The Obesity Paradox

Queen Victoria

I think that the obesity paradox probably is a statistical fluke, as there is not anything inherently unhealthy with being thin. However, the truth of the matter is that it is possible to be thin and unhealthy, and it is possible to be fat and healthy. And it is very possible to construct a study that over samples the unhealthy thin and healthy fat. Yes, every study that exists has an agenda. In this case, I think it is possible that the researcher had the agenda that fat doesn't necessarily indicate lack of health, and in their zealousness to show this, they over sampled unhealthy thin people.

But just because you have an agenda, doesn't mean you are necessarily wrong in general terms. After all, we all have an agenda, whether we realize it or not. So I think the important takeaway from this study is not that a little bit of fat is more healthy than being thin, but that being fat is not necessarily LESS healthy than being thin. And other studies back this up. The big picture looks like being obese is more a symptom rather than the disease. A sedentary lifestyle leads to obesity, and a sedentary lifestyle leads to health problems. But just because the obesity is corolated with health problems, doesn't mean that it is the obesity causing the health problems. And what researchers are showing, is that if you are obese but active, you will be healthy. And there is no paradox with that result, as when the cause is shifted from weight to activity level, the results are consistent.

Guest AbeVanHelsing

I think that the obesity paradox probably is a statistical fluke, as there is not anything inherently unhealthy with being thin. However, the truth of the matter is that it is possible to be thin and unhealthy, and it is possible to be fat and healthy. And it is very possible to construct a study that over samples the unhealthy thin and healthy fat. Yes, every study that exists has an agenda. In this case, I think it is possible that the researcher had the agenda that fat doesn't necessarily indicate lack of health, and in their zealousness to show this, they over sampled unhealthy thin people.

It's not so much that being thin is unhealthy as it is that the risks associated with obesity only become really significant when you're really fat, whereas the risks of being merely overweight or slightly obese are commonly exaggerated.

Interestingly, I've been reading a lot about stuff like this lately, and how the BMI is really limited.  What's been a recurring theme is the idea of central obesity; what it comes down to in a nutshell is that by themselves, having a big belly is way worse then being heavy.

[...] what researchers are showing, is that if you are obese but active, you will be healthy. [...]

Which, of course, presumes that you are active enough not to reach a level of obesity at which your health is more likely to be at risk. For example, here's a quote from the conclusions of an earlier study (Exercise Capacity and Body Composition as Predictors of Mortality Among Men With Diabetes, Timothy S. Church et al., Diabetes Care, Volume 27, Number 1, January 2004):

"We insert a note of caution in regard to focusing more emphasis on increasing physical activity and fitness in patients with diabetes. We believe it is reasonable to assume that there is a level of obesity at which the benefits of more physical activity or higher levels of fitness do not overcome the metabolic abnormalities and risks of excess body fat."

From the paper,

Our findings are consistent with observations of lower mortality among overweight and moderately obese patients. Possible explanations have included earlier presentation of heavier patients, greater likelihood of receiving optimal medical treatment, cardioprotective metabolic effects of increased body fat, and benefits of higher metabolic reserves.

Interesting findings, certainly.

I would also highlight the following points:

A total of 270,000 people died of any cause during the studies. When the scientists crunched the numbers, they found, as expected, that people who were significantly obese — with a body mass index, or BMI, of 35 or more — had shorter life spans on average than those who were of normal weight, defined as having a BMI of 18.5 to 24.9.

But the scientists also found that people classified as overweight, with a BMI of 25 to 29.9, died at slightly lower rates — not higher — than those of so-called normal weight. And they found that those who were mildly obese, with a BMI of 30 to 34.9, died in no greater numbers than did their normal-weight peers.

Guest flamins

I think we should also bear in mind that these studies generally involve people far below that weights of the girls we see on curvage and in our online fetish world.  These studies are not looking into the health and lifespan of people who were 300-400lbs by the time they turned twenty.

Because medical studies show 50 year olds who are 20lbs overweight but run marathons every other weekend can live as long as skinny people does not mean that the same will apply to the 450lb web model you just fapped to.

Guest AbeVanHelsing

I think we should also bear in mind that these studies generally involve people far below that weights of the girls we see on curvage and in our online fetish world.  These studies are not looking into the health and lifespan of people who were 300-400lbs by the time they turned twenty.

Because medical studies show 50 year olds who are 20lbs overweight but run marathons every other weekend can live as long as skinny people does not mean that the same will apply to the 450lb web model you just fapped to.

I think we know that.  But there's a whole spectrum of women on this site, and while I can't speak for everyone, outside of curvage I've seen the "health nazis" turn their ire on women who less than 50 lbs overweight plenty of times.

Something they fail to mention (or perhaps I missed it) was the cause of death of the 270,000. Whether it includes all manner of deaths, including vehicular accidents, natural causes, over doses, etc etc.

My point being that perhaps the stats are referencing the lifestyle habits o people within a certain range rather than the weight it self. I image a whole heap of busy chubby house wives would befall the category listed as havin a lower rate and I would think them to be exercising by way of being busy and they'd eat home cooked meals, all be it large portions.

Something they fail to mention (or perhaps I missed it) was the cause of death of the 270,000. Whether it includes all manner of deaths, including vehicular accidents, natural causes, over doses, etc etc.

A total of 270,000 people died of any cause during the studies.

Which kind of invalidates the entire study because it was not specific enough to draw any conclusions about anything.

Like a lot of studies.

Guest tj11692

"risk of death" I love that phrase im 5 foot 10 and 180 pounds what are the odds that i will die? What are the odds i will live forever?