Is the "body positivity" movement fake?

PhatCat

Fat people don't seem all that confident about being fat despite the supposed social acceptance of it now. 10-20 years ago you'd see girl showing off their fat bellies in tight shirts, crop tops, low-rise jeans and shorts, the tiniest miniskirts, and string bikinis. Society was pushing for girls to show off their bodies. While society only told skinny girls to show off their bodies, fat girls wanted to do the same. And they wore the same revealing clothes that skinny girls did.

Now fat girls are encouraged to hold in their stomachs with high-waisted jeans, high-waisted bikini bottoms or shapewear. They wear loose tops to hide their upper bodies.

This "body positivity" is only a way to mask being fat, not to accept it. It's taking pictures from slimming angles, until the hundreth picture doesn't make you look like such a fatty. It's telling girls they can wear bikinis, but they need to wear high-waisted "fatkinis" because you need to hold in your gut. Girls are told they can have big boobs and a big butt, but a gut is never attractive. This is not a positive message.

My girlfriend was 30 pounds overweight when she was a teenager 15-20 years ago, and she loved wearing string bikinis. She said she was thick but didn't have a belly, so she thought she looked good in a bikini. (I've seen pictures of her then and she definitely had a bit of a belly). Nobody ever criticized the way she looked in a bikini or gave her mean looks. She said everyone was chubby and showed it all off, and nobody got shit for it.

I still see that at the beach. I think there are still more fat girls letting their guts hang loose than there are fat girls holding in their guts. Girls want to wear proper bikinis because they don't want to be the fat girl who wears the fatkini.

This is true body positivity. It's not succumbing to being society's "fat person".

But you see less of girls showing off their fat on social media than they did 10 years ago. Now they're expected to have perfectly edited photos and look perfect. The "body positive" Instagrammers are the worst offenders. They're just fakers who don't really love their bodies.

Democracy does not totally speak to the whole people. Monarchy is not always the sacred institution it desite so much to be. Left is right. Right is left. Thicanma is Skinnyrihanna in some othet parts of the world. We're still waiting the Snyder cut of the "Justice League" movie. Trump is in Switzerland. "Mad Men" is overrated. Roses are red.

Nothing is perfect. A specific generation of 25-to-55 years old (predominantly male) angry individuals over the Internet tend to misleadingly hold that bizzare preconception from which what any incoming movement should be necessarily achieve some Savioresque degree of success, but I have to go straight with you: that narrative is wrong.

We cannot deal with absolutes. In any social movement aiming for geniune, positive welfare, we found geniune people, the sheep and the wolves. If we want to put an end to this, that is most certainly not Body Positivity who's going to save human society from being flawed. But we cannot dismiss neither the benefits this movement has brought to society.

But well, enough of that bickering mansplaining. Let the ladies have their word about it fpr once, shall we? 

Guest CurvyAsianxo

I think it is fake for a lot of people. It is very hard to really get comfortable with yourself and just saying you are isn't the same as feeling it. 

Complete agree once again dude

Yeah so much for "body positivity" 

Hide your lower stomach and be positive about fat lololololz

Doesn't make sense. Yeah it seems fake. It's to mask or hide being fat.

I think days before the fat positive trend were much better. There was less girls hiding there fat. Much more confident girls who actually showed off there belly!! 

Guest grateful

@John Smith   IOW   take the smartest woman in the world and fatten her up and the planet can be ruled by a fat queen 😁

and her court can be all the other smartest women fattened to close her weight but not over...

I think the world would be better!  😁

Women know stuff, and fat women are beautiful and know stuff too!   LOL 

(all seriousness aside)

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking from second-hand experience, girls tucking in their bellies into their pants doesn't necessarily seem to  be a body-positivity issue, but more an issue of comfort. For the rest i agree, it's easy to say you're completely happy with yourself as a statement. It's something else when you can't fit into your favorite attraction at an amusement park however.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 7:03 PM, Ioptup said:

Speaking from second-hand experience, girls tucking in their bellies into their pants doesn't necessarily seem to  be a body-positivity issue, but more an issue of comfort. For the rest i agree, it's easy to say you're completely happy with yourself as a statement. It's something else when you can't fit into your favorite attraction at an amusement park however.

I could understand comfort if there's a lot of belly hang, but few girls will show off their stomachs unless their stomach is completely flat. I also know that wearing clothes that squeeze the belly isn't all that comfortable either. That point when someone is like 20 to 40 pounds overweight and has a belly, it's not uncomfortable to let the belly out because it won't be hanging or jiggle around. While I see plenty of girls with that kind of belly showing it off at the beach in a string bikini, few girls seem proud enough with that kind of belly to show it off. Body positivity does not extend to being positive about having belly fat.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 8:11 PM, grateful said:

@John Smith   IOW   take the smartest woman in the world and fatten her up and the planet can be ruled by a fat queen 😁

and her court can be all the other smartest women fattened to close her weight but not over...

I think the world would be better!  😁

Women know stuff, and fat women are beautiful and know stuff too!   LOL 

(all seriousness aside)

Well... Queen Victoria of England was the head state of the most powerful both colonial and economilitary world-empire of modern times, whereas reigning over a colossal territory covering about one third of all the merged continents and about ten percent of the global population, that stretched out afar from the British North America dominions (present-time Canada) to a major extent of the countries and lands in the Eastern Pacific... and she ended up mobirdly obese, thanks to her massive caloric intake, hearty meals and eating binge issues.

Oddly... so were the upwardly mobile middle-class gentlemen and male members of the upper elites, who used to consider the fact of spurting a 50-inch wide paunch as a mark of higher social status. There literally existed bars and clubs all over the English-speaking countries who forbade the entry to any white male who wasn't about 220, 250 or 300 pounds!

Such a shame that in the meantime, women were already slowly coerced to adopt aesthetic standards way much closer to our contemporary times than those showcased within the previous centuries, whilst paradoxically making of the bustle-reared dress - supposedly invented because of European women's skindeep anxieties about stereotypized feminine African bodies and the widely popular colonial trope of the humongeously bottom-heavy black woman vehiculated by colonists and circus managers in overseas sugar plants and Europe, especially after the manic frenzy about Saartjie Baartman in early XIXth century - a twice-lifelong-to-the-previous-stats vogue.

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2020 at 9:22 AM, JigglyBelly99 said:

Complete agree once again dude

Yeah so much for "body positivity" 

Hide your lower stomach and be positive about fat lololololz

Doesn't make sense. Yeah it seems fake. It's to mask or hide being fat.

I think days before the fat positive trend were much better. There was less girls hiding there fat. Much more confident girls who actually showed off there belly!! 

That had nothing to do with body positivity and a lot to do with the fashion of the day. Showing your belly was fashionable and girls who were overweight also wanted to follow fashion. I miss that fashion though, ballies and love handles on display everywhere. 😍

On the other hand we have thong/Brazilain bikinis now, so it's a great time for butt lovers.

10 hours ago, You have a gut said:

That had nothing to do with body positivity and a lot to do with the fashion of the day. Showing your belly was fashionable and girls who were overweight also wanted to follow fashion. I miss that fashion though, ballies and love handles on display everywhere. 😍

On the other hand we have thong/Brazilain bikinis now, so it's a great time for butt lovers.

Sadly for me, I'm more of a belly lover than a butt lover. A girlfriend of mine during the belly fashion era told me that nobody was concerned with showing off their upper stomach, but most girls were uncomfortable showing their lower belly. She showed me how though her belly bulged out a lot, when she covered that part her upper stomach looked flat. She would wear larger sized t-shirts because if they were fitted they wouldn't be long enough to cover her lower belly that bulged out from her low-rise jeans. But she did wear a proper bikini. She wanted a tankini, but they actually emphasized her belly bulge more. High-waisted bottoms were not a thing at the time. She never had a butt at all, so the modern trends wouldn't really work for her either. High-waisted things look awful with a small butt.

I think fashion wise more women are hiding their bellies. High waisted jeans and the like opposed to wearing the waistband low rise. Because of this I feel like you see less of women's lower bellies and bellybuttons these days. At least off the beach.

However it's nice to see all these women on social media either body positive or outright flaunting their weight gain. It's almost fashionable to have gained 15 to 30 pounds of quarantine weight. This is coming from all over the world, from chubby chinese girls on tiktok to fat european babes on insta. I also see a ton of girls with tattoos on their tummy and belly button piercings have gone from trendy to mainstream. But still even plus size models hardly ever wear anything to show their lower bellies.

If this body positivity thing would have taken off a decade earlier every woman under forty would be walking around with a bare belly bouncing over her low rise jeans.

• Curvage Model
On 1/24/2020 at 10:35 PM, PhatCat said:

Fat people don't seem all that confident about being fat despite the supposed social acceptance of it now. 10-20 years ago you'd see girl showing off their fat bellies in tight shirts, crop tops, low-rise jeans and shorts, the tiniest miniskirts, and string bikinis. Society was pushing for girls to show off their bodies. While society only told skinny girls to show off their bodies, fat girls wanted to do the same. And they wore the same revealing clothes that skinny girls did.

Now fat girls are encouraged to hold in their stomachs with high-waisted jeans, high-waisted bikini bottoms or shapewear. They wear loose tops to hide their upper bodies.

This "body positivity" is only a way to mask being fat, not to accept it. It's taking pictures from slimming angles, until the hundreth picture doesn't make you look like such a fatty. It's telling girls they can wear bikinis, but they need to wear high-waisted "fatkinis" because you need to hold in your gut. Girls are told they can have big boobs and a big butt, but a gut is never attractive. This is not a positive message.

My girlfriend was 30 pounds overweight when she was a teenager 15-20 years ago, and she loved wearing string bikinis. She said she was thick but didn't have a belly, so she thought she looked good in a bikini. (I've seen pictures of her then and she definitely had a bit of a belly). Nobody ever criticized the way she looked in a bikini or gave her mean looks. She said everyone was chubby and showed it all off, and nobody got shit for it.

I still see that at the beach. I think there are still more fat girls letting their guts hang loose than there are fat girls holding in their guts. Girls want to wear proper bikinis because they don't want to be the fat girl who wears the fatkini.

This is true body positivity. It's not succumbing to being society's "fat person".

But you see less of girls showing off their fat on social media than they did 10 years ago. Now they're expected to have perfectly edited photos and look perfect. The "body positive" Instagrammers are the worst offenders. They're just fakers who don't really love their bodies.

This bodypositive movement is totally fake, it only applies to those girls who are curvy, not to fat, or all bodies as they like to say, I did jobs as a plus size model and received some great jobs, but this when I was a girl with a curvy or thick body type, while I was like that, I heard people raise the bodypositive flag and say that I was incredibly beautiful as I was, but it only lasted as long as I stayed within the standard, no matter how much they say there is no standard, there is always a group trying to manipulate the girls about what we have to be like, so after the bigger bodies became popular they just created a standard for the bigger body.

You need to have a big butt, a slim waist and if you don't have it, deal with it, put a shapewear or something, lift your head so you don't show the double chin, be careful with the angles, if you are too big you won't be a bodypositive spokesperson. Or worse, you are glorifying obesity.

And this hypocrisy is not only in the media market, it happens everywhere, in companies, offices, it was never new that if you are not in the standard you are excluded, but for me the peak of hypocrisy was to create a movement for the liberation of the body and then compel the bodies to enter the standard that has been shoveled in our throats, it doesn’t make any sense.
It seems that they definitely can't manage to leave fat women alone.

I go around with short blouses, shorts, small bikinis when I want, during the week I walk around in my office and see that even people who know me and know how happy i am with my body cannot proccess the fact or accept that I'm completely fine.

I, as a fat girl, say that it is not easy, but I prefer to sound totally arrogant when I say that I feel like a goddess, than to let them overwhelm me with this hypocrisy.

• Curvage Model

Body positivity is toxic. It started out well intended but it brought more awareness to the fact that society thinks fat women should cover up differently, or dress in styles 'just for them' to 'fit in'. It had an adverse effect, completely. The goal was to embrace our unique bodies, not further compartmentalize ourselves into categorically different 'types'. It's all for show, to make companies look good in the "look at us, we're a good company, we have diversity!" department. It also sells for brands like Torrid who bump up prices stupid high for not much more fabric, because they know they can and people will still wan to buy it. It shouldn't be a 'specialty'. I mean, so many businesses really do miss out on not offering fatter sizes, especially in the US where the average size is 16, but that's also the largest size in most stores and the average size of most 'plus' models. They should be represented too, of course! They all should. Regularly.

The posing is huge. I have an account, I don't really post anymore, but I remember trying to pose in ways to make me look smaller, to be an acceptable fat. True fat positivity on here totally changed that. Now I post angles I would never find flattering in the BOPO community. It's all a big joke at the expense of fat people.

Edited by Madilyn
Typo!

Guest grateful

There is a distinct difference between size positivity based on size tolerance  vs  love of size.

When I was really young I hung out in the last days of one of the original fat social groups.  By that time feeders were held to be evil.  Also, the mythology was that people were fat for some unknown reason that was no fault of their own and certainly never on purpose, and men were predators who took advantage of the big girls bc they were easy prey.

The membership dried up and eventually they couldn't book a hotel and they went the way of the dodo bird.

However, way before that and before my time, those size guys were pioneers and made all this possible for us!

It was originally a social organization for fat women and the men who adored them!  ❤️

Over the years, the politics changed.  🙁

I agree with the above posters that everything gets corrupt when business smells money

22 hours ago, AnnaOli said:

This bodypositive movement is totally fake, it only applies to those girls who are curvy, not to fat, or all bodies as they like to say, I did jobs as a plus size model and received some great jobs, but this when I was a girl with a curvy or thick body type, while I was like that, I heard people raise the bodypositive flag and say that I was incredibly beautiful as I was, but it only lasted as long as I stayed within the standard, no matter how much they say there is no standard, there is always a group trying to manipulate the girls about what we have to be like, so after the bigger bodies became popular they just created a standard for the bigger body.

You need to have a big butt, a slim waist and if you don't have it, deal with it, put a shapewear or something, lift your head so you don't show the double chin, be careful with the angles, if you are too big you won't be a bodypositive spokesperson. Or worse, you are glorifying obesity.

And this hypocrisy is not only in the media market, it happens everywhere, in companies, offices, it was never new that if you are not in the standard you are excluded, but for me the peak of hypocrisy was to create a movement for the liberation of the body and then compel the bodies to enter the standard that has been shoveled in our throats, it doesn’t make any sense.
It seems that they definitely can't manage to leave fat women alone.

I go around with short blouses, shorts, small bikinis when I want, during the week I walk around in my office and see that even people who know me and know how happy i am with my body cannot proccess the fact or accept that I'm completely fine.

I, as a fat girl, say that it is not easy, but I prefer to sound totally arrogant when I say that I feel like a goddess, than to let them overwhelm me with this hypocrisy.

It really sucks to hear how negative this movement really is. It seems like most of the people who are for "body positivity" are like a size 14-18. There's no room for people bigger than that. And anyone who is a size 8-12 is not big enough to be body positive, yet they're too big to be slim.

Whether it's for money, pride or power, people try to define things, what it should be and the "correct" parameters.

Find yourself a good woman and work with her on a personal level.

• Curvage Model

I think it’s great that so many of you have become more confident as a result of posting here, I have as well.

But it is just as hypocritical to say that this is about accepting fat or body positivity because there are so many people here that just want to push women to change their bodies. If you are looking for that encouragement, that’s great, I am not, and I’m VERY UPFRONT about that but it certainly doesn’t stop men from trying to tell me what to do. The thing that makes me the most angry and upset is when I mention that I have implants- there is always some d-bag who tells me to go bigger, like it’s picking up a new dress from a store! Not a surgery costing 1000’s of dollars, general anesthesia and down time! (That I’ve already went through THREE TIMES  to get to my current size) every time followed by post surgical depression because I STILL don’t feel they are big enough, so when other people are telling me they still aren’t good enough- yeah I don’t feel very body positive. 

I am not here to gain or be encouraged to gain, I am just here to appreciate my curves and live out my fantasies in my videos, but these fantasies are fun for me because they are *just* fantasies, I don’t want to gain weight in my real life, but aren’t my fantasies just as valid as anyone else’s? Also until the name of the website is changed from Curvage to Gainage and the modeling contract states that the models are required to gain weight I plan on enjoying my time here.

Recently I had a gain that I was really upset about, once I finally accepted it I posted some before/afters and this somehow  translates into people thinking I want to be told to gain more!!! So, I’m not happy that I gained but at least people here will appreciate it? Right? -Wrong! It’s always about “more, more, more”.  ***As if I don’t have a real life or career, I’m just a sex object that lives inside the viewer’s computers that exists ONLY to manipulate my body to their fantasies, not mine, not my husband’s.*** 

There are many people who are very respectful and their positive comments have helped me more than they could ever know, but I think the majority of guys just want to watch women get fatter and fatter past the point even they find attractive, just because the very act of gaining turns them on (as a normal FA I’ll never get this). What ever gets people off is fine, if you want to fantasize about me gaining 100 lbs, fine, that’s your prerogative- my problem is with people who can’t just do that, they feel the need to pressure me (and /or other women) to change their bodies for their particular fantasy. Regardless of what the model blatantly states that she is comfortable with.   Same way I feel about my tattoos, I KNOW not everybody likes them, and I really don’t care! - But when you feel the need to say something to me about it - that’s disrespect, and THAT IS what makes me angry. 

So I think the community aspect of this site can be great, but I definitely don’t think it has anything to do with appreciating women’s bodies as they are. To me the body positive movement is at least trying, but most of it is about celebrating huge butts which is what’s popular anyway, the “body positivity” bullet point on an Instagram profile is almost like an apology for not being skinny. God forbid a woman just feels good about herself!

**Disclaimer**- I am not trying to say anything negative about this site or the purpose of it. I feel it is my place to draw attention to how these unwanted comments affect me (and probably others) because they certainly aren’t bad enough to report, these guys don’t usually realize they are being nasty and hurtful - but me saying nothing doesn’t help them realize that either.

Edited by NogutNoglory

5 minutes ago, NogutNoglory said:

I think it’s great that so many of you have become more confident as a result of posting here, I have as well.

But it is just as hypocritical to say that this is about accepting fat or body positivity because there are so many people here that just want to push women to change their bodies. If you are looking for that encouragement, that’s great, I am not, and I’m VERY UPFRONT about that but it certainly doesn’t stop men from trying to tell me what to do. The thing that makes me the most angry and upset is when I mention that I have implants- there is always some d-bag who tells me to go bigger, like it’s picking up a new dress from a store! Not a surgery costing 1000’s of dollars, general anesthesia and down time! (That I’ve already went through THREE TIMES  to get to my current size) every time followed by post surgical depression because I STILL don’t feel they are big enough, so when other people are telling me they still aren’t good enough- yeah I don’t feel very body positive. 

I am not here to gain or be encouraged to gain, I am just here to appreciate my curves and live out my fantasies in my videos, but these fantasies are fun for me because they are *just* fantasies, I don’t want to gain weight in my real life, but aren’t my fantasies just as valid as anyone else’s? Also until the name of the website is changed from Curvage to Gainage and the modeling contract states that the models are required to gain weight I plan on enjoying my time here.

Recently I had a gain that I was really upset about, once I finally accepted it I posted some before/afters and this somehow  translates into people thinking I want to be told to gain more!!! So, I’m not happy that I gained but at least people here will appreciate it? Right? -Wrong! It’s always about “more, more, more”.  ***As if I don’t have a real life or career, I’m just a sex object that lives inside the viewer’s computers that exists ONLY to manipulate my body to their fantasies, not mine, not my husband’s.*** 

There are many people who are very respectful and their positive comments have helped me more than they could ever know, but I think the majority of guys just want to watch women get fatter and fatter past the point even they find attractive, just because the very act of gaining turns them on (as a normal FA I’ll never get this). What ever gets people off is fine, if you want to fantasize about me gaining 100 lbs, fine, that’s your prerogative- my problem is with people who can’t just do that, they feel the need to pressure me (and /or other women) to change their bodies for their particular fantasy. Regardless of what the model blatantly states that she is comfortable with.   Same way I feel about my tattoos, I KNOW not everybody likes them, and I really don’t care! - But when you feel the need to say something to me about it - that’s disrespect, and THAT IS what makes me angry. 

So I think the community aspect of this site can be great, but I definitely don’t think it has anything to do with appreciating women’s bodies as they are. To me the body positive movement is at least trying, but most of it is about celebrating huge butts which is what’s popular anyway, the “body positivity” bullet point on an Instagram profile is almost like an apology for not being skinny. God forbid a woman just feels good about herself!

I think this goes along with the "body positivity is just encouraging obesity" thing. Because it's not. Itsn't it just about helping women feel that they don't have to change and that they are beautiful just the way they are?

I have encouraged my girlfriend to gain (like 5-10 pounds), only because she has been making herself miserable in trying to stick to a certain weight on the scale. She has always had plenty of confidence in her body, even when she was a chubby teenager, but she also has unhealthy (in both the mental and physical sense) expectations of how her body should look. I only hope that the body positivity movement can help people's mental health when it comes to body image. Right now my main takeaway from body positivity is the message, "It's okay to be fat, as long as you hold your fat in." They people who are okay with being fat don't post about body positivity because they don't need to.

• Curvage Model
7 minutes ago, PhatCat said:

think this goes along with the "body positivity is just encouraging obesity" thing

I don’t think you really read what I wrote.

I’m responding to the comments about how sites like this (Curvage, FF, fea)encourage “real” body positivity. That isn’t true.

There is a difference between saying to your girlfriend that you’d really love to see her stop worrying about her weight and indulge - and - you owe it to me to gain weight because that’s my fetish and the world should revolve around that and if you don’t I’ll cry about it in the relationship threads section. If you don’t know what I’m talking about go the the relationship threads section. It’s all about how men into this fetish think their SO’s owe it to them to gain, but not too much, just exactly what they want when they want it.

Edited by NogutNoglory

There are complexities associated with the "Body positivity" movement. From what I've seen and experienced, it can be quite often used as a well-crafted excuse for denial. "I don't have a problem, YOU have a problem for not accepting my addiction / disorder!" On the other hand, as a feeder, I have been struggling for a long time with this attraction. I've never felt happy or proud from having it. Fat is not something that one can get rid of as soon as the play / streaming has ended - as one does with a pair of gloves, leather etc. Feederism is something that imprints itself deeply on the (mental and physical) being of a woman or man. This makes the whole thing so much more challenging than almost any other fetishes. One can fake sobriety, one can fake orgasms, one can change their BDSM getup etc. But not obesity.  It's always with you, wherever you go, you can't take it down or put it on twice a week.

I wouldn't say BP it's "fake" but I'd say it can be used as an easy excuse for some terrible, irreversible abuses and manipulations - including here from the side of the feeders.