Reactions to Accidental College Gain

Baedesty

I unintentionally packed on about 60 pounds first 2 years of college. I was always a fit, trim athlete but the partying and college lifestyle caught up to me. I just had my annual physical on Friday and I was told that I need to lose 50 pounds (I'm short). I was telling friends about how shocked I was and they teased, "For real? The way we eat and party, I'm surprised we're not bigger." Holidays, the teasing comes in very quick. Getting the belly pinched, "This is new. Too much beer and pizza? College lifestyle. Be careful, it's not easy to lose." Also got my side roles pinched, "You get bigger every time we see you, what are you doing about this belly of yours that you are getting." I personally would like to lose weight, but I'm into gain of others (if they like it, of course!). So I'm interested on what reaction others have gotten from the college pounds!

• 4 weeks later...

My now wife was maybe ~ 170 lbs or so upon entering college; she actually gained most of her weight last year of high school- she continued to swim, but stopped track and field (she was a sprinter and hurdler) and put on maybe 35 lbs (at 5’7”-5’8”).  We started as friends (she was already dating someone), but then lost touch for about a year from sophomore into junior year.  During that time, she was no longer dating her BF, wasn’t really seeing anyone steady and had lost a significant amount of weight, down to under 120 lbs at one point.  While we were dating in college plus a year or two after she mostly weighed around 126 and 133 (definitely and mostly under 140).  Well, the years after college saw her base weight increase from 140 to 150 to 160, then we got engaged... wedding diet back down to 133 lbs for our wedding date (in 8/2011).  And now, 8 years later, a move to the south, plus two kids... current weight is likely around 190+ lbs (she was for sure 185 lbs on 9/5 doctors visit- she had gained 20 lbs since 1/21).  Her eating/ drinking/ weekly habits haven’t changed much since September, so I expect she’s gained another 5+ lbs since then.  I for one couldn’t be happier as I can’t keep my eyes and hands off of her... and she knows it!  I think she’s finally grown comfortable with her increased weight knowing my preferences.  I can’t remember the last time she’s exercised and she certainly isn’t dieting.

with all that^ said, if you’ve accidentally gained 60 lbs, experience w my wife at least says it takes a lot of unnecessary work to keep oneself at a “healthy weight.”  Exercise is important, good for the mind, heart and body; lose weight if you want to, but don’t be discouraged if you don’t lose weight or even gain more weight.  What’s most important is how you feel about yourself, stay body positive.  Be honest with yourself and with others.  If you are, guessing you’ll easily find a gaining partner (or friend) and from there, who knows... anyway, good luck!  Any before after pics of your 60 pound gain?!  If you were to lose weight, 50 lbs is a lot, but certainly doable over time.  Lose it quickly and the more likely you’d be to gain it all back and more... Lose 50, gain 65, etc.  

accidental weight gain... i like that the tone of that. i definitely gain some notable weight during college and... friend say nothing, only one say hey you gained some weight, which was obvious so... yeah i did, give me another beer, and from the family front. my mom who is a fat-hater has some stronger comments but by that age you get to learn how to deal with that so it didn't have much of an impact even do i do resorted to getting in a more balanced lifestyle and ended up losing some weight 

For those of you who don't know, my fiancée began college with a toned bikini bod...

1607641550_1071585_10151577128903214_755385545_ocopy.thumb.jpg.0acd131c0c792cdbb5e684c3fb43092a.jpg

...and proceeded to eat and drink her way to 20 pounds the first year and another 20 pounds the second year, all going to her "beer belly" and leaving the rest of her pretty skinny. Which has tended to attract some surprising reactions.

One of the first good reactions to her gain was when she fell asleep at a party in this position, shirt riding up and beer belly exposed to all the world:

2076604298_IMG_0543copy.thumb.JPG.bdaef95643a60b51e32ef25e3c246a2d.JPG

Definitely attracted some looks and whispers about how the former track star was eating a bit too much now that high school track was over. Eventually, the only ones who hadn't seen her belly yet were her parents back home. That led to a pretty brutal discussion her first time going back home for Thanksgiving, when they walked in on her changing her shirt before dinner at her grandparents and saw this:

IMG-0214.thumb.JPG.5a85b1d4ba5e20f1931d744ec2a97be3.JPG

What a lecture. I raised you to be healthy, those pants fit you perfectly just last year, it's shameful to let yourself go that much, blah blah blah. Luckily she didn't really internalize any of it and continues to gorge herself on snacks and booze to this day.