6 minutes ago, John Smith said:

I don't know if I had to take that for a compliment, but I'm not this versed in English. I have one of those French accents (and I mean a colonially-inherited middle-upper-class Parisian accent) which bring annoyance and contempt to a lot of English speakers from where I live in Canada... in truth, it just bring but annoyance to most every single person I ever met, whether they were French-speaking or English-speaking people, besides first-generation immigrants of North African, Pakistanese or East Asian origin.

I had been at many occasions subjected to some vividly mockerous backlash by non-native speakers with a far much thicker and exotic accent than I, just because French accent annoys people, but I don't know how British people gonna react about my accent. Never visited the U.K. yet.

I heard however than my way of speech tend sometimes to veer into some slight Scottish-ish intonations when I force my prounciation a little too much. These Brits wouldn't feel too much out-of-place while speaking with me.

I don’t know what that might sound like, but it sounds like the exact opposite of American expectations of a “Canadian” accent (“eh!”). Must be Québécois?

4 hours ago, John Smith said:

Popular opinion in French Canada mostly associates non-French-born native-speaking folks with a Parisian accent as a symptomatic presumption to posh-ness, higher education and cultural/intellectual superiority over the common-born "p'tit peuple" . 

I’m more curious than ever to hear this accent of royalty 👑 🧠 Does Macron use it?