Taking birth control and gaining weight

Guest Kika0119

Guest Kika0119

So I’ve talked about my fiancé-now wife on here before. Before marrying her recently, I’ve been with her for 3 years. She gained about 50 lbs during that time. From her last doctor appointment, she is currently 174 lbs at a height of 5’2”. 

To the point of the post though. She is going to be starting on a birth control pill real soon. I know birth control pills don’t cause direct weight gain, but they can increase your appetite. My wife already has a big, and sometimes hard to control, appetite. So, people who have taken birth control or have/had a wife/girlfriend on birth control, did you/they end up gaining a noticeable amount of weight while on it due to increased appetite? 

Guest Kika0119
7 hours ago, tharealtariq_ said:

Made my gf lose a lot of weight actually/

Oh really? That’s interesting. What happened? Just had the opposite effect on her appetite?

On 1/1/2020 at 9:12 PM, Kika0119 said:

So I’ve talked about my fiancé-now wife on here before. Before marrying her recently, I’ve been with her for 3 years. She gained about 50 lbs during that time. From her last doctor appointment, she is currently 174 lbs at a height of 5’2”. 

To the point of the post though. She is going to be starting on a birth control pill real soon. I know birth control pills don’t cause direct weight gain, but they can increase your appetite. My wife already has a big, and sometimes hard to control, appetite. So, people who have taken birth control or have/had a wife/girlfriend on birth control, did you/they end up gaining a noticeable amount of weight while on it due to increased appetite? 

Most of the weight gain women attribute to birth control is actually due to them aging and not the birth control itself.

That said, depo provera is the only one that has reliably been demonstrated to cause some weight gain in studies.

3 minutes ago, dudethatswaffle said:

Most of the weight gain women attribute to birth control is actually due to them aging and not the birth control itself.

Then, how does you explain cases of young women and sexually active pubescent girls who allegedly blimped out following a continual period of birth control medication??

10 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Then, how does you explain cases of young women and sexually active pubescent girls who allegedly blimped out following a continual period of birth control medication??

I'm not sure if you're trolling because of the grammar, but the same way you explain cases of women who blimp out who were never on birth control.

Most women start birth control in their early teens or college years. As people transition from young adulthood to adulthood they gain weight. It's fairly simple.

19 minutes ago, dudethatswaffle said:

I'm not sure if you're trolling because of the grammar, but the same way you explain cases of women who blimp out who were never on birth control.

Most women start birth control in their early teens or college years. As people transition from young adulthood to adulthood they gain weight. It's fairly simple.

I don't know if you're actually pissed off by the given eventuality than anyone may subtlely question the coherence of your own statement or question the coherence of your own statement.

But if you're dismissing a myth, to later underline the meagre legitimacy of such popular belief in one single post... then why pointing out about aging been the most possible causation of the phenomenon, for a start?

1 hour ago, John Smith said:

I don't know if you're actually pissed off by the given eventuality than anyone may subtlely question the coherence of your own statement or question the coherence of your own statement.

But if you're dismissing a myth, to later underline the meagre legitimacy of such popular belief in one single post... then why pointing out about aging been the most possible causation of the phenomenon, for a start?

confused what are you doing GIF
I’m confused. 

Guest Kika0119

Weight gain on birth control is not simply due to aging. It’s a common thing for women of all ages to gain a few pounds at the start of taking birth control due to some fluid retention. Also makes some go up a couple cup sizes. Then some others that gain a considerable amount of weight is because most birth control pills increase your appetite. This combined with your age (your metabolism) and your current lifestyle (how much you already eat, what kinds of foods, if you workout or not, your stress), determines if you gain weight or not while on it. But obviously some brands of BC have stronger effects than others, especially the ones that have a lot of hormones in them. But to simply say most of the weight gain is due to aging, is wrong. 

Guest Porky Princess

When myself and my friends started taking the pill all of us gained weight. I think part of it was ageing as we all pretty much started at 14 so we’re still developing. The pill has a lot of psychological and emotional effects and I think that leads to eating more and gaining weight. It certainly started off my journey...

16 hours ago, Kika0119 said:

Weight gain on birth control is not simply due to aging. It’s a common thing for women of all ages to gain a few pounds at the start of taking birth control due to some fluid retention. Also makes some go up a couple cup sizes. Then some others that gain a considerable amount of weight is because most birth control pills increase your appetite. This combined with your age (your metabolism) and your current lifestyle (how much you already eat, what kinds of foods, if you workout or not, your stress), determines if you gain weight or not while on it. But obviously some brands of BC have stronger effects than others, especially the ones that have a lot of hormones in them. But to simply say most of the weight gain is due to aging, is wrong. 

But your statement would most probably "wOrTh sAlAdS" according a random lurker with no opinion nor experience to share about.

9 minutes ago, Curvyvixen07 said:

When myself and my friends started taking the pill all of us gained weight. I think part of it was ageing as we all pretty much started at 14 so we’re still developing. The pill has a lot of psychological and emotional effects and I think that leads to eating more and gaining weight. It certainly started off my journey...

Interesting. I didn't know than birth control pills may affects a woman's caloric intake.

2 hours ago, John Smith said:

But your statement would most probably "wOrTh sAlAdS" according a random lurker with no opinion nor experience to share about.

Interesting. I didn't know than birth control pills may affects a woman's caloric intake.

"Worth salads" 😂

I noticed a big difference in my wife's appetite when she was off birth control for about 2 years. She used to like to snack before bed, and when she was off the birth control that almost completely stopped. She lost 20-25 pounds I'd say. After we had our baby, she went back on it. Her appetite slowly came back and so did her belly, only this time it's still growing lol. I think having a husband that constantly comments on her curves is probably a factor as well, but the birth control started it...

Guest Kika0119
15 hours ago, bellyluvr said:

I noticed a big difference in my wife's appetite when she was off birth control for about 2 years. She used to like to snack before bed, and when she was off the birth control that almost completely stopped. She lost 20-25 pounds I'd say. After we had our baby, she went back on it. Her appetite slowly came back and so did her belly, only this time it's still growing lol. I think having a husband that constantly comments on her curves is probably a factor as well, but the birth control started it...

I know the level of effect varies person to person that’s on BC, but my wife already has a somewhat uncontrollable appetite when it comes to sweets and some junk food. That’s why she ended up gaining about 50 pounds in 3 years. So if the BC ends up having a big effect on her appetite, I think she’s going to pack on a good amount of weight. She’s also a stress eater and she’s finishing up her university program and she’ll be working in a hospital.