Cooking

Guest AbeVanHelsing

Guest AbeVanHelsing

Any of you into cooking?  Do you have any go-to/favorite dishes you'd care to post here?  Given the nature of the site, do any of you ladies find it a major turn on if a guy's a competent cook, or has anyone ever cooked a huge meal and mutually pigged out with their significant other?

cooking is one of my favorite things to do.  my go to dishes are mostly Cajun/Creole fare, but I'm trying to learn to cook everything from basic southern comfort foods to Mexican and Asian cuisine. 

and yes, my love for cooking spills over into my love for seeing curvy girls get, well, curvier.  ;D

Guest muffinmaid

I love cooking and I love guys who can cook. My first boyfriend was a chef so I have been spoiled since day one. Some of my favorite things to make are cioppiono, honey walnut shrimp, and pad thai.

I'm not much of a chef, but I work as a prep cook at an upscale restaurant that specializes in New American, where I make tamales.  They are far from traditional though... Craziest thing I've ever made was a tamale filled with braised lamb w/ mint, roasted potato, parsnips, and currant/apricot chutney. It was a special we did for Christmas - delicious.

I'm hoping I can start applying some of what I'm learning at home soon.

• 6 years later...

I really enjoy cooking and the quality that comes with it. With 15-30 minutes on your hand you can have a really good meal, better than what you buy in a supermarket and often better than what you buy in a basic restaurant. The money vs value is incomparable. It’s so easy to make a pizza, so cheap, it blows your take out pizza out of the water. Or a nice butter chicken. 

Home cooking can also help make foods acceptable. Over the past year I’ve gotten my wife used to the rule that we can have anything as long as we make it. 

‘Besides liking the taste, the value, and just the way of relaxing, I also enjoy being the one who makes all my wife’s meals, from breakfast to lunch to supper to snacks. Sometimes a bit more butter, sometimes a richer mashed potatoes; sometimes a bit less filling so she’ll ask for snacks again. I love that. 

Guest cutebelly99
2 minutes ago, allgrownup said:

I really enjoy cooking and the quality that comes with it. With 15-30 minutes on your hand you can have a really good meal, better than what you buy in a supermarket and often better than what you buy in a basic restaurant. The money vs value is incomparable. It’s so easy to make a pizza, so cheap, it blows your take out pizza out of the water. Or a nice butter chicken. 

Home cooking can also help make foods acceptable. Over the past year I’ve gotten my wife used to the rule that we can have anything as long as we make it. 

‘Besides liking the taste, the value, and just the way of relaxing, I also enjoy being the one who makes all my wife’s meals, from breakfast to lunch to supper to snacks. Sometimes a bit more butter, sometimes a richer mashed potatoes; sometimes a bit less filling so she’ll ask for snacks again. I love that. 

What are some meals you cook that are “healthy”, but not  overly filling and high in calories?

Often a curry. Curries are a great way to eat more vegetables. At the same time the more liquid consistency makes it go through your system a bit faster, like eating soup, and you’re more likely to eat something else after. 

If i want her to enjoy the taste but not the rich calories I do cauliflower mashed potatoes or cauliflower rice. They make her feel very healthy too. If needed I can always add back a few calories. 

Almost anything with chicken can be tuned up and down in calories. Butter chicken using coconut milk, to name one. Shawarma is an essential one. Can be added to a meal, can be used in wraps. Add a bit more veggies to the wrap than chicken; there you go. 

I tend to stay away from any "lite" recipe. They substitute too much, often aren’t that healthy, and the end effect is eating more. I tend to take a recipe, look where the big calories come from and then tune that down or substitute. 

Sauces, like curries, are excellent for veggies too, making the plate much more interesting. Get a basic sweet & sour recipe and use it on veggies. Bit of shawarma on the side, maybe a potato; satisfying volume, satisfying taste, but not stomach exploding

• 1 year later...

I mostly eat healthy and have a basic set of recipes that I make for myself such as chicken salad sandwich, meatloaf (Hey, it's good!), mustard crusted roast chicken, sausage soup, chicken and dumplings, hamburgers, and chop salad.  These things usually are not as simple as they sound.  For example, I grind my own beef in a food processor so it is chunkier and less pasty than store-bought ground beef.  For grilled cheese, I make my own cheese spread with aged cheese, soft cheese, shallots, and wine.  I like quality.

When I have ample time, I enjoy making things like pierogi, golabki, bakery sheet pizza, fish or farmhouse chowders, and smoking both pork ribs and pinto beans for hours...or smoking anything like beef ribs or brisket. 

Also, I have a thing for Popsicles and I like to make my own with combinations like watermelon-lime, passion fruit-cream, blood orange, and pineapple-chile.  I need to learn to make a quality fudgsicle.  It's such an underrated...sicle.