I can't handle the Connecticut bleating on Facebook

bdog

All this talk of McDonald's and chicken nuggets is making me hungry.

Best response ever.

Here's what happens:

1) Someone responded to this thread (caiti)

2) Steam already begins to come out of nose and ears while clicking on thread

3) Reads response is "All this talk of McDonald's and chicken nuggets is making me hungry." and really cannot do anything but laugh. Like waiting to fight something coming around the corner, for it to be only a bunny.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest flamins

Best response ever.

Here's what happens:

1) Someone responded to this thread (caiti)

2) Steam already begins to come out of nose and ears while clicking on thread

3) Reads response is "All this talk of McDonald's and chicken nuggets is making me hungry." and really cannot do anything but laugh. Like waiting to fight something coming around the corner, for it to be only a bunny.

This is because fat chicks bring peace and goodwill to all men.

That's not what this is about, Klaus. Europe is full of faults, problems and idiots. Personally, I couldn't care less about Europe.

It's Queen Victoria's smug attitude about the US and his unwillingness to see/blindness to the fact that the US is not always better as other countries, or that there are countries which on some points outperform/outclass/outwhatever the US, while he keeps holding on to his dream about the grandeur of America, what this is about.

And he's not alone in that behavior.

I often imagine Americans engulfed in a massive nationwide circlejerk over the red, white and blue flag of America. Nothing wrong with a healthy sense of pattriotism, but holy shit, get your head out of ass.

I agree with you on this. The greatest strengths of this country--optimism, confidence, innovation--also have their massive downsides. Optimism can turn to ignorance of reality, confidence to arrogance, and innovation into a sense of complacency. We're at a place in our history where this has become true. But I also love my country--in particular my state.

And arrogance can turn to imperialism. See; Iraq, Nicaragua, Cuba, Russia, Vietnam et al.

Don't get me wrong, I think the vast majority of Britain's foreign (and domestic) policy is thoroughly reprehensible too.

Not to nit pick, but I feel like arrogance being a source of imperialism is a bit too over simplified. It's a dialectical relationship. The ruling class, with their natural need to imperialize, foster arrogance with propaganda, in the forms of video games, movies, literature, and other forms of media (See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4157QYY3o4 ). The rest of us who are raised on a diet of propaganda, adopt it as our primary mode of thought and more importantly we begin to enjoy it, so we buy into it. Hence the fact that we were raised on a diet of mindless "patriotism" means that eventually we learn to love this diet since it is all we know, and our love of it creates an industry to feed our demand for propaganda. This industry depends on the mindless patriotism of our peers, so for the sake of it's survivial and prosperity it increases the amount of mindless patriotism by lacing it's products even further with it. 

Not to nit pick, but I feel like arrogance being a source of imperialism is a bit too over simplified. It's a dialectical relationship. The ruling class, with their natural need to imperialize, foster arrogance with propaganda, in the forms of video games, movies, literature, and other forms of media (See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4157QYY3o4 ). The rest of us who are raised on a diet of propaganda, adopt it as our primary mode of thought and more importantly we begin to enjoy it, so we buy into it. Hence the fact that we were raised on a diet of mindless "patriotism" means that eventually we learn to love this diet since it is all we know, and our love of it creates an industry to feed our demand for propaganda. This industry depends on the mindless patriotism of our peers, so for the sake of it's survivial and prosperity it increases the amount of mindless patriotism by lacing it's products even further with it.

I might go as far as to say that this^ is an over-complication. 

Imperialism happens because one culture fails to consider, or refuses to acknowledge, the validity that another culture, and/or fails to realize that even purely market driven behaviors, carried out on a global scale, have unintended negative consequences in terms of cultural diversity. 

More simply, when one culture encounters another, there is an instinct to annihilate, assimilate, integrate, or isolate.  All but the last have a negative impact on cultural diversity. 

To assume that there's some underlying mechanism of top-down propaganda that sustains cultural imperialism probably gives the various accused social institutions too much credit. 

There are a myriad of unquantifiable and unrecognisable factors at play. It was intellectually dishonest of me to post something so simplified.

Nothing wrong with your post.  In context of the off-topic rants about "which place is best, America or Europe?" your comment was totally valid.  And since any discussion of the shootings, or the public's reaction, naturally devolves into a debate over gun control, Europeans and Americans are gonna have it out.

That said, if everyone had this response to the shootings themselves, we'd all be in better shape. So bravo, sir! 

Late to the game but I can't imagine somebody not feeling down about the world when any child dies in such a horrible manner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Syrian_civil_war

What about that woman who got gang raped on a bus in India, then assaulted. She died yesterday.

True she was 23 and there was only one but it's pretty horrible to me, way more horrible than being shot dead instantly.

Late to the game but I can't imagine somebody not feeling down about the world when any child dies in such a horrible manner.

That's the whole point of this thread. Kids are dying in MUCH MORE horrifying ways every minute of every day and I only saw an uproar for about a week after this rare shooting. People have a right to be bothered by it, but I'd take that shit a lot more seriously if they were also talking about (and doing something to help) all the other kids dying slow and painful deaths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Syrian_civil_war

What about that woman who got gang raped on a bus in India, then assaulted. She died yesterday.

True she was 23 and there was only one but it's pretty horrible to me, way more horrible than being shot dead instantly.

Like I said I feel bad about horrific events no matter who it happens to.

That's the whole point of this thread. Kids are dying in MUCH MORE horrifying ways every minute of every day and I only saw an uproar for about a week after this rare shooting. People have a right to be bothered by it, but I'd take that shit a lot more seriously if they were also talking about (and doing something to help) all the other kids dying slow and painful deaths.

The fact it is rare is kind of the point of why it caused such an uproar and I'm pretty sure actually talking about this kind of event can lead to some effort to helping other situations for some people.

The fact it is rare is kind of the point of why it caused such an uproar and I'm pretty sure actually talking about this kind of event can lead to some effort to helping other situations for some people.

Oh yeah? How's that gonna work? Has UNICEF received more donations since some suburban kids were shot at school? Have your local food banks or homeless shelters received an increase in donations since everybody started arguing about gun control and protecting middle class white kids by arming their teachers? No.

Guest flamins

Oh yeah? How's that gonna work? Has UNICEF received more donations since some suburban kids were shot at school? Have your local food banks or homeless shelters received an increase in donations since everybody started arguing about gun control and protecting middle class white kids by arming their teachers? No.

I think we can all internet-agree that it's actually pretty obvious that some middle class white kids actually are a heck of a lot more valuable than some starving Africans or Syrians or whatever.  Sure, it doesn't sound too great when you say it out loud, but we all know it's true.

Why such hostility to people feeling bad about children being killed? And they weren't "some kids" they were human beings.

I think we can all internet-agree that it's actually pretty obvious that some middle class white kids actually are a heck of a lot more valuable than some starving Africans or Syrians or whatever.  Sure, it doesn't sound too great when you say it out loud, but we all know it's true.

Taking into account that they most probably think the same way about us (if they think about us at all)... yeah... sure... you're right.

Why such hostility to people feeling bad about children being killed? And they weren't "some kids" they were human beings.

Someone once said that love without truth is sentimentality.  The truth is that thousands of children die every day of starvation and disease.  The truth is that American drone strikes have killed far more innocents than the shooter in Connecticut.  The truth is that the vast majority of the pious folks on Facebook don't do jack shit about it 365 days a year.  I'm not judging that, but what annoys the fuck out me is when people have their eyes so tightly shut that they actually think they're kind and compassionate people because they feel sad when kids get slaughtered.  Is that what it takes for people to cry and be upset?

Someone once said that love without truth is sentimentality.  The truth is that thousands of children die every day of starvation and disease.  The truth is that American drone strikes have killed far more innocents than the shooter in Connecticut.  The truth is that the vast majority of the pious folks on Facebook don't do jack shit about it 365 days a year.  I'm not judging that, but what annoys the fuck out me is when people have their eyes so tightly shut that they actually think they're kind and compassionate people because they feel sad when kids get slaughtered.  Is that what it takes for people to cry and be upset?

Feeling compassionate for other people is one part of being kind but certainly doing something to make the lives of others easier is another part.

It is because it touches people too close to THEM. So that is why they "care"... and not the quotes... they "care" because suddenly it ALMOST... almost... touched THEM.

I cried when I read the articles online after it first happened. I am not without empathy. I have elementary school age children in my life and I can't even imagine what they went through.

But I'm not going to post about it all day and share a thousand tribute pictures and talk incessantly about praying for them when children are dying of starvation and preventable diseases ALL OVER THE WORLD. It's ridiculous, and you're ridiculous if you can't see that.

I cried when I read the articles online after it first happened. I am not without empathy. I have elementary school age children in my life and I can't even imagine what they went through.

But I'm not going to post about it all day and share a thousand tribute pictures and talk incessantly about praying for them when children are dying of starvation and preventable diseases ALL OVER THE WORLD. It's ridiculous, and you're ridiculous if you can't see that.

So what difference does it make what others do? Why complain about how they grieve for such a tragic event?

Makes me feel pretty heartless lol.

I didn't even cry at my grandmothers funeral, let alone some random people I don't know who got shot.

*goes off to reevaluate how much empathy he has...*