Fat WTA Tennis Players

David

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2022 at 6:10 PM, woldrich said:

Judith Wiesner, ex austrian

Unfortunately there seem to be no pics on the web that show how chubby she really was. The following might be worth recalling, from a time without "body positivity" in the media:

During an interview that appeared on television, the reporter asked her: "We are a little chubby, aren't we?"

(German: "bisserl fest simma schon, Judith, oder?") She did not reply, but was obviously annoyed.

After winning a tournament, she cheered and then lay down on the court, on her back, relaxing and enjoying the moment. She had her feet towards the camera; when she lay down her thighs wobbled, and her skirt rode up a bit. The camera man made very sure to get a good view of this, and it was precisely this scene that appeared in the evening news when it was reported that she won.

After she lost a match, a sports reporter said, "certainly also due to her physical state", in a condescending tone.

From a newspaper, about some grand slam tournament: "In the 'slow motion tennis' of 1995, physical fitness seems to be no longer important. Amazed, the audience sees chubby ladies enter the center court. Austrian Judith Wiesner hauled her excess weight into the third round, and US player Lindsey Davenport even was number 5 of the tournament. At least, the "wide" (German: ausladend) American knows about her condition: 'If I lose some weight, I could become faster'. She is behind Brenda Schultz in the list of heaviest female players."
Then the weights of Davenport and Schultz were given; I do not remember, but I think they were between 75 and 79 kg.(German: "Die Österreicherin Judith Wiesner schleppte ihr Übergewicht in die dritte Runde.")

I remember another article where it was mentioned that it was a "running gag" among reporters to ask Davenport about her weight in press conferences.

• 1 month later...
Guest Is that a belly?
On 11/25/2022 at 5:10 PM, Anderssonson said:

This is my favourite topic. How do female tennis players get to be so fat? The men are all so physically fit, but the women on tour often have bellies, even the ones we don't discuss carry a little more weight than expected. 

Basically because any comment on it is stamped out as "body shaming".

48 minutes ago, JFrost147 said:

Just going to leave this here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/64242936

Holy shit. Incredible. I didn't even realize she was in a relationship, but I guess she's been dating somebody since 2019.

On 11/25/2022 at 11:10 AM, Anderssonson said:

This is my favourite topic. How do female tennis players get to be so fat? The men are all so physically fit, but the women on tour often have bellies, even the ones we don't discuss carry a little more weight than expected. 

This is a good question, and I suspect it has something to do with the demands of the sport: power is important, as are short bursts of activity, but not sustained endurance like you have in track and field, basketball, etc. So maybe it's not surprising that baseball and softball, which also prioritize power and short bursts of activity, also have a lot more chunky competitors. Maybe volleyball, too, to a lesser extent. I can't explain why this wouldn't apply to men, too, though, the way it has in baseball.

Guest Is that a belly?
On 9/4/2022 at 9:28 PM, kthek said:

Kvitova in March this year.

kvitova1.jpg

kvitova6.jpg

kvitova4.jpg

kvitova3.jpg

kvitova2.jpg

It's rare to see a player with a flabby belly practicing in her bra. Normally they only do it when they have abs to show off. It must have been really hot that day.

• 4 months later...