BMI numbers seem unrealistically low, as to what's overweight, obese etc !

FatadmirerDoug

It depends on the person. There are plenty of women in Southeast Asia that weigh under 90 pounds and are perfectly healthy. I'm 5'7 and the healthiest I ever was was when I was 120 pounds. Full of energy, slept well, never sick etc. I forced myself to gain weight to be more attractive to women and some of it was eating junk food, some of it was taking questionable supplements, but I really regret not just letting my body stay at a natural weight as I developed some health problems which I believe were the result of taking things I shouldn't have. For your average pear shaped American women with a good amount of Germanic ancestry (Tend to be bigger framed) 180 pounds at around my height is perfectly healthy. For a very petite woman from a poor, Southeast Asian background it is probably begging for diabetes.

A good clue is wrist circumference. Mine are under 6". A man with wrists over 7" would be very unlikely to be healthy at my weight. It's also individual. My so seems to be more healthy, energetic and catch less colds at a heavier weight, while I'm the opposite. I like the contrast of being the skinnier man with a curvier woman, but I would definitely gain if I could if that would make me healthier and stronger regardless of preferences. So I think people shouldn't worry about the scale too much, try a little weight gain if they are smaller or possibly a little loss if they are bigger and see how it makes them feel. 

One thing I'm curious about is does anyone know if women have a lower heart rate than men do? My so doesn't exercise at all, at least not usually. I took her to a resort and dragged her into the fitness room. Now keep in mind I work out from between 3 to 7 times a week depending on how demanding work is and how my body feels. We both were doing the elliptical and my heart rate shot up and hers increased only mildly even though we were doing the same program. She would only be average in the US but she's big in her country. Her BMI is in the overweight category and as I said never works out yet had a much lower heart rate. I was happy for her although a bit dissappointed in myself. I think it may be just a male female thing though.