1 month later...
Guest Verlorener

Well, they don’t have any weight customization. But that’s alright because there are a trillion other things they didn’t deliver on anyway. It’s a cool game but they made it look 3 to 4 times more interesting and cinematic than it actually is.