Is the "body positivity" movement fake?

PhatCat

• Curvage Model
On 3/27/2021 at 10:11 AM, PhatCat said:

It really sucks to hear how negative this movement really is. It seems like most of the people who are for "body positivity" are like a size 14-18. There's no room for people bigger than that. And anyone who is a size 8-12 is not big enough to be body positive, yet they're too big to be slim.

I think this is because between 8-12 you don’t have a “body by default” eg being thin enough to see the curves of your skeleton, and you’re not big enough to have your fat crease at your waist which creates an hour glass on most people. Sure, body type is a thing, but you’ll notice this is true—people lose their hour glass shape between size 8-12 and then get it back after getting to a certain size. 

which just comes all the fuck back around to the message is really “don’t be ugly.” Don’t be shaped weird. It’s wayyy easier to look “good” (hourglass) thin than it is to look “good” fat. To me, each pound just increases how unrealistic the standard is. So it’s “okay to be fat” as long as you have a define jaw, high cheekbones, tight body skin, and an hourglass.

if body positivity were real, it would include people of any size that were outside of the Standard™️. It does to some extent, but not really. Most people take it to mean “fat positivity” which as debated above, it isn’t really. 

again... any hashtag, which is all this is, DO NOT confuse it with a social movement, is just advertising. I think “BLM” and “me too” are probably the only real exceptions, but effyourbeautystandards all that shit, it’s to sell clothes, makeup, and hair products. It’s a lie.

51 minutes ago, goodgirlgrow said:

Some of y’all really still think being fat means you have an addiction or disorder... 

As someone who's been a part of the FA/BBW community since the early 2000's I can attest that an individual suffering from body dysmorphia can have their case worsened by body positivity or what it was called back in the day "size acceptance", I've seen it more on the modeling side of things with the girls who've gained a lot of weight, I'm talking hundreds of pounds or more, it gets to the point where it's no longer just sexual or about acceptance and it becomes something that defines who they are as a person and even if the negatives out weigh(no pun intended) the positives these individuals will refuse to do anything about it because they wouldn't know what to do with themselves without their size.

Guest grateful
On 3/28/2021 at 9:19 AM, NogutNoglory said:

Also until the name of the website is changed from Curvage to Gainage and the modeling contract states that the models are required to gain weight I plan on enjoying my time here.

"Gainage"   😂  Great idea!    A parting of the FA seas!   And I won't tell anyone where I would end up!!!    😁😮

@NogutNoglory  love all your comments!   🥰

• Curvage Model
11 minutes ago, grateful said:

"Gainage"   😂  Great idea!    A parting of the FA seas!   And I won't tell anyone where I would end up!!!    😁😮

@NogutNoglory  love all your comments!   🥰

That was sarcasm. I just don’t think it makes sense to say this website is about body positivity when so many men here tell you that you need to change. I don’t even consider people who are obsessed with others gaining actual FA’s.  FAs are people who are sexually attracted to real fat people, not people who only see what they want someone to be. (Before everyone jumps all over me, I’m an actual real FA)

But with any group, body positivity, or here - there will always become some type of standard or ideal even if that was not the original intention. That is why I am not really a “team player” I just do what I want to and some people don’t like it, but you don’t need to troll me.

I don't comment here often any more, but as a 40+ FA here is my 2 pence worth.

If you can tell a member who is kind enough to share pictures of themselves "You are beautiful" without adding "and will look amazing with with a few extra pound" in your head or less graciously in your message, then you are probably a fairly considerate FA / human being.

If not then, well I'm sure you can tell me I'm wrong, in between telling real human women with lives and minds of their own, they need to eat more and get fatter to make you happy.

I get a kick out of weight gain as much as the next FA with feeding tendencies, but offline and in the real world it is all about the person and not the poundage.

And that folks is me done commenting for another 5+ years

Be kind to each other.

Talk AND more importantly listen.

Enjoy curvage in all its forms.

• Curvage Model
1 hour ago, bunter69 said:

I don't comment here often any more, but as a 40+ FA here is my 2 pence worth.

If you can tell a member who is kind enough to share pictures of themselves "You are beautiful" without adding "and will look amazing with with a few extra pound" in your head or less graciously in your message, then you are probably a fairly considerate FA / human being.

If not then, well I'm sure you can tell me I'm wrong, in between telling real human women with lives and minds of their own, they need to eat more and get fatter to make you happy.

I get a kick out of weight gain as much as the next FA with feeding tendencies, but offline and in the real world it is all about the person and not the poundage.

And that folks is me done commenting for another 5+ years

Be kind to each other.

Talk AND more importantly listen.

Enjoy curvage in all its forms.

No!!!! Why!?!? You are a genius and you actually have a grip on reality!!!! That is so rare and so important!!! I would definitely like to hear more of what you have to say!!! The only thing I would say to that is that people can say whatever they want in their head, it’s the typing of it that I don’t get!

Guest Thiccprincess67

I don't really post anywhere very much as I feel a lot of these subjects are pretty contravertial and I'm not here for the drama 😂 but here goes. 

Personally I have found that a lot of good has come from the body positivity movement. That being said it is extremely gate keepy in that if you want to be "popular" on social media like Instagram etc you do have to fit into a certain standard that society deems appropriate. 

I've seen a few discussions in this so far about lots of different aspects of it. Again this is all me speaking personally. 

Social media can be extremely dangerous in that it can either boost positivity, or boost dangerous lifestyles. This doesn't just go for fat people it also goes for anorexic people too (perfect example of someone very current is Eugenia Cooney but that's another story for another day). We can very easily draw a blind eye to the dangers of what's happens behind the screen.

All that being said I have found a few safe spaces online that really have uplifted thousands of girls. Not just here but closed groups on Facebook etc I have found extremely comforting. It's not just about being sexualised (while it's nice, it's not always something I need to make myself feel worthy, sometimes I just need a lovely group of babes to tell me I look cute without telling me to get fatter or that I'm sexy or even make a comment about my fatness. Sometimes I just wanna be me) it's about having a group of other babes gassing each other up and accepting EVERY body type. Not just girls with an industry standard, plus size body. There are plenty of girls that just wanna appreciate their tums without it having to be a big thing. It's a safe space to talk about how shitty you feel sometimes and to have others who sympathise with that give advice or even just pop a lil thing saying your beaut don't ever change. Again though, where do we draw the line? There have been instances where some of the people in these groups have had some serious health problems that are directly caused by their weight and all they want to do is just stay the same. I understanding wanting to be accepted and that life's too short to worry about these things, but why make it any shorter? Or make it so you can't enjoy EVERYTHING to its fullest. 

Another discussion I've seen here is about fashion. People were on the subject of low cut jeans and bikinis. I personally have not seen many women walking around with their bellys out, either on the street or at the beach. For me, it's mainly a comfort thing and also simply because I like the look of high waisted jeans. Having something under my belly is pretty painful and I love the round shape that high waisted stuff gives me. I prefer that hourglass shape. Not to say every shape isn't beautiful, but for my body and how I want to present myself, a high waisted pair of jeans and a cool t-shirt are what I go for. Fashion also has a way of repeating itself. The current fashion is to have high waisted trouser and jeans and I'm sure at some point, low riders are gonna make a come back. I don't think that today's fashion is neccesarilly about encouraging fat girls to hide, if anything I feel that it's slowly normalising us all seeing larger women in whatever clothes they want eg crop tops and mini skirts. For a long time, especially as a kid, I remember all the plus sized women in the public eye being covered head to toe pretty much. It's incredily refreshing to see larger women getting more recognition. But again, a lot of them fall under that category of what the media deems an appropriate standard of woman. I do also find it pretty disgusting that larger actresses get type cast a lot, usually as the fat funny one that no guy goes for in a movie. Never the big girl that just likes to feel sexy.

I'm getting off track but just to kind of summarise. I agree that it's a very complex subject, there is a lot of good to come from it, all be it a lot of the real good has come from women doing things off their own back and not neccesarilly anything to do with the media as a whole or society, but from my own personal experience, it has been more uplifting to see some form of change going on in the world with regards to big women. 💜 Sorry for the essay, it's just something I feel quite strongly about and it's taken a lot for me to even get to a place where I feel good enough about myself to post semi-bare pictures and videos of myself here, let alone be myself anywhere else. I really feel that we have a long way to go still and that there is a lot of stigma around being fat still, but my hopes are that this body positivity movement is paving the way for us big, chonky, fat, beautiful people. 💜 

On 3/28/2021 at 1:23 PM, Dr. Feeder said:

I believe it can mean that.

Unless it's your choice. Then you're golden!

Being fat can mean a number of things. It can certainly mean that you have an eating disorder. It can mean that you eat more because you choose to be fat. But it can also be caused by medications or by some other bodily issues that will mean that no change in eating habits or exercise can change the fact that someone is fat. I have a friend who eats healthy foods, does not overeat, and works out a lot. Yet she's still fat. We need a successful body positivity movement for people like her who have no choice but to be fat. She can't change, and both society and herself need to accept it.

But even for people with eating disorders, they need to love their bodies. An eating disorder isn't a choice. People need to be able to love their bodies, even if such a disorder means that their body doesn't follow society's physical ideals.

The only time that body positivity actually glorifies obesity is when someone is choosing to be gain and be fat. This is probably less common than the other scenarios and isn't the purpose of the body positivity movement. And these people don't need the body positivity movement if being fat is what they want.

We need the body positivity to help people who aren't choosing to be fat. Society needs to understand that fat can be natural, that it's not a fault in someone's character, and that it can be beautiful.

1 hour ago, PhatCat said:

Being fat can mean a number of things. It can certainly mean that you have an eating disorder. It can mean that you eat more because you choose to be fat. But it can also be caused by medications or by some other bodily issues that will mean that no change in eating habits or exercise can change the fact that someone is fat. I have a friend who eats healthy foods, does not overeat, and works out a lot. Yet she's still fat. We need a successful body positivity movement for people like her who have no choice but to be fat. She can't change, and both society and herself need to accept it.

But even for people with eating disorders, they need to love their bodies. An eating disorder isn't a choice. People need to be able to love their bodies, even if such a disorder means that their body doesn't follow society's physical ideals.

The only time that body positivity actually glorifies obesity is when someone is choosing to be gain and be fat. This is probably less common than the other scenarios and isn't the purpose of the body positivity movement. And these people don't need the body positivity movement if being fat is what they want.

We need the body positivity to help people who aren't choosing to be fat. Society needs to understand that fat can be natural, that it's not a fault in someone's character, and that it can be beautiful.

I agree with this...I guess when she said "disorders" I was thinking of not just eating disorders but other medical conditions that might cause weight-gain or require medications that have weight-gain as a side effect.

On 4/3/2021 at 3:09 PM, Qwertz1234 said:

It's moderately often the case, especially in very fat people. Very few people choose to be fat. 

Yeah, being fat is either a disorder (mental or physical) or a choice. And by fat, I mean obese, not just being 20 pounds overweight and having a ** belly. In either case we should be understanding of disorders and be accepting of people's personal choices that don't hurt others.

On 3/28/2021 at 11:17 AM, goodgirlgrow said:

Some of y’all really still think being fat means you have an addiction or disorder... 

If a human being is obsessed with food and spends most of their waking hours eating or looking for something to eat at the expense of life itself, if they spend evenings hiding away, bingeing far, far past the point of hunger, if they have deep-seated trauma which they assuage with food to the point where they constantly eat themselves sick, if they ingest litres and litres of soda, knowing what they are doing to their kidneys and pancreas but continuing anyway, if they keep food in their backpack, in their car, or always within instant reach, if they have serious medical problems due to their weight and choose to keep bingeing, one might say "there is a problem."  

There is one gainer I know who said her gaining process was actually pretty miserable, it involved not going out with her friends on weekends and instead choosing to isolate with mounds of junk food, which she would eat past the point of feeling like shit. And gaining the proverbial hundred pounds, alone, and collecting money from Pantreon. 

If a person simply loves food and dislikes exercise and are genetically predisposed to gaining weight and they just get sweetly plump, then fat, then enormous, they feel good about themselves and in their world, their connection to life, to work, to family, to their community, well, go nuts! That's my type of woman. That's body positivity, but also life positivity.

• Curvage Model
On 1/25/2020 at 2:35 AM, PhatCat said:

Fat people don't seem all that confident about being fat despite the supposed social acceptance of it now. 10-20 years ago you'd see girl showing off their fat bellies in tight shirts, crop tops, low-rise jeans and shorts, the tiniest miniskirts, and string bikinis. Society was pushing for girls to show off their bodies. While society only told skinny girls to show off their bodies, fat girls wanted to do the same. And they wore the same revealing clothes that skinny girls did.

Now fat girls are encouraged to hold in their stomachs with high-waisted jeans, high-waisted bikini bottoms or shapewear. They wear loose tops to hide their upper bodies.

This "body positivity" is only a way to mask being fat, not to accept it. It's taking pictures from slimming angles, until the hundreth picture doesn't make you look like such a fatty. It's telling girls they can wear bikinis, but they need to wear high-waisted "fatkinis" because you need to hold in your gut. Girls are told they can have big boobs and a big butt, but a gut is never attractive. This is not a positive message.

My girlfriend was 30 pounds overweight when she was a teenager 15-20 years ago, and she loved wearing string bikinis. She said she was thick but didn't have a belly, so she thought she looked good in a bikini. (I've seen pictures of her then and she definitely had a bit of a belly). Nobody ever criticized the way she looked in a bikini or gave her mean looks. She said everyone was chubby and showed it all off, and nobody got shit for it.

I still see that at the beach. I think there are still more fat girls letting their guts hang loose than there are fat girls holding in their guts. Girls want to wear proper bikinis because they don't want to be the fat girl who wears the fatkini.

This is true body positivity. It's not succumbing to being society's "fat person".

But you see less of girls showing off their fat on social media than they did 10 years ago. Now they're expected to have perfectly edited photos and look perfect. The "body positive" Instagrammers are the worst offenders. They're just fakers who don't really love their bodies.

Body positivity means that everybody deserves respect. It doesn't matter if it's not beautiful. That is, you as a human being deserve respect even if you don't reflect the canonical ideal of beauty. You as a human being deserve respect even if you are the first to not see yourself as beautiful. It is not a question of beauty; it is a question of human decency. No one has the duty to like themselves and others, but everyone has the right to respect and be respected. This is what the movement says, which in fact is a political movement and not a slogan to be used to increase the turnover of some company that creates lines of body-positive clothes in sizes up to large. A movement born of fat women, black and often not heterosexual. 

I saw the most beautiful young woman at the grocery store the other day, tall, dressed, made up - and a naked jelly roll hanging over her jeans, pooching out and clearly on display. That's body positivity to me - doing it in public, not just on Insta for your fans. She was gorgeous and she knew it and there was zero chance to interact - her face and energy said 'I am just trying to shop right now, please do not HMU."

The only problem is when a girl with a belly exposes that belly, it's like she's pulling up her shirt and showing her boobs as far as the reaction it produces in me!

Big subject, many points of view.

I was in (this southern state) about a month ago and, at my hotel, which was huge, there were dozens of enormous women with flab on display, la la la...good to see. Didn't help me sleep, though! 

On 4/16/2021 at 3:53 AM, Wendy said:

Body positivity means that everybody deserves respect. It doesn't matter if it's not beautiful. That is, you as a human being deserve respect even if you don't reflect the canonical ideal of beauty. You as a human being deserve respect even if you are the first to not see yourself as beautiful. It is not a question of beauty; it is a question of human decency. No one has the duty to like themselves and others, but everyone has the right to respect and be respected. This is what the movement says, which in fact is a political movement and not a slogan to be used to increase the turnover of some company that creates lines of body-positive clothes in sizes up to large. A movement born of fat women, black and often not heterosexual. 

Is being body positive not about being positive about your own body and other people's bodies, no matter the type of body? Is it not about seeing that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, not just in what the media tells us is beautiful? This is what I was led the believe this movement meant. I thought people already knew that it was disrespectful to judge people for being fat.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading about how with kids these days bringing back low-waisted jeans, millennials are mad because they promote fat-phobia and encourage being skinny, and that high-waisted jeans have helped body positivity because they take the focus off the body. So isn't the fear of low-waisted jeans hurting things? Why don't body-positive people just show off their fat if they want to be positive about their size? It needs to be normalized for society.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 5:30 PM, PhatCat said:

I was just reading about how with kids these days bringing back low-waisted jeans, millennials are mad because they promote fat-phobia and encourage being skinny, and that high-waisted jeans have helped body positivity because they take the focus off the body. So isn't the fear of low-waisted jeans hurting things? Why don't body-positive people just show off their fat if they want to be positive about their size? It needs to be normalized for society.

Low-waisted jeans are making a comeback? That's great news! I haven's seen any yet, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.