Young women heavier/flabbier than previous generations?

pseudonymius

I've noticed that almost all of the women in my age group (I'm 23), all the way down to 18-19 year olds and up to about 25-26, seem to be *significantly flabbier and more out of shape, on average, than girls who are a bit older. I also know a surprising number of girls who are very open about being out-of-shape, having bad eating habits, etc. A couple of years ago, I knew a 22-year-old who once told me, while eating fast food, that her cholesterol was super high and she wasn't supposed to be eating like that. She then proceeded to put on about 20 pounds (by her own admission) while I knew her.

In general, the younger women I see around also don't seem to want to dress for their body types, so you see a ton of fat rolls, muffin tops, cellulite and general flab on display, especially in summertime.

It's super entertaining, but I'm a bit curious about why. Personally, I think it might be a combination of changing paradigms around electronic usage, and the fat acceptance movement. Any thoughts?

that is a difficult question. and everyone here is probably looking at a very small sample. personally i see facebook and i see younger generations and friends of different ages and i think there is a bit of the contrary happening. more in shape ladies, but the other more... accepting and confident. it is like , if you want you can be fat and lazy and no one will really care if you wear a bikini being overweight, but at the same time more girls are going to the gym and keeping in shape at least for a while. there a lot of ways to lose a few pounds in a short matter of time. so, there is some fat acceptance, but that doesn't mean everywhere ladies are running to get to 600 pounds

On 7/13/2020 at 9:15 AM, extra_m13 said:

that is a difficult question. and everyone here is probably looking at a very small sample. personally i see facebook and i see younger generations and friends of different ages and i think there is a bit of the contrary happening. more in shape ladies, but the other more... accepting and confident. it is like , if you want you can be fat and lazy and no one will really care if you wear a bikini being overweight, but at the same time more girls are going to the gym and keeping in shape at least for a while. there a lot of ways to lose a few pounds in a short matter of time. so, there is some fat acceptance, but that doesn't mean everywhere ladies are running to get to 600 pounds

I definitely see what you mean about more acceptance. I’d be hard pressed to think of any girls that I know “go to the gym and keep in shape.” But that may be a function of my local, since come to think of it, I do see them on Instagram.

On 7/14/2020 at 5:01 PM, high said:

I can't wait for 400 lbs to be the new 200 lbs!!

I definitely know girls who are pushing 200 and still think of themselves as just “a bit chubby”, haha.

I don't know if Gen Zers are less fatphobic than previous.

One factor may be the current fad for big booty. This may lead to a higher overall tolerance for plumpness, given that, for most ladies to have a big butt, they also need to be thick in general. 'Thick' is not the same as 'fat,' but it's getting there.

They are generally a lot less active then just a generation ago,plus no accountability ,the political correctness is so prevalent that people are not called out if they gain weight,The clothes are very forgiving too,Stretch to accommodate the bigger bellies & butts

1 hour ago, bigorange3 said:

Gen Z seems pretty awesome for the most part in terms of acceptance. It's nice to see. 

We as late Millenials (and older generations) are certainly not doubting about it, but the understated question would be: how far are they lenient?

Guest grateful

In my neighborhood it is a common sight to see ** bellied girls running around in tiny clothes----everyone has a food baby!  😍

17 hours ago, John Smith said:

In U.S.A. ? Aren't much everyone down there are overweight or obese??

Not quite, only about half.

In the US its kind of a paradox: if a woman has the time and resources and inclination and motivation, thanks to the spread of nutritional knowledge and proliferation of gyms its easier than ever to be in really good shape. If you don't wanna put the work in its easier than ever to get fat: junk food is everywhere, clothing is moving towards less restraining garments and being heavy isn't as bad as it was socially as plus size becomes a thing.

I live in a wealthiesh urban/suburban neighborhood with a lot of fit, stay at home milfs out jogging every day pushing baby carriages but grew up in a rural area. Fifteen years ago half the cheer team was pushing overweight BMI, one of the class hot girls discovering beer/quitting volley ball and gaining 35lbs in a semester didn't hurt her social status (she spent College as a chunker and after a kid is pushing obese now) and like 2 girls in my graduating class had muscle tone. One became a mom after graduating and got fat enough she looked like a life long fat girl, the other got big into yoga and running after having a kid and looks like a victoria's secret model. Weirdly one of the heavier girls in my class got super into cross fit and really lean after getting married, then divorced, had a kid and got fat , the thick waist of her high school years eclipsed by a big ol gut.

2 hours ago, Batman76 said:

Not quite, only about half.

In the US its kind of a paradox: if a woman has the time and resources and inclination and motivation, thanks to the spread of nutritional knowledge and proliferation of gyms its easier than ever to be in really good shape. If you don't wanna put the work in its easier than ever to get fat: junk food is everywhere, clothing is moving towards less restraining garments and being heavy isn't as bad as it was socially as plus size becomes a thing.

I live in a wealthiesh urban/suburban neighborhood with a lot of fit, stay at home milfs out jogging every day pushing baby carriages but grew up in a rural area. Fifteen years ago half the cheer team was pushing overweight BMI, one of the class hot girls discovering beer/quitting volley ball and gaining 35lbs in a semester didn't hurt her social status (she spent College as a chunker and after a kid is pushing obese now) and like 2 girls in my graduating class had muscle tone. One became a mom after graduating and got fat enough she looked like a life long fat girl, the other got big into yoga and running after having a kid and looks like a victoria's secret model. Weirdly one of the heavier girls in my class got super into cross fit and really lean after getting married, then divorced, had a kid and got fat , the thick waist of her high school years eclipsed by a big ol gut.

Well, I guess things differs greatly where I live.

In the Grand Montreal (Canada) , I can tell from my years of observation and socializing that a quite reasonable bulk of citizens ranges from average weight to pinpoint early visible obesity status, with a decent amount of thinner fellows and relativelly not-so-smallish amount of downright obese people striking rather undiscriminately from class to class: although increasingly more rampant amid younger generations, postsecondary high attending student bodies and socially-disadvantaged communities as years are passing by. About half of the Quebecois population is obese, yet it seems the bariartic outbreak prevails a little much in other areas of this province unlikely the metropolitan area (and its easily accessible, multicultural mahogany of fast food) whose is still sticking to the middle-high part of the spectrum.

Now, from my subjective part, I juggled between journeying between a rather socially ambiant middle-class town at Laval to my quieter working-class neighborhood at Mtl and even there, the rate of population remains the same than the rest of those cities: seven girls out of twenty who hovers from soft-skinny territory to the hallmark of no-thigh-gap zone, four next who are smallfat, two who are heavier BBWs / SSBBWs and the rest cannot forebodies themselves outgrowing past a Small  dressing size. In the meantime, three guys out of ten are of a skinny or medium built, four are getting insanely fat after their prom and the rest had always been. About close to half of my secondary and college male schoolmates has beer bellies and multiples chins inching forward since even prior even reaching their mid-twenties, a former friend went from 240 to someplace close to 400 pounds within the past years before thinning back, tben one out third of my once-skinny female schoolmates are now ranging scarsely from softer to podgy to chubby to plump to downright blubberlike while two female acquaitances of mine went rapidly from trim, athletic bodies to floor-creaking depths of severe obesity (one of them after merely a half-year!!) .

Nonetheless, it still remains rather uncommon around to stumble upon four-hundred-pounders waddling along the way as much uptown as downtown and might had likely far much chances to catch a Legendary Pokémon on your phone every single five blocks away than seeing USSBBWs and USSBHMs. 

on average that statement is probably true... people/ladies are getting fatter overall. but there will always be some with the fitness worm in them. i just came back from sams and i have a delectable observation to share. two ladies... number 1 and 2. both about the same height and age. probably late 20s. 1 was fit, slim, wearing no sleeve tshirt and tight jeans. in her cart, the expected by looking at her. salmon. carrots. lettuce. spinachs almonds and natural yogurt fat free. slim and fit, good looking. nothing to argue. the other one... and it is difficult to tell how good looking they really were because of the masks... but 2 was wearing shorts, really short and it was a pretty sight. bottom heavy. frozen pizza. ice cream. chips in her cart. cellulite filled thighs. so soft... needless to say i would prefer to the number 2 naked.

It's a combination of:

1) soft parenting always giving in to children trying to silence them with candy/yummy foods

2) less and less physical activity growing up

3) millenial/Z generation getting taught from a young age whatever happens to them is not their fault/no personal accountability for anything including their own weight

4) less and less physically active jobs

5) overabundance of calory rich and processed foods

6) fat acceptance movement -> plus size models

1 hour ago, vennie said:

It's a combination of:

1) soft parenting always giving in to children trying to silence them with candy/yummy foods

2) less and less physical activity growing up

3) millenial/Z generation getting taught from a young age whatever happens to them is not their fault/no personal accountability for anything including their own weight

4) less and less physically active jobs

5) overabundance of calory rich and processed foods

6) fat acceptance movement -> plus size models

Do you think that some of those society-impacting changes could be also triggered for cultural and/or countercultural reasons?

43 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Do you think that some of those society-impacting changes could be also triggered for cultural and/or countercultural reasons?

I think good parenting is the cornerstone of society. If within a culture bad parenting is commonplace it results in bad life oppertunities for the growing up kids and a screwed up sense of responsibility.

The way people parent their kids is one of the things that define a culture.

So yes, the changes could also be triggered by those things :)

35 minutes ago, vennie said:

I think good parenting is the cornerstone of society. If within a culture bad parenting is commonplace it results in bad life oppertunities for the growing up kids and a screwed up sense of responsibility.

The way people parent their kids is one of the things that define a culture.

So yes, the changes could also be triggered by those things :)

Thank you to share your insights.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest You have a belly

Child obesity and overweight are skyrocketing, so it's no surprise those fat kids become fat teenagers and young girls, and many who weren't fat kids will become fat with puberty or later on when they start drinking and stuffing themselves with fast food in college. Plus most girls who play sports at school stop at some point. Also, as it's been said, woke culture plays a big part too. For instance, a coach telling a female athlete she needs to lose weight is now considered a fair reason for dismissal.