Changing Rooms

ShrubberyLogistic

"So, does your sweetheart have a name?" said Ange, smiling as she took the signed contract in hand, and parting the shimmering curtain.    

“Daniel Brackwell,” Evelyn said for the first time, dipping under the manager's arm. His lock of hair was wound tightly round her ring finger, her hands clasped together protectively over her soft stomach. The knot deep inside was even tighter. 

"And you've known him how long?" 

"Ten months." She was addressing the carpet on the floor, rich and thick. Evelyn felt as if she was walking on clouds. "Although...err...really, we..." 

"Don't be shy, gorgeous. It's only us girls here," said Ange, offering a comforting smile. Her teeth sparkled, and her long blonde hair tumbled down her shoulder.  

"Uh huh," Her partner Devi stuck out her forked tongue insouciantly when they reached the end of the changing rooms. Ange threw her a piercing stare, then turned back to her customer with a warm glow.  

Evelyn returned a nervous smile. “What I'm trying to say is...umm..." she stumbled, her voice faltering. "We haven’t really met…yet.” 

“Then how do you know he's the one for you?” Ange asked. 

“I’ve err… I’ve been watching from afar,” said Evelyn, looking to her side. 

"Oh really? What's he like?"  

The student paused. A strange warmth tingled through her fingers, and she felt a small but immovable smile slip through her lips.

“We take classes together, he sits two rows in front. Sometimes I see him when I'm queuing for lunch,” Evelyn found herself tickled with butterflies and blushed as she put one foot across the other. “He wears leather jackets, he listens to classic rock and he always smells really nice," she went on. "He's super smart but super humble, he says thank you to lecturers and it's so cute. And he plays basketball, like I did before my scholarship started last year. I feel warm when he’s in the room. I really want him to notice me. For him to maybe make the first move...but, I...I'm too embarrassed," She finished with a sigh.  

“He’s definitely single?” said Ange. 

“He sure is,” said Devi. “Look at her. She spent half of last night staring at his ex’s new relationship status.” 

Evelyn blanched white before her cheeks flushed to red again.  

“Devi, please…” said Ange. 

Oooh. She and the ex don’t speak at all, but she added her so she could look at photos of her and Daniel together. She still hasn’t found the courage to friend request him yet. She dreams about it though.” 

“How…how do you know that?” said Evelyn. She found herself standing ramrod straight, rushing to arrange her defences

“I’m good at guessing stuff you don’t like the fact you love. I’m a vice manager.” said Devi. "Hmm. You like leather too, huh?" 

The student opened her mouth, and forgot to close it.  

"Whoah, oh gosh." Devi's pupils grew as she gazed into the distance. "This is more recent. I see cakes, cookies, a lot of pizza - your favourite topping is...mushrooms? Weird, but cool I guess. Oooh, ice cream too, not bad for a student meal plan. Wow, your brain is delicious...okay, that came out wrong," said Devi. "I meant, you really enjoy your food. Heh, right?"  

Evelyn felt herself shrink a little inside. She pulled instinctively at her sweatshirt, turning a couple degrees from the spotlight in the corridor of curtains.  

"That...also came out wrong," Ange said plainly. "Forgive us. We're trying to help - we really are - and we'll give you all the support we can before, during and after. Oh! I’m getting your hopes and dreams. You're going to see him tomorrow!" 

Evelyn bit her lip. 

"First day of sophomore year," she said with a gentle smile. "Figured if this makeover was as big as I hope it is, I could tell people it happened over summer. I packed this morning, said goodbye to my parents; they won't see me until Christmas that means I could tell them it happened when I was at college."  

"You're a smart cookie," said Ange. "But I wouldn't bet on anything drastic. Your Daniel sounds nice, and you already look adorable. We often find the greatest change our customers leave with is in their confidence. Would you me to remind you how it works around here?" 

"I only get one chance," said Evelyn. "Don't I?" 

"That's correct," said Ange. "One true love, one chance to change everything over. I'll ask you one more time, and don't worry if you have to think about it. In your heart of hearts, do you want to look like the person Daniel Brackwell dreams his soulmate to be?"   

Evelyn bit her lip.  

"I do," she said, clutching a smidgeon of confidence. 

"Then come this way," 

'Changing Rooms' was merely what was printed on the sign. The chambers of the store hosted a whole wing of curtains, mirrors, stools, cushions and clothing racks. Watching Ange stroke a finger down the wall and open a secret door, Evelyn felt the deep expanse of the building as she followed the graceful blonde down a spiral staircase and through a second cavernous corridor, further and further through aisles and rows of empty parlours and benches. They came to a long, old and narrow wooden door, bound with aged iron and loosening nails.  

"This is your room," said Ange. "Once you enter, you can only leave once you have changed. Have you brought the essence of your visionary?" 

Evelyn gave her the lock of dark, curly hair she had whisked from Daniel's jacket when his backed was turned. Pursing her lithe fingers, Ange tied the hair around the handle of a key she produced from her necklace, and inserted it into the lock. Twisting it clockwise, she laid a hand on the shivering door handle. A golden haze streaked through the edges of the doorframe. 

"Are you ready?"  

Evelyn calmly tucked her sweatshirt back in to her jeans. 

"Yeah," she said, nodding. "I'm ready," 

Ange closed her pale blue eyes, and opened the door. She motioned for the student to go through. Evelyn walked into a wall of yellow light, brightening and darkening in sequence. Four ornate mirrors beamed in each corner. Her feet took her up one step, then another, before she realised there were no stairs there at all. She was slowly rising into the air.  

Taking stools on her left and right, Ange and Devi carefully watched her ascend in the central portal. When she was six feet up, bathed in the golden suspense, Ange snapped her fingers.  

Evelyn felt ethereal. She took a sharp breath, flinging back her hair. Her lungs filled with glowing air, then a thick. honeyed liquid. She gasped and spluttered. The honey danced in her veins, tantalising her, pumping round her heart. Her stomach felt cavernous, then leaden as it soaked up its surrounds. Suddenly, Evelyn began to rotate, her hips leading her in long, lazy circles. She spun faster and faster, until Ange and Devi's faces blurred into a stream of colours and hues, gold and black, white and red, seeping through the mirrors. She felt a pull from above on her shoulders, and an equal pull from her stomach below. Still spinning, her eyes rolled into the back of her head as she reached a terminal velocity, her hair floating in a radiance of brown.   

Ange snapped her fingers again and the forces switched in a split-second. Evelyn yelped, conscious to the sudden stretching of her skin as her body gained volume and mass. A peel of pure shock echoed as tightness manifested in her underclothes. Her gyration reached new heights as her weight began to rapidly increase. She gave a whimper as the back of her bra burst loose, her breasts floating in the shirt under her sweater until the material pulled tight across her chest. The stitches of her underwear retreated further and further, while her thighs pressed out against her leggings as they grew larger and larger. Her sweater slinked up her stomach, leaving her belly button exposed, the flesh soft and pliable.  

"Errmm. This....wasn't part of her inner wishlist..." said Devi, nervously twisting her corset’s black lace. 

"I'm trying!" said Ange, an arm raised to the light. "She's...oh goodness, she's not finished yet..." 

"What's happening to me?!" Evelyn cried, her pleas reduced to squeals by the speed of her spinning. The student felt her throat grow warm with adipose, while beads of sweat flew from her chubbier cheeks. Layer after layer piled on to her hips, her arms and shoulders growing pudgy and corpulent. She splayed her fingers as they puffed up in the turgid air, while a jiggling, blubbery roll wrapped its way round her waist. The student felt the first seams of her leggings blow open, and gasped as she felt fresh, soft flab pour over the tear in her waistband. Chins wobbling under her face, her voice was deeper, earthier than before. Her tongue was all she could control, tied past her plumpened lips.    

Ange stood on her tiptoes, marshalling the best of her abilities. Evelyn’s spinning began to decelerate as the towering blonde felt an ancient energy billow through her ivory sleeves. The student came to a lurching halt, her pulse racing while she surged in width. Her jeans tore at the zipper, the pale crack in the strained curves of blue inching up in length as she slowly descended to the ground. Sinking her head, Evelyn felt the golden liquid douse the edges of her heart. Her vision grew fuzzy, morphing to grey, then black as a final rush of thickening pressed another inch onto her stomach. 

The light flickered out. Hugely fat, Evelyn dropped the final two feet without ceremony. Dizzy and discombobulated, her legs bottomed out and she landed with a squishy thud, rolling flat on her heavy back with a moan. 

Oh my goodness!” said Ange. She dashed to her knees to Evelyn’s shoulder and cradled her sweating face. “I’m so sorry!”  

Pffft. Seriously?” said Devi, giving their newly colossal customer a gentle nudge with her foot. She knelt down and let her crimson fingernail softly interact with Evelyn's grossly engorged chest.  "Wow. Wait until he gets a load of these," she whistled.  

"Uhhhhh....ooooohh...." Evelyn groaned, her belly wavering softly.  

“Stop it! Can’t you feel her pain?” Ange snapped.  

“Nothing we can’t turn into pleasure,” the redhead retorted.  

“Be quiet and help me pick her up." 

Devi raised an eyebrow. 

“Not like that,” Ange rolled her eyes. "She's in shock. I can’t do this alone, she’s too big. Are you going to help me?” 

Two hands under each of her arms, the twosome heaved her off the floor and dragged her feet to remove her from the room. Pivoting her heaving body through the doorway, they deposited her on a leather chaise-longue. 

Ughhuhhh…” groaned Evelyn.  

“It’s alright beautiful,” said Ange, gracing her hands with a warm cup of chamomile tea she cast from thin air. 

“I feel so heavy…” she mumbled, rubbing her eyes. "Ooofff...urghh...what happened?" 

Ange and Devi looked at each other.  

“We think..." Ange began. "...your future boyfriend might be attracted to women who are...a little on the larger side.” 

“A little?” Her partner turned to her incredulously, a hand on her little hip.  

“Devi...” she hissed. 

“No…I get it...” said Evelyn. “I’m massive, aren’t I?” 

She sighed, then sat up and softly slid a hand around her mountainous belly as it folded over her thighs. Acres of soft flesh were there for her to squeeze and stroke - she did so tentatively, reaching around her form in trepidation. She blinked, breathing in exhaustion, her mind dulled and her heart slowly settling down from the stress. She crossed her legs as best she could, gripping each of her ankles and pulling them to her rolling stomach. Facing the fading glow of the portal, she began to fathom how fat she had grown.  

"Is this real?" she breathed, finally. "Was this supposed to happen?"  

“If his name is Daniel Brackwell, then yes.” said Ange. “You are now the object of all his innate and most intimate desires.”  

“Some princes want a princess,” said Devi. “And some just want a bouncy castle.” 

Ange stomped her heel and punched her in the arm. Devi squeaked. 

“But what do I do?” said Evelyn, slapping her hands on her hefty sides. “Am I supposed to try and get it on with him? Even though I look like this?”  

“Well, you must try something. The days of Daniel not noticing you are over,” said Ange. 

“Yup. You can’t hide,” said Devi. “I don't think you can’t run much either. Hmmm. If he really admired you and wanted you to be happy I kinda woulda thought you’d have some stronger quads. Get ready to waddle down the aisle.” 

“What she's trying to say is - I don’t think he wants you to overexert yourself,” said Ange.  

“Yeah, if something's further away than your fridge or your bathroom, make it his job,” said Devi. "Relax, just chill on the couch." 

“But I'll just get fatter and fatter!” Evelyn wailed, staring down her barreling cleavage. Her big, sweaty chest laboured with her breaths. “I can't live like this. I'm a whale. How am I meant to go to college? How are we meant to go out together? I'm too fat for everything.” 

She pushed back her hair and attempted to stand up. It was an embarrassing struggle. She huffed as she rolled onto her side, freeing her legs. She got to one knee and threw a palm on the carpet, forced to steady her bulk. Quickly thrusting upward, Evelyn found her feet and brought her thighs together with a soft slap. She staggered half a step backward, her bottom wobbling, holding out her arms to stay level. Gasping for breath, Evelyn stared down at her body with an open jaw. 

“You can build up your strength, it'll get easier,” said Ange. “We'll help shape you a new lifestyle now you’ve got a lot more to carry around with you.” 

“Couldn't you just shrink me?” said Evelyn.

“That would involve retracting your heart and giving it to someone else,” said Ange. “It’s a very painful process, hence why we only give out one chance to each person.” 

“Yeah, it's more painful than splitting your jeans at the supermarket,” said Devi. “More painful than the look the register girl gives you when you redeem your hundredth coupon for a free burger at Bronte-Cavendish.” 

It’s not impossible,” said Ange. “But unwarranted jokes aside, I think we both believe you should at least give the new you a try,” said Ange. “Meet Daniel. Introduce yourself. Get to know him properly. Let him see you for who you are.” 

“You think he wants to see me like this?” said Evelyn, seizing handfuls of her bare belly fat and giving them a shake.  

"Of course." 

"But...oh no...oh god, it’s tomorrow! I must've outgrown my whole wardrobe. I have literally nothing to wear!”  

“There there,” said the manager. “You’re forgetting something, dear.” 

“Huh?” 

“You’re in a clothes store,” said Devi. “And ours is probably the greatest in eternity. The right style, the right walk, the right impression. We've got it all.” 

“There’s nothing we can’t cover.” said Ange. 

“Nothing we can’t accentuate.” said Devi, with a wink.     

• 6 months later...

“I’m fine, I’m good,” Evelyn reassured herself, easing her shoulders on the back seat of the bus. “I’ve got you guys. What’s the worst that could happen?”  

“Ha! I mean, we had a lady come in who’d been married thirty years. She gave us her husband's hair and she straight up disappeared. Talk about savage.”  

“Devi - not helping!” snapped Ange. Evelyn pinched her right earlobe, the shrillness reverberating round her earring. She shivered, and some of the mainstays of the morning commute looked over to her.  

Keeping her gaze to the floor, Evelyn pulled her canvas bag closer as the bus rattled and rolled. It was tactically placed - to her side, rather than underneath her, where it shrouded the amorphousness of her new thighs. Her new status quo was that she was occupying far, far more than just her usual seat. She pretended to paw inside for a book, covertly wafting out the sides to cover more of the shrinking space beside her. Silently praising serendipity, she found one and spread the pages, shadowing her rounded face.    

Her eyes barely focused on the page. Instead, she took in the willowed road, the cyclists passing by, the satchels and sneakers, the hugs and waves as a twenty-dozen course-loads of sophomores began their second college year. The way to campus was all smiles and sunshine. Evelyn tried to think positively. Surely, she was not the only student who had changed her look a little?    

The bus halted on the brow of a hill, and more people began to swarm in. Evelyn held her breath. Her cheeks flushed as she watched the other female undergrads saunter to the driver. Her pupils lay transfixed on low cut tops, skinny midriffs, wisps of abs, toned, tense thighs marshalling to the back seats. Their faces were slim and pretty. Strong, and angular.    

“They’re staring at me,” Evelyn whispered. “Guys, this was a bad idea.” 

“They’re just looking for somewhere to sit,” said Ange. “Everyone’s got concerns, honey. But not everyone is lucky enough to look as beautiful as you do.” 

“They’re jealous, basically” said Devi. “Look at that one. With the purple highlights, turning up her nose? Secretly, she wants your tits. She’s envious. Heh. Ooooh, look at her friend. Pink fur coat. She really wants your tits. In her hands. She’s - ” 

“Devi, ssshhhhhh,” Evelyn paled. 

“Hey, chill out,” said the vice-manager. “Only you can hear us. These earrings are attuned to you.”   

“But try not to talk too much, you don’t want the public thinking you’ve gone coo-coo,” said Ange. “Just relax and listen to the sound of my voice. Did you get a good breakfast this morning?”  

“Yes?” Evelyn lied. An apple was all she could face up to. Eating felt like a piercing taboo, and she was reluctant to find out just how far her appetite had grown with her body. Nerves were keeping her hunger in check, for now.  

“And are you drinking?”  

Evelyn produced a bottle of water and took gentle sips. Nothing cured the dryness that was mounting in her throat. The bus crawled up to the hilltop, and wheezed back onto the main road. She was three miles from campus, and getting closer. Cherry blossoms shivered as the rumbling hulk pulled into the stop before the crossroads.  

“What am I supposed to say?” she whispered. “Hi Daniel, remember me? I'm that girl who sits behind you in Dr. Vujic’s lectures? Yeah, I gained a couple hundred pounds this summer – wanna help carry my stomach to second period for me?”  

“Say exactly what we say. Now repeat after me,” Ange conducted. “Everything is going to be fine. Everything is going to be fine.”  

“Everything is going to be fine...” 

She took a long swig. The bus leered to the side. An old lady got off, a woman with a stroller followed on. Then a girl with a chihuahua in her handbag.  And then... 

A boy in a leather jacket swapped the change under the partition and went to find a seat. Evelyn inhaled the air, the dust, nearly even her tonsils.  

It was Daniel Brackwell. 

Eyes misting while the itch ran down her throat, Evelyn launched into a violent coughing fit.  

“Oh god,” Daniel paced over. “Are you okay?”  

“Mmmpphh!” Evelyn spluttered even harder, wiping her mouth on her sleeve. “cough...I’m fine!” 

He got to one knee, hastily thrust a hand into his jacket and produced a white rag. He pressed it into her palms. Evelyn nodded her thanks. 

“Not a handkerchief – sorry. It’s clean though, I promise,” said Daniel. “I was working on my bike this morning. I didn’t get very far...” 

“Oh...” Evelyn coughed her last. “Oh erm...you’ve got a motorbike?” She pictured her drama teacher scrutinising her from the gantry outside. “What’s err...what made you take the bus?”  

“Beats me,” Daniel shrugged. “Something got in my garage, popped both my tyres last night.” 

“Someone.” Devi whistled.  

“Un-bel-ievable...” groaned Ange. 

“Huh. Says the one who put a unicorn hair in her drinking water...” 

“What?” yelped Evelyn.  

“I know, right?” said Daniel. “I could have sworn I locked the door. Literally, I was working on it last night. I must’ve happened straight after I cleaned out the carb – the one, that’s...err...it’s kinda hard to explain...” 

“Repeat after me. The carburetor,” said Devi. 

“The carb...u...retor?” said Evelyn. 

“A little faster this time, okay?” said Devi. “Ahem. Ohhh - the thing that mixes air and fuel together?”  

“Um, the thing that mixes...air and fuel together, right?” Evelyn relayed.  

“Uhh...yeah,” Daniel raised his eyebrows. “You’re studying engineering?” 

“Actually...no,” Evelyn mouthed in time. “I just really like bikes. I used to have a Motus MSTR...” 

“Seriously? No way. So do I!” he beamed.  

“Mine was...pink. It had a...Deco...design on the frame,”  

“Art Deco? Hey, wait, is that Josef Hoffman?” He looked down at the book, carefully placed on her lap.  

“Umm. Yeah,” said Evelyn. “It’s for the seminar...” 

“Whoah. You’re on the same course as me! I’m Daniel, by the way – though most people call me Danny, I guess. What do people call you?” 

“People? Oh, you mean - friends,” Evelyn blushed.  

"Friends?" snapped Devi. "A goddess doesn't have friends, she has worshippers. He should cower before you."  

“Everybody stay calm," said Ange. "Evelyn – that's guy code for what you want your pet name to be. Just choose carefully. You're doing great.”  

“Evelyn Stone,” Devi rolled the words on her tongue. “Make him work. You’re strong, you’re heavy, you’re Evelyn."   

“I’m heavenly,” said Evelyn.  

“Yes!” shouted Devi. 

"Huh?" said Daniel.  

"I mean...oh, sorry!" Evelyn forced a smile while her internal monologue screamed in despair. "I mean – I'm heavy." 

"Shit, she's on autopilot - Ange...do something. Do something!" Devi yelled.  

"You're...Evie?" said Daniel. 

"Uhh...yeah..." said Evelyn. "You can call me Evie...if you like." 

She found her toes curling, dipping her smile. But she couldn’t pull away from his eyes.  

“Sure, Evie” Daniel smiled. “Err, would you like to stop off for coffee? Our seminar’s not until eleven after all.” He shrugged. “You've got time, right? It’s cool if you’re busy.” 

“Oh no...err...yes!” Evelyn nodded, tingling both outside and in. 

“Err, is that a ‘yes you’re free’, or a ‘yes you’re busy?’” Daniel tilted his face.  

“No! I mean, yes. Yes - Coffee. That sounds great,” she said. “I’m sure I could err...squeeze you in,” 

“Oooh,” said Devi. “Nice.” 

Evelyn went snow white. But her crush lit up like a Christmas tree. “Awesome!” Daniel grinned. “I like the Salvation,” 

“Oh, err – the one on the corner?” Evelyn found her voice.  

“Yeah, you ever been before?” 

“Errm. I’ve seen it before? I... usually....usually I just go to Starbucks,” 

“Hey,” Daniel smiled. “I know you might’ve heard the rumours...” 

“What rumours?” said Evelyn, intrigued.  

“That it’s the greatest?” Daniel winked. “And you can’t complain. This one’s on me.”  

The creamy cappuccino doused her nerves, half an hour later. It really was that good. They settled in a quiet corner, and talked about architecture, then paintings, then museums. She made a pledge to go to MoMA. He promised he’d visit Italy next year, like she’d done before college. They sat together through the seminar, then shared lunch in a café by the lake. She found herself laughing at his jokes. She told him a story about her uncles, then they swapped tales about their families until the end of the break, where they went to the lecture, then spent the afternoon in the library – though thoughts of study stayed far from their minds. Daniel invited her to dinner in the city that evening, and Evelyn arrived bedecked to the nines. Ange had done her proud. It was more than a new look. It was a new lifestyle. 

Her big belly swept under her lacey, bejeweled blue dress as a waiter ushered her to the table her date had reserved. Evelyn smiled, and gingerly checked her makeup in the mirror. She was alone, and she asked to sample the entrees to stifle the agonising passing of the minutes and seconds. First, she sipped a cool glass of proffered white wine, and watched the tall sommelier drift off behind the bar. 

“He’s not gonna stand me up, right?” Evelyn swallowed, pinching her ear. 

“Course he’s coming, he’s just running a little late,” said Devi. “Public transport. Heh.”  

“We’re so proud of you, Evie,” said Ange. “Would you like one last piece of advice?”  

“Sure,” said Evelyn. “Hit me,” 

“Red and blue,” said Ange. “They clash, honey.”  

Evelyn thumbed her ruby earrings, nervously.  Her wide thighs pressed together. 

“We’ve done all we can,” the manager said. “You’ve been amazing, and so I think now’s the time.” 

“Yeah, take off the dress,” said Devi. “Do it when he arrives. Blow his mind,”  

“Time to let go,” Ange continued over the top of her sister.  

Evelyn touched the edge of the French clips. 

“You’ll be there, won’t you?” she whispered. “If it’s a disaster?” 

“Of course. And we’ll be there when you’re back in the store, gushing about how lovely everything is,” Ange said, tenderly. 

Evie unzipped her handbag, and removed the voices from her ears. She closed her eyes, and let them slip through her chubby fingers.  

“Enjoy, darling,” she heard Ange call from the distance. “The beef bourguignon is divine.”     

Night bled into day. Summer sunshine beamed through the blue curtains. Evelyn spent her first waking minutes staring at the ceiling, content to rest and reminisce while her lover snoozed softly, his sweaty head on her chest. She pawed her fingers through his hair, feeling warm and safe, cosy and contented. The student smiled, the afterglow ruminating round every inch of her generously laden body. She felt wonderful. 

Evelyn had spent most of the night spread on the pillows, consuming cupcake after cupcake, urging him deeper into her rolls of fat, hinting, whispering, directing his every movement to pamper her as she giggled in pleasure beneath. Her stomach gurgled softly. She sighed, glad to be devoid of the stuffed feeling she'd fallen asleep with, the mountain of chocolate and cream in her belly freshly pumped into her layers of fat. Her pudgy pinky finger slipped into her belly button, and she pinched, poked and explored. 

She could practically feel herself growing larger, her lush curves thickening and widening. Evelyn licked her lips, uncertain. A few more nights like these, she thought to herself, and soon something as simple as a walk along the beach would leave her breathing as hard and as heavy as she'd been at the sight of him between her thighs. The student smiled at the memory, her chins creasing. She had as much hope of regaining her fitness as she did of refusing his touch. She was all his.  

She grinned inwardly. She had barely stopped eating, not even after Daniel had squared away the restaurant bill, grinning while he’d helped her box the leftovers. She'd taken his hand and let him spirit her to his place, for more coffee, chocolate truffles, and a film. Warmth filled her from the moment they kissed, and by the time she’d pulled away long enough to take a quaking series of steps to the bedroom she’d fallen into a caldera. Her body – she quickly learned – was built for pure pleasure. Her heart began to pound anew. A regular schedule dates like this and she was going to grow utterly enormous.  

Evelyn stuck a plump foot out of the covers. She considered checking up on her weight, but realised it would invoke the not-so-tempting motion of getting out of bed. Instead, she softly wiggled her hips, rousing her partner. Daniel awoke with bleary, blinking eyes.  

"Morning," she cooed. 

Daniel checked his watch. 

"Uhh....afternoon?" he said, half-shrugging. "Heh. Guess we might've missed class...we could make the second lecture, if we hurry..." 

"Do I look like a woman who hurries?" said Evelyn, opening her mouth in mock shock. She closed her eyes and gave him a gentle kiss on the forehead. "I'm more of someone who likes to...savour the important things..." 

She bucked her hips, bringing his face closer to hers. Pursing her lips, she kissed him deeply, purring as his hands pressed on her love handles, pushing into her rolls and folds.  

"Mmmm. Like breakfast," she added, letting him pull away. "You know, that other much more important thing we missed?"  

"Yeah," Daniel sighed. "Brunch it is, I guess," 

Evelyn shot him a look of pure poison. 

"Are you trying to cheat me out of a meal?" she questioned, forcing angered passion into her smiling eyes. She began to rock, rolling her hips, rattling the bedframe. "Breakfast and lunch, I think you'll find...are two very, different, things."  

Grunting, she threw herself over her partner with a swing of the leg and a sultry grin. She dipped her chest, and her huge breasts flooded his face.  

"MMmmummmphh," Daniel wheezed, his voice muffled. "Mmmpphh!" 

“I hope that meant ‘Yes Miss Evie, right away’, Mister,” she exclaimed.  

Evelyn arched her back, granting him a moment's respite.   

“Alright. Alright!" he coughed. "What I was going to say was, ‘what would you like me to make for you?’”  

“Cute,” said Evelyn, smiling. “But we’re ordering in. I don’t want to leave this bed, and I don’t want to let you out of my sight.”  

She thrust her breasts back into his face as she reached over to grab his phone from the headboard, crushing him under her blubbery stomach.   

“Hi, yeah. Two deluxe sausage and bacon sandwiches please, with potato wedges. Two twelve-inch pizzas, a large soda. Oh, and two chocolate muffins.”  

She cupped her boobs.  

“Want anything, babe?”  

“Err...I’m good...” said Daniel with a shrug. 

“Awesome,” said Evelyn. “We won’t have to waste time waiting for you to finish." She winked. "....yeah, that's everything. Thirty bucks - cool.” 

She put the phone down and let out a long, loud belch. Evelyn covered her offending mouth with her palm, looking down at Daniel with a little giggle.   

"You know, I have some great recipes I'd love for you to try." he said, looking her deep in the eyes. "They're organic. And they're really healthy," 

"Oooh, sounds delicious," said Evelyn. "Slap them on a pizza and you can spend our next date feeding me more." 

She pinched him on the cheek. Daniel blinked. 

"Oh, throw in a bowl of cheesy fries too. Don't skimp..." 

Evelyn tapped a fingertip on the bridge of his nose, then rolled off his warm body, thudding against the wall. The mattress springs whined, and she grinned as she jiggled and shook.  

"Ooofff...because I don't ever want to leave this bed, unless I'm bigger than I was the day before." She slapped her stomach. "I'm going to blow through my whole new wardrobe, and you're going to be responsible for it. Sound like a plan?" 

“Sure," Daniel mumbled. "Whatever makes you happy...I guess...” 

Evelyn rolled her eyes. "You need to work on your sexy talk," she said. "Lucky I've got friends who can help. I hope you don't mind wearing earrings." 

She tried to sit up, and felt resistance. Grunting, she grabbed the mattress fabric and pushed on her elbows. Her soft arms sunk a little deeper. Bucking her hips, she shook back her hair and tried again.  

"Nnnghhh...nnnghhh..."  

She slapped her hand against the wall, but there was nothing to hold. Evelyn flopped back down again, bemused. 

"Babes...would you mind scooching over? I think I need some extra wiggle room." 

"Sure...Evie..." 

Daniel left the bed without a second thought. Evelyn admired his tense shoulders and the shadows of his chiselled abs - a laughable contrast to her own, deep in blubber, still aching under the strain of her sitting up. Gaining back her strength, she tipped herself over to the left, rolling on her front then onto her back again, letting a foot dangle off the edge of the bed then lifting her back, rotating around until she settled into a seated position, clutching the cover over her plump breasts and naked crotch.  

"Phew...heh...still getting used to this. Fuck. Danny, I can't get up," she sighed. "I'm so fat I have to roll out of bed. Ha. Ooofff." 

She rolled her eyes. Exhausted, she flopped back down, splaying her wobbling arms. The mattress groaned as she breathed gently, her hulking flab settling into place. "Pretty hot though, right?" She winked at him, peering over melon-sized breasts. 

He made no noise. Evelyn cut her smile, and stared at his frown lines. 

"Need a little help?" he said quietly.  

"Heh,” Evelyn blinked. “Sure...could you hold me...." 

Daniel extended a hand. She latched onto his elbow and heaved herself off her butt with his support, staggering into his embrace.  

"Unnfff...thanks," she wheezed, her feet finally on the floor. "You're strong and I'm just like...pure squish. It's a good thing we're compatible, huh?"  

"I'm. Errmm...” Danny gave her a queer glance. “I'm glad you think so...err..." 

She watched his lip curl up. Evelyn narrowed her eyes.  

“You're acting weird," she noted. "Are you okay?" 

"Sure. Totally. Err..." 

"I know I pretty much just said I want to be fatter for you - maybe that's going a little too fast, but," She guided his hand under the swell of her stomach, humming. "You're cool with this, right?" 

Her partner was quiet. She looked at his face. His eyes found the corner of the room. 

"Stop dodging my question. Are you into me?" Evelyn started to stress. "I’ve been eating like a maniac. Does that…doesn't that turn you on, Daniel? To see me stuffed like this?”  

Daniel paused. Evelyn's legs gave way. She flopped back down on the mattress, stricken. The bed creaked and whined.   

“Daniel, do you even like fat girls?” she exclaimed.    

The silence was deafening. She studied every inch of his face. Her lover was solidified to the spot.   

"Umm. I don't know what you want me to say," Daniel mumbled. "I mean, last night was kinda good...right?"  

Evelyn felt a hot tear tumble down her cheek. She latched on to his arm and stood up again, steadying herself, her underarm flab wavering, then closed her hands around her breasts. Her belly hung quivering over her thighs. 

"Daniel, I've made myself into a pig," she said, between deep, straining breaths. "Tell me that this is what you're into. Just, please...." She squeezed her thighs together. "Tell me you wanted to fuck the fattest girl on campus. That's what I've become. I used to be a skinny girl. This what I've done to my body. This was for you."  

"Evie...I, I don't get what you're saying," Daniel held out his hands. "You got big...for me? We've only just met. This doesn't make any sense."  

"Tell me the truth," said Evelyn, the cogs turning in her mind. She closed in a step, wiping her eyes. "Tell me I didn't just pick up some hair on your jacket from some random fat fetish freak you bumped into on lunch break."  

Her breasts heaved as she huffed, her pupils filled with fire, her lungs ready to explode with anguish. Daniel tried to lay another calming hand on her shoulder. Evelyn slapped it away and he flinched.  

"I'm sorry," said Daniel. "I don't understand. Have I done something wrong?"   

Evelyn choked. She threw herself past her lover's shoulder, seized her clothes and thundered out of his bedroom, naked and whimpering.   

"Evie, wait! I didn't mean to get you upset!"  

Tears streaming, the student slammed the door behind her, dressing out of sight in the corridor. She bobbled backward, stretching her twisted underwear over her thighs, the leggings following on in tightened inches. She seized her blubbery stomach with malice and thrust it under her shirt as she stomped down the stairs to the ground floor. Shoving her bare feet into her shoes, Evelyn shimmied through the glass door of the main entrance, hit the street and waddled for the bus stop at the end of the road, her eyes as raw as the edge of her thighs.  

The student lowered her head as she crossed past a gaggle of her peers, en route to the lecture. Her every muscle ached. Coldness was setting into her shaking shoulders, but Evelyn only felt humiliation. The student cringed as the muddy crest of a puddle lapped over her laces, propelled by the wheels of the bus streaming through the soaking mist. She ground her legs into action, huffing and wheezing through coughing sobs. 

The driver caught sight of her in his wing mirror and slowed the bus in time for her to join the last lady in the queue. Lungs screaming for release, Evelyn tossed back her hair and tried to regain her composure. She winced as a busload of concerned looks rested on her dampened form, barely dressed for the weather, as she stepped aboard.  

"Return to campus?" the driver asked.  

"No thanks," Evelyn dried her cheeks. "Single."

Closing time came an hour sooner on Mondays. The hordes of shoppers bolted, each trying to beat the last to the parking lot, and dodge the slew of traffic buffering the space between the pouring rain and the warmth of their cluttered homes. Only one vehicle streamed against the current – a dinted, beat-up Honda Fit in a flaking baby blue, the chassis listing ever so slightly onto the driver’s side.   

Shutters thundered, and the weary security guards made their final sweep of the plaza. A sole pink light shone from a corner of the first floor, where two shadows made busy to the sound of a soft aria from the gramophone – Ange's choice. Devi scoured the corridors for customers left over, and her partner sealed the backrooms, the cash registers, and lastly strode to the shopfront door with a long golden key. 

The sanguine manager stopped in her long stride at the sight of Evelyn Stone. Her customer was pressed on the window, peering in. Her hair was sopping wet, floppy and frizzled from the shower she had thrust herself into, washing and wishing the stickiness of her last night’s embrace away. She had rifled herself into the closest fitting clothes she could find, a mismatch of black jeans and one of her old thrift shop tees, taut around the breasts her zipper jacket couldn’t be pulled over. A winter coat had buried the inadequacies of her ensemble, but her tiresome scurry to the shopfront had forced her to shed it off. Even though the soak of the frigid rain permeated down to her bra straps, she felt boiling and sweaty.  

The tee had ridden up, and the heartbroken girl’s pale belly shivered as it puffed up against the glass. Evelyn looked every bit as tired as she felt. She was despondent, and miserable.  

"Evie! Are you...are you okay?" Ange exclaimed, shooting a hand for the door. The silver bell chimed and she ushered her through with a hand on her shoulder.  

"No...“ Evelyn sobbed, barely lifting her head. “I used the wrong hair...” 

“Oh honey,” Ange hugged her close. “We’re so sorry!” 

The student sniffed. 

“Can you...can you make me skinny again?” she pleaded. “Maybe not...skinny, again, just...like the way I was before? So I can go back and pretend I never existed?” Evelyn sobbed. She clasped her face in her hands, dabbing her tears with her sodden sleeve. 

“Umm...err...” Devi nearly shrank back into the shadows from which she had emerged. “We don’t really do do-overs. There’s kind of a ‘no return’ curse, I mean...clause...” 

“It was an honest mistake,” Ange insisted. “Maybe the aura of the rooms will look favorably on the past.” 

“Huh. Maybe you’re right,” said Devi. “Rules are made to be broken after all. You got any hairs for the – oooh, heh, what’s this?”  

She stroked a long red fingernail down Evelyn’s shoulder, and gathered a single dark, curled hair. The student felt a twinge of searing embarrassment.  

“Wow. He was all over you,” Devi cooed.  

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Evelyn hissed, tepid in misery. She could still feel his hands on her pallid skin, his chest against hers, his fingers stroking the softness that unapologetically graced her chin. Had he opened his eyes to even look at her? She couldn’t remember – pig-ignorant, nose deep in creamy, luxurious muffins, slurping and feasting. She’d trapped him – crushed him under an avalanche of her flab. No wonder the marks on her sides rubbed so raw.  

“...he wanted to escape,” she mumbled. “I took it way too far...I must’ve made him feel so awkward.”  

She twisted her coil of her gently drying locks, and plucked a long, golden hair loose.  

“I don’t know if you take applications from people trying to love themselves, but...I need you to shrink me back again. I can’t spend another day like this,” said Evelyn, suddenly unsure of what to do with her arms. “I’m way too big,” she murmured and turned, staring at the voluptuous curves of her rear end. “I mean, a different girl could probably pull it off, just...” She let her hands fall. “Not me.” 

“You sure were rocking it last night though, weren’t you?” said Devi. 

“Yeah but that was then,” Evelyn mumbled. “That was when I thought he found me attractive,”  

“The rooms,” Ange murmured, curling her fingers. A distant hum emanated from the ground beneath her feet, surging through her shoes. Evelyn could have sworn she saw a ring of light arc round the crown of her hair. “The rooms! They’re working! You must be so special, Evelyn sweetheart. It would seem that you’re getting another chance...” 

“Ha. What do you say?” said Devi, raising the stud in her eyebrow as she wrapped Daniel’s hair around Evelyn’s finger. “Up for Round Two?” 

“No way,” said Evelyn. “It’d be weird. He watched me literally clear out his snack drawer for crying out loud. He must think I'm a pig. I’d have to pretend to be my hot, skinny twin sister or something stupid...” 

“That’s not stupid, dear,” Ange smiled serenely. “Why, Devi used to do that all the time.” 

“Only when I was grounded,” Devi rolled her eyes. “What that bitch wants to say, is – we think you’re perfect, exactly the way as you are. But if you wanna do a do-over one last time, then choose a hair, and walk this way...” 

She beckoned with her crimson painted fingernail. Evelyn turned her feet inwardly as the twosome disappeared behind the glittering curtains, chattering as they took their places in the studios down below. She thought about herself. She looked down at her warm palms, her pudgy fingers, the two hairs. The shining one in the left hand, the dark one in the right.  

Did she want anyone to notice her? She thought about Danny. She outweighed him by well over a hundred pounds. Yet in his arms she had never felt so light. She saw herself in his kitchen, then his room, then his bed, warm, safe and loved... 

“Yeah, yeah, his dick’s huge, whatever. Geez, your mind is kinky as f -” she heard Devi call, as a strong breeze rattled the curtain’s pearls. “Just hurry up and pick one - we closed like, five minutes ago!” 

Evelyn shut her eyes. She took the one she wanted, and let the other float to the floor.   

“I’m ready,” she whispered. 

The student took a deep breath, and shifted towards the shining chamber below the store. Her gait was slow, cumbersome, jaunty. Fat slapped against fat with every crash of her thighs. Evelyn adjust her posture, leaning to lift her obtrusive belly a little off her straining jeans. 

Just a couple more seconds... she inwardly groaned, marshalling through her reddening itches and aches, while her flab jiggled and weaved on her descent down the spiral stairs. Already, her new jeans were starting to show wear and tear where her bottom half bunched and chafed.  

Just a couple more steps...   

She approached the familiar yellow wall, lights sparkling like a slot machine. She knew she was taking a risk. Her corpulent frame enveloped the four corner mirrors, and slowly, she felt a force muster from the soles of her feet.  

“Please,” she whispered. 

Evelyn stood on her tiptoes, her fingers crossed. Slowly, she began to rise, inch by inch. Bathed in a calming, comforting aurora, she finally felt the pull of her paunch lessen and loosen. Her hairs were floating, her flesh swimming softly around her. The heat of a star started to manifest deep beneath her skin. 

Her stomach grew warmest of all. Evelyn felt every other part of her body grow numb. She gasped through a tremendous easing of pressure. Then... 

The light faded to blackness. Gravity plucked her back from the sky. Evelyn dropped through the feet she’d risen and caught herself before she toppled over again. She staggered unsteady on her overtaxed feet. She held out her arms, anxious at the feeling of her tee shirt still cutting into her arms. She steadied herself, and grimaced at the kiss of her legs. 

“Ange?” Evelyn called out. “Devi? Are you there?”  

“Always here, darling,” said Ange.  

“Is it over?” 

“Errmm,” said Devi, examining a slither of floating sand in a shining hourglass. “Yup. Sure looks like it is.” 

Evelyn gulped. Raw, naked stupefaction rocked her to the core.  

“I didn’t get another chance, did I?” she almost whispered. Her eyes glistened moist as she stared back in the mirror at her body. She felt trapped in a teardrop, slown down, heavy, listless and sponge cake soft, all over, everywhere she couldn’t see...    

“It’s...no, that can’t be possible. We’re not getting anything,” said Devi. “I think you’re...done...” 

“Why didn’t it work?” said Evelyn, twisting her lips. She looked behind herself, eyes rooted to the swell of her bottom. “I haven’t lost an ounce!” she lamented. “I’ve...I think I’ve - oh god, have I put weight on?” 

She jumped and jiggled herself. Her belly had blown back up to the same size she had let it reach with Daniel pleasuring her, stuffed to the max with succulent treats. Only this time, she was no longer full. Her soft stomach lolled over her jeans button, where another fresh inch of bulging flesh peeked out from under her tee.    

“I’m fatter,” she whimpered. “Feels like....nnnghhh....” Evelyn’s jeans clenched her hips as the big girl took a swaying step. “Nnnnghhh. I feel like I’ve put on another, huff - thirty pounds or something...oh my god....” 

“Don’t sweat, maybe the powers that be just need a little nudge! Stay there a sec,” Devi wrapped her fingers round her waist. Evelyn felt her examining flesh that wasn’t there before. She massaged, prodded and squeezed. She mumbled something in a language Evelyn couldn’t understand. A sprinkle of silvery dust wafted through her fingers. Devi blew softly on her stomach, watching the dust disperse. 

There was silence.  

“Oh,” the vice manager murmured, growing red in the face once a moment had passed. “Errm, yeeaahhh...err....this beats me. We definitely had the right guy this time. D. Brackwell. Student. Biker. Restoration architect wannabe. Double-checked it, right?” 

“We triple-checked,” said Ange, smoothing back her hair in bafflement.  

“But I’m huge,” Evelyn stressed, gripping handfuls of golden locks. She was too stunned to cry. She seized her belly, pained to notice it was blocking her view of her feet. “Look at me. Look at all this!” She did a spin. “This is all wrong,” she whispered. “I thought this was supposed to make me perfect, now I’m...I’m...so...” 

“Sweetheart,” Ange said, slowly closing her eyes. “If the rooms saw you in this state, and left you nearly as you are, this can only mean one thing. Have you considered that...maybe, you’re already his idea of perfection?”  

“But...the hair,” Evelyn mumbled, weakly.  

“Deepest desires are rarely set in stone,” Ange explained. “They change. People change. And this new you...this really might be what he’s looking for.” 

Evelyn blinked.  

“He misses you,” said Devi, biting her lip. “I can tell.”  

“He wants to see you happy,” said Ange. “And I think in this form...in this body...you must’ve conjured something deep inside him. In his eyes, this is you at your loveliest.”  

Evelyn paused. Then she felt her butt wobble with a slap and a sudden squeeze.  

“Or maybe you’ve turned him,” said Devi, slipping her hand up her side rolls to cup the college student’s breast. “Look at all this meat. Heh. You go girl.” 

Her other hand settled on Evelyn’s hip. The big girl breathed softly. She settled her eyes on herself in the mirror, filling the frame, letting Devi trace her hourglass shape with her teeth on her bottom lip.  

“Evelyn Stone...” Her voice was low and sultry. “Sexy...curvy...sensual...” 

“...sensual...” Evelyn murmured.  

“Maybe your Danny wasn’t so dedicated to women of your dimensions before, but, now that he’s gotten to know you a little better...” Ange shrugged. “Like I said, people change, darling.” 

“They grow,” Devi whispered in her ear.  

Evelyn trembled as she felt a thin tape rake up the inside of her hefty thigh. A warm glow permeated her cheeks. 

“Whatever’s next is up to you, but we’ll need your measurements again, honey,” said Ange, clutching the two ends and drawing them tighter. “Fall season’s coming and I have a feeling that they’re not quite the same as before.” 

“You need something to wrap up warm,” said Devi. 

“Pajamas, nighties, hoodies, onesies, so many possibilities....” said Ange. 

“Something for concerts, something for parties...” 

“Something light with something red...” 

“And maybe something with a little extra stretch.” 

Evelyn tingled under veils of satin and lace as the assistants went to work, busying round her body with scissors and stitches. Her embonpoint swayed, ample and considerable, but a greater weight yet came away from her shoulders, as she slowly felt her timbre return to life.    

It was the evening of the third day of term when she saw him, just as she stepped off the bus. Daniel was alone in the shelter by her stop, leaning on the lone apple tree. He had waited for her. He unplugged his Blackberry from his crimson headphones, placed it in his pocket, and produced two radiant pieces of antique jewelry. Evelyn froze.  

“Hey...you left your earrings behind at mine,” said Daniel. He held out the twin rubies, enraptured in gold. “I just thought maybe you’d want them back...they look really expensive,” 

He gently handed them over. 

“...and I'd like to apologise...I’m sorry,” 

Evelyn was silent. She squeezed the gems in her palm. 

“I was so excited yesterday – really, I was – if I looked a little cold, I was just trying to process how I got so lucky. I’ve never met anyone like you, Evelyn. I’ve been hurt before, and you...you just seemed too good to be true.”  

He dropped his shoulders. 

“No buts, I think you’re beautiful and... look, I got a tip off from a friend who delivers plants on evenings and weekends – long story – what I really mean is, you won’t believe what I’m about to say.” He scratched the edge of his ear and smiled. “There’s this women’s clothing store in the mall and they have these…they have these changing rooms, but it’s not what it sounds like.” 

Daniel glanced over his shoulder. 

“They can literally change the person you are. They can turn you into someone else’s dream,” he whispered, looking into her eye. "You're only supposed to get one chance per person, but I figured if you took mine, they could make it work. You could be big, you could be skinny...if that's what you really want, I don't care. You could be anything you want to be... and I'd still think you're awesome. I just want you to be happy." 

Evelyn cocked her head to the side. She eyed his headphones, and the glimmering red gemstone set in the earpiece on his left. She couldn't help but smirk over the lump in her throat. 

"You...went to a women's fashion boutique," she breathed. "And you bought a pair of girl's headphones, for this one conversation... just because you didn't want to hurt my feelings..." 

“Uh...umm...maybe?” said Daniel, grinning. She saw him blush for the first time. “It’s not what it looks like...okay, it is what it looks like. You’re hot and...I love you.” 

"Heh. Thanks Devi," Evelyn laughed. Her stomach wobbled.  

"No. Really, that was me," said Daniel. "Really. The whole world probably thinks I'm coming on way too strong and I’m doing crazy things for someone they've barely met..." 

Evelyn felt her belly grumble. Her cheeks pinkened.  

You’re not the first, she pondered.   

"But I mean it," he continued. "You're a great person, I want to get to know you better, and if there's anything I can get for you -" 

She put a finger to his lips. 

"I don't want anything from the store." Evelyn said, blinking. She brushed back her hair, and smoothed a protective hand over her stomach. "I just want to be with you. Is that okay?"  

Daniel couldn't hold back his smile. He took off his headphones, donning them around his neck. 

"Yes, Miss Evie."  

Evelyn burst into whimpers of delight. Her every pound melted like butter as they shared a kiss under the apples, holding him so tight for so long that she lost all track of the world outside, until the next bus came to a shuddering stop beside them. Hand in hand, they whisked one another away. 

"It's funny," she whispered, leaning her head into his shoulder as they walked slowly. "They told you everything, right?” 

“I think so,” said Daniel. 

“So, you know about the first hair, huh?” Evelyn mused. She spun in front of him, letting him drink in the view. “Guess that means there’s someone out there who could be getting really turned on right now..." 

“Sure it isn’t just anybody?” Daniel smirked, looking to the sky. “Hope you’re thinking what I’m thinking” 

“Heh. My place?” said Evelyn, winking. 

“...pizza?” said Daniel, returning the gesture.  

His headphones dropped to the ground as they delved back into their kiss, closing their eyes, shuffling closer and closer together, then shifting hand in hand slowly down the road to the garden gate. Glowing by the roots of the apple tree, the red gem pulsed from dark to light, dark to light, while two beaming shadows slipped into one, before slowly melting away into the night.