Tips from "What eating a big meal does to your body"

allgrownup

Source: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20191127-why-do-you-feel-hungry-after-eating-a-big-meal

for most people, you don’t feel hungry in spite of the huge quantities of food you’ve recently consumed. You feel hungry precisely because of it.

The pang you feel that urges you to eat is the result of a number of physiological changes inside your body.

But it is not really true that eating stretches the stomach. The stomach is very elastic, so will return to its resting capacity (about 1-2 litres) after a big meal. In fact, most people’s stomachs are pretty similar in capacity – neither height nor weight have an effect.

The stomach doesn't become stretched over time; the continued eating behavior is cause by other factors

When we learn to associate the rewarding properties of food, particularly high-sugar foods, with specific times, smells, sights and behaviours, the memory of that sensation is activated and you start craving. This then triggers not only psychological but physiological responses, like salivating.

Like dogs, humans can be conditioned to expect food based on simple cues.

“These associations develop quickly and even with small amounts of chocolate like 1-2g,” says van den Akker. “It seems quite easy to acquire these desires but it is hard to get rid of them. Your body remembers that at one specific point in time you ate chocolate. The craving can easily turn into a daily craving – even after only four days of repetition.”

The association between situation + food/eating is what prompts and continues food intake.

A small treat consistently given over a 4 day period can already cause this situation+food trigger; getting rid of that conditioned craving is much harder.

If your subject enjoys a particular TV show, serve some snacks when she's watching it. Within a short time watching that show, or if you do it right watching any TV, will cause her body to crave the snacks.

In principle, any mood, even a positive one, can become a craving trigger, as long as it is consistently followed by food.

Moods can be turned into triggers too. A sad feeling followed by a "you deserve it" treat. A happy feeling followed by an ice cream.

And it has been repeatedly shown that we eat more when we are in the company of friends. Even when you control for alcohol, special occasions, the length of time you spend at the table and many other factors, we eat more when we are being social. Perhaps because the pleasure of the company around us makes it harder to concentrate on portion control. Even people sat in a lab eating a bowl of plain pasta will eat more if they have a friend to talk to.

Perhaps it is no surprise, then, how hungry we feel after a big meal with family and friends. We are still hungry the next day – or even later the same day – not because our stomach has stretched, but because we have grown accustomed to eating excessively on special occasions. If our brains see all the cues – the smells, the sights, the sounds – associated with a big meal the day after a feast like Christmas, then it will start getting us ready for round two.

Eating in company prompts overeating, but the whole setup, the whole trigger, of "this is a special moment, now we eat" can cause an association between "I see and hear these things, so I should eat"

• 1 month later...
Guest skinnygirlwantstogrow
1 hour ago, allgrownup said:

Actual fat and maybe some water retention.

Does stuffing also weaken ab muscles?

Guest grateful

Initially food b**s are a lot of material that hasn't been absorbed yet.

Yes, getting stretched out can change your shape. Think of pregnancy.

But, the body is resilient: witness the form of some competitor eaters!

Guest skinnygirlwantstogrow
3 hours ago, allgrownup said:

Not necessarily. Your abs weaken from not really using them, from a lack of physical exercise. You can be fat and have very strong abs.

I asked bc gaining is relatively new to me.

Recently I am getting dm'ed all types of scenarios about what will happen to my  body by a lot of "feeders" and "fa's" here. 

You and John Smith seem different to them.  

On 2/10/2020 at 3:06 PM, skinnygirlwantstogrow said:

Recently I am getting dm'ed all types of scenarios about what will happen to my  body by a lot of "feeders" and "fa's" here. 

You and John Smith seem different to them.

As a male I can only imagine  -- with some trepidation -- what kind of messages you must be getting.

Thanks for the compliment.

If you ignore activity levels, carrying weight itself places strain on certain muscles so it's entirely feasible to gain weight and muscle at the same time, just at different rates, depending on intake.

Of course, more fat also makes exercise more tiring and probably less attractive an activity, especially since you're more likely to overheat or incur an injury in the process. You'd probably encounter a tipping-point where either you can't eat enough to keep gaining, or you stop exercising enough for your abs to keep up.

But that point is probably over 30-50 pounds away. Hell, there's a bunch of conjecture about the weight and diet of ancient gladiators. Gaining weight and muscle together is nothing new, just more difficult than going for one or the other.