Opera Singers

mal57

A post here about Maria Callas started me thinking about a sub-fetish of mine: fat opera singers. (Yet I don't like opera so go figure... lol) Anyway, here's a grab bag of my favorites. Anyone I'm leaving out?

(In order: Montserrat Caballé (with Freddy Mercury!), Alessandra Marc, Debra Voight, Jane Eaglen, Jessye Norman, twofer: Angela Meade and Jamie Barton

montserrat.jpg

2fd1ff585ccee57f2c0c7bab240732ed.jpg

music-deborah-voigt-new-york-usa-shutterstock-editorial-6416272a.jpg

janejpg-34429a420affc4e0_large.jpg

ABR62JGUT5CQVBM7FJLU3GNFKM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 7.44.29 AM.png

34 minutes ago, mal57 said:

A post here about Maria Callas started me thinking about a sub-fetish of mine: fat opera singers. (Yet I don't like opera so go figure... lol) Anyway, here's a grab bag of my favorites. Anyone I'm leaving out?

(In order: Montserrat Caballé (with Freddy Mercury!), Alessandra Marc, Debra Voight, Jane Eaglen, Jessye Norman, twofer: Angela Meade and Jamie Barton

montserrat.jpg

Great post!

Yup, I've seen it! Love her. I think Voigt is the only one who's been vocal about size discrimination in the opera world, though I don't think she's particularly fat positive. She was famously cut from a big gig at Covent Garden because the director wanted the lead to wear a "little black dress." It caused a huge amount of controversy and Voigt spoke out about it. A few years later she had WLS, and though she said she did it for her health no doubt a big part of it was bowing to the realities of having a career in the performing arts.

Anyway here's a bunch of opera queens bitching on the subject. Pretty entertaining and enlightening for a non-opera person like me.

https://www.talkclassical.com/45656-thoughts-overweight-singers.html

On 9/7/2020 at 6:45 AM, mal57 said:

montserrat.jpg

>Anyone I'm leaving out?

Stephanie Blythe.

18BLYTHE-superJumbo.jpg

30resonant-promo-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

unnamed.png

• 1 month later...