L'amant Engraissé

WalkingFed

My parents thought it would be a great idea to pour their retirement into owning the restaurant the had their first date in, got engaged in, and celebrated every anniversary. The place was called L'amant Engraissé, but don’t let the fancy French name fool you, I’ve had their food before and growing up I called it “Lame ‘n Gross”. I understand the sentimental value to them, but the place was a money pit and they spent every waking moment trying to bring the place up to snuff.

After many years and many staff changes I got calls from my parents telling me everything ya clicking and they were finally pulling in some serious money. Still, owning the restaurant consumed them day and night and was a strain on their marriage and their health. They bought and reopened the place while putting me and my younger sister, Karli, through college. I went to school across the country but my sister lived closer to home so she was the one helping out during the summers. She was their baby so she would play hostess and hardly lift a finger other than to ask my parents for money.

This year would be different though. I was finishing my last semester and graduating with my master’s degree. My parents begged for me to come home and spend a late gap year while I looked for an internship since I haven’t had luck landing one yet. During that time I’d be helping out at “Lame ‘n Gross” making money while applying for a career with my degree. I agreed under one condition: I’d be Karli’s boss, not the other way around. First on my list was whipping my lazy sister into shape to take over the restaurant since I sure as hell wasn’t going to plan owning it! They happily agreed and paid for my plane ticket back. I didn’t realize that once I walked into my family’s restaurant just how, um....out of shape...she had gotten working there.

*GASP* KARYN! YOU'RE FINALLY HOME!

I couldn’t believe my eyes and froze at the entrance. My little sister had...grown quite a bit since I last saw her. I’m not talking years either, but just months. Since New Years to be exact. I remember this solely because she asked to borrow some of my old dresses. We were the same size, save for a few differences. I’m the curvier sister in the bust, ass, and (not for lack of trying) in the hips and thighs. Karli, in the 22 years she’s been alive, has never carried any unnecessary fat on her. She finally grew some decent B cups and a little bump in the rump going into sophomore year of high school but that was it! Now. She’s more sister than little, by a lot.
From the hostess podium I can see she’s gained in her hips, her arms are softer and less defined, her face has filled out, and those boobs! She’s closing in on needing to borrow my bras with those things! They’re front and center and the amount of cleavage is apparent. Wait that’s....she’s in one of my dresses! She’s grown into my dress! And more since it looks tighter on her than it did me.

Okay enough staring, be cool Karyn. Don’t make it obvious and give your sister a hug.

”Hey Karli, wow! You look so grown in my dress.”

”Grown? 

”Grown up. I just, ahem, haven’t seen you in a while and I wasn’t expecting to see you looking like that.”

”Like what? You’re acting weird. Like you don’t recognize me or something.” Karli said with a smirk. She moved from behind the podium and if it wasn’t evident before of her gaining weight it’s all on display now. “Give your little sister a big hug.”

As she walked towards me, her body jiggled. She never jiggled before! I leaned in and right away it was harder to hug her. Our chests bumped earlier than anticipated and I let out an audible “oof”. My arms closed around her and stopped just short of linking. I still couldn’t believe this was her. I pulled her away and my hands sank slightly into her arms.

”Are things okay Karli?”

”What do you mean? Things are great. Why do you ask?”

”I just...I don’t know. I don’t want to ruin this sisterly moment but, Karli, if you need to talk I’m here now.”

Finally piecing it together, mostly because I’m pointing out the problem with my eyes, Karli jumped back.

”I’m not fat, Karyn! Not that fat! I know I’ve gained some weight but, geez, you’re really calling me out like this?” Her eyes close to tears.

”Karli, no! I’m only asking because I care. I’m not judging at all. It’s just a shock to see such changes in 5 months. You look great, better! Healthy. Hap——py.” I trailed off because I was not helping.

”I. Don’t. Believe. You.” Karli sniffled and settled. “I’ll have you know things are great here. Mom and Dad have been doing better and focusing on themselves. To take some of the stress off their shoulders I’ve been doing the office work and working with new kitchen staff and menu.” She stood confidently, heaving her chest up.

”Thats amazing. I didn’t know. And, again, not judging but it sounds like you’ve been stress eating because of all this responsibility too.”

Karli turns me to a neighboring booth and I sit down. With a sigh she responds, “maybe a little. I don’t have time to cook for myself anymore so I do ask the cooks to help make me up a late dinner. And breakfast... a mid-day snack or two.” She slides to the booth and it’s not an easy landing.

”Or two?” Just then Benny, one of our waiters, comes over with two monster-sized slices of triple rich chocolate cake. He smiles at me and winks. “These slices are huge! They’ve been half this size for years!“

”Until last year they were. Then Mom and Dad found a better dessert distributor thanks you Frank the new head chef. He pulled some strings after getting hired and we can afford to ‘treat’ our guests to better portions. Try et! Yu’ll luff et!” My darling sister says through a big lump of cake in her mouth.

I look at the cake as it takes over the whole plate and oozes with chocolate sauce and then at my sister as she smiles into hers dropping crumbs deep into her bigger cleavage.

”Is there anything a little less sugary? I’m not much of a sweets person.”

”Yeah. I’ll go ask Benny for a scoop of ice cream for you.”

”Just one scoop!” I warn.

Karli scrambles up and walks to the back of the house. When she’s not looking I call my parents to let them know I’m at the restaurant. Mom picks up.

”Hi honey! I’m so glad you made it home! We will be in a little later. Is Karli with you?” Mom asked.

”Yes, but Mom we are going to need to talk about things. Namely the stress Karli’s and what it’s doing to her.”

”Oh yeah you noticed that too, huh? I spoke with her about cutting back 2 months ago but she wasn’t having any of that. I’m keeping an eye on her. If it gets more serious we will sit down with her and now that you’re home, maybe you can share the load with her. Get her out from behind the kitchen.”

”Good idea Mom. I will. She’s coming back so I got to let you go. Love you, bye.”

Karli came back not long after I hung up. I put the phone in my purse and turned around to see, to my surprise, a hot fudge sundae staring at me with extra cherries. “I’m not going back again. Eat.”  

With a laugh I spooned a scoop of frosty Neapolitan dribbling with whipped cream and dug in.

Karli and I spoke off and on throughout the day. She would depart briefly to oversee operations and occasionally seat customers. Being from a small down a few familiar faces crossed my view. Long story short, Karli wasn’t the only one who filled out. An ex-boyfriend of mine and his wife came in and I couldn’t tell who was carrying the baby. Karli surprisingly was kicking ass at working both the front and kitchen.  I noticed that she’s also became more of a flirt given her current inflated state. And the kitchen was jumping over each other to help her. None of them really paid attention to me. I found Frank doing inventory in dry stock so I thought I’d say hi and introduce myself.

”Hi, Frank right?”

”The one and only. You’re Karyn right? The older sister?”

”Yes sir. I thought I’d come over and say hello and get to know the new staff who are doing wonders for my family’s business.”

”We are happy to be here. Your parents are great people. We share the same vision.”

”And that is?”

”Feeding hungry mouths of course!” He laughed in response. “And bringing back the luster of L'amant Engraissé. I fell in love with the stories your parents tell. I heard you weren’t a fan of the cake.”

Embarrassed, I mumbled back “..it was just a lot more cake than I’m used to. I didn’t mean to offend.”

“Naw I get it. Your sister wasn’t big to it either. She said it was ridiculous in size. But I won her over. I slipped a smaller slice with her dinner one night. Hooked.” He said with a kiss to his lips.

”Well she loves sweets so it was an easy battle. Just so you know.”

”I hope so. She quite a pretty boss. If that’s appropriate to say.”

”Well I can’t stop you from saying it but work and not work shouldn’t mix.”

”I understand. I’ll be on my best behavior. I like her, but I love my job too. Me and the boys. Wouldn’t want to fuck that up. Sorry language.”

”Just don’t let the front hear that. Family restaurant.” With a wink and click of my teeth.

”Got it boss.”

“Please. Boss is my father’s name. I’m Karyn to you and the boys. I gotta go help Karli but I’m glad we talked. I’ll have a team meeting tomorrow to introduce myself to everyone.”

”Glad we talked too. I was afraid you were going to be a hardass.”

”Who says I’m not?” I laughed.

He swung back to his stock and I walked up to the front. Closing with Karli was a lot easier since she started caring about getting things done. It was like she was a whole different person than last year. After all was done and closed. Frank was the last to go, but not before presenting me with a three-tiered styrofoam gift.

”I already gave Karli hers and to welcome you back I made you a salad, entree, and dessert.“

”Wow. Thank you! I can’t wait. I’m actually pretty hungry.”

”A heads up, the dessert is the cake in a more manageable size. Freezes well.” Frank said as he placed the containers in my hands. They felt heavy.

”I think I’m going to like you. But don’t think you can suck up to me with food.” I caught with a smile

”Who says I am? Karli’s orders”

Sneaky sis.

I plopped the containers onto the front seat of my car. The whole drive all I could smell was that food. It smelled delicious. Familiar to the cuisine we normally served for years but with a fragrant, almost butteriness that I couldn’t place. My nose was telling me it was a scampi, something with a wine sauce at least. Karli does know my favorite foods so I know her order wouldn’t disappoint. I couldn’t even open it to see until I get home. Ugh the smells are killing me!

I headed to my parents since that was where I will be living until I either rent somewhere or find a job and move. I will admit I missed being home. I missed my family and my bedroom. Being at school it was all work work work. Maybe I can find some vacation time during this year long break, for now though my focus is the restaurant and catching up on everything I’ve missed since last I visited. As I pulled up I saw my father, standing in front of the doorway smoking. He was a tall, proud man with salt and pepper hair and a slight paunch. My mother’s silhouette darting between the windows. I waved to my dad as I parked in a spot in front of the house. He walked over, put out his cigarette, and hugged me.

”Let me get your bags darling, you must be exhausted. He said tapping the trunk waiting for it to be popped open. “Go inside, your mother’s just getting ready for bed.” And with that I opened the doors and trunk and went inside. I open the door to the sounds of my mother humming and dancing around putting the finishing touches on dressing the dining room table.

”My baby’s home at last! You could have taken your first day back off from going in to the restaurant, honey. No need to wear yourself out so quickly.” She floats giving me a warming hug. My mother is a lot like me, she’s kept in good shape fit a woman who runs a restaurant, graceful with a bit of a loud step, and when needed blunt and unapologetic with wisdom.

“I know, Mom. But I wanted to be there. Get to see everyone and meet the new staff.”

”They’re fantastic, right? I love them all. Looks like Frank gave you dinner to bring home.” She pointed at the containers.

“Oh yes. It smells good too. I may eat it now if that’s okay.”

“Completely. I made up a spot for you at the table already. You know where the dishes are. I’m off to bed. See you in the morning.” She passed by me yells to Karli as she walks up the stairs saying goodnight. My dad enters not soon after and walks up the stairs. He’s a man of few words, mostly nods and waves. I grab a fork from the drawer on the kitchen and open my meal. It kept beautiful despite its travels and the portion of salad and lemon crusted scallion scampi were generous. The white sauce cling to the pasta but melted on my tongue. I was in heaven. Partnered with tasted bruschetta points to soak up what made it to the bottom and I don’t think I’ve had a better meal in ages. My faith in the chefs were not in vain. My pace quickened as I devoured everything. The time had come to finish my night with the chocolate cake. It still looked more than what I think I could handle but I took on the challenge. To my surprise for its richness it was also light and easy to put away. “Man is it good!” I said to myself believing I was on my only company.

”I knew you’d love it.” Chirped my sister I didn’t even hear her come down the stairs. I would have thought her weight would give her away.

”Whatever. First time for everything.” I responded.

”Got anymore left?” She inched closer.

”No. Frank only gave me a big....sliver if you can call it that.”

“That’s okay. Just thought I’d ask. I’ll find something in the fridge.”

”Funny. You were never one for a late night snack, sis.”

”Things change I guess. I think the added work I put into the job started working up a later appetite.”

”True. I was starving when I got home. But now I’m full so I’m off to bed. Don’t stay up too late. You’re opening tomorrow and I’m not dragging you out of bed.”

”Not even like you could now that I’ve put on a few pounds.” Karli joked as she rubbed her stomach.

”You said it not me. And again you look great. Don’t let my foot in mouth disease get to you.”

”I won’t I promise. Well good night Karyn. Sweet dreams. OH I think there’s a sweet potato pie in the fridge!” Karli matched past and toward the kitchen. Her hip checking the side of the door frame.

Getting up the stairs on a full stomach was not the labor I expected it to be. I must have been sleepier than I thought. I slumped into my bed, turned on the TV, and was out before I knew I had shut my eyes. Morning came fast and I woke up to a flurry of wonderful smells and sizzling noises.

Breakfast is my favorite meal. Probably because it was the one meal we didn’t make at the restaurant so I never got tired of it. If my parents ran a breakfast joint instead of elegant cuisine I know I’d easily be the fattest sister or fattest in the whole family. The aroma downstairs was not helping me steer away from becoming that if this became a habit in this house. Mom must have gone all out because I’m home. With a short leap out of bed I headed down into the kitchen. I’m glad I stayed in my nightgown that gave enough room to fit a good breakfast without showing. The spread on the island and counters were all my favorites, cranberries crumb cake muffins, pancakes with low sugar syrup (don’t judge), bacon, sausage, fruit plate, and orange juice. All fresh minus a few dents because I was the last one down.

“Special occasion, family?” I joked and hugged my mother.

“Only the long missed clamor of a full house.” My mother grinned.

“Everything looks good, but why so much? Who else is coming?”

“Just you, Karli, Dad and myself. Dig in, Karli already grabbed her plate.” I looked over everything and filled my plate. By the time I covered the last spot of plate with fruit, Karli walked in the kitchen. Her plate was  used but empty and she was still hungry for more. I sat across the table but had a clear view of the kitchen. As I crunched into my bacon I took a look at my sister’s morning attire as she picked out her  choices for seconds. She usually wears pajamas but today she was wearing shorts that looked like they had shrunk with age. They were tight around the thighs and stretched over her butt with just a little panty line showing. Between her t-shirt and shorts was a soft belly playing peek-a-boo and rubbing against the counter. Her chubby hips spilled out and creased around her hand as she placed her fingers to her side to make more savory decisions. Reluctantly, I looked further north at my sisters bouncier, fuller chest. I think I was getting a little jealous because mine weren’t so lively as hers these days. She must not be too used to them since there were a bevy of crumbs and spills above the cups that she couldn’t see. Not to still sound surprised but I can’t imagine how she gained so much weight and doesn’t seem to care. Then I saw her plate. Her stacked, overlapping, heavily leaning plate. The girl’s been bringing her appetite from work back home.

“Hungry sis? I say into my juice glass.

“Ha-ha. I’ll have you know my first plate was just fruit.”

“The boob crumbs that look like bagel and cream cheese says otherwise.”

“Damnit.” Karli brushes herself off.

“Leave your sister alone Karyn.” My dad interjected. “I’m off to work on the prep. See you girls soon.”

“Bye Dad!” We echo and turn to our meals.

Despite her having more on her plate Karli finished before me and turned to get up. Her belly pressed a little more against her shirt and she tried futility to pull her shirt down. Within the hour we were dressed and ready to head to the restaurant. I looked myself over in the mirror to make sure I looked okay. Nothing out of the norm. At the front door I heard “wait up! We will go together!” Karli shuffled up. 

It’s evident that her clothes aren’t keeping up with her growing body. She was packed in her work pants, her favorite pendant which dangled was now more taut on her neck. and the buttons down on her blouse were pulling out hard exposing her light pearl bra between holes. I wasn’t going to make a thing about it because dad was waiting but if Karli is hoping not to draw attention to her curves, she’s going to need to up her wardrobe a little. Time for her favorite, older, blunt bitch of a sister to come to her rescue.

”Oh let’s get Starbucks on the way! I am craving a vente chocolate chip frap something bad!” Karli squealed.

”Sure thing little sis.” One for the road wouldn’t hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

The days at work meshed together fast. I came back home in early May and in a blink it was already mid-June. Summer crowds were upon us and with the weather getting nicer, more couples were likely to come in for fine dining, anniversaries, and the like. Great thing too! It meant that Karli and I would keep ourselves busier in the office and upfront and spending less time in the kitchen. Karli and Frank were getting friendlier so her breaks have gotten slightly longer and her need to be closer to him to taste test was more frequent. To be expected she’s done nothing to stop herself from getting fatter. I’ve been letting Karli borrow some of my more baggier, bust-happy clothes because I know she’d fit in them. And she did...for a while. In a month she’s outgrown all her clothes and a few of mine. Then again so have I. 

Being busy with the restaurant I haven’t had the time to slow myself from keeping any extra weight off. I weighed myself in the bathroom a few nights ago and with 13 extra pounds since I graduated I’m the heaviest I’ve been since sophomore year of college. And I’m not the only one to notice. My parents ask me if I’m stressed out and worry I’m taking too much on. But they answer every concern with sliding more on my plate, by that I mean more food not more responsibility.

I change into my nightgown to crash for the night and as my gown catches on my chest, I hear...

“Well look at you Karyn. My big sister’s grown into the title.” Karli said with a laugh as she passed the hallway bathroom.

“Shut up. I’m not as heavy as you. Won’t ever be either.” I place my hands down and feel a jiggle as I go to close the door. Karli sticks her fat foot in the door. “I’ll tell Frank to cut down on your take home orders. He’s been spoiling you too much.”

She’s right. Frank is to blame. He’s the one packing mine and Karli’s dinners. That asshole!

I go in early to confront Frank and ask him as politely as I can to stop overloading me with food.

“Hey Frank! A word?”

“Sure thing, boss!”

He comes into the office and he has an unsure look on his face.

“Am I getting fired, Karyn?”

“What? No! I’m pulling you in here to ask you... this is so stupid...can you stop giving me so much to take home for dinner?” I almost laugh hearing myself ask.

“Sure thing. Watching the figure I get it. If it’s any consolation boss, you look as great as always. There’s just a little more. It’s cute.”

“Cute? You think this is cute?”

“Ha. Well I can’t lie. You and your sis are beautiful women and it’s just weight.”

“You. Just. Don’t even say that.” I stutter as I get flush.

“Okay I’m sorry. Don’t get embarrassed. Tell you what. I’ll have Benny do your food orders. He’s better at portioning than I am and he’s my right hand man. I trust him to keep you in fighting shape.” He leaned in with a wink. What a charmer.

“Deal.”

“And what about Karli? Should I cut back on hers too? Not saying she needs to, but I got eyes and she loves how I cook.”

“Yeah you should for her too. But don’t make it seem obvious. You gotta understand she was always skinny growing up so seeing her gain this much weight so fast isn’t healthy in my eyes.”

“You’re a good sister. Always watchin’ out for her best interests. I like that about you.” He gets closer.

“And best interest is to get back to work. I got invoices before my dad comes in.”

“Well if you need a bite during a break, you know where to find me. Ah I mean Benny. He’ll be taking your orders.”

“Ha-ha. Jerk” I turn around.

Little did I know Frank was spending a little extra time before heading back to the kitchen to take in a wider view of myself from behind. Admiring his handiwork perhaps.

• 3 weeks later...

It took a couple of weeks to see for myself, but since Frank made Benny my personal chef I noticed a difference in my eating habits. The portions were more manageable and balanced, but I didn’t realize how used to having dessert with my dinner I had become.  I like the change but I feel like it lacks that final note to round out my meal. Benny didn’t spoil me like Frank did. That should be good, right? I guess. I don’t need my food rounded out if it means I’m rounding out too, right? Yeah....

Besides, I need to be the one in top shape since my sister’s gone full tilt fatty. I spent so much time worrying about myself and the restaurant that I didn’t pay attention to Karli at all. I didn’t realize that the more time she spent with Frank the more she was under his influence. She stayed longer after closing with him and never saw her around mom and dad’s. I’d only see her at work. First thing, bright and early. At her desk or behind the cook line. 2 whole weeks of not seeing her. Finally, I saw her. ALL of her.

She popped in late one night to grab some extra clothes and I awoke from my slumber. I opened the door and Karli’s light to her bedroom was on. I slowly push door wider and all I saw was plump, rosy skin squeezing out of small strips of black cloth. Karli turned around and leapt with a yip. Her whole body jiggled and a fuller paunch belly bounced and flapped over her waistband. She had her shirt slightly unbuttoned and ready to unload the contents. I could see how big her boobs had gotten as they inflated and sunk down with every heaving breath. Her sleeves were holding in now sausage-thick arms. Below her pants were free of its belt and her chubby thighs pushing the zipper open on their own. Her butt was the size of a memory foam pillow and strained the seams. 

“Karli what the hell? Is that you?”

“You scared the hell out of me! Of course it’s me!”

“Where have you been? I haven’t seen much of you in weeks.”

“Frank took things to the next level. I’ve been staying over his house these last few weeks.” She cooed with a content and cheeky smile.

“Are you...pregnant?” I dart my eyes up and down.

“The fuck! No! I’m not!” Slammed Karli with a duffel on the bed.

“Are you sure Karli?”

“Yes I’m sure. Despite my best efforts, I have to have sex with Frank to get pregnant! All this is FAT...thanks to his home cooking and my sexual frustration.”

“IS HE WITHHOLDING, sorry, is he withholding sex with you because of your weight?”

“No. I mean. Probably. He certainly is taking his time! All we do is talk and cook food he wants me to try outside of work, lounge around, and watch movies. We do some things, not-so-PG13 things, but I’m always so full after dinner I’m too tired to instigate things further in the bedroom.”

“That’s not so terrible. A giant tease  yes but I’m happy he still likes you and isn’t taking advantage of you.”

“More than like,” Karli perks up, “we love each other.”

“Love? This soon?”

“He tells me how much he loves me and how beautiful I am to him. He’s always in the mood and touchy-feely but something stops him. I don’t know how he can be into me anymore considering the prize heifer I’ve become since living with him.”

Her phone buzzes. She answers.

“Hey babe. Yes just a few mins. Finding my sweatpants. No you don’t have to buy me any clothes. I have clothes. *giggle* Okay I’ll be down soon. Love you too. What? McDonalds? Again? It’s 1 in the morning. Sure I could eat something. Whatever you want to order *giggle* that’s too much! I can’t eat that much! Fine order it! I got to say by to Karli. I will. Bye.”

“You could eat, huh?” I give a look.

“Shut it. Maybe if I put him in a food coma he’ll be too tired to keep me at bay. I’m ready for dessert!”

“Ha. And if that doesn’t work?”

“Than at least I get a milkshake out of it. PS Frank says hi and hope you don’t miss me too much.”

“Kinda do.” I lean in to hug her and I’m happy to see her happy but I’m also sad by how she’s been eating and how I can’t embrace her like normal due to her heavier frame. “Better get out there before he over orders.”

“Good call. All set here. I’m doing great Karli. Everyone gains some weight in a relationship. Some more than others.”

“Just. I-. Nevermind. Tell that bozo I said hi back.”

And so she left. Thumping down the stairs and squeezing out the door and into his car.

“Karli, what have you gotten yourself into.” I close her bedroom door and walk back to mine. Off to sleep and into my thoughts.

Since my talk with Karli I couldn’t stop thinking what was happening to her. My little sister was happier than she’s ever been but it’s at the cost of her health. I started picking her up at Frank’s to go to the gym. She’d gotten so out of shape that she couldn’t work out more than 15 minutes before being completely wiped out. Didn’t help that on day one we were weighed in. I was still heavier than I was in spring by 23 pounds, but Karli got the shock of hearing her numbers. 188.5.

“I gained 60 pounds??”

“At least your know now?”

“60! Since Christmas!”

“Karli don’t freak out. I’m here to help. Think happy thoughts.”

“Where were you 60 pounds ago!”

“Uh...college?”

“Oh my god!” Karli started crying. “I can’t lose 60 pounds! I’m fucked! I’m going to be fat forever, Karyn!”

“That’s not true! I’ll help you. I can’t compare but if we workout together we’ll have ourselves back down by next Christmas. What do you say?” I rub her back.

“Okay. I’ll hold you to that! I can’t get any bigger before the holidays.”

For over a month Karli and I were going almost every day. Our stamina got better, I lost over 10 pounds and Karli lost 15. Then almost like a switch she stopped wanting to go. I couldn’t get a straight answer from her as to why. All she’d say is “something came up and she didn’t want to go anymore”. I still went but it wasn’t the same. Eventually, I stopped going too. I think Frank had something to do with this. I found a way to visit them at their home. To get the answer as to why my sister is giving up.

“Hey Karyn. Karli is in the shower but come in. Want a drink? Something to snack on? Frank cordially asked.

“No I’m okay. Unless you have a beer.

“You’re in luck. I have a lot of beer.” He jokes as he disappeared to the fridge. He pulled out a beer and opened it for me.

“Thank you.” I took a sip. It wasn’t like any beer I tasted before. It was good, very hoppy and a bit heavy on my tongue. But good all the same. “Never heard of this brand. Is it new?”

“My cousin owns a brewery so I get a share of his supply.” Smirked Frank.

“Tell him I send my kudos.” I take one more swig and let out a tiny, wispy burp.

“Things good with you?”

“Yeah just came to pay a visit to Karli. She seems very happy living here. Happy with you.”

“Yeah. I am too. She’s got me under her spell.”

“Seems like she’s under yours.”

“What’s that mean?” He leans in.

“We talked last month and a few times in the gym. She told me everything about the relationship.”

“Everything? I guess I don’t get what you mean.”

The air felt tense. Like I said the exact wrong thing.

“Not to overstep but what are your intentions with Karli?”

Dumbfounded, Frank stammered, “I. I love her. And. I don’t know if we are ‘there yet’, you know?”

“So you just tease her? For months? That’s fucked up!” I quickly get up but feel lightheaded.

“Whoa, calm down. That’s not it at all. Take a seat. Please?”

I do. I sit and finish the beer. The smooth drink slides down my throat. I feel a buzz and take a breath. “She loves you and you’re not ready to show that love back?”

“I thought I was. Honest.”

“How? She has needs, she has wants. From you. But because you’re ‘not there yet’ she’s turned to food to get what you’re not giving her. You’ve seen how much she’s changed living with you, haven’t you?”

“Yes. I have. And I love her more everyday. That doesn’t phase us. She’s still beautiful to me. More than ever. You wouldn’t understand.”

“Oh but I would. I so would. Try me.” I lean intently.

“If you think so than allow me to show you. Your birthday’s coming up right?”

“Yes.”

“Let me take you both to dinner. On me. See how we are together. See how we work.”

“I’m not going to be a third wheel. Especially on my birthday.”

Frank gets up to grab another beer for me. An idea pops into his head. “You’re right! I got it. My cousin, the brewer. He’s a year older than me but he’s single and free on your birthday. You’d like him!”

“Pfft. Your birthday gift to me is a boyfriend? Nooo thanks.”

“Come on. He’s great! Karli loves him.”

“She knows your cousin?”

“Yeah. He comes over to deliver my share. She likes his beer too. She’ll tell you the same things about him. She’s almost out.” 

He cracks open my second beer. After 5 minutes Karli pops out and insists I meet him. Almost giddy for me to check him out. I don’t know if it was the beer or how they sold him but I was feeling good and warm. I agree to meet him the weekend before my birthday. Long story short his name is Duncan, he’s 6’2”, cute and charming. I ask for proof. Once I saw his profile pic I’ll admit he was cute for a beer slinger. Not what I had in mind. With my birthday in 2 weeks we agree to all get together after he comes over with more beer for Frank and Karli. To my surprise, I had a case waiting for me at my parents house the following night.

“I think I could get used to this, dating a brewer.” I joke as I take the case up to my room and into my mini fridge.

That whole week I couldn’t get the thought of the date out of my head. Work was a good distraction but watching the lovebirds in the restaurant flooded everything back in. To get away I went the fast food route for my lunch breaks. In that same week I watched as Karli fell back onto the wagon and what weight she lost crept back on faster than before. Her dresses got tight again. Her bosom was back to its full ripeness. Her stockings tore under the strain, and then the inevitable happened. Her dress ripped over her rear as she bent over to taste the nightly special. I heard her shriek and quickly clop into the office to hide.

“Karyn. Can you help me?” She turns showing the big rip.

“I didn’t bring a sewing kit. I’m sorry.”

“Can you go out to my car and get my spare dress?”

Karli walked to her purse and as she bent down the front of her dress gave out. Her stomach in all it’s calorie-injected glory broke free.

“My god Karli how have you gotten this heavy so fast? It’s only been a week!”

“You’re one to talk, Karyn. Don’t think you haven’t gained it back yourself! I remember when what you’re wearing was one of my fat dresses!”

“Bitch.”

I walk over and grab her keys.

“The hell with her anyways. Only reason I put some weight back on is because she stopped coming with me to the gym. And the nightly beer in my room. And the stress of putting up with her and Frank all on each other in the kitchen. And craving dessert more than usual. So what if this dress fits me now. Jealous?”

I get to her car and find her dress. It’s weird knowing that my once tiny sister now needs all this extra fabric to cover her fat ass.

“Going to suck for her when she grows out of this dress too. Until she gets laid the only bulge she’s getting is from the pasta at the end to her fork.” I laugh, wrap the dress around my arm, and walk back into the restaurant. 

Tonight’s the night. Big date with Frank’s cousin Duncan. And nothing to wear! I’ve ballooned out of everything I still fit into weeks ago.

“The hell you doing to yourself Karyn?” I stare at myself in the mirror and turn to the side.

I look up and down and see the damage my life managing a restaurant has been. From my exaggerated waistline to my softer face, to my popped butt, to my heavy breasts. Everything had gone up in size and I feel heavier than I look.

“Fat, fat, fat. All I see is a blubbery mess. This guy isn’t going to want to be seen with all this. Although, maybe if I flash some of this ample cleavage he won’t run away.”

Karli wasn’t the only one who needs to get laid. I’ve hardly had a date myself in some time and from how Karli built this guy up I think he’ll check a few boxes for later tonight.

“I need to loosen up. Before  I call the date off.”

I walk to my mini fridge and grab my last brew from Duncan. I don’t know why but his beer has been hitting the spot when I’m stressed, which apparently is a lot.

“I hope I’m not developing a drinking problem, last thing I need to be is a fat buzzed to this guy.”

I take big drink, collect myself, and in my eye line is Karli’s room. She left a lot of old outfits in her closet. Ones I still may fit in. I walk over and pass my mother in the hallway.

“Hope you’re going to wear more than just your unders. I don’t want this boy thinking you’re a sure bet.” She says with a look of feign delight.

“Trust me mom. He’ll have to earn it to get my fat ass into bed.”

“Oh hush, you’re not fat. You’ve grown but we knew you would when you took over for your dad at the restaurant. It happened to me while you gurls we’re away and to Karli when she took on more responsibilities.”

“So the restaurant is a fat trap? Got it.”

“What I’m saying is the place pulls you in and sticks with you. The love we put into every dish is the magic touch.” Mother proclaims with a twinkle in her eye.

“Well we may need to cut down on the amount of love we dish out because your patrons and your daughters are bursting with it. The booths are packed more than ever.” I say wiggling past her.

“Looks aren’t everything, my dear. But I will say I’m lucky that I have two gorgeous daughters.”

“Why you trying to make me ruin my makeup before this date. I love you mom. Thank you.”

We embrace and part to our destined rooms. Mother shouts down the hallway.

“Wear the red wrap dress on the left side of Karli’s closet. It’s what she wore when he first went out with Frank. I think it’s lucky.”

Behind me her door shuts. I walk over and inspect the dress. It’s beautiful, lighter than it appears, and...a size too big. Mother knows best I guess. At least I’ll be able to breathe in this one. I put it on and it fits me well enough I’m not spilling out. I walk back to my bedroom to put my makeup on. I finish with just enough time to hear the front door unlock and the commotion of people fill the air.

“That must be Karli and Frank. I’M COMING DOWN RIGHT NOW!”

I walk down the steps and when a bounce in my step...and other places. I see my sister hugging and kissing her man. No surprise my sister looks slightly bigger and tightly packed in her dress, a bright yellow dress that isn’t hiding any newly developed curves With a slit up the leg open about 3 inches wide. And to their right a shy, handsome stranger looking lost in my eyes. Admittedly I was glued to his. I can’t tell if it’s the nerves, or downing the beer before coming down, or the instant attraction but I can’t help but to feel butterflies in my stomach.

“Damn sis! You look hot!

“I think your sister means, you look beautiful, boss.”

Frank gives Duncan a nudge.

“You look...so...wow!” A big smile and a breath came across his lips. “Are you ready to go?” He gives me his hand and immediately I feel at ease. I blush and nod to him.

“I know I am. I made reservations for us at this new Italian place, La Bellezza Ripiena, I have an in with their kitchen. Guy owes me a favor or two.” Frank said with a wink.

“That sounds lovely! Girls in the back, guys up front!” Karli demanded as she ripped me from Duncan and dragged me to the car.

We get in Frank’s car and speed away. Karli is beaming like a Christmas tree.

“What are you so excited about?” I whisper to my sister.

“Tonight’s the night. Frank said he’s ready to take things further.”

“Took him long enough. 4 months or something?”

“Yeah but I wasn’t going to push him. These days and with this body I can’t be too picky. But he’s ready and told me after tonight he’s all in, 100%. He was sweating bullets when he picked me up.”

“Wow. You think it’s more than just sex?”

“I don’t know but, damn I love him, if there’s a ring would you blame me for saying yes?”

“Without my approval? No. Way.” Stifling a laugh between the two of us.

“What are you girls talking about back there?” Frank cries out.

“NOOOOTHING!” We say in unison.

After 20 minutes, we finally pull up to the restaurant and are immediately seated, in a booth.

I was not prepared to squeeze myself into a booth. For the last couple of months I did all my work and eating at a table because the booths at our restaurants were fitting a little snug to my liking. I can only fear how rough this is going to be. The men lead us toward the padded booth and with a deep, quiet breath I suck in and slide into the booth. Karli did not. I watched as her plump form slid over and behind the table and with no problem she found her spot. I let out my breath and to my surprise I couldn’t feel the table pressing me at all.

“Wow. Comfy.” Said my sister.

“Only the best for my girl.” Replied Frank.

Without a chance to look over the menu a waiter came with a few plates of starting items for the table. A plate of ravioli sat in front of myself and Duncan.

“Frank you sure this is okay?” Duncan said.

“Of course, cousin. A deal’s a deal. This is all on me. I’m treating my girl like the queen she is, and showing my intentions to your lovely date as well. You two talk and eat and I’ll make all the orders!” And with an okay gesture of his hand dinner was on.

Talking with Duncan took up most of my dining experience. Between topics we’d slip some food on our plates as it came out and our wine glasses were refilled time and time again. To me Karli and Frank no longer existed in the same room. All my attention was on Duncan.

...”and that’s how I got started brewing. 2 years ago last month. It started as a hobby but everyone I knew loved the batches I made so much I quit my job working as a substitute teacher and dedicated myself to it full time.” He said with bright eyes.

“Wow that’s great! I wish I had that passion. I like running the restaurant, but I don’t see myself completely taking over. I don’t feel very motivated these days to go after anything in my degree.”

“You should do what makes you happy. Start small and build yourself up to more and bigger, better things. If it fits with your degree all the better. Motivation comes from within.”

“Easy for you to say. You’re already there and you’ve had support. I could see my parents and sister disowning me for giving up on the business.”

“I don’t see it as giving up, more expanding your choices and adjusting. But if you need a push, you’ll have my support. I’ll be your biggest fan.”

I couldn’t help but smile. I’m sure he’s buttering me up. I was told he was a charmer.

To call his bluff I said, “...well I’m already yours.”

How we didn’t jump each other I had no idea. But I was feeling it. And feeling very tipsy, very full too. A little too full actually. I look down and small towers of dirty plates are being stacked in front of the table and taken away.

“How long have we been here?” I ask feeling the numerous courses sending full signals.

Duncan looks at his watch. “About 2 hours.”

“2 hours? We’ve been eating and drinking for 2 hours?” I yell, alerting Karli and Frank.

“What? No! That can’t be. Frank?”

“Yup. About 2 hours. I think we ate just about everything on the menu too.” He laughs patting his full stomach.

I look down and my once fitting dress is now stretched outwards and touching the table. Karli looked like she was two more bites close to exploding. I can’t even keep my vision straight from all the wine.

“How could you just let us eat like that, baby? We had *plans* tonight. I’ll be too full.” She whined as she held her hand on her taut belly.

“We do. Believe me we are still on. I’ll pay the check and we’ll head back to our place to let things settle.” Frank gets out of the booth and up to where the host is.

“Karyn, is it strange that I could still eat?” Karli cooed as she took a sip of wine.

“Yeah. But I could too. It’s like I am full but I could still do frozen yogurt or something.”

“That’s good to hear because I actually have a dessert back at Frank’s. Nothing too heavy, just cheesecake.”

Without thinking my drunken stupor spat out, “Duncan. If I can’t get out of this dress, I’m sure that cheesecake will do the job.”

Duncan blushed and with a slight pull I popped out of the booth seat. “Guys. I’m stuck. I can’t get out.” Karli grunted giving her all as her gut pinned her inside the booth.

With the two of us we pulled as hard as we could and with a creak if the table out came my overfed, wined buzzed sister.

“Thanks guys. Maybe I’ll hold off on that cheesecake. Until after. Shhh.”

“Great more for me.” Jumped Frank, grabbing a heaping handful of fat from Karli’s rear.

As the lovebirds headed to the valet, Duncan pulled me aside.

“Karyn?”

“Yes, Duncan?”

“I’m having a great time.”

“Me too. Sorry you had to see me make a pig of myself.”

“No sorry needed. Worth every moment. I just hope that cheesecake does the job.”

...Okay. This man’s getting a piece. And it isn’t going to be cheesecake.

• 5 weeks later...

We get to the apartment. While walking up the stairs I noticed Duncan was holding my hand and the small of my back. It’s been too long since I’ve had that sort of touch on my body. I was feeling flush and warm but still pretty sure he was only making sure I wasn’t going to fall down. I was still very buzzed from dinner. We pack to the front of the door and wait for Frank to find his key. 

My sister locking her arms around his barrel chest and leaning into him. “Let’s get inside baby. I want dessert.” Karli whispers.

Finally the door clicks and opens. Duncan and I walk over to the couch and take a seat. Frank asks if anyone wants a nightcap. I refuse but Karli and Duncan oblige. Frank, out of solidarity, goes without a drink too. Probably to make sure his junks working for Karli tonight.

“Gross! Why did I think that? I don’t want to think of what those two are doing tonight!”

“What was that? Duncan leans in.

“Nothing. I-cheesecake! I think I’ll go in the kitchen and grab a piece.”

I head over to the kitchen and look in the fridge. Grabbing the heavy plate I pop up and turn around to get a knife and fork. Directly in front of me is my handsome date, smiling at me. I jump and almost drop the dessert onto him.

“You scared me! What are you doing?”

“Getting a snack.” He says with a smile. He’s cute but his jokes not as clever as he thinks.

Just then he leaned in and finally a kiss. A long, dreamy kiss. I return with just as much affection with my arm wrapped around him.

“Is it bad I still want some cheesecake?” I say between lip locks.

He laughs and with his great wit he says. “Bring it with us.”

Again my hand is in his and I notice Karli and Frank are gone and their bedroom door is closed. Focus Karli. You sister’s a big girl. Just hope I can’t hear them. Gross.

We step into the guest bedroom laid out for Duncan to crash in. He takes the cake, the cheesecake I mean, and puts it on the nightstand. He sits on the bed and draws me close. Things get hot fast and clothes start coming off. Then I realize what’s all under my dress, every overfed ounce of it, and before he can get my dress all the way up I stop him and jump up.

“Hold on. I don’t think..I’m not.”

“Not what? Karyn. You don’t want to do this?”

“You know I do. I really, REALLY do but you wouldn’t... I know you’ve seen how big I am. I’ll turn you off if you see the rest of me. Last year. You should have seen me. I was so skinny and fit. Not like this. Before the restaurant turned my body, my appetite into...I’ve just...I’ve let my body go. A lot.

“Karyn. I know. I like your body. I think your sexy. I....” he shies suddenly.

“You what?”

“I like that you let go. I like your body this way.

“You do? How? W-why?”

“Because, I like beautiful, thick women. And I really like you.” He leaned in and held his hand to my waist.

I don’t know what to think. My whole head spun. I sat hard on the bed, look him in the eyes, and not thinking I blurt.

“You like me because I got fat?”

“I like you more than that. I like your bigger body, yes. But you, who you are and your dreams, humor, that smile, your eyes. I’m liking you a lot more.” He plants one more kiss.

I give into him a little more. As we go back to enjoying ourselves I remember that if he likes how much I’ve gained than what about......

“What about Frank. Is he like you?”

“Like me? Haha. Yes. He is. More so than me. Karli couldn’t believe it either but...”

“KARLI KNOWS??” I jumped up again shocked trying to keep my voice down.

“Yes yes. She’s known for weeks. Tonight’s date was a celebration of him being open with her. And her embracing it. And them embracing each other.”

“That’s why she’s been blowing up so much? He’s been fattening her up this whole time?”

“Pretty much. But she loves it and loves him too. Frank tells me she feels wonderful being with him and comfortable after gaining all that weight. He’s mad for her.”

I swoon and everything in me is telling he this is kind of wrong but at the same time, why is is wrong? My sister is setting down with a man she’s crazy for. Isn’t that what all sisters want? So what if it means watching get double in size. I guess.

“Duncan you’ve been amazing tonight and I like you a lot. But I don’t know if I can be okay with this. I don’t think I want to be fat.”

He rubs my shoulder. “That’s fine, Karyn. I understand. But please don’t let what we have and feel go away because of it.”

“I know and I don’t. I don’t know what to do. This is a lot to think about.”

Just then I hear the growing chorus of Frank and Karli I’m the next room. This was both helping and not helping. I sit with Duncan and turn the TV on to drown out Frank and my sister. As the minutes turn to over an hour,  Duncan and I use this time to talk about everything again. My head under his chin, his hand making circles on my belly. And while I wasn’t seeing myself doing what Karli is, I couldn’t stop seeing myself with Duncan. I saw us, and seeing myself both losing and gaining weight with him. I’ve never had these feelings of conflict and happiness and confusion and interest. After a couple hours I ask a loaded question.

“Duncan?”

“Yes.” He quietly replies.

“I don’t want this cheesecake to go to waste. Would it be wrong to eat it. In front of you?”

“Yes and no. But I’ll be strong. I’ll fight my urges.” He lied confidently.

We laugh and I cuddle up to him. I open wrap on the plate and dig into the cheesecake.

I know he’s trying not to watch me, but knowing every bite has his attention leaves me wanting to keep eating. I feel happy. I feel cared about and seen. I feel my stomach getting full and not stopping to take a breath. I know I’m not making this easy for him. I can’t hurt him or myself. I turn to him and kiss him deeply. I put the cake between us and with one hand he pulls me in for another kiss while the other explores my hip and my thighs. My hands let go of the fork and press into him. He feels so good. Looking into his eyes I give me a look and almost like telepathy he grabs the fork from the plate, sinks it into the cake, and brings it to my mouth. I take a bite. And then another. And another. Lustfully, I sit up and I pull my dress off. My breasts bounced in their tight restrains, lifting for air, and I lay myself onto him with my full stomach and slight sweat on my cheek. I take the cake and put it on the end table. He moves closer and I meet him partway. The rest of my clothes and undergarments are done away by him and I rid him of his. I’ve never been so turned on by a man seeing me the way he saw me. I think to myself, “this is it.”

The rest of the night we filled ourselves with a bigger hunger and he was generous.

• 4 weeks later...

Months after our first night together, Duncan and I fell in love fast and hard. By the start of the holidays we were inseparable and I, myself, was exploring a fulfilling lifestyle I never saw myself enjoying as much as I have. Duncan was wasting no time opening my eyes to all the fun and spoils of gaining weight in our relationship. Week after week was a whirlwind of big meals, bigger snacks, and lots of hot and heavy sex. I wake up in his arms and until I see him after work my mind is on what he’s going to feed my with that night. I’ve started hiding snack cakes in my purse on the car drive to and from work, candy bars in my office desk, and thanks to dating a beer god, I drink plenty of his nectarous beer at home. It’s no wonder I blew up so fast. One night, while putting on my last pair of plus size lingerie I saw the scale in his bathroom staring at me. I had to see. I had to know. 

“I believe I was in the 150s when we first started going out. Wonder how many love pounds he sprang on me...” after a few moments the digital scale flashed. My eyes got wide and I had to step back and stare at myself in the mirror.

“215! I’ve blown up to 215 pounds!”

All that flashed in my head was the moment at the gym. The time Karli cried knowing she gained 60 pounds since Christmas and her words. “I can’t lose 60 pounds! I’m going to be fat forever!” I felt the same way. But this time...this time was happy. I almost screamed but  didn’t. A part of me was still like old Karyn and worried about getting fat. Old me wouldn’t have thought she’d ever see that number. Old me would have died knowing how enormous I looked. Beyond the point of no return. I had no choice not to look at myself in the mirror.

“Boy oh boy Karyn. You’ve gotten up to becoming a lot of woman.”

My hands wandering up and down. I could see and feel all 60 of those extra pounds now. Duncan’s beer filling my once chubby belly and ample bust into a full Oktoberfest celebration of gut and cleavage. Nights of pizza and ice cream pumped into my wiggly, jiggly ass. Heavy pastas and  their sauces weighing down my dimpled thighs and lumpy hips. My face, the thin and featured contours of my face, now puffed and cherub soft with not one but two whispers of a chin.

“He better truly love me because if he isn’t grossed out by the fat pig of a girlfriend he has made for himself than...”

“Than what, my dear?” Duncan whispers and he comes from behind and closes his big hands on my engorged torso.

I feel his heavy breath on my ear and his firm attention not far behind. I meet his hands and give his fingertips a kiss before putting them back to their mission.

“You look breathtaking, love.” He says to me in the mirror.

“All 215 pounds of me?” I give a sly response. He smiles and twirls me around. “Ooh. You liked that don’t you?”

“I love it. And I love you more. Come with me. I’d like to celebrate this little milestone elsewhere.”

“There’s nothing little about this milestone, Duncan. I’m about double what I weighed this time last year.”

“Are you okay with that?” He asks with a bit of concern.

“Being with you and knowing what I know, it does come at a surprise. But you make it easier to accept it.”

“That’s all I want. And you’re all I want. Forever.”

“Oh, Duncan. I love you. About that celebration.”

We leave the bathroom and make our way to the bedroom. Inside he had flickering candles and the dressers are lined with chocolates, red wine, and other sweets. He jumps to the bed and lets me know he’s ready to show me a wonderful time. I slink over to him in front of the bed, his eyes fixated on every inch and pound strained into my bustier and garters. We kiss and fondle and we find ourselves in our familiar state of naked and caressing each other. Tonight felt different and a little better than most nights. As he leaned closer to me I looked down and noticed he wasn’t wearing anything. We had never outright talked about this but I had definitely thought about it. The visions and the possibilities had played in my mind. Did they play in his too? I gave him a few seconds to think it over. To let him change his mind. I got closer, he readied himself. I brought him onto me and rested him just below. With one more big, handsome kiss I felt him. I felt all of him and we became one. I looked him in the eyes, nodded my head and smiled. He took the lead and gave me explosions I felt all the way to my toes. I didn’t eat a bite of the prepared food while we made love, but I fell asleep feeling fuller than I have ever been in my whole life.

• 1 month later...

The anniversary of my hesitant gap year is drawing near and to say I’ve gained a lot of life experience would be an understatement. I’ve gained a lot of everything! Coming home as this uncertain, directionless, whisper of a future college grad I looked back and forward to what’s happened to me and others in my life.

I’ve grown closer to my family, to caring about the restaurant my parents pour their heart and soul into, and more in love with what’s to come with Duncan. I used to hate working at the restaurant but being there more and helping my parents retire with peace of mind, I felt a part of their tradition, part of their love story. Over the holidays, I gave full control of the restaurant to my sister. She was taking better care of it than I ever was these last few months. She’s become a boss up front and in the kitchen. From a small and unimpressive hostess, to the boastful captain of the ship, caring about the quality of the food and the impression on the customers. Without full and happy customers, we would have gone under fast. “Hard to say the food is bad when the skinniest sister turned into the fattest woman in town on the cuisine!” Karli joked with a hearty belly laugh. But she wasn’t lying. Since her and Frank made it official to my parents last Fall, she’s made it her mission to become the fattest woman not only in Frank’s life but in the whole damn town! Halloween she spent the whole staff party “bobbing for apple pies” and drinking from the chocolate fountain with gluttonous gusto. On Thanksgiving, she pulled me aside and told me she surpassed 300 pounds. I wasn’t that far behind her at a hefty 245.

“I went to my doctor’s for my yearly physical and he told me he’s never, quote, seen anyone gain this much weight in such a short time, unquote!” Karli leapt with excitement. “But I think he liked it because he couldn’t keep his eyes off me.”

“That’s probably because he remembered how you looked before. Tight, athletic, and gorgeous. Literally almost a third of your size! I’m happy for you Karli, but you don’t look like yourself anymore. You look like someone reverse lipoed you with a Mack truck full of jelly filling.”

“Oh Karyn! You big exaggerater! I can stop when ever I want, I just choose not to.” She said stacking a third filled plate across her weighty arm.

I know I don’t have room to talk, or walk/sit/stand/or breathe seeing as I’d gone much further into the deep end with Duncan in terms of living my fattest life and filling myself up with Duncan since September, but Karli is rolling herself into critical mass. Over time closer to Christmas she took to my hints and Frank was great at being respectful and made sure she toned it down around family. Didn’t stop her from outgrowing Mom and Dad’s chairs and couches.

During Christmas my parents sat us four down and we talked about all that was going on with our love lives, them turning over the restaurant to us, and the elephants in the room...why their active, statuesque, and ambitious daughters have no less than engorged themselves into two vastly overweight, food-obsessed, and sluggish shadows of themselves. We were honest. They were not surprised. We guaranteed it would not affect our lives and the restaurant. They told us they were proud of us no matter what but to keep our sizes in check as best as we can.

“But this is not our blessing to let you both turn the restaurant into your personal all you can eat buffet!” My parents joked. But they weren’t lying.

That same Christmas, Frank popped the question to his almost 328 pound fiancé and struggled to squeeze the ring on her plump finger. As for me I was popping with a totally different surprise. Duncan and I buzzed no time or effort putting a little loaf in my oven. I’d known since late October, but when to tell Duncan and my family? Hmm....

I covered myself as much as I could throughout late winter and early spring. Surprisingly, being pregnant made me less hungry but still added inches to my waist and cleavage. Duncan loved watching me struggle to fix in all my clothes as I slowly expanded day-by-day. Finally I had to tell him and I knew the best way. On his birthday after I managed to stuff myself with dinner and dessert I took him back home, stripped off all my clothes except for my bra and panties and showed him my now prominent baby bump.

“My god, Karyn! This is amazing! I’m going to be a father! I love you!” I cried so hard at his reaction that I knew he was the man for me. In a sudden burst of hormones I shouted, “marry me, Duncan!” Without hesitation he picked all 270 pounds of me, gave me a kiss, and said “You beat me to it! Of course I want to marry you!” The sex that night was mind-blowing. If I wasn’t pregnant before that night I certainly would have been twice over.

I waited a few days to tell Frank and Karli, hoping she wouldn’t be mad. She was more confused than anything. “How did I not know you were pregnant? You look ready to pop!”

“So do you sister. You sure you’re not carrying a baby too?”

“Haha nope. I could be the way I’ve been eating! But could also be all the stress eating from planning the wedding. Only a few more months!”

“You still going to fit in your dress, right? Planning on that Karli?” I ask seriously.

“Yeah, I have some give in it. I tried in on last week to make sure I fit. It’s loose enough in the waist, but getting snug in the front.”

“Yeah mine has been getting tight all over. I may have to add more fabric to it and let it out to contain all this juiciness.” I laugh and circle my stomach and chest.

“Enough about the wedding you need to tell mom and dad tonight! Give them time to plan a baby shower for you!”

“You are surprisingly cool about this for a bride.”

“Weddings come and go! I know it’ll be perfect. I’m all for being in Aunt-mode as a side hustle!”

Later that night we, Duncan and myself, surprised my parents with dinner at the restaurant and pictures of their grandbaby. Funny thing, right after we told everyone my appetite kicked back on. Like a switch I wanted to eat like mad. So much for trying to be in some shape for the wedding. Oooh cake sounds good.

As the days to Karli’s wedding crept up so did my weight. I was 3 weeks away from giving birth and 2 weeks from waddling down the aisle as a Maid of Honor.

“I. AM. SO. ENORMOUS.”

I can’t see anything below my nose without help of a full length mirror. No bra can contain me. I’m became too fat for my biggest sweats. I tried on my MOH dress and Duncan couldn’t even zip it up! I asked him to tell me the number on the scale as a wake up call. He knew I wouldn’t want to hear it. I begged him, pleaded, told him I would leave him if he didn’t tell me. Finally he muttered, “2.....98.”

“Shit! I’m too fucking big! Why didn’t you stop me?!!”

“I did! I tried! But you started sleep-eating and I’m not always with you when you’re home alone.”

He was right. I was eating constantly, more than ever, and when I would hold back I’d wake up covered in crumbs and wrappers in the living room.

“I gotta lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks. My dress was hardly holding me as it was when I bought it.” I stared crying.

Determined, I took every pregnancy aerobic and water class I could. I cut down to only 4 meals a day. I cut out any drink that was sugar. Every day for 13 days. And on the night of the rehearsal I looked to the scale. Duncan looked down and then up at me, or what he could see of me. Slowly he stood up.

“Okay, babe. You ready?”

“Give it too me.”

“2...”

“OUT WITH IT!”

“276.2!”

I never thought I’d be so happy to hear I weigh that much. Now, to just hold off my cravings until after the cake is cut. Mmmm....wedding cake.

• 3 months later...

“My wedding day is here! Who’s ready from some mimosas?” Karli charged in the hotel room. Half naked and flopping out if every exposed part of her corset. That’s right, my now triple extra large and in charge sister insisted on a corset to cinch the problem areas.

“I would love one of I wasn’t filled to the brim with carrying this child” I laugh as I waddle past the bed and into squeeze into the bathroom to pee again.

“Well every wedding needs a preggo bridesmaid and I’m happy Duncan was able to deliver.”

“Ha-ha!” I fake a laugh.

The day was going to be perfect and after Karli and Frank say their I do’s they’ll be off on their European honeymoon and I’ll be free to enjoy the last days of pregnancy with a binge until the birth day. But today I’m in the moment for my beautiful sister. I walked, or could have rolled myself, down the aisle with Duncan. I think it’s the hormones talking but he was checking all the boxes even in my state. Round two? Ha ha...not yet. Frank looked handsome in his tux and looked like he was ready to cry. The music swelled and I fought back all the tears. Karli couldn’t. She was able to spit out her vows but other than that she was Niagara Falls in her gorgeous dress.

I was a little more distracted looking at the other bridesmaids. They looked like the before pictures of what Karli and I used to be. Not an ounce of fat on them. Hm. I wonder if Frank or Duncan have any more fat-loving cousins I can hook them up with?

Before long, the ceremony was over and my little sister was all married and starting her new life as a newlywed. As we walked out of the church and to our waiting escort bus, I started feeling an interesting sensation, not pain but a lot of activity. Guess my little one was ready to get the party started too.

Not much was amiss at the ceremony, I was able to dance a few songs before the weight was too much for me to stand any longer, Karli and Frank each had their own little cakes to share with Karli eating most of hers at the bridal table between songs. And luckily no baby coming out on my sister’s day!

Fast forward to their honeymoon, they fell in love with all the stops throughout and favored Italy and Germany for obvious culinary reasons. Duncan kept them up to date in case we went into labor and Frank kept us in the loop of his futile attempt to keep Karli from outgrowing her seat on the return flight home.

They made it back with just a day and a half to spare. “Any longer and my lovely wife would have needed an extra seatbelt extender and an extra seat!” Laughter filled their apartment with the exception of Karli who admitted her plan to eat her way thru her honeymoon was met and exceeded.

“I think I’ll slow down a bit. Maybe shed a few tons.”

“You’re not that much fatter, sister.” I said with a hand to her lap.

“There’s no convincing me of this. I came home and stepped on the industrial grade scale I bought after maxing the last one. From the about 30 pounds I gained during our engagement and the extra 10 just on our honeymoon I’m a blue ribbon sow at almost 400 pounds! Frank why didn’t you stop me?”

Frank quickly said, because my love for my newlywed wife grows as she does! I love every inch and every pound!” Coming in for a kiss.

“Okay, cheeseball. BUT you’re dead if I reach 500 and don’t say a word!”

“Of course baby.”

To give a visual, Karli was indeed way too large now. It was like watching a string bean turn into a pumpkin. She was just...round and layered with rolls, her neck had since long disappeared and over it was a doughy, round face with pursed lips. I thought I had grown the biggest rack for pregnancy boobs but hers put mine to shame! I don’t even think I can come up with her new size and measurements. Frank looks small next to her now and he hulked over her when they first went out. But I think she’s learned her limits especially if she’s soon to be the main boss while I’m out on leave. A lot of running. Catch my drift?

After going back to Duncan’s and sleeping off our reunion dinner I awoke to the sharp pain everyone told me about. THAT. PAIN. I’ll spare you the gory details but after a lot of pushing and on little more than ice chips our son was born. Healthy and magnificent. Thanks to not carrying him and sufficient, but not overly, feeding him I lost a good amount of my own weight. Almost 25 pounds. This was a wake up call for both myself and Duncan. And over the next year I put myself on a health kick. I vowed I wouldn’t reach 300 and kept to it. I shrank down to 215 in almost as much time as I was pregnant. I have the curves and size Duncan loves on me while feeling womanly and secure to not need to get back down to the “before” me. Just in time too. While my belly was shrinking, Karli’s was growing fast. She and Frank’s room service escapades resulted in a surprise souvenir. I had a lot of bigger than I care to admit maternity wares for Karli to grow into. Frank made sure she didn’t hit 500. She got close a few times, but I stepped in to make her mom bod fit for delivery. 

While readying the grandchildren, my parents officially handed over the restaurant to Karli and myself, signed the final paperwork, and financed the down payment for Frank and Duncan to open a second restaurant. We open sometime next year and our hungry customers are excited to expand their palates further! And just as everything began with love in the restaurant between my parents, so now is it on Karli and myself to continue growing as a family here at L'amant Engraissé.