Bluebell's 2019

swahilimonkfish

You’re really talented. There is an intimate grit to this story, I like it. 

At first it seemed strange that she was putting on a binge-eating amount of weight without binge eating, but then I am now realizing that must be part of the disassociation the character is making with her shifts in habit. 

Anyway, thanks for posting this here. I think the references to politics and events just make her a more real character—places her as a person in a real place at a real point in time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 6:09 AM, swahilimonkfish said:

I love the idea of her volunteering to help in some capacity. Given her old job, maybe back to support in a care home. And I think it's the best platform to discuss covid in a wg story that doesn't feel trite or disrespectful. Good idea 👍

That’s kind of fun—the way that you’ve set this story up, this character could be read well into the future 🥰

• 2 weeks later...

This is such great stuff. Authentic characters and well-developed vignettes are loaded with interest. 

My only thought is how the Bluebell character (or parents) would be so unaware of her binge eating. To gain that much weight that fast, people generally are consuming inhuman amounts of food. Just trying to understand what’s happening, if she’s eating loads in private and hiding the evidence, or somewhat unaware of her behavior. Is her eating subconsciously keeping her from dating and it being ‘discovered’?

As you can tell, I love the realness of this story! ❤️

1 hour ago, swahilimonkfish said:

Thanks so much. I love how invested you are, it's really reassuring.

As for the weight gain, I split the arc in my head into a series of incremental changes. At first, it was just the indulgent lifestyle she'd always had and grown up with, supplemented by drinking. That was the thin stage. Then she and everyone realised, but she lashed out to spite everyone and they were aware (though she hid it as best she could). That was the transition stage. Then her birthday came and they all sort of unofficially came to accept her eating habits as part of who she was. That was the fat stage and they just normalised it. And this? This was supposed to be the epiphany about how they had normalised it, and how abnormal this new normal was. I love weight gain stories that explore these shifting normalities, where people's eating habits are crazy, but there's nobody impartial around to point it out. 

I love your idea of it subconsciously affecting her dating life. I think her lack of dating is more like it's tied to her self confidence, her perception of self, and her feelings about Bosh. But also, when I ended the story originally, I really wanted to write a story that didn't end with the character's self realisation being tied up with being in a relationship. But now I've restarted it, I guess I need to explore new ideas. 

Thank you so much for the kind words and support though

No problem! I hoped the feedback would be encouraging and honest!

The slow escalation bit makes sense. I only brought up the eating bit because I experienced firsthand how much food you have to be eating to gain that much that fast. If you’re big and still piling on weight fast, your eating habits are likely to a point that it would shock or disgust anyone else, and that just makes you want to hide it all to save you from “that” conversation, if you know what I mean. 

This is one of the more relatable stories I’ve seen, which is so hard to capture in writing. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, swahilimonkfish said:

Thanks! Maybe needs to be a bit more WG-centric if people keep forgetting it's a WG story lol!

No, I think it’s great. It’s real. The months and years go by as life happens and then you realize, “f*ck, when did I get THIS big?!”

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, swahilimonkfish said:

I mean, that's their purpose, right?

And thanks for your kind words, yet again. Except, I'm afraid this chapter has a long way to go still. It was always gonna be a hefty one, but I'm up to part 4 currently and trying to stop a fifth. This chapter - this year's penultimate - is the Bluebell equivalent of a Game of Thrones episode 9. This quick and sweet starter is not an indicator of where it's going to go, I'm afraid. It's a rollercoaster to write, I can tell you that much

I’m excited to read the rest, then! You’re so good with these things. 

And “twists and turns” is very apropos at the moment lol... 🗳 🕰 

• 1 month later...