Gilmore Girls Stuffing Story: A Stars Hollow Eating Contest

YinX

Gilmore Girls Stuffing Story: A Stars Hollow Eating Contest

this plays in the world of the Gilmore Girls series. if characters or dates deviate then it is likely intended though I don't mind you if you ask or point out flaws.

Part 1: Introduction

On a warm autumn afternoon Lorelai Gilmore entered the local fast food store without much of a thought. She had not been eating anything since breakfast and it was 5PM already which was very unusual for her but served a purpose. She knew that eating something now was not beneficial for the upcoming contest but her stomach had taken control of her actions and it needed something right now and not in one hour. Besides, there would probably not be much of a competition to begin with. So she ordered two Cheeseburgers, a Donut and a medium sized Vanilla Milkshake which was not more than just an appetizer by Lorelai Gilmore standards. She sat back in her car and began to munch away while she drove to the event area where she was appointed to meet her teammates Rory and Dean.

The 34-year old Lorelai is a single mother who lives in a peaceful small town called Stars Hollow in Connecticut. She is an independent and free-spirited woman with a golden heart and I could describe in many words how fabulous she looks but if you want to know that you can easily google her. Rory is Lorelai's beautiful 18-year old prodigy daughter who has a bright future ahead of her and Dean is Rory's boyfriend. She did not keep her own age a secret so anyone who did the math knew that Lorelai gave birth to her at the very young age of sixteen but that did not keep her from being a great mother. The small age difference even had the advantage that the two could often be more like friends than like mother and daughter.

At first Lorelai did not like Dean. She thought Rory was just a foolish little girl who had a silly crush on a good looking tall athlete. But with time the relationship of Lorelai and Dean got better and better. Dean is not a genius like her daughter but he isn't stupid either. She learned that he is a nice guy with a good heart and even though he currently only works in a supermarket he is a diligent worker and plans to go to college soon. He is no drinker or pothead and accepts the fact that Rory's ambitious college plans mean that she doesn't always have time for him. But most importantly he loves her daughter and she loves him. Lorelai has realized that her daughter truly loved Dean as well and if Lorelai has learned anything from her own past it is that love matters much more than ambitious plans of ambitious parents. By now Lorelai is actually very happy with the boyfriend her daughter has chosen who had once again proven to have a better sense of judgment than herself.

Part 2: No Rory

A few minutes later she arrived in the small event hall that in contrast to the empty fast food box in her hand was already quite filled with spectators. It looked like half of Stars Hollow was there to celebrate Stars Hollow's fourth annual Eating Contest. The atmosphere in the hall was casual. Most people did not take the contest very serious, what mattered for them was the get-together and the fun. They wanted to get out and enjoy a little bit of variety and for that it didn't really matter if it was an eating contest, a giant corn maze that was spread all over the city or a dance marathon. Stars Hollow was a friendly town in which everyone knew everyone and whenever people met they had a lot of townlet gossip to share. The background murmur and chatter all these people made was loud enough to drown the clicking of Lorelai's High Heels from her own ears. Unlike most of the others however Lorelai took this contest quite serious so she even dressed up well for it. Her outfit was not over the top, but she still spent quite a while in front of the mirror and ended up wearing black High Heels, subtle makeup and a beautiful knee-long Bordeaux colored dress that was revealing just a tiny bit of her quite substantial cleavage.

The first thing Lorelai did after arriving was to secretly throw the empty Fast Food box into a nearby bin because she felt that it would be a bit awkward if she got caught with it so shortly before an eating contest. Her team was the odds-on favorite to win after all. Three years ago the contest was held for the first time after Stars Hollow's mayor and only politician Taylor Doose has seen a contest in a nearby town and was impressed with the atmosphere and with how many visitors came. Even though Lorelai often made fun of Taylor because of his pedantism as well as his excessive ambitiousness as a townlet mayor she had to admit that this has been one of his better ideas. What Lorelai concerned it was easily the best idea because she simply loved to eat a lot and this contest gave her a perfect opportunity. Back then Taylor had decided to make this a team of three competition and so far Lorelai has been a member of each winning team. For all three years so far she was in one team with her best friend Sookie. In the first year they teamed with Rory's dad Christopher who still has a good relationship with them but because he tends to appear and disappear at random intervals the last two years they just teamed with Rory and she was a good replacement. Both years they won in pretty dominating fashion. Lorelai and Sookie can eat like crazy. You can easily see why the overweight Sookie would be such a good eater simply by looking at her but despite Lorelai's womanly yet slim figure she was the major eater of their team. A normal woman with Lorelai's calorie intake would weigh a ton in no time but thanks to her good metabolism, stressful job and caffeine-fueled hyperactivity her figure was kept in a great shape.

And even though Rory was a much more responsible person than her mother some of Lorelai's bad behavior has rubbed off on her. Eating far more than what you should was one of these things. Years of ordering more food from the delivery service than what would be considered sane, candy-fueled film marathons and quad desserts after family pizzas have trained her stomach capacity well.

This year however there would be no Sookie on the team. Sookie was pregnant and so she was absolutely fussy about living as healthy as possible and that of course included no overeating. Lorelai and Rory had decided that the replacement for her would be Dean. He was a tall guy and an athlete so they figured he could eat well too. Not that they would need him to carry the team though: the competition was not very fierce and for the last two year's they celebrated their victory with a coffee and a small piece of cake at their favorite place Luke's diner afterwards.

Lorelai looked around the hall to find Rory and Dean. It was not an easy task to find anyone in this crowded place, not even the tall Dean who should tower the crowd like a lighthouse. What made things even more difficult was that almost everyone here knew her and wanted to talk to her about gossip or ask her if she would win again this year. Lorelai's modesty made her tell them that it would be tough even though she supposed that this would be an easy win again. During the last years she didn't even have to go close to what she could eat and yet they won handily (though Sookie and Rory seemed to be quite full towards the end). Little did she know how right she was when she told her friends how hard it would be.

After asking about a dozen people about Rory's whereabouts she came to the conclusion that her usually overly reliable daughter was not present. Lorelai immediately called her on her mobile phone. No one answered. The contest would start in thirty minutes but Lorelai was not too worried so she decided to just register their team Rory-Dean-Lorelai for the contest anyway and wait for them to show up.

The next minutes Lorelai spent waiting at the entrance small-talking with friends from Stars Hollow about the weather, her chances of winning the contest and the latest townlet gossip. With less than 5 minutes on the clock her mobile phone finally vibrated. It was a text message from Rory that read:

"sorry! on our way! arrive as fast as possible! try to stall! sorry!!!!"

So Rory was indeed late. Even though Rory resembled a saint she was also still an 18 year old girl hanging out with her boyfriend so it is not unusual that she would forget the time for once. In fact Lorelai sometimes joked that Rory should be a little less perfect so that she doesn't look so bad in comparison. But today was such an inconvenient occasion for that wish to come true Lorelai thought to herself. She messaged Rory back and told her to hurry even though she knew that was exactly what Rory was doing anyway. More important was the question how she could possibly stall for time. This was organized by none other than Taylor Doose after all who was a natural born civil servant, always acting strict by the rules (unless they are to his personal disadvantage) and not sympathetic towards dawdlers at all. Nonetheless she had to try.

"Hey, Taylor... I have a question." Lorelai asked in her sweetest voice.

"Hi Lorelai, as you can see I am very busy at the moment so maybe you can consider asking me that question at a different time." he answered, busy with the last preparations.

"No Taylor, this is urgent." she insisted.

"What is it this time Lorelai?" a visibly stressed Taylor asked.

"Rory will be a few minutes late"

"And?" Taylor asked, honestly not understanding what Lorelai was getting at.

"And she is a part of my team."

"And what does that have to do with me? If you need someone to pick her up I am hardly the right person. Mind your own business and let me mind mine."

"No Taylor, what I wanted to ask is if you could delay the whole thing for maybe a few minutes." Lorelai asked, though she already knew the answer.

"No Lorelai, that is impossible." Taylor told her unsurprisingly.

"Please, Taylor. We have the title defender bonus."

"No Lorelai. The rules say nothing about a title defender bonus and the contest starts in two minutes. The deadline was well known and it counts for everyone, even you."

"Yes, and I am here."

"Stop your deviations. The deadline counts for Rory too. All other teams have managed to be here in time, too."

"But..."

"Look" Taylor interrupted her "everyone is ready and the spectators are waiting. Now leave me alone."

Lorelai knew that further arguing was pointless and what made things worse was that Taylor was right. Lorelai had to think of something different.

"In that case would it be okay for me to start the contest alone?" she asked.

"What do you mean, start the contest alone? If this is another of your antics I don't have time for it." he answered.

"No antics, I promise. I just sit down there alone, do the first one or two rounds myself and then when my team arrives they join me." she explained.

"Hmm, that is odd and I doubt you can do it but I don't think there are any rules that forbid it. When they arrive they can join you. Go ahead. Just go."

"Wait. How about you delay it until Rory is here?" Lorelai asked again. Even though it might cost her when she needs him again in his function as mayor it was just too much fun to torture him.

"No, I already told you that is impossible." Taylor answered with a painful expression on his face. "Leave me alone."

"A tiny delay?"

"Now sit down or I reconsider my decision." a now visibly annoyed Taylor told her.

Even though her team was still missing she managed to disgruntle Taylor a bit so that was at least something.

"Welcome to the fourth annual Stars Hollow Eating Contest." she heard Taylor say through the microphone.

to be continued...

Part 3: The contest starts

All she could do for now was to go to her table (number 9), sit down and wait how things would develop. While Taylor was giving a long introduction speech with lots of self praise she looked around the other tables. Two tables away sat her direct neighbors Babette and Morey Dell, the short plump gossip-monger and the lanky man of few words. Of the other 12 teams she knew the majority of the members, some of them were friends, others just people she sometimes saw on the street and greeted. There were only about eight to ten people she had never seen before. What surprised her was that Kirk, who was a geeky oddball even by Lorelai's extremely tolerant standards, sat on one table with two of those unknown people. She didn't even know that Kirk had any friends, let alone two big hefty guys who in fact looked like they would rather hang him on a flagpole by his pants than hang out with him. She was glad for him though because after all he was a nice guy despite his oddness and socializing with other men would certainly do him good.

Taylor's speech was done so Lorelai did not have any more time to think about Kirk because the first round was about to begin. Waiters placed a plate with fifteen relatively small McDonald's sized Hamburgers in the middle of each table. Each team would have 10 minutes to finish it and then the next round would start. Now obviously five Burgers for one person is a completely different story than fifteen. Not only was it far more to eat - the real challenge was having to finish it in time. Having less than one minute for each burger certainly meant that there was no time to waste for her and so she started to dig in. She could hear her name quite often from the audience by people who were wondering why she was eating alone but for now this did not bother her, she wanted to defend her streak. But Lorelai was not he only one who had a streak to defend. After only two minutes and 2/3rd of one Hamburger Morey held his stomach, expressed that he ate too much and Babette called it quits with him. It was the fourth year in a row that they finished last place and they left the stage amid the applause of the crowd.

"You tried your best Morey." Miss Patty chanted at him while he waved at the audience.

Barely in time Lorelai managed to finish all of her Burgers. Without much delay the next round started and Hot Dogs were served, again 15 for each team and ten minutes to finish them. The Hot Dogs like the rest of the food was provided by one of the only three delivery services of the town who sponsored the event. In a wealthy but small town like Stars Hollow delivery services do not make money by skimping on quality and profiting off the casual customers but by pleasing their regulars with high quality and demanding high prices (and it goes without saying that Lorelai was a regular of all three delivery services). So even though the size of the burgers was similar to one from McDonald's the meat just tasted like real grilled meat should taste and you could feel that the buns came fresh out of a bakery and were not warmed up frozen food. The high quality helped Lorelai out because eating loads of flavorless food would have been much harder than feasting on these delicious treats.

Not surprisingly Lorelai still felt pressured with the situation. It was not (yet) the amount of food that concerned her though. She could eat a lot but her problem was that she was not used to eat so fast. Usually she would eat spread over a whole evening watching one or two movies with occasional breaks to give her stomach a bit time to settle. Today however there was no such luck for her stomach as she dug into the load of Hot Dogs in front of her. With only a bit time left she once again succeeded in finishing the load and was glad that this time there would be a short pause.

Exhausted she leaned back into her chair to catch her breath and for the first time since the contest started she spent a bit of time looking at her environment. She was certainly the big talk in the hall. The spectators as well as her friends in the audience were irritated because they had no clue of why Lorelai was eating alone but nonetheless they were impressed by her performance so far. Surprised she noticed that already two other teams had dropped out already after Babette and Morey but then she remembered that most people did not take this contest as serious as she did and ten pieces of fast food might just be too much for some of them.

Her observations were interrupted when two young adults in Jeans and T-Shirt busted through the door. "The reinforcements have finally arrived" Lorelai thought to herself when she saw Rory and Dean. The murmur in the audience quickly shifted from irritated to relieved because almost everyone knew the young couple and it was easy to figure out what had been going on. The two took a short look around the hall and when they found Lorelai they hasted straight to her table. Dean sat down at the table with an apologetic smile on his face whereas the less fit Rory had to catch her breath first.

"How can you be out of breath from that little run?" Dean teased her.

"I wasn't warmed up." Rory answered him jokingly and Dean had to laugh.

"You really should come jogging with me."

"Jogging? Yeah that sounds good. How about next year?"

"OK I get it. Sports is not your favorite pastime. But your lack of stamina is still alarming." he kept teasing her and gave her a kiss that Rory answered gladly.

Lorelai gave a little cough and the lovey-dovey couple remembered the world around them. Rory apologized deeply for being late. The two had simply forgotten the time. The painful expression on her face made it clear that she felt really bad about her mistake. Rory asked when the contest would start and Lorelai explained quickly what had happened so far. Rory was glad, but also very surprised when she heard how her mother kept the team in the competition.

“I wouldn't have thought this is even possible but it is you after all.” she told her with a broad smile on her face.

Taylor quickly announced that Lorelai's team was now complete and that round 3 could be started when suddenly Kirk stood up and started to speak in his unique voice:

"Taylor, I raise objection on that decision. It is not fair that the Lorelai team suddenly gets two new members!" he said and earned disapproving looks from everyone in the hall.

"Kirk...what? Of course they can join in now. I have already allowed it." Taylor answered.

"This is a scandal. It is unfair and I cannot accept that."

Taylor was really surprised. Usually Kirk was an obedient, introverted guy and certainly not someone who spoke back to him. It was especially weird because what he said didn't even make sense:

"Kirk, you can find it unfair but you will have to accept it. There is no rule that forces the whole team to be present at the start. I know that because I made the rules myself. And of course it is fair. There is no advantage in coming late so I don't see anything wrong with my rules. Participants are just forbidden to leave the table once they sat down and that did not happen. I made my decision, and now sit down and let's go on. We are already delayed by over seven minutes." Seven minutes was a lot for Taylor Doose and Kirk had nothing more to say.

But now Lorelai was curious. There was something fishy here with Kirk's team, his odd behavior (odd even by Kirk's standards) and the angry way he said "Team Lorelai" - a bit like a North Korean news woman would say "Team USA".  So she wanted to know what was going on: "Kirk. Why are you doing this? And who are these guys anyways? I have never seen them."

"If you really want to know ... Lorelai ..." Kirk stood up and posed in a overly dramatic stance, like a hero in a movie who was getting ready to fight because his disguise was just unveiled by the villain: "You defeated me at the dance marathon this year. That was my contest. So I made this team to take away your contest. How do yo like that? How do you like that Lorelai?" The audience wasn't sure if they should laugh him down or be shocked. Just like Lorelai most people somewhat liked Kirk so they decided to stay quiet and wait how things would develop.

"Huh, that is how it is. I can't believe it." Lorelai said. It took her a bit of time to understand the situation but when she did it made her quite angry. Kirk must have paid these two high-school dropouts to help him take revenge on her by beating her in this contest. Which was especially surprising because two minutes ago she didn't know he even held the slightest grudge against her. She knew Kirk took the dance marathon way too serious but this was too much she thought. In that dance marathon Rory and her had earned a nice trophy. On top of that, because she insisted on wearing high heels "for the dancing feeling" instead of sneakers like her daughter, the contest had also earned her also a nice couple of blisters that took two weeks to go away. They had beaten him fair and square. Lorelai felt that even though Kirk was Kirk and you never knew what you would get with him he shouldn't have done that.

She took another look at his team and estimated that the two were somewhere in their late 20s or early 30s. They were apparently not setting great value on looking like they already took a shower this week and probably needed Kirk's money for booze or their rent. But they were also quite large and most likely could really pack it away. They seemed not overly happy with the way their team captain behaved but they even less looked like they could spare the money Kirk would pay them for this.

From time to time Lorelai could be a person who does irrational things when she gets emotional and this was one of those times and she did it with a smile on her face.

"Taylor, I agree with Kirk. Allowing additional people into my team would be unfair." she stated and just like Kirk she earned a ton of surprised looks from everyone.

Part 4: Lorelai vs. Three

"What is this about again, Lorelai?" a visibly confused Taylor asked, summarizing everyone's thoughts pretty well.

"I just think that Kirk was right. My team can sit here, but not compete. It would be unfair to the others." Lorelai answered, still with that odd smile on her face. She knew that it was not only anger that made her say this.

"Well, fine, it is your choice, I don't care. We are delayed anyway so round three starts now." Taylor said before Rory or Dean could object and the contest went on.

"Yeah, what is this about again, Lorelai?" A confused and angry Rory repeated Taylor's question, quietly enough that only the people on their table could hear. Despite the fact that she was whispering you could tell that she was angry and irritated. Not only because of the unsympathetic tone in her voice but also because she called her mother by her forename which she only does in certain cases. Meanwhile Dean just sat there surprised, not knowing what to do or say.

"I think this is a good time to teach a few lessons." Lorelai answered, adopting the same tone that her daughter used. "I teach you two the lesson to not be late and Kirk gets the lesson to not be so mean."

"Are you completely crazy now? You are late about a hundred times more often than me. And how does losing to Kirk teach him anything?" and the tone of Rory's whispering sounded like she rather would like to be screaming.

"You apparently still don't know me very well if you underestimate me like that. I never said I would lose." Lorelai stated, now gently biting her smiling lower lips unconsciously.

Rory was dumbfounded for a moment (which happens about once each year). The look on Lorelai's face showed unlimited confidence, almost condescension. But not only that, it was something more. It took a while until Rory made up her mind and saw what it was. It was greed. The expression on her face reminded her of a car salesman who was about to sell a lousy overpriced car to a a clueless 18 year old.

"Oh, I see how it is. This is not about you teaching lessons, this is about you being gluttonous." Rory summarized her thoughts.

"Don't be silly Rory."

"Oh yeah, you just decided to compete one on three and I am the silly one."

"The next round starts, I can't discuss with you anymore." Lorelai told her daughter even though she knew that Rory was right. This was about her being gluttonous. Deep inside her she would have liked it if Rory and Dean were just a little bit too late for round three. Deep inside her she would have liked to go for another round alone. But she had only noticed this feeling when she for some reason had hoped that Taylor would have decided against her team, when she was disappointed with Taylor's decision regarding Kirk's stupid request. Once she had located the source of that disappointment it went quickly. Being a spontaneous person who values randomness higher than reason she decided to just go with the wild idea. Stuffing all that food into herself during the first two rounds felt great and she wanted more of that, curious to see how far she could go. She also wanted to teach Kirk a lesson but more importantly she was intrigued by the challenge of a three vs one.

"Fine, I hope you'll pop." Rory told her to end the discussion.

"I love you too." was Lorelai's answer.

The rounds would be alternating between Hamburgers and Hot Dogs until a winner was found so the next round would be a repetition of round one. Lorelai dug in again while her team partners (and everyone else) stared at her, Rory angrily with crossed arms and Dean simply confused with an awkward smile on his face. He clearly felt uncomfortable with the whole situation - being in the center of attention of the whole hall and being caught in between two whispering arguing women - but right now he could not do much about it.

Knowing that her self-imposed task would not be an easy one Lorelai paid attention to flush down the food with as little water as possible in order to not burden her stomach with anything unnecessary. The food was as tasty as before. She was focused and ate in a fast pace. Without staining her dress in the slightest bit and with a perfectly clean face Lorelai managed to finish the round. She did it barely in time but she made it look easy. At the end of round three only a few teams were left. One of them was of course Team Kirk, though their team leader already showed clear signs of weakness, reeling in his chair and visibly breathing heavy.

"How are you?" Rory asked.

"I'm fine, thanks. Why do you ask?" her mother replied with a mischievous smile.

"I am just curious when you will explode so I can duck and cover." Rory replied, still paying attention to be low-voiced enough that nobody else would hear her but with enough sarcasm in her voice to make someone who saw her here for the first time in that moment get a very wrong impression of her. Rory is usually like an angel. She is honest, always willing to put others over herself and it is unlikely to ever meet a nicer person than her. But if someone tries to take advantage of her she will let that person know and if she feels that someone tries to jerk her around she can be sure that she will not let her get away with it.

"I'm sorry for throwing you off the team." Lorelai calmly responded in an unusually pliable voice. At this point she didn't want to pick another fight. Partly because Rory had all the right to be sore but mostly because she was quite busy with the contest.

She was hiding it perfectly but she was clearly getting full. Had she overestimated herself? Had her eyes been bigger than her belly? Despite her general Laissez-faire attitude towards life she has an iron will and a very level of high self-control if she wants to. On an important day she could go to work for 12 hours with a sore throat, a splitting headache and 102°F and nobody would even notice that something is wrong with her. Her house is rarely tidied up and she consumes masses of fast food and coffee but none of these things are the way they are because she lacks restraint. She simply prefers to have a bit of chaos around her and to live on junk food. She felt really good after round two but forcing fifteen more Hamburgers into her already quite filled stomach so quickly had more impact on her than she expected.

The next round followed without much delay and that impact from the previous rounds showed. Despite Lorelai's best efforts to keep her grace she couldn't hide the fact that the contest was starting to take a toll on her.

She was far from being a conceited person but she was a strong woman and she hated to show weakness towards anyone except her closest friends. No one had ever seen Lorelai burp or hiccup in public but at this point it was simply impossible for her to keep it from happening. The gurgling and sloshing in her stomach rarely stopped and she had to breath heavier than she would have liked to.

to be continued...

Part 5: The conclusion

During round four it was obvious that Lorelai had to force herself to keep eating. Her mouth got drier with each bite and she was forced to abandon her conservative water intake. Washing down the burgers with more and more water in order to keep up the pace bloated her stomach even more. Nonetheless she managed to once again pull through.

The only two teams left after this round were team Lorelai and team Kirk. All others were out because twenty pieces of fast food were simply too much for an average stomach with little ambition to win.

"I... am... so... full..." Lorelai moaned while holding her belly that was bulging out her noble Bordeaux dress.

"Do you expect me to pity you? You brought it all on yourself with your greed." Rory answered, still pushy.

"Thanks for your support honey." she kept moaning.

"If you wanted my support you shouldn't have thrown me off our team. And by the way, just in case you didn't notice, you have thirty Hamburgers and thirty Hot Dogs inside of you. You should quit now because this can't be healthy." Rory remarked with a mixture of ironic strictness and serious concern.

"Quit? No way, I am fine. I got this. I'll show them, they will go down." Lorelai said while heaving herself back into a straight position. And team Kirk indeed looked not too good either. Kirk himself has not touched anything since round the end of round three and his two goons have been slowing down as well.

Round five started and the lack of encouragement from her daughter was more than compensated by the support from audience who was almost exclusively on her side. Knowing that even she was at the limit of her capability she dug into the stack of food for the last time of the day. The usually so graceful Lorelai burped and munched and huffed and puffed like a drunk lumberjack wolfing down a greasy meat loaf in a dirty bar. Her dress remained unstained but she soon had a ketchup mouth like an eight year old kid who decided to eat his fries without his hands.

Her belly protested heavily but she kept going. Ten minutes later when the round ended she had done it. She had finished everything in front of her while her opponents had only finished half of their plate. The title was successfully defended. She fell back into her chair, holding her belly. Never before in her life she had eaten so much. Her usually perfectly flat soft belly was hard as a rock and bulged out her dress like she was a pregnant woman in her seventh or eighth month.

Team Kirk disintegrated quickly. The two goons who looked like they were about to throw up immediately left the hall to never be seen again in Stars Hollow while Kirk slowly wandered out of the hall in defeat like a beaten dog. For a moment Lorelai felt pity for him but for now she had other things to worry about and would set things straight with him later. After all he was just Kirk and she couldn't really be mad at him.

She wiped her mouth clean, straightened her back and put her smile back on. Somehow she managed to look classy in this odd situation. The trophy award, Taylor's congratulation speech and the dozens of compliments from her friends and from strangers went by in a flash because she had other things to worry about.

Her belly was incredibly bloated. It sloshed whenever she moved, a feeling that she usually liked a lot though this time it might have been a bit too much. She was not about to throw up but she definitely overate badly. She wasn't sure about how she felt. The feeling in her belly was double-edged, it hurt a bit but it also was pleasurable. The pain was not too bad though and she could take it. She had overeaten before but never even close to this. She felt like an inflated beach ball and came to the conclusion that she enjoyed it.

She also felt that she really needed to lay down soon but she grinned and beared it. With a smile on her face and in her friendliest voice she thanked everyone who congratulated her, ensured that she was okay to everyone who was worried and answered a ton of other questions before she left with her team.

"Rory, can I drive with you? I think I have to rest a bit. We can go and get my car later today. Or tomorrow." she asked her daughter as soon as they were out of the hall.

"Sure. Shall I drive you directly to the hospital or do you want to go home first?"

"I am fine. I just need to relax a bit..."

"OK, can you relax at Luke's then? Because Dean and I are hungry and that is where we want to go."

"What a compassionate daughter I have raised." Lorelai noticed. "Are you still mad about me throwing you off the team?"

"I am mad about that, yes. And I am mad about you eating more than a human being should be able to. Do you realize that Joey Chestnut stopped at sixty something Hot Dogs? You had 75 pieces."

"Yeah, but he also had like five times less time than me and he always points out that he could eat far more with more time."

"Good point, but still. This was freaky, even for you."

" I am sorry for throwing you off the team. Sure we can go to Luke's. Do you forgive me?"

"Fine, I forgive you. “ Rory accepted the apology. “Do you really not want to go home first?" Lorelai shook her head, smiled and Rory gave her a careful hug.

The car Rory was driving has been a present by Dean for Rory for their anniversary. Over the course of many weeks he had restored a junk car into a formidable vehicle with his own hands. Lorelai immediately laid down on the relatively comfortable backseat: "Please drive careful honey, I won't buckle up." she told Rory.

"Do you want me to drive you home so you can really rest?" Rory asked her nce again, back in her usual sweet and nice voice.

"No, I am fine. And what would our victory be without a little celebration?" Lorelai answered laying on her back with a broad smile on her face.

It was already dark outside when they arrived 20 minutes later and the normally crowded Luke's Diner was empty. In most places of the United States a Saturday evening is a good time for selling food but not so in a sleepy little town like Stars Hollow where everyone leads a regular life and Saturday evenings are used for watching TV and not for going out.

Part 6: The Celebration

Despite being a food junkie Lorelai never cooks (she lives on Cereals, Sweets, delivery food - and Luke) and Luke from Luke's Diner makes the best food and the best coffee in town. For these reasons Rory and Lorelai eat basically every day at Luke's. He feeds them. They are his best customers and over the years they have also become very close friends. They help each other in times of need and support each other wherever they can. Over the years Luke has become something like an uncle for Rory, he is extremely protective of her and when he hears about her success in school he is proud of her. Lorelai and Luke have always been very close but they never made the final step. They tease each other at every opportunity but so far it has not turned into something romantic or sexual.

"So how did your stupid contest go?" Luke asked. It was neither surprising nor a secret that the health-conscious Luke didn't like the contest.

"It is not a stupid contest." the less health-conscious Lorelai answered while hiding her belly under the table. She did a good job at hiding it. She walked into the diner backwards and immediately sat down directly at the table. The vigilant Luke noticed her moonwalk but did not think anything of it because it was not unusual that the unusual Lorelai did unusual things like walking backwards for no reason.

"Fine, it is not stupid. Then how did your dumb contest go?"

"You don't want to know." she told him.

"What do you mean you don't want to know."

"That you don't want to know." she repeated and the two sounded like an old couple.

"How did the contest go?" Luke asked, turning to Rory.

"Lorelai is right, for once. You don't want to know." she told him. She really did not want Luke to know that his best friend had more than 16 pounds of fast food in her stomach. She had done the math like she always does when she is bored and has numbers at hand. She knew from the advertisements that the Burgers and Hot Dogs weighed 100 gram each including bun and fixings, multiplied it by 75 and converted it to pounds.

"You know I am a grown man right.” Luke told her and interrupted her thoughts “And that means that you should show some respect for me and let me decide myself what I want to know and what not. "

"Just trust me Luke, it is better for you if you don't know." she said with a smile knowing that it was all good fun between them and that he likes it when they mess with him a bit. But she seriously did not want to witness Luke's reaction when he gets to know what happened. He will ask Miss Patty or Babette when he sees them the next time so there will be some time for him to calm down before they see each again.

"Okay so you don't want to tell me. Dean, tell me what happened." Luke said, now being far more curious than he would ever admit.

"I am sorry Mr. Danes." Dean answered a bit intimidated "but they have forbidden me to tell you.” They had indeed agreed to not tell Luke and for the same reason they had left the trophy in the car.

"Fine, whatever.” Luke gave up when Dean turned not out to be the weak link of the chain like he expected.  “I don't even care about that idiotic contest anyway. It is unhealthy, unethical and stupid. What do you want to order?"

"I want a big plate with fries, three Cheeseburgers and a big coffee." Rory immediately answered.

"So I figure the contest didn't take place?" Luke concluded.

"You don't want..." Rory tried to explain but got interrupted by Like.

"I don't want to know, I understand. Dean, what do you want?"

"For me the same that Rory has."

"Okay. Lorelai?" Luke asked, turning towards her while Rory dedicated herself back to Dean realizing that her boyfriend deserved more of her attention. She smiled at him, he smiled back and they kissed.

"Hmm...maybe a small slice of that blueberry cake." Lorelai's answer earned her the same surprised looks from Rory and Luke, though for different reasons.

"A small slice?" Luke who had expected a similarly big order asked.

"Hmm... a medium slice."

"OK, a medium slice."

"With whipped cream."

“A medium slice with whipped cream.” Luke repeated and with that he was gone to prepare their orders.

"You really ordered something... that is it. You are crazy. I will get you committed. There is a nice comfy mental asylum right in the outskirts of Hartford." Rory hissed at her immediately after Luke was out of hearing range.

"Come on... what would a victory celebration be without some cake?"

"Sane?"

"Are you calling me insane again huh?”

“Yes I am. I'll visit you twice a week in your new home in Hartford, if I find the time. Do you have any idea how much food you have already eaten?”

“I don't know. A lot?”

“Almost 17 pounds.”

“That's epic! Aren't you proud of me?"

"Proud for what? Proving to the world that you are its biggest glutton?"

For the poor Dean who was once again left without any attention from his sweet girlfriend this was one of the moments in which he remembered that he was in company of two very special women and he instinctively did the best thing a man could do when two women argued: lean back and not get involved. Especially when they were just messing around.

Mother and daughter soon were best friends again and it became a very nice evening for all three of them. Rory and Dean were both very hungry because they had neither eaten anything prior to the contest nor during it. So they finished their food and a few rounds of dessert quickly while Lorelai on the other hand had trouble to stuff her delicious piece of cake into her bulging belly but eventually succeeded.

They soon left to head home where they separated. Rory finally found some private time for her boyfriend again and they kissed the whole evening in her room. Rory was still not ready for the last step but soon she would be, she thought to herself. She loved Dean, but that was not all. What made things perfect for her was that he respected her decision to wait even though it was hard for him. Whenever he told her it wasn't important for him it was obvious for her that he did not tell the whole truth but that was a good thing and he tried his best to convince her. No pressure, no eye rolling, just a lot of patience. And that was what mattered. Very soon but not today, she was sure.

Downstairs Lorelai laid down on the couch without even bothering tp take off her shoes. In front of the TV she almost immediately fell into a deep dreamless sleep for several hours. It was already in the middle of the night when she woke up. Dean was long gone and Rory was long asleep. For a few seconds she had no idea where she was. The fullness in her belly was the first thing that reminded her of the events of the evening and she quickly pulled herself together. She was proud of herself. Her stomach still rumbled and gurgled but the satisfaction clearly outweighed the little discomfort. Her belly felt great and it would settle soon like it always does.

Nonetheless when she walked upstairs through the quiet house she knew that something was still missing. Falling asleep alone on the couch was not what she wanted any longer. She wanted someone to keep her awake in situations like the evening before. She missed a man in her life. She had restrained herself for so many years now in order to offer Rory the most stable environment to grow up that she could muster. Lorelai was volatile and she knew it. What was love today could easily be boredom tomorrow and Rory was too important to take any risks. So she made strict rules for herself that she had managed to follow with almost no exceptions: no relationships, no affairs, not even real flirting, nothing that would give Rory false hopes and cause her to suffer once these bonds would be broken.

But Rory was grown up now and just like it would be silly to keep covering the power outlets forever there was no reason anymore to still be alone. She thought to herself that even if she married Kevin Federline the next day and made the gossip news because she got involved in a drunken fist fight with her new husband it wouldn't screw up Rory anymore. She had to smile at the silly thoughts that her sleepy head produced but also knew that it was true. There was no reason to be alone anymore except for the powerful force of habit and it was overdue to break that habit. She would be careful to stay away from Mr. Federline but other than that there was nothing to fear.

Still in her high heels she walked upstairs and got herself ready for bed. Finally taking off her restricting clothes and switching into her far more comfortable pajamas and wool socks was a great relief. She drank several glasses of tap water to fight her dry throat, washed off the makeup with cold water, dried her face and went to bed where she slept until early noon.